Radioclare's 2020 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Radioclare's 2020 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:47 am

cjareck wrote:Interestingly, we have a Polish "skwer" but it is taken from an English square and means "city square". The equivalent of a shipyard is "stocznia," which seems to be our original word ;)

Russian also has the word сквер with the same origins, but its meaning has shifted to something closer to "public garden" - basically a small space of urban public greenery that's too small and open to be considered a park. It's unrelated to скверный either way, which is a Slavic word related to the Czech "skvrna" (stain, spot) and Croatian "skrnaviti" (to desecrate).
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Wow, that's really interesting. And "skrnaviti" is a new word for me in Croatian :)

15 October
I spent most of today doing an online assessment day for potential new trainees. I've done quite a few interviews over Teams/Zoom now so that part didn't feel too weird, but this was the first time I'd had to assess a group exercise virtually so that was quite interesting. It's amazing how many things it turns out you can do virtually when people put their minds to it! I got almost no work done in between all this, but never mind.

Russian
I didn't do any proper studying today because I had two Russian Progress videos to catch up on. The first was the one I watched last week about reasons not to live in Russia; it was published with a transcript now, so I was able to listen to it again while reading the transcript and check whether I'd understood properly first time around. It turns out that I pretty much had and Russia really does have speeding fines which are that low and deaths from RTAs which are that high :shock: Then I watched a second video, which was filmed in Krasnodar. I would have struggled to mark Krasnodar on a map before today to be honest but it looks like an interesting city :)

Croatian
I watched another episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi' :oops: I know, I know - I said I wasn't going to. But the previous episode I watched ended with a character unexpectedly dying and I really wanted to see what happened next.

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian; 45 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:47 pm

16 October
I got a bit more work done today, but I still seem to be permanently behind with my life.

Russian
I decided to be disciplined tonight and watch an episode of 'Татьянин день'. It's a couple of weeks since I last watched it, so it took me a while to get back into it. One thing which I find really odd about this series is that it doesn't start with a theme tune or a recap of what happened last time; it launches straight into the story without any warm up and then approximately 4 - 5 minutes in, it plays the theme tune and credits (which by that point seems a bit jarring, because you feel like you're in the middle of the episode rather than waiting for it to start!).

Total - Russian: 46 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:03 pm

17 October
Today was somewhat dominated by an Esperanto meeting.

Russian
I did a bit of Memrise in the morning before the meeting. I haven't logged in most days this week so I've built up quite a backlog of reviews again.

Once the meeting was over I spent half an hour or so on Schaum's grammar. Although I feel like I've been quite disciplined at studying this book in the evenings this week, it was only today that I finally got to the end of the section on the nominative singular :lol: The first bit I studied today was about the different masculine/feminine endings for names of professions and nationalities. I felt like I was already quite strong on the nationalities, but a lot of the words for professions were new to me. The second part I looked at was about the gender of indeclinable words of foreign origin. I have to confess, I had assumed these were all neuter (except кофе, which is always given in textbooks as an exception) but it turns out that, like everything in Russian, it's more complicated than that. Lots of the names of towns are masculine (based on the word for town, город, being masculine), while the names of rivers are feminine (after река). There was a whole list of rules like this and it reminded me of the very distant past... probably over 15 years ago now... when I was trying and failing to remember lists of rules about noun gender in German. I can visualise a page in my grammar book which explained that the gender of rivers in Germany is always feminine (except for when it isn't - der Rhein, der Main), while the gender of rivers outside of Germany is always masculine (again, except for when it isn't - die Themse). In the end I just gave up and decided never to talk about rivers in German :lol: In the same vein, I've decided never to talk about US states which share their names with rivers in Russian; Mississippi and Colorado, for example, are apparently masculine if you're talking about the state but feminine if you're talking about the rivers. The chances of me ever getting that right are nil :lol:

This evening I spent some time reading Agatha Christie and got through another 30 pages. The main word I looked up today was "няня" (nanny).

Total - Russian: 100 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

18 October
A nice relaxing day at home. Just a bit of admin to catch up on after the trustee meeting yesterday.

Russian
I started the section in Schaum's grammar about nominative plural endings. I can remember when I found these endings really difficult in Russian, so I'm glad there's at least one small part of grammar which is starting to feel easier with the passage of time.

I watched another episode of 'Татьянин день'. The saga of the lack of personal space in the household continues. You'll remember that three members of the household have just moved out, freeing up a bedroom. Rather than allocate this room to an existing bedroom-less member of the household, the matriarch has decided to rent the room to her granddaughter's literature teacher. Initially, I felt this was a poor decision. Two of the grown up children living in the household also felt this was a poor decision, and so when the teacher turned up with all his boxes to move into the room they turned him away, telling him that their mother had changed her mind. They were then planning to tell the mother (who was out at the time) that the teacher had changed his mind, with the result that they would then be able to have a bedroom each. They are both in their late 20's, if not already in their 30's, so on one level their desire to have their own bedroom seems understandable. But - and this is a big but - in the family argument which ensued once the mother found out what had happened, it turned out that despite the fact both of them are clearly of working age, neither of them pay any rent to the mother or make any financial contribution to the household at all :shock: The girl, in fact, doesn't seem to have any kind of job or even make any pretence of looking for one, while the son did get a bit of casual work as a waiter in one episode (but got drunk on the job and I'm not sure actually ended up getting paid). The daughter mostly spends her days sitting in the house watching TV, while the son mostly spends his days standing outside the house smoking. This seems pretty outrageous to me so I changed my mind and decided that the mother's decision to rent the spare room to a teacher actually made a lot of sense; why should she give up another room to one of those freeloaders when she could get some income by renting it to a third party? :lol:

Total - Russian: 89 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:07 pm

19 October
Monday again, and quite a frustrating one. It feels like so many projects are ongoing and none of them are closed to being finished.

Russian
Carrying on with Schaum's grammar this evening, I worked through a section about irregular plurals and did the exercises, which had two elements to them: getting the plural correct and marking the stress correctly. I'm pretty sure I've done these exercises once before... probably two years ago... but first time around I was definitely just concentrating on getting the plurals right, whereas today the plurals were fairly obviously to me and so I was able to concentrate on getting the stress correct. Later in the evening I also read another chapter of 'Горе невинным'.

Croatian
I watched another episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi' while I was cycling. Still lots of drama. And Dubioza kolektiv have started recording another series of their 'Quarantine show", an online concert on Monday evenings which they first put out during the initial round of lockdowns in March, so I watched that as well.

Total - Russian: 64 mins, Croatian: 46 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 pm

20 October
Tuesdays are my least favourite day of the week and today was a particularly bad Tuesday because for a split second after I woke up, I thought it was Saturday :cry: Also I accidentally managed to order the same thing four times at the weekend (long story!) and all four packages turned up today, despite my best efforts to cancel the orders, so now I have three packages I need return.

Russian
I didn't really feel like studying this evening. In the end I did 45 mins on the exercise bike, watching an episode of 'Татьянин день'. The most Russian thing which happened in today's episode was that one character sat on the sofa slicing a cucumber while she watched TV; she put half the cucumber on her face and ate the other half :shock:

Total - Russian: 45 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 pm

21 October
I had three different people be rude to me today about three different things. I think that might be a personal best :lol:

Russian
I didn't feel like doing any grammar study this evening but I did manage to clear a backlog of Memrise reviews before dinner. I also read another chapter of 'Горе невинным' but it was a pretty short one; only 10 pages.

Croatian
Because I'd been virtuous and watched Russian TV yesterday, I allowed myself to watch another episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi' this evening. It really is a lot easier to cycle to because it has a better selection of dramatic music :D Ironically after I was writing about adult children imposing on their mother in 'Татьянин день' the other day, the storyline in this series today involved a father throwing his daughter out of the family home and telling her to prove she's capable of supporting herself. If you learn one Croatian word from the below clip it should be the exclamation "van!" (out!). I counted it 7 times!

Total - Russian: 30 mins, Croatian: 45 mins
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Radioclare wrote:I had three different people be rude to me today about three different things. I think that might be a personal best :lol:

If it was in three different languages, that's quite an accomplishment. ;)
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I had three different people be rude to me today about three different things. I think that might be a personal best :lol:

If it was in three different languages, that's quite an accomplishment. ;)

Haha unfortunately not, all in English so not even very interesting!

22 October
No one was rude to me today, so that was an improvement. And a project which has been ongoing since last November finally managed to get across the line.

Russian
I read a couple of chapters of 'Горе невинным' this evening. The main word I looked up was "ощущать" (to feel, but I'm not sure what the difference in meaning is between this and чувствовать, which is the verb I've learned for to feel before) .

Later in the evening I watched a video on YouTube by a Russian woman about the cost of living in the UK. I generally find that by listening to what someone Russian thinks is odd about the UK, I learn something new about Russia :lol: Over half the video was about insurance, which doesn't seem to be such a big deal in Russia as it is here. In particular the lady was quite confused about how complicated car insurance is and how the cost varied significantly depending on her postcode.

Croatian
I couldn't resist another episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi' this evening.

Total - Russian: 51 mins, Croatian: 45 mins
5 x

Return to “Language logs”