Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 am

2020 Goals

ITALIAN

Output Challenge:
- 50,000 words
- 50 hours recorded speech

Reading:
- Read 17 books by the end of April to meet my 100 books goal
- Continue to read books on new subjects in order to increase vocabulary
- Start reading Camilleri's Montalbano series, starting with La forma dell'acqua

Outside of that I'll continue to have my weekly italki lesson, watch film, listen to podcasts, study grammar as well as do some srs and clozemaster. I didn't do that well with my goals last year however I did learn to be consistent with the 365 challenge and that habit is now established.

GERMAN / PORTUGUESE

Output Challenge:
- 50,000 words
- 50 hours recorded speech

366 Days Challenge (Generic)
- at least 30 minutes per day alternating these two languages

I decided to start writing from the beginning with these two languages that I only recently restarted. I'm a false beginner for both. It's probably a stretch to do the output for both languages but it seems doable if I'm consistent. I prefer to do these on alternating days as 30 minutes per day for each doesn't feel as productive as an hour or more every other day. I may do both on some weekend days when I have more time.

LATIN / SICILIAN / Dialects of Italy

I don't have any goals for these really. They're a side thing and I'll continue to dabble in them when I feel like it because I still have an interest but they aren't a priority.
Last edited by lingua on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (plus dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 pm

German:
Memrise: Average 11 mins per day
Clozemaster: New: 510 & Reviewed: 537 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: trees on: family, accusative prepositions, numbers
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein: Review Chapters 1-2
Listening: Audiobook Café in Berlin by André Klein: Chapters 1-2
Watched (MHz Choice): Professor T: S2 E1-4
Watched (MHz Choice): Blochin S1 E1
Deutsch Welle: Watched multiple videos (Nicos Weg)
Wrote: 269 words

I watched the second season of Professor T and made an effort to listen while looking at the subtitles. I again was able to understand a lot of the short sentences that contained known words. The second season wasn't as funny as the first but still enjoyable. There's a third season but it's not on MHz Choice yet but I'm hoping they will acquire it. It was produced last spring. I also watched the first episode of Blochin. I'm not sure if I like it or not so I'll watch the next episode and decide after that. MHZ Choice has 30+ German shows currently so I have a few to choose from.

I have given up on the official Memrise course. I don't like it. After some searching I decided to give the Deutsch Welle site a try. I'm starting with A1 here: https://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469. I took the placement test and they suggested I start with A2 but I think that is unrealistic. I probably scored better than I should have on the test because there were a fair number of verb related questions that I was able to successfully answer because I understand the present tense conjugations. The questions I missed were related to concepts I haven't learned or because of unknown words. I was watching the videos and after about 10 of them I realized there was a menu attached to each video with a bunch of exercises so now I'll be going back to the beginning and doing the exercises. I was able to understand a lot of the videos even with unknown words simply because of the visuals.

Additionally, I've added a couple of courses to Decks to review vocabulary from Café in Berlin and present tense verb conjugations. Audible had the audio for the Café in Berlin book so I bought it. It's read by the author of the book. He speaks very slowly and clearly so it made it easy to read aloud as I followed along. I will continue to review the first two chapters making sure I know all the vocabulary before moving onto Chapter 3. With Clozemaster I've moved on from the 100 most common words to 101-500 most common words. I found the sentences within the most common 100 words to be relatively easy but as soon as I started 101-500 I encountered a lot more unknown words which slowed me down because I took the time to look some of them up. I also did a little bit of writing though with my lack of vocabulary I am doing very short sentences at the moment.

Euro Portuguese:
Memrise: Average 9 minutes per day
Clozemaster: New: 510 & Reviewed: 403 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: trees on: household, infinitive, future tense
Portuguese Lab: Episode 1

I've also given up on the official Memrise Portuguese course. The fact that they are not pronouncing all of the words correctly started to irritate me. I am still looking for a suitable substitute and for the time being I've settled on https://www.portugueselab.com/. This site has podcasts but also videos on the site with notes. The problem with this site is that things aren't presented in a particularly logical way and the episodes have beginner, intermediate and advanced topics. I'll go through all of the beginner episodes first and then decide what to do after that. Susana, the site host speaks very clearly and offers clear explanations of grammar points. I've made a couple of Decks courses for verb conjugation and to match what I'm learning on the Portuguese Lab site.

I will also start working with Learning Portuguese by Russel Walker and Rafael Tavares. I bought it a long time ago. I've glanced at it a couple of times but not really worked with it much. I'm also thinking of switching Clozemaster to text input as I understand a lot of the Portuguese and when I got into the 101-500 words I didn't find them more difficult like with German.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 50 & Reviewed: 736 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: trees on: market, travels

I continue to do minimal Latin. I'm working on the 3rd level of each subject/branch or whatever DuoLingo calls things. They are starting to get harder but I think it is helping me to understand the grammar better.

Italian:
Decks: Averaged about 6 minutes of review per day
Clozemaster: New: 200 & Reviewed: 506 sentences (text input)
Talking: one 1 hour italki session
Wrote: 393 words

I haven't been reading in Italian this past week since I decided to read an English novel for the first time in more than a year. I will be starting La forma dell'acqua by Camilleri very soon. It's the first book in the Montalbano series. I have the English and Italian versions plus the audible book in Italian. I will be reading a chapter in English, followed by reading a chapter in Italian and then listen and read the same chapter at the same time. I imagine this will take some time. But I want to make sure I am understanding everything before moving on to the second book. I managed to start writing but I'm already behind.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (plus dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 pm

German:
Clozemaster: New: 500 & Reviewed: 1083 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: trees on: food, money, dative case, dative pronouns, family
Decks: Review verb conjugations & vocabulary for Chapter 1-2 of Café in Berlin
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein: Continue to review Chapters 1-2
Listening: Audiobook Café in Berlin by André Klein: Continue to review Chapters 1-2
Watched (MHz Choice): Türkisch für Anfänger S1E1-5
Deutsch Welle: Video/Exercises: Welcome to A1 & Meeting People

I've continued with Deutsche Welle in a more structured manner. Within the A1 course each section has four sub-sections. Each sub-section covers a particular grammar point. My procedure has been to watch the video, do the exercises and go over the vocabulary which includes sound. Although it feels like overkill at times I am finding it relatively useful because of the repetitiveness.

I started a series on MHz Choice called Türkisch für Anfänger which is OK. It is funny at times but also a bit stereotypical. The premise is a German women and her two kids live with a Turkish man and his two kids. His daughter is very religious (as a Muslim) so it makes for some uncomfortable situations. The man and his son are not religious but the son has a traditional sexist attitude. The women has always been a parent that gives her children a lot of freedom. The members of the the two families are slowly growing to appreciate each other. For the most part the show is from the POV of the German daughter. I find a lot of German easy to understand because of the similarity to English.

I'm enjoying the fact that I can use Café in Berlin to listen, read and review vocabulary via Decks.

Euro Portuguese:
Decks: Review verb conjugations & vocabulary
Clozemaster: New: 360 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 922 (text input)
Duolingo: trees on: infinitive, future tense, objects, place adverbs, to be (ser/estar)
Textbook: Learning Portuguese: Chapter 1-8 (Pronunciation, First Conversations, Grammar)
Portuguese Lab: Started A1 course plus Skill Builder (fruits)

I bit the bullet and decided to pay for Portuguese Lab. It's rather expensive (comparatively speaking) for this type of resource. However, with the limited material available for European Portuguese I decided to give it a try. The site owner/teacher adds new content every week and is responsive to student questions. She seems to have made this her full time job. The site has specific levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc) as well as various sections that cover speaking, Portugal, skill builder (on specific subjects), verb conjugation, etc. There is a lot of audio which I find to be very helpful since Portuguese is rather easy for me in terms of vocabulary but not pronunciation. I joined on Friday so I haven't looked at everything but in general it seems pretty thorough. I'll give it a try for a couple of months. If I decide it's working for me I'll pay for a full year since that ultimately gives you two free months. I started with A1 and added the Skill Builder on fruits.

I decided to start doing text input on my Clozemaster reviews though I still use multiple choice on the new ones. That seems to be working even if at times I have to switch to multiple choice for some sentences.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 130 & Reviewed: 1072 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: trees on: plurals, work, routines, emotions

Not much to say here. I continue to do one "level" of duolingo every day or two and a bit of Clozemaster. I'm slowly increasing my vocabulary.

Sicilian:
Decks: Reviewed a couple of times this week

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 301 & Reviewed: 458 sentences (text input)
Reading: Ippocrate medico in prima linea by Luca Novelli <-- 47%
Reading: La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri <-- 31%
Listening (audiobook): La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri: Chapter 1
MHz Choice: Montalbano: La forma d’acqua
Wrote: 244 words

This week I have primarily focused on La forma d'acqua. I watched the movie again and already noticed it doesn't quite follow the book. I've read about a third of the book and only listened to the first chapter of the audio book. I'm not finding this one to be all that difficult. Most of the non-standard Italian (which is a mix of Sicilian and Camilleri's dialect) is accessible to me due to my sporadic Sicilian studies. Sometimes I come across a word I don't recognize at all but I understand via context.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Book #84: Ippocrate medico in prima linea by Luca Novelli. Per the author, the primary thing about Ippocrate is that he observed illness and was able to see patterns. He also noticed that places with poor quality environment (air, diet, etc) had more illness than places that were relatively cleaner. This book was like most of the series. It was told in the first person and at the end there was a little mini dictionary of terms.

ippocrate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 319 & Reviewed: 821 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: (43 crowns); subjects: dative prepositions, body, formal you, somewhere/body/one/thing, etc
Decks: Review verb conjugations and vocabulary for Chapter 1-2 of Café in Berlin & Deutsch Welle
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein: Continue to review Chapters 1-2
Listening: Audiobook Café in Berlin by André Klein: Continue to review Chapters 1-2
Recorded: 10 minutes reading Café in Berlin Chapters 1-2
Watched (MHz Choice): Türkisch für Anfänger S1E6-12 & S2E1-13 (480 minutes)
Deutsch Welle (Nicos Weg): Video/Exercises: Contact Details, Numbers, In Company & 1/2 of Around the World
Recorded: 10 minutes reading

I've continued with the A1 portion of Nicos Weg on the Deutsch Welle site. It is starting to be more challenging so it takes longer to get through then the first couple of sections. I also went on a binge watch of Türkisch für Anfänge finishing the first season and about half of the second season. This upcoming week I plan to do a little more grammar from a couple of the PMP books and start the third chapter of Café in Berlin since I think I've done sufficient review now.

Euro Portuguese:
Decks: Review irregular verb conjugations & vocabulary related to Portuguese Lab
Clozemaster: New: 579 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 1432 (text input)
Duolingo:(34 crowns); subjects: preposition contractions, demonstratives, occupations
Portuguese Lab: Continued the A1 course plus Skill Builder (more fruits)
Wrote: 159 words

Now that I've spent some time with Portuguese Lab I rather like it. Each lesson includes listen & speak, grammar, read & write plus extra audio exercises. Everything is well explained and Susana (the owner/teacher) suggests doing the lessons in that order so we listen and repeat before looking at the transcripts. There is also a nice separate section on pronunciation which explained things I had noticed but was not sure what the rules were.

I bought a small Portuguese cookbook so I will also be reading through it so I can start learning cooking and food vocabulary. It seems to a book of recipes from restaurants in Portugal that won a prize for a particular dish in different years.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 40 & Reviewed: 299 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: (58 crowns); subjects: emotions, food, time

Still plugging away with these two activities most days.

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 135 & Reviewed: 252 sentences (text input)
Reading: Pitagora e il numero maledetto by Luca Novelli <-- 16%
Reading: La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri <--49%
Listening (audiobook): La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri: Chapter 2-3
MHz Choice watched: Stanotte a Pompei (61 minutes)

Italian is suffering with my focus on German and Portuguese but I'm still managing to do something with it nearly every day so my 30 minutes a day habit is still with me. My last two lessons with my italki teacher have gone well. Ever since she told me to slow down and make sure I pronounce all vowels I'm doing much better. I make very few grammar errors now and usually I'm able to self-correct. I forgot about writing though and need to start making that a habit.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 pm

German:
Clozemaster: New: 649 & Reviewed: 1424 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 43 --> 46 crowns; subjects: shopping, travel, numbers
Decks: Review verb conjugations and vocabulary for Chapter 1-3 of Café in Berlin & Deutsch Welle
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein: Read Chapter 3
Listening: Audiobook Café in Berlin by André Klein: nothing this week
Recorded: 5 minutes reading Café in Berlin Chapters 3
Watched (MHz Choice): Türkisch für Anfänger S2E14-24 & S3E1 (288 minutes)
Deutsch Welle (Nicos Weg): Video/Exercises: Finished Around the World

Continued with more of the same. Spent less time with Deutsch Welle because everything else was taking longer within my allotted time. Never got to my grammar books either but will be spending some time with them this afternoon. I'm probably spending too much time with Clozemaster. The number of reviews jumped this week. So I will do fewer new words this week until I can catch up.

Euro Portuguese:
Decks: Review irregular verb conjugations, vocabulary related to Portuguese Lab & cookbook
Clozemaster: New: 713 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 1402 (text input)
Duolingo: 34 --> 45 crowns; subjects: basics, common phrases, food, animals, plurals, tu/você, a gente (we), adjectives
Portuguese Lab: Continued the A1 course plus Skill Builder (more fruits)
Read: Cozinha Do Rio
Recorded: 10 minutes reading four recipes from Cozinha Do Rio

I have only been using the first level of Duolingo and had passed the fourth checkpoint. However, the next subject/level was the past tense and I didn't want to start that yet so I went back to the beginning to do the 2nd level instead. It's pretty easy because a lot of them are partially done to varying lengths. I hadn't realized that Duolingo worked this way when I started it. I recorded myself speaking some of the recipes in the cookbook I'm reading and it was hard. When I first started recording Italian it was hard too as I can feel my voice tense up as I'm speaking. It's actually tiring but I'm sure over time I'll relax a bit it will become easier like it did in Italian.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 210 & Reviewed: 847 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 58 --> 60 crowns; subjects: language, home

Duolingo is slow going for me. It usually takes a couple of sessions to get through one level. At my current rate I expect to be done with it sometime in March unless they add more to it. At that point I will go back to reading Julia.

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 213 & Reviewed: 269 sentences (text input)
Reading: Pitagora e il numero maledetto by Luca Novelli <-- 16%
Reading: La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri <--57%
Listening (audiobook): La forma d'acqua by Andrea Camilleri: Chapter 4-9
Article: La Stampa: https://www.lastampa.it/cucina/2020/01/17/news/chi-ha-inventato-la-senape-piccola-storia-di-uno-tra-i-condimenti-piu-amati-1.38344063

There are several people on this site that incorporate reading newspaper articles in their studies and I have always liked that Idea so I decided to give it a try this week. I read only one article about who invented mustard. My goal is to read two articles a week. I ended up finishing two more English books this week which has cut into my Italian reading. I have two more to read (it's part of a five book series) and then I'll stop. In English I read very fast so it's relaxing. But I have learned that to stay focused on Italian books it's best to stay away from English.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:12 pm

German:
Clozemaster: New: 137 & Reviewed: 1248 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 46 --> 48 crowns; subjects: colors, imperative, occupation
Decks: Verb conjugations and vocabulary from Café in Berlin & Deutsch Welle
Watched (MHz Choice): Türkisch für Anfänger S3E2-3 (48 minutes)
Watched (MHz Choice): Tartort: Borowski S1E1-4 (346 minutes)
Deutsch Welle (Nicos Weg): Video/Exercises: Started Things (naming objects, asking about objects)
Grammar: PMP German Verb Tenses: Continued with Chapter 1 conjugations
Grammar: PMP Basic German: Chapter 9-10 (personal pronouns)

I always liked the Practice Makes Perfect series for Italian but I am not as happy with the German ones. The two I've been working with feel dated. I also came across several verbs from the Verb Tense book that weren't even in the 501 German Verb book that I have. I don't know what to make of that. I know that sometimes they have to use less common verbs to illustrate a point about endings. But beginners need to focus on the verbs that are most used.

At this point my interest in Portuguese is higher than German so I've been spending less time with it outside of watching series. MHz Choice has three different Tatort series (Borowski, Munich & Cologne). Later this month they're adding a fourth (Lindholm). I've only watched Borowski and mostly like it. I thought the fourth episode was lacking. Since the episodes have different directors it may be related. It felt a little slow and not as believable. The third season of Türkisch für Anfänger has gone downhill from the first two seasons so I only watched a couple of episodes this week. I'll probably still finish it eventually because it's pretty easy for a beginner.

I averaged 107 minutes per day of German study in January. Taking away film it goes down to only 61 minutes per day.

Euro Portuguese:
Decks: Review irregular verb conjugations, vocabulary related to Portuguese Lab & cookbook
Clozemaster: New: 493 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 1427 (text input)
Duolingo: 45 ---> 51 crowns; subjects: preposition contractions, clothing, food, colors, numbers
Portuguese Lab: Continued the A1-2 course plus Everyday Vocabulary (herbs)
Wrote: 297 words

MHz choice will have their first Portuguese series at the end of the month. It's a crime drama called Filha da Lei so I'm looking forward to watching it. I am still happy with Portuguese Lab. There is so much material and a lot of audio. This week I reviewed lesson 2 which went over the verb estar (to be / momentary characteristics) and started lesson 3 which went over happening right now (estar + a + infinitive). I need to review again because I made errors on some of my exercises. The Everyday Vocabulary is a series of short courses which are intended to build vocabulary. Currently it includes food, daily life, human being (body parts) and expressions. Coming soon is Society. The Food section includes fruit, herbs and vegetables. So far I've done fruit and herbs. In the food sections she also includes useful adjectives to describe the fruit (sour, sweet, etc) and useful verbs related to picking fruit, mincing herbs etc. I'm hoping she will add more food because my reading will focus on cookbooks initially.

I'm doing the 6WC in Portuguese so I will be upping the amount of time I spend with it compared to the other languages. I would like to get through the first 20 (of 41) lessons plus all food courses. For the month of January I averaged 69 minutes per day.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 166 & Reviewed: 590 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 60 --> 63 crowns; subjects: gods, shop, activities

Plugging away. For the month of January I averaged 17 minutes per day.

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 166 & Reviewed: 590 sentences (text input)
Speechling: recording, diction, exercises

On a whim I paid for a full year of Speechling so now I'm compelled to use it daily. I played with some of the exercises but the only parts I like are the recording and diction. I have been getting good feedback. If I say something less than perfect my coach tells me specifically what I said wrong. I redo the ones she comments on. I like that I can answer questions, describe images, etc. I can also do free form so my plan is to focus on some of the words I consistently have problems with.

Italian took a nosedive otherwise. I averaged about 45 minutes per day for the month of January. I finished my fourth English book and started the fifth (and final in the series) so once that is complete I will be back to no English for the rest of the year.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:13 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 225 & Reviewed: 310 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 48 --> 49 crowns; subjects: colors, imperative, occupation
Decks: Review verb conjugations and vocabulary from Café in Berlin & Deutsch Welle
Recorded 6 mins of reading Café in Berlin: Chapter 4

Since Portuguese is my focus for the 6WC I'm doing less German though I'm doing a little bit each day so I don't end up with too many reviews on Decks and retain what I've learned thus far.

Euro Portuguese:
Decks: Review of verb conjugations, Portuguese Lab vocabulary & cookbook
Clozemaster: New: 453 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 932 (text input)
Duolingo: 51 ---> 54 crowns; subjects: present tense, prepositions, body parts, preposition contractions
Portuguese Lab: Lesson 4: conjugations; Everyday Vocabulary: vegetables
PMP: Basic Portuguese: Ch1-2 (subject pronouns, family, verb ser (to be) , professions
Recorded 8 mins of reading what I've written towards 50000 words
Wrote: 410 words

The last couple of nights my connection to Portuguese Lab has been failing so I didn't get to do as much as I wanted. Instead I switched to a newer Practice Make Perfect book that combines some of the different ones they've had in the past. It's been updated and is focused on the Portuguese of Portugal with some notes regarding Brazilian usage. Each chapter covers a specific grammar point and vocabulary in a particular subject. Chapter 1 included subject pronouns and family vocabulary. Chapter 2 included the verb ser (to be permanent) and professions. Chapter three includes the verb estar (to be temporary). The exercises were easy because it was nothing I didn't already know so I used it as an exercise to write basic sentences towards my 50000 word goal.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 0 & Reviewed: 523 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 63 --> 64 crowns; subjects: hobbies, nature

I have nearly completed all of the sentences in Clozemaster. It shows I have 20 remaining but in spite of my settings saying I want no reviews when I play new it keeps doing them all as review and never gives me the last 20. I have mastered about 70% but still have nearly 5000 to review. I believe it's time to switch from multiple choice to text input. I know it will be more difficult but it will force me to use the correct conjugation or declension which I've never spent much time on. My goal with Latin is only to read and understand it but I can see a few times on DuoLingo where I misinterpreted the sentence when translating so it's time to get a better handle on it.

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 60 & Reviewed: 155 sentences (text input)
Speechling: recording, diction

I finished my final English book Tuesday night so I started back up on La forma dell'acqua last night but I didn't log it because I woke up with my kindle next to me so I must have fallen asleep almost immediately. I don't remember any of it. I hope to finish it it within a few days. The book has 16 chapters while the audio shows 32 chapters even though they have matched the book up through what I've listened to so far so I'm not sure yet what is happening with chapter 17 and beyond on the audio. I guess I'll find out eventually.
Last edited by lingua on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:56 pm

Book #85: La forma dell'acqua by Andrea Camilleri. I finally finished this book today. Last night I was feeling lazy and started listening to the audiobook version and ended up finishing it. After I started reading the book today I decided to finish it which took about 2.5 hours. This was the first book in the series. A body is found in a car in a field where prostitutes and drug sellers hang out. The autopsy shows that Luparello died by natural causes. He had a heart problem. But Montalbano is not convinced because of the circumstances surrounding where the body is found so he investigates.

laformadellacqua.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:35 pm

German:
Clozemaster: New: 0 & Reviewed: 679 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 49 --> 52 crowns; subjects: prepositions, materials, numbers
MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S1E6-8 (263 mins)
MHz Choice: Tatort: Köln S1E1 (88 mins)

I just realized MHz Choice has five different Tatort. I had missed one earlier because it's not part of the title. I completed the first season of Borowski. Before continuing to the second season, I decided to try a different one and chose Köln. I thought Borowski was better. I like his character more. Köln feels like it's trying to hard. But it's only the first episode so perhaps it will improve or grow on me.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New: 348 (multiple choice) & Reviewed: 678 (text input)
Duolingo: 54 ---> 56 crowns; subjects: preposition contractions, family, household
Portuguese Lab: Lesson 5-6
PMP: Basic Portuguese: Chapter 3-4
Wrote: 346 words

I did two lessons in Portuguese Lab. Lesson 5 covered talking about the future using ir + infinitive. Lesson 6 covered wanting using querer + infinitive. ir = to go and querer = to want. The usage for these are pretty straight forward.

I also did two chapters in Basic Portuguese. Chapter 3 covered estar and the vocabulary of moods and emotions which makes sense since estar is the verb to be used for temporary state. This was more review for me since I've already covered it. Chapter 4 covered the first conjugation -ar verbs in the present tense and the vocabulary of hobbies and leisure. This book is good review for grammar points I've already learned but at the same time providing some new vocabulary.

Latin:
Clozemaster: New: 0 & Reviewed: 292 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 64 --> 65 crowns; subjects: nature, feast

Italian:
Clozemaster: New: 59 & Reviewed: 152 sentences (text input)
Speechling: recording, diction
Reading: Pitagora e il numero maledetto by Luca Novelli <-- 36%

I recorded 30 minutes reading Pitagora. My Speechling coach has noted a particular error I consistently make so I've been working on it since Speechling allows free-form recording. In general my pronunciation is decent but I have some trouble spots and I think this should help me correct them.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”