Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm sorry to say that my motivation in recent weeks has been weak so I haven't done much since the last update but I'm determined to start July with an uptick in time spent studying. Primary focus is Portuguese with maintaining Italian being secondary. The rest of my languages will be on hold outside of the occasional film in German or French.

I always realized that it was stupid to have all these beginner languages at the same time but for so long I didn't want to give them up. Over time I've come to my senses naturally and stopped with them. Most likely I'll return to German late this year or early next year and French will follow at least six months after that. That should keep everything more spaced out in terms of levels.

Italian:
-Mhz Choice: Il giovane Montalbano S1E2 (112 mins)
-italki: one 66 min session

I'm reading a book but I would be too :oops: to mention the title. I'm about 10% into it. It's pretty lame but I was looking for something mindless and it fit the bill. Not sure if I'll actually finish it or move on to the new Rocco Schiavone instead.

Portuguese:
-Memrise: reviewed the verb ser
-Reading: Comida de verdade by Yotam Ottolenghi (29%)
-PTLab: Lição 1 - verbo ser
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - capítulo 1 : presente do indicativo - verbo ser
-wrote: 194 words

PTLab has restructured their course into what they call a roadmap. When I was doing the B1/B2 I stuck with the old format but with my review of A1/A2 I'm using the new format which is organized differently.

The Gramática Ativa books are exercise books by topic. I ordered 1 & 2 though I'm still waiting for 2. The publisher is Lidel and they have many Portuguese language books and readers. These two books have both a European and Brazilian version. Lidel also had a cooking related book that was similar to the two I have in Italian so of course I had to order it. The publisher states that Gramática Ativa isn't intended to be worked through chapter by chapter but instead as a topic review where needed. My intention is to match it to whatever I'm reviewing on PTLab. While PTLab has many strengths they don't have a lot of exercises.

Since I need to spend more time writing until it becomes second nature I'm using whatever sentences are in both the textbook and PTLab review sessions to create similar sentences. I'm writing by hand because I think that helps my retention. Once I'm done I'll rewrite in my Text document so I can easily get the word count. It also offers spell check which I find useful since I tend to make typos.

One thing I struggle with in my advancing years is retaining words. It takes a little longer with more repetition than it did 10-15 years ago. That's why I have so much review at the moment. In the case of the verb ser it's not that I don't already know it but more I want it to be second nature when writing it and using it properly in sentences depending on the content. Also because Portuguese has both the temp and perm form of to be I want to be able to use the right one without thinking about it.

I have one more italki lesson scheduled and then will be taking a break while I'm in my review period. Hopefully by September I'll be able to more easily recall vocabulary and spend my italki sessions in conversation mode.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm

lingua wrote:German: What I'd really like is a German soap to watch but I've not found one that is accessible to me.
I've watched some episodes of Die Fallers (I'm in the UK). One of the posters here used to watch Lindenstraße, but I think that's come to an end.
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 am

Looks like I haven't updated my log in a while. This covers the month of July. I've only been doing Portuguese and Italian. I had about a week off for vacation which I needed. I feel rejuvenated and more enthusiastic about continuing with my Portuguese review now. I was still feeling unmotivated a lot of the month.

Italian:
-Reading: Uto by Andrea De Carlo (11%)
-Mhz Choice: Il giovane Montalbano S1E3-4 (217 mins)
-Podcast: Mangia come parli (225 mins)
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (72%)
-Recorded: 17 mins
-italki: one 65 min session

Not only did I finish the lame book I started earlier in July I also read the newest Rocco Schiavone. I was a little disappointed by the ending and not too sure where Manzini is going to take things in the next book assuming there'll be one. I've also started a different De Carlo book and like it lot more than the last one I started but quit.

I listened to five episodes of Mangia come parli covering: Cotechino, Lenticchie & Panettone; Il radicchio tardivo; Gli agrumi; la triglia; la melagrana.

My italki tutor is off until September so no talking at all until then.

Vecchie conoscenze by Antonio Manzini. A retired professor is murdered. It's a bit convoluted in my view but the murderer is caught at the end as expected. There is also a continuation of the back story that's been there all along involving the murdered wife of Schiavone. That part appears to have finally been brought to a conclusion but there's also an unexpected twist regarding his closest friend which was the ending that I found disappointing but in case anyone else is reading or will read this series I won't say anymore. The ending is also such that he could stop the series here but I hope there will be more books.

vecchieconoscenze.jpg

Portuguese:
-Memrise: reviewed irregular verbs
-Reading: Minha vida Anticâncer by Dra. Odile Fernández Martínez (7%)
-PTLab: lessons 2-3: estar & estar + a + infinitive
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E13-16 (170 mins)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 2-6
-wrote: 282 words

I ended up going back to the legacy PTLab format as the new roadmap was missing some components that I wanted (extra audio and "textbook" chapter).

I worked through units 2-6 of Gramática Ativa. Topics: present do indicativo - verbo estar, ser vs estar, estar a + infinitivo, indicativo - verbos regulares em -ar & -er. Some of it covered the same as the PTLab review and some is ahead of it. This part is all easy other than I don't always remember some of the irregular verb conjugations which is why I'm reviewing them in memrise so when I get to that part I hope to remember them all.

I started a new anti-cancer book which is 505 pages and has a lot of new words so it's started off slow though it's starting to get easier.

Book #13: Comida de verdade by Yotam Ottolenghi (translated by Isabella Pacheco). Ottolenghi is an Israeli who lives in London and has several restaurants as well as a small line of food products available for purchase. This cookbook was vegetarian which I didn't realize when I first bought it. I'm not nor would I ever be vegetarian but I enjoyed it all the same. The author isn't vegetarian either but for some reason he wrote a vegetarian column for The Guardian. He still writes for them but from what I see it's no longer vegetarian. The author chef has a lot of great ideas for salads, vegetables and grains to be used as sides or as a main meal. Even in this book he would sometimes mention that a particular dish would pair well with meat or fish. It's the style of cookbook I like where for each recipe he discusses the dish, suggests alternative ingredients especially when they're hard to find, talks about the influence of the dish, etc. In some cases he's traveled around the world and learned how to make various ethnic dishes which he then recreates. It also has a lot of photos another thing I prefer. Overall there's a lot of creativity with these recipes.

comidadeverdade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Uto by Andrea De Carlo (16%)
-Mhz Choice: La voce del corpo (60 mins)

I'm making slow progress with Uto because I doze off after 10-15 minutes which then requires rereading the next night because I remember nothing. La voce del corpo was a short documentary about Sicilians and how they talk with their hands. It wasn't as good as I had hoped as the meaning of the various gestures wasn't always explained adequately.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Minha vida Anticâncer by Dra. Odile Fernández Martínez (31%)
-PTLab: lessons 4-5: frequent activities & ir + infinitive
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E17-19 (122 mins)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 7-9
-wrote: 793 words

Lesson 4 of PTLab covered the present tense conjugation of regular verbs. There was an additional exercise that had the five different conjugations for the top 100 verbs used in Portugal. 2nd and 3rd person plural are the same. Every verb was pronounced in the infintive and the specific conjugation so I listened to that to ensure I knew how to pronounce correctly. I can see that I am pretty close most of the time now. I've written sentences for all 100 verbs in first person singular and started into the 2nd person singular. I think it's helping. I still have to look up words sometimes because I don't know them. I've also run all my sentences through deepl to see if they translate into reasonable English and they do. That doesn't mean they're necessarily 100% grammatical though since I've noticed I can change things slightly and deepl will still translate it the same.

Lesson 5 of PTLab covered ir + infinitive which Portuguese use informally to talk about the immediate future. Immediate could be even a few days from now. One of my italki teachers said that the Portugese people are lazy and prefer this form over the actual future tense but in formal situations they wouldn't use ir + infinitive. It's similar to the English I'm going (to) + verb. I like it because it's easier to remember.

I worked through units 7-9 of Gramática Ativa. Topics: present do indicativo - verbos irregulares em -er, verbos regulares em -ir and verbos irregulares em -ir as well as verbos em -air & -uir. The latter was a little more challenging than the first eight chapters. I wasn't familiar with many of the -uir verbs in particular and there were fill in the blank sentences to use them. Even after looking up the meanings I felt like more than one of the eight -uir verbs I was supposed to use could fit into a particular sentence.

Overall I'm pleased with the review as I have no major gaps thus far and nothing within PTLab feels like new information. It's all a matter of using the language more to make it more automatic. I still struggle with understanding when watching O Sábio. I get the gist but even with CC on there are times where the actors pronounce the words a little faster and less clear than the way formal instruction does. After 19 episodes it is getting easier. So I just have to plod through the 281 remaining ones. :shock:
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:34 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Uto by Andrea De Carlo (44%)
-DVD: Rocco Schiavone S1E1-6 & S2E1-4 (1020 mins)
-Wrote: 596 words

I binge watched the first two seasons of Rocco Schiavone. Season 3-4 are out so I will be buying them soon. I also wrote on two different days this past week for the first time in forever.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Minha vida Anticâncer by Dra. Odile Fernández Martínez (59%)
-PTLab: lessons 6-8: querer + infinitive, article + noun + adjective & demonstratives
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E20-22 (125 mins)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 10-13
-wrote: 319 words

PTLab: Lesson 6 covered wanting something using the verb querer + infinitive. Lesson 7 covered identifying and describing objects in the form of article + noun + adjective. Lesson 8 covered identifying objects and people in spaces. In other words: this & that, here & there. This all feels easy to me now when it didn't necessarily the first time through. So in spite of my weak output skills I'm not seeing any knowledge gaps.

I worked through units 10-13 of Gramática Ativa. Topics included estou a fazer e faço, presente do indicativo verbo ter (to have), pretérito perfeito simples do indicativo (PPS) verbos ser, ir, estar, ter. PPS verbos regulares em -ar, -er e -ir. PPS is the simple past. The PPS conjugation for the verbs ser & ir are the same. I'm not even sure I noticed that the first time I went through PPS. Estou a fazer means what am I doing right now vs faço being what am I doing at some point soon. One of the Portugal/Brazil differences is that the Portuguese use the compound tense estar a fazer while Brazilians use the gerund conjugation. Again none of this is new to me but I am a little weak with my PPS conjugations so this is giving me a chance to better solidify them.

I was originally trying to match this book with PTLab but it's not turning out to be that easy so I'm just going through it in order instead. PTLab doesn't cover PPS until Lessons 35-36 which I probably won't get to until October. I will thus end up re-reviewing things at different times. Not a big deal. While I like the Ativa book I wish they had even more exercises than they do. For each lesson there are example sentences on one side and exercises on the other. There are no actual grammar explanations which makes it truly a review book. One is supposed have already learned this stuff.

I'm trying to finish the current anticâncer book over the next week. I'm tired of it. The author is redundant and she is a bit too new agey/hippy dippy for my taste. I'm sorry but talking good thoughts to water doesn't make it healthier. :roll: Anything related to health, nutrition and diet is fraught with conflicting information but she uses dubious sources to support what she already believes to be true. It's rather disappointing for a medical doctor to behave this way. She also contradicts herself at times. I'm only finishing it because the redundancy in vocabulary is useful.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 pm

German:
-MHz Choice: Tatort: Berlin S1E1 (87 mins)

MHz Choice recently added a sixth Tatort to their lineup with detectives Nina Rubin and Robert Karow. The first episode seemed dark compared to other Tatorts. I'm starting to miss German a little bit but really need to complete my Portuguese review before resuming.

Italian:
-Reading: Uto by Andrea De Carlo (50%)
-MHz Choice: Montalbano S1E37 (116 mins)

I watched the final episode of Montalbano. There are two more books that came out after the one this episode was based on but it seems they aren't planning to make any more because of the deaths of key people associated with the production. Evidently Zingaretti directed this episode.

Portuguese:
-Memrise review
-Reading: O Poder do Jejum Intermitente by Alexandra Vasconcelos (12%)
-PTLab: lessons 9-10
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E23-24 (86 mins)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 14
-wrote: 74 words

PTLab: Lesson 9 covered the verb ter (to have) and 10 covered plurals. These were too easy so I was able to get through them quickly. The only area I'm not 100% is with some of the irregular plurals. But generally speaking portuguese plurals are easier than Italian.

I worked through unit 14 of Gramática Ativa. The topic was more PPS (simple past) of irregular verbs and regular verbs ending in -air. I need to spend a little more time on these as I don't remember all of the irregular conjugations.

I had a list of objectives for the month of August and have met or will meet them with the exception of writing. I'm way behind on this. It's so tedious but so important.

Book #14: Minha vida Anticâncer by Dra. Odile Fernández Martínez. I'm so happy to be done with this awful book. Poorly written and poorly researched.

minhavitaanticâncer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:07 pm

French:
-MHz Choice: Quartier des Banques S1E1-2 (100 mins)

Tried out a newer series on MHz Choice but I don't think I'll stick with it. The first episode was OK but the second turned stupid. In English it's the Banking District and based in Switzerland. It's during the time when the US started cracking down on Americans trying to evade taxes with their Swiss bank accounts.

German:
-MHz Choice: Tatort: Berlin S1E2 (86 mins)
-MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S3E8 (88 mins)

I've always like Borowski but I started watch S3E9 and couldn't because of the theme. Looking ahead it seems like S4 is turning into a direction I won't enjoy.

Italian:
-Reading: Uto by Andrea De Carlo (73%)
-MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S2E1 (107 mins)

MHz Choice finally got season 2 of I bastardi di Pizzofalcone. It's based on a series of books by Maurizio De Giovanni. I bought the first book a long time ago but haven't read it yet because it's a physical book and I am slow to read those since I prefer ebooks but they don't seem to even exist for this series. At least not in the US.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O Poder do Jejum Intermitente by Alexandra Vasconcelos (55%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 15-16

I worked through unit 15-16 of Gramática Ativa. Unit 15 topic was conjugação pronominal reflexa and colocacão do pronome. Reflexive verbs. Portuguese puts the pronoun in front of the conjugated verb for statements connecting with a dash. For questions or negative statements it goes in front of the conjugated verb. There are also some other exceptions which I'll review later via PTLab because this book doesn't provide any explanations so I was a little iffy on why some sentences were treated like questions or negatives.

Examples:
Ele levanta-se às 8h00.
Não me levanto cedo.

Unit 16 topic was pretérito imperfeito do indizxcativo: aspeto durativo e frequentativo. This is the imperfect and the guidelines between PPS and imperfect. Since Italian has this too I don't have much trouble with it. Regular verbs ending in -er and -ir have the same conjugations changes while verbs ending in -ar are different. First and third person singular have the same conjugation.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Ferragosto in giallo by Camilleri, Costa, Giménez-Bartlett, Malvaldi, Manzini, Recami (6%)
-MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S2E2 (105 mins)
-Podcast: Mangia come parli (82 mins)
-italki tutor: 64 mins

I listened to a couple of episodes of Mangia come parli. Topics were la triglia and la melagrana. I just noticed in my log that I had listened to these two episodes back in July as well but for some reason they didn't drop off the Podcasts app so I ended up listening a second time. Enough time had passed that I didn't even notice the duplication.

I've resumed my italki tutor sessions. I was a little rusty after not speaking for nearly two months.

I finished Uto by Andrea De Carlo. It was a strange book and as is generally the case with De Carlo I like the actual writing but am less satisfied with the story. No likeable characters here. Uto is a great pianist who goes to live with the family of his mother's close friend who live in Peaceville which is a community led by an elderly Indian guru. Uto slowly destroys the family who predictably aren't nearly as content as they initially seem.

uto.jpg

Portuguese:
-Reading: As Receitas O Poder do Jejum Intermitente by Alexandra Vasconcelos (64%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 17
-PTLab: Lessons 11-15
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E25-26 (84 mins)
-wrote: 390 words

I worked through unit 17 of Gramática Ativa which was on the verb costumar + infinitive in the present tense and imperfeito. This verb is used for things you do (or used to do) habitually.

Lessons 11-15 of PTLab covered having to do something using the verb ter + de + infinitive, needing to do something using the verb precisar + de + infinitive, knowing how to do something using the verb saber + infinitive, being able to do something using the verb conseguir + infinitive and finally telling time. These were all easy for me so no knowledge gaps here.

Book #15: O Poder do Jejum Intermitente by Alexandra Vasconcelos. This was on intermittent fasting (IF). Virtually all of her recommendations include eating low carb or Keto while doing IF. The book discussed different lengths of fasting: 12, 14, 16, 18, 24 & 48 hours followed by strategies to eat the right thing after the fast ends, how to deal with hunger (drink lots of green tea or even bone broth). She also suggests limiting the amount of protein which is why Keto is her thing. Low protein and low carb leave nothing else but high fat. To suggest that IF helps one to lose weight when it's coupled with dietary changes is absurd. I don't think the author made a particularly strong case for IF and remain skeptical about the benefits for most people. I've read elsewhere it can be beneficial for specific health issues such as epilepsy which the author also mentioned. To her credit she did list some health issues where IF would be detrimental.

if.jpg
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:52 pm

French:
MHz Choice: Détectives S1E1 (41 mins)

German:
MHz Choice: Der Bestatter S2E3-6 (232 mins)

Italian:
-Reading: Riti di morti by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett (translated by Maria Nicola) (4%)
-MHz Choice: I bastardi di Pizzofalcone S2E3-6 (419 mins)
-Podcast: Mangia come parli (91 mins)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri (#4-8)
-Grammer: GP. ... esercizi supplementari by Mezzadri & Pederzani (#3-8)
-italki tutor: 4 sessions for a total of 262 mins

I finished Ferragosto in giallo the third book in the gialli short story series by publisher Sellerio editore Palermo. There are six stories:

Notte di Ferragosto by Andrea Camilleri
Azione e reazione by Marco Malvaldi
Le ferie di agosto by Antonio Manzini
Ferragosto nella casa di ringhiera by Francesco Recami
Lupa di mare by Gian Mauro Costa
Vero amore by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett

I've read the series by three of these writers: Camilleri (Montalbano), Malvaldi (BarLume) and Manzini (Rocco Schiavone) so it's enjoyable to get a short fix. The stories all took place during the Italian Ferragosto vacation period. In some cases the detectives were working while Mauro Costa's character Enzo Baiamonte was on vacation and observed a situation which not surprisingly he solved. I read these out of order and saved Camilleri for last. It was hard because in this story he used a lot of dialect and Sicilian. It seemed like more than other ones I had read. About half the time I could figure it out because of my Sicilian/dialect dabbling but other times I couldn't so I wasn't always sure of the details though I got the gist. Giménez-Bartlett is a Spanish author and has written a series of 14 books with Inspector Petra Delicato (based in Barcelona) so I just started the first one.

ferragosto.jpg

My italki teacher has encouraged me to review grammar so that I can speak more automatically when using more complicated sentence structures so I've returned to the Grammatica pratica della lingua books. I started where I had left off back in January. Units 3-8 covered: il presente dei verbi regolari, il presente dei verbi irregolari, i pronomi personali soggetto, la forma di cortesia, l'articolo determinativo and l'articolo indeterminativo. This is all basic A1 stuff so I was able to fly through it.

I finished up season 2 of I bastardi di Pizzofalcone. I like this series and hope they'll get season 3 soon as it's either out or in process I can't recall.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Sabe o que anda a comer? by Susete Estrela (11%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 18-20 & 36-38
-PTLab: Lessons 16-20
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E27-29 (118 mins)

I worked through unit 18-20 and 36-38 of Gramática Ativa. I finally found a section to postpone as it was a bunch of conjugations that aren't covered in PTLab until B1-B2 which I probably won't get to until December. These covered the following grammar:

pretérito imperfeito do indicativo - idade e horas; ações simultâneas: age/time, simultaneous actions
pretérito imperfeito vs pretérito perfeito simples (similar to imperfetto vs passato prossimo in Italian)
imperfeito de cortesia; imperfeito com valor de condicional
artigos definidos e indefinidos: (a/an, the)
demonstrativos invariáveis; advérbios de lugar - isto, isso, aquilo: this, that, that (over there)
demonstrativos variáveis - este/a(s), esse/a(s), aquele/a(s): this/these, that/those, that/those (over there)

Lessons 16-20 PTLab covered when events take place (quando, a que horas?, etc); reflexive verbs, usually doing something (costumar + infinitive), how long/since when an event has been going on (há/desde) and what has been happening lately (andar + a + infinitive). I remembered all of this from the first time through so again nothing difficult here.

So the problem isn't understanding the grammar. It's using it. I don't do enough output. I realize this of course but it's less fun than reading so I put it off and often don't get around to it. Susana the owner of PT Lab has written a reader at the A2 level which can be found here: https://storyglot.com/bau-das-coisas-perdidas. I bought it some weeks ago and am planning to shadow with it. I still need to work on my pronunciation and listening skills as well as write write write!

Book #16: As Receitas O Poder do Jejum Intermitente by Alexandra Vasconcelos. This was the recipe book for the intermittent fasting (IF) book that I recently finished. I didn't think much of the recipes. Pretty boring overall. The end also included an overview of IF for a reader who hadn't read the other book.

receitasIF.jpg

Book #17: A Ciência em Portugal by Carlos Fiolhais. The author is a physics professor at University of Coimbra. This book was put out by Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos which is an organization dedicated to the sciences though I've forgotten the details. They have put out a number of books. This was on the state of science in Portugal which isn't very good though improving. Let's just say it was dry. Lots of facts, tables and statistics.

cienciaemportugal.jpg

On another note I watched a Swedish show on MHz Choice called Mordern. I found it a bit germanish and could understand some bits. I sort of liked the fast pace of it and started the second episode but it was a kidnapping which I refuse to watch so I've not moved on. I have absolutely no intention of learning Swedish.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Riti di morti by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett (translated by Maria Nicola) (11%)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri (#9-11)
-Grammer: GP. ... esercizi supplementari by Mezzadri & Pederzani (#9-11)
-MHz Choice: Il giovane Montalbano S1E5 (98 mins)
-italki tutor: one 63 min session

Continued with both GP books doing three more lessons. Units 9-11 covered: il plurale dei nomi, il plurale irregolare dei nomi and gli aggettivi. Again relatively easy though I sometimes choose the wrong gender of a noun I don't often use. Gender is one of those things I don't pay attention to when reading since it matters not for comprehension. Obviously with output it's more important.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Sabe o que anda a comer? by Susete Estrela (17%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 39-40
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (Rissóis)

I worked through units 39-40 covering the following grammar:
possessivos - my, your, his, her, ours, etc
interrogativos - who, what, where, when, etc

Since some of the grammar is becoming less easy I've also added another Lidel textbook called Cozinhar em Português which focuses on recipes and cooking vocabulary. There are 27 recipes. Each recipe follows with some exercises. I'm using this book more intensively where I make sure I know every single word. Since it's food and I've read several Portuguese cookbooks there aren't many words that I don't know though the actual dish may not be something I'm familiar with. I did the first recipe which was rissóis which are little fried pastries filled with meat, fish or vegetables. This isn't as well done as the two Italian food/cooking type textbooks I have but it'll do.

rissois.jpeg
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”