Crooked logs make straight fires. (Polish, Italian, Latin)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Crooked logs make straight fires. (Polish, Italian, Latin)

Postby cjareck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 pm

StringerBell wrote:At this point I've spent close to 2,000 hours reading and listening to Polish and I have almost no idea declension-wise what sounds right. If 2,000 hours isn't enough to start getting a grip on this, it doesn't seem likely that a few hundred hours per year (one hour/day) is going to make an impact in the next decade. It's time to be honest with myself about what I can and can't do. I can't put together even extremely simple 5 year old-level sentences. I miss a ton of words when reading a children's level book even after reading it in English. In fact, I can't comfortably understand children's level stuff without either an English translation or looking up tons of words.

A friend of mine told me once about the son of my Latin/German teacher from studies: "If he knows three words in a language, he can communicate in it". It seems that personality plays a role in language learning. I think you are trying to do an overkill - understand how Polish grammar works and be perfect in that. That is the level that even I didn't reach ;)

I think that you simply are expecting too much from yourself and setting unreachable goals. In the case of simpler language, it doesn't seem to be a problem. To prove my theory you should start learning other complex language and we could see if this is the case ;)
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Language logs”