Japanese and Chill

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Norwegian (A1), Nansha (constructing).

Re: Japanese and Chill

Postby Xenops » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 pm

devilyoudont wrote:I've been hit with depression as well as trying to restructure my daily activities to incorporate more fitness. For now, I am focusing only on keeping on with Japanese, tho I expect I will continue to socially use Esperanto in the meantime.

In terms of Japanese I have been doing a bunch of different things but not sticking with anything.

Depression is tough. I’ve struggled with it for over a decade, and I know others have on here as well. Be gentle and kind to yourself. The good news is that you’re still going with your language learning.

And it might be my bias speaking, but I think you’re focusing on the best language. ;)
7 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish, Norwegian
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 am

Xenops wrote:
devilyoudont wrote:I've been hit with depression as well as trying to restructure my daily activities to incorporate more fitness.
<snip>
In terms of Japanese I have been doing a bunch of different things but not sticking with anything.

Depression is tough. I’ve struggled with it for over a decade, and I know others have on here as well. Be gentle and kind to yourself. The good news is that you’re still going with your language learning.

Agreed. I think when depression hits and extended focus becomes difficult, sampling a bunch of things is not a waste of time. Things that catch your interest when depressed (even if you can't dive deep right then) will tend to hold your interest more compellingly once you resurface.

There's a lot of interesting work going on showing the many contexts in which self-compassion leads to better outcomes than being self-critical--Neff and Germer are the big names to look for. For example, being tough on yourself leads to more procrastination than being self-compassionate. It's so easy to empathize with others yet criticize oneself when faced with a similar situation.
6 x
Progressing from apps back back to books! (neurological injury healing!!!)
Concentrating on Irish (family heritage) & Japanese (my brother lives there)
Ack, wanderlust strikes again! Back to Norwegian, hello Vietnamese!

devilyoudont
Green Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (a mess), KO (dabbling)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12245

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank you both. The self compassion thing is difficult for me, but something I am working on.
3 x
Joyo Kanji: 1320 / 2136 Japanese Intermediate 2: 4654 / 12000

Return to “Language logs”