Japanese and Chill

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Japanese and Chill

Postby ryanheise » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 am

devilyoudont wrote:Streaming study sessions on twitch has been a pretty good productivity tool for me. It happens that 1 or 2 people stop in, and being conscious that anyone sees me prevents me from fucking around. I am also doing some drawing and some gaming on my channel so it's not exclusively language related. I can't set a consistent schedule at the moment, so it's more or less a "when I have time" thing. I put the link in my signature if anyone ever wants to hang out.

What a great idea. I'm not normally one who would consider doing anything like this as I'm normally not very social or outgoing, but this prolonged social isolation that people are going through right now is making me feel like connecting with people more than I normally would, and I'm almost tempted to do something daring like this.

It reminds me of this video I recently saw of a Hikikomori who started his own YouTube channel, is now doing live streams, and has actually started a Kickstarter campaign for a Hikikomori indie game that he is creating:

This pandemic may be turning the world upside down in more ways than one.
2 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:53 am

ryanheise wrote:What a great idea. I'm not normally one who would consider doing anything like this as I'm normally not very social or outgoing, but this prolonged social isolation that people are going through right now is making me feel like connecting with people more than I normally would, and I'm almost tempted to do something daring like this.

I'm sure for some people, interacting with the chat might also be a distraction instead... But, might as well try it if you never did before, and see how it works for you and how you feel about it :)
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 pm

So I finally finished this image which incorporates a Japanese set phrase. Hopefully, I will be doing more of these, but for now my next art project will not be language related (Unless learning how to create and then creating a vtuber avatar for my twitch channel qualifies as language related).

The wow addon has turned out to be totally useless in terms of Japanese study, it is just too far out of date. If I ever decided to play classic again, it might be useful... but if I'm not playing retail wow, why not return to some other game which either is Japanese, or has a pro-level Japanese translation.

In generally this week was more productive than last week, but still not as productive as I would like. I studied kanji 5 out of 7 days... however there was an additional day where I didn't finish my reviews even tho I started studying them. On the other hand, there were 2 days where I actually finished my kanji study early and finished reading chapter 8 of 三姉妹探偵団. My ideal situation would be finishing out kanji reviews and hitting my goals on LingQ daily, but I need to build back up to that.

In terms of listening, things have been a mess... one of my dogs (the yellow one) ate the remote, so I can't watch as much twitch or カードキャプターさくら as I had been. This really sucks because I was really addicted to them. So instead I've been forcing myself thru podcasts again, and sometimes just not doing any listening practice at all. I can't access Twitch or Netflix on my TV without the remote... I can watch these things on my phone, but my battery life is not really great for me to just have the screen on constantly while I am working. The plan is to get a new remote, obviously.

An Esperanto book club will be starting up soon. We will first read 1984, and I am looking forward to that.
8 x

Return to “Language logs”