Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 pm

German
- Memrise (verb conjugations)
- Speechling

Minimal German again.

Italian:
- Rereading: Pista nera by Antonio Manzini (starting soon)
- Reading/Recording: Il mondo secondo Garp by John Irving / translated by Pier Francesco Paolini (55%)
- MHz Choice: Don Matteo S9E15-18 (223 mins)
- MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni S2E5-6 (163 mins)
- Netflix: Summertime S1E1-8 (338 mins)
- Podcast: Mangia come parli (95 mins)
- Speechling
- two italki sessions (125 mins)

I listened to two episodes of Mangia come parli. Subjects were uova, capretto e colomba and legumi e piselli. And I watched a lot of MHz Choice and Netflix due to my general laziness lately.

I completed reading/recording another Luca Novelli book. Dante e le infernali scienze. While most of this series is science based this one obviously wasn't. It was about his life and overview of La Divina Commedia. Almost made me want to read it but I probably never will. It had the usual mini dictionary and a third section of a future interview with Dante. This book didn't follow the 128 page "rule" that the others did coming in at 152. For SC I only use half the pages.

dante.jpg

I've decided to switch to reading/recording the Garp book because at the rate of 5 mins a night I'm never going to finish this long book. I seem to fall asleep soon after starting it at night. I'm going to be rereading Pista nera because I'm starting it in Portuguese soon and want to use it as backup.

Portuguese:
- Reading: Pista Negra by Antonio Manzini / translated by Mauricio Santana Dias & Solange Pinheiro (just started)
- Reading: A Caixa de Papelão by Arthur Conan Doyle / translated by Maria Luiza X de A Borges (54%)
- Podcast: Assim Assado: E2-4 (1194 mins)

I have gotten lazy and not done much with Portuguese. I am reading a Sherlock Holmes book that is actually a short story. Amazon has a 5-6 of these. I don't much like it so won't be getting anymore but still plan to finish it. Too much unknown vocabulary and it feels stilted but I think that's also the case in English though it's been years since I've read one.

After being so busy in recent months I finally have plenty of time to study but naturally I don't feel like it now. Instead I mostly watch Italian because it's easy. I hope to motivate myself again soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:11 pm

German
- Speechling

Minimal German yet again. Can't seem to motivate myself to return to it.

Italian:
- Reading: Verso Sud by Emilia Marasco (28%)
- Reading/Recording: Il mondo secondo Garp by John Irving / translated by Pier Francesco Paolini (74%)
- MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni S2E7-8 (118 mins)
- Podcast: Mangia come parli (251 mins)
- Speechling
- one italki session (125 mins)

I listened to five episodes of Mangia come parli. Subjects were gli asparagi, la Barba dei frati, le ortiche, le herbe aromantiche and zucchine, fiori di zucca, tenerumi. I don't recall seeing the word tenerumi before but they are the greens from a Sicilian summer squash plant that appears to be similar to zucchini.

As it turned out it wasn't necessary to reread Pista nera as the Portuguese version of the book isn't particularly difficult. My italki tutor is on holiday until mid September so there won't be any speaking for a while. I'm hoping to finish the Garp book by the end of the month.

Portuguese:
- Reading: Pista Negra by Antonio Manzini / translated by Mauricio Santana Dias & Solange Pinheiro (18%)
- Podcast: Assim Assado: E5-20 (948 mins)

As mentioned in a previous post Assim Assado is mostly a series of interview with Portuguese speaking chefs however there was a special episode on knives.

It is pretty apparent I've not done much with my languages in the last month. Motivation still seems to be missing. I hope to find it soon. :oops:
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm

German
- Tatort: Weimar S1E2-3 (175 mins)
- Assimil #13 (review)
- Memrise (verb conjugations & Assimil course)
- Speechling

I finally managed to do something in German. Prior to my German course I had redone Assimil #1-12 so I started back at #13 and will attempt to do a couple units each week. I watched two more episodes of Tatort: Weimar as I wasn't sure if I liked it after the first episode. It's OK but the story lines are a bit far fetched so I may switch to something else.

Italian:
- Reading: La stanza di sopra by Rosella Postorino (22%)
- Reading/Recording: Il mondo secondo Garp by John Irving / translated by Pier Francesco Paolini (80%)
- MHz Choice: Don Matteo S9E19-20 (114 mins)
- Speechling

In the past I had tried to do some moocs through Federica Web Learning (Università di Napoli Federico II) but their interface was so dated I found it difficult to use so always gave up. I got an email from them recently that they've updated the interface so I decided to check it out. I gave one course a try but it was way over my head so I gave up after the first lesson. I then looked for something else and remembered they had a course called Pizza Revolution which I've signed up for and will start later today. While the interface is better than it was it's still not as good as edX which I consider to be the best of all the ones I've tried.

I finished reading Verso Sud by Emilia Marasco. It is a light book about a woman who always had a strained relationship with her standoffish mother. After her mother dies she finds some old pictures as well as a wedding dress and infant clothing so goes off to try to find out what happened. Overall it was a pretty predictable but easy read.

versosud.jpeg

Portuguese:
- Reading: Pista Negra by Antonio Manzini / translated by Mauricio Santana Dias & Solange Pinheiro (24%)
- PTLab: voz passiva
- youtube: História Das Antigas #5 Macumba Na Cachoeira (Kiko Loureiro of Megadeth) (12 mins)
- Podcast: Assim Assado: E21-25 (223 mins)

My husband's favorite band is Megadeth (not my genre) and I heard him listening to Kiko the lead guitarist (in English) recently. Because I liked his accent I asked about him and found out he was Brazilian. Most of his videos are in English (with Portuguese subtitles) but there are a few História Das Antigas episdoes so I'll at least listen to those. He adds English subtitles to his Portuguese videos. He mentioned that his audience is about half Brazilians and half International so it's a bit of a dilemma to decide what language to use though it seems like there are more English ones than Portuguese. He also wrote a book last year so I'll have to get it. I'm breaking my European Portuguese only rule just because I like his voice. 8-)

It's unfortunate that I find the Brazilian Portuguese easier to understand then the European but I'm probably never going to go to Brazil and plan to spend more time in Portugal in the future so I need it more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:53 pm

lingua wrote:I finished reading Verso Sud by Emilia Marasco. It is a light book about a woman who always had a strained relationship with her standoffish mother. After her mother dies she finds some old pictures as well as a wedding dress and infant clothing so goes off to try to find out what happened. Overall it was a pretty predictable but easy read.

versosud.jpeg
Was there a Citroen 2CV in the plot, or did the cover artist just want to add some zing?
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:11 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Was there a Citroen 2CV in the plot, or did the cover artist just want to add some zing?

:lol:

Probably zing. I don't recall that they even mentioned the make of car other than it was small. Which is pretty typical in Italy.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:29 pm

lingua wrote:...It's unfortunate that I find the Brazilian Portuguese easier to understand then the European but I'm probably never going to go to Brazil and plan to spend more time in Portugal in the future so I need it more.

Ironically, I have spent more time in Portugal than I have in Brazil and concentrated on Brazilian Portuguese. Still there is a sizeable Brazilian population there. Obviously there are a lot in Lisbon, but you'll find Brazilians all over Portugal- even in small villages well off the beaten path. Not to mention that there is a large Brazilian tourist contingent. In Lisbon, you'll meet Angolans; Caboverdianos; Mozambicans; Goans. I even met a bartender from São Tome.

I never had a problem understanding or being understood in Portugal. I was greeted warmly and treated well. They were just glad I could speak Portuguese.
5 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:13 am

German
- Assimil #14-15

Poor German is still getting shorted.

Italian:
- MHz Choice: Don Matteo S9E21-22 (111 mins)
- MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S3E1-2 (203 mins)
- mooc: Pizza Revolution Lesson 1 / Unit 1-2

I finished three Italian books. I've yet to start a new one instead taking some time to read in English and Portuguese.

Il mondo secondo Garp by John Irving (translated by Pier Francesco Paolini). The translation seemed decent to me. I didn't find this book very enjoyable though I have no complaints about the writing. Overall it was too long and too violent sexually. I also didn't find any of the characters likable outside of perhaps Duncan the son of Garp and Helen.

garp.jpeg

La stanza di sopra by Rosella Potorino. This is about a teen named Ester. Her father stays in a room upstairs and doesn't speak nor move though we never really know specifially what is wrong with him. Her mother is a teacher who is consumed with taking care of him. Ester is left to her own devices and skips school, smokes, drinks, hangs out with unsavory boys (one of whom is much older and takes advantage). While I had no trouble with the vocabulary I found the writing style difficult at times mostly because it sometimes changed tenses and I wasn't even sure who was talking. Most of the book was first person in Ester's voice so I got used to it. Ester talks about the past, present and future sometimes changing rather abruptly. Nobody else in the book had a name. They were always described instead. The book is about the emotional pain of Ester though she tries to present herself as more of an independent free spirit. It was overall rather sad.

lastanzadisopra.jpg

Qualcosa di vero by Barbara Fiorio. Giulia is a successful publicist and lives next door to a young girl named Rebecca. Rebecca is often home alone in the evening while her mother works. She is scared of the dark so she goes into the hall of the apartment and over time Giulia tells her the true fairy tales by Grimm, Anderson, etc) rather than the sanitized Disney versions. Rebecca's mother doesn't much like Giulia but about half way through the book she has a crisis with her estranged abusive husband so Giulia helps her. There's also a side story with Giulia and her long time male colleague and close friend. I didn't like this much because I'm not a fan of fairy tales sanitized or not and it was a significant part of the book.

qualcosadivero.jpg

Portuguese:
- Reading: Pista Negra by Antonio Manzini / translated by Mauricio Santana Dias & Solange Pinheiro (54%)
- Podcast: Assim Assado: E22-34 & I-VI (699 mins)

I'm mostly listening to Assim Assado. I mentioned before that it was the host interviewing chefs but sometimes they are other people who work in the food business. There were a few episodes interviewing people from a Gastronomy Summit in Porto where the host did a couple of the interviews in English which I obviously am not counting in my minutes. The host speaks pretty good English.
10 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:41 pm

German
- Tatort: Weimar S1E4 (87 mins)

Planning to start back up with the André Klein German readers again so I can get started on that portion of the SC. I'm only doing 1/2 a challenge for German.

Italian:
- Reading/Recording: Pasteur e il virus assassino by Luca Novelli (39%)
- MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S3E3-4 (204 mins)

I'm on a good pace with both components of the SC for Italian.

Latin:

I'm starting an online Latin course this week. It's been more than a year since I last spent any time with it. I like Latin but I think it's a language where I could use more structure as well as having easy access to getting answers to my questions.

Portuguese:
- Reading: A menina do mar by Sophia de Mello Breyner Andersen (40%)
- Reading: Por amor à língua by Manuel Monteiro (5%)
- Reading: Receitas para Animar o Apetite (49%)
- rtp.pt: O Sábio E34-39 (249 mins)
- Podcast: Assim Assado: E35-66 (1980 mins)

I've completed the rest of the Assim Assado podcast. Since the last episode was in December 2021 I assume there will be no more which I'm a little sad about as I liked it. I got to understand the host pretty well. With the guests it was hit and miss as some were much easier to understand than others. A few were annoying because of too many "ummmms" which is very distracting. For now I've returned to O Sábio and am thinking about rewatching the one Portuguese show on MHz Choice (Filha da Lei). I should understand a lot more this time around.

On the PT Lab site someone mentioned a couple of you tubers that do European Portuguese so I listened to a few of them where each episode covered some subject (expressions, grammar point, etc). One episode was on books where the presenter went through Portuguese authors in order of difficulty. I'm going to try to work through some of those books in the same order and see if that makes reading fiction easier. PT Lab has a book club which I'll participate in. We'll be reading O Mistério da Estrada de Sintra by Eça de Queiroz (or Queirós) who happens to be one of the authors on my list albeit one of the more difficult ones. Since we can ask questions it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Last, I've finished two more books.

Book #21: Pista Negra by Antonio Manzini / translated by Mauricio Santana Dias & Solange Pinheiro. This is the first book in the Rocco Schiavone series which I've already read in Italian. Usually when I reread some of my favorites I will have forgotten who did it but in this case I hadn't which made the book less fresh. Typical murder mystery.

pistanegra.jpg

Book #22: ComTradição by Henrique Sá Pessoa. This is based on one of his show series. This is the second book of his I've read and they are nicely done cookbooks with lovely photos. It's divided into North, Central, South and Islands. Within those divisions are specific cities with 3-5 classic recipes from the area and an explanation of it's history. His recipes may have a twist. The recipes are all on YouTube and I watched a few of them and may go back and watch more. For SC I only counted 50% of the pages because of the photos.

comtradição.jpg
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 pm

German

Neglected...

Italian:
- MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S3E5-6 (204 mins)
- one 60 min italki session

Completed Pasteur e il virus assassino by Luca Novelli. The usual format with the highlights of his life, mini dictionary and in this case an interview with Pasteur which is dated 27 Dec 2022 the 200 year anniversary of his germ theory discovery.

pasteur.jpg

Latin:
- Cambridge Latin Course - Unit 1

I started the Latin 101 course. We're using the Cambridge Latin Course book which uses the natural method. We're into the second chapter and so far it's pretty easy. Surprisingly, I still remember the majority of the vocabulary even after a year. There is a list of selected reading. Some related to the Roman times and others to the language or other things so I bought a handful of them. I read about half of Long Live Latin by Nicola Gardini but wasn't enjoying it so stopped. As it turns out I had bought the original Italian version (Viva il latino) several years ago but never read it. I may return to it someday if/when I'm more advanced. I just started another one on Julius Caesar which so far seems OK.

Portuguese:
- Reading: Negócios para criativos by Kiko Loureiro (11%)
- Reading: Por amor à língua by Manuel Monteiro (5%)

Mostly reading as I'm trying to get my reading caught up to where my film watching/podcasting is for the SC. I have a ways to go.

Book #23: Two short books by Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen: A menina do mar and A fada Oriana. I've mostly forgotten the first other than it's a boy who lives by the sea and talks to the ocean critters. The second is about a good fairy who is in charge of a forest and helps people. One day she saves a fish who tells her how beautiful she is (which she didn't know) so she starts looking at her reflection in the water and has a stint with vanity eventually neglecting her duties so the Queen of Fairies takes her wings and wand away. She then feels terrible and has to take action to redeem herself. It was kind of cute.

meninadomar.jpg

afadaoriana.jpg

Last I finished this short freebie I found on Kobo called Receitas para Animar o Apetite. It has an editor but doesn't specify authors though it was created by a chef and a nutritionist for cancer patients. The recipes were developed to deal with specific typical symptoms one gets from cancer treatment. Each recipe had a key as to which symptoms it's best for and which symptoms it shouldn't be eaten for.

animar.jpg
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:17 am

German
- MHz Choice: Weissensee S1E1-2 (96 mins)

Italian:
- Reading/Recording: Le cento migliori ricette di Formaggio by Luigi e Olga Tarentini Troiani (28%)
- MHz Choice: L’Alligatore S1E1-2 (114 mins)
- MHz Choice: Don Matteo S9E23-26 & S10E1 (297 mins)
- one 63 min italki session

L'Alligatore was recently added to MHz Choice and is based on the books by Massimo Carlotto. I read the first one La verità dell'Alligatore and bought the second one Il mistero di Mangiabarche which I've yet to read. The show followed the book to a degree though obviously more condensed. At first it didn't feel right because I pictured the characters differently but I adapted.

Latin:
- Cambridge Latin Course - Unit 2

Like the first unit I found the second unit pretty easy. I find the class structure different than what I'm used to for a language course. I'd say it's more focused on learning to read Latin rather than grammar though that doesn't mean we won't cover grammar. So far I'm OK with it.

I finished the Julius Caesar: pocket giants book by TP Wiseman. I didn't care for the writing. It felt like a list of things that happened in paragraph form without much detail. Some I knew and some I didn't. Now I'm reading Pompeii which is a historical fiction by Robert Harris covering the eruption of Vesuvius. It's primarily about the water engineer Attilius and his quest to fix a problem in the aquaduct. It's pretty detailed and mostly interesting to me. From my understanding the technicalities are well researched.

Portuguese:
- Reading: Negócios para criativos by Kiko Loureiro (20%)
- Grammar: PMP Basic Portuguese by Sue Tyson-Ward: Unit 1

Still reading. Started some other books but haven't yet settled on one and probably won't until I complete the Pompeii book. Decided to do some grammar review so started with a Practice Makes Perfect book. I expect the first few units to be easy. The first one certainly was.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”