Japanese listening from nothing: 2020 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Japanese listening from nothing: 2020 Log

Postby golyplot » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am

Lingodeer rant time:

Yesterday morning, I stopped after the "languages" lesson. It turns out that it is impossible to proceed further in Lingodeer without taking a test. And that test has almost nothing to do with any of the previous lessons. The questions in the lessons all involve clicking on pictures or words to fill in a blank. There's only a single question at the end of each lesson that asks you to spell out a sentence. Meanwhile the test consists entirely of that type of question, despite Lingodeer giving you virtually no practice for it. Unless you obsessively pay attention to the furigana during the lessons, the test is basically impossible. I think it's ridiculous that you can get every question in the lessons right on the first try and still fail miserably on the progress test. The lessons should at least try to prepare you for the test!
0 x

ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)

Postby ロータス » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 am

It's been a while since I have finished the Korean Lingodeer but I'm 100% sure if I did the lessons before, I didnt have to do the 'Test Out' block. 'Test Out' block is only for if you want to skip the lessons that come before it which you have already completed. Trying clicking on lesson 'Daily Supplies ' . It should be unlocked now if you did all the lessons in the 'Language' block... You can tell if it is unlocked if it has a 0/# under the name of the lesson.

Also, I clicked the one first 'Test Out' block and the first question was to from a list of words, from the sentence "I'm an office worker " . Next was what you are talking about, spelling out a sentence in hiragana, Next was pick a word to complete the sentence.

When I did the 'Test Out' blocks before, yes there were a few typing question but it was never for the whole test.
0 x
What happen to this site? :(| Learn by Reading

golyplot
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese

Postby golyplot » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:39 pm

ロータス wrote:It's been a while since I have finished the Korean Lingodeer but I'm 100% sure if I did the lessons before, I didnt have to do the 'Test Out' block. 'Test Out' block is only for if you want to skip the lessons that come before it which you have already completed. Trying clicking on lesson 'Daily Supplies ' . It should be unlocked now if you did all the lessons in the 'Language' block... You can tell if it is unlocked if it has a 0/# under the name of the lesson.

For me, "Daily Supplies" is greyed out, and clicking on it does nothing.
0 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:17 pm

golyplot wrote:
ロータス wrote:It's been a while since I have finished the Korean Lingodeer but I'm 100% sure if I did the lessons before, I didnt have to do the 'Test Out' block. 'Test Out' block is only for if you want to skip the lessons that come before it which you have already completed. Trying clicking on lesson 'Daily Supplies ' . It should be unlocked now if you did all the lessons in the 'Language' block... You can tell if it is unlocked if it has a 0/# under the name of the lesson.

Can you post a screenshot? This is weird
0 x

golyplot
Green Belt

Postby golyplot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:23 am

ロータス wrote:Can you post a screenshot? This is weird

Here's a screenshot attached.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 22.23.09.png
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 22.23.09.png (190.53 KiB) Viewed 358 times
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:16 am

golyplot wrote:

I think this might be a bug. Those tests are meant to see if you can skip a few lessons if you want to. See if you can report it and they will fix it. Or perhaps installing the app will help.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 336 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 189 / 1500

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:16 am

Ahhhhhh okay now we have several issues here.

From your screenshot, it shows you are using the website (which last time I check was in beta) and not signed in which means you dont have a membership to do all of Lingodeer. If you had download the app, it would have stopped you after the second block, forcing you to buy their membership so it can unlock the rest of the app.

( If anyone tells you Lingodeer is free, they were correct a long time ago but now they have moved to a subscription model. If someone says they can still do all the lessons without membership, it is because they have not updated the app to the changed model. )

So you can either:
1. Report this bug somehow (good luck, Lingodeer aren't very active on Reddit anymore but maybe they are there if you email them) and hope they dont change it to match the app, pushing the membership

2. Download the app, start over and pay the membership

I would like to say that I recommended Lingodeer only when it was free. I completed the Korean 1 tree when it was free and while I learned a lot, it was not something I would have paid for. Especially when I saw all the issues people were having just trying to buy the new model when it came out. Maybe they have fixed this and are just more active on Facebook or something but compared to a language like Korean (which doesnt have many options), Japanese already has so many apps, anki decks, anki addons and programs to help you learn it, for free, that I dont see a reason in paying for Lingideer.

Just my opinion. I'm someone else will say the membership is worth it (reddit pushes it a lot now) but not me.
1 x

golyplot
Green Belt

Postby golyplot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:23 pm

ロータス wrote:From your screenshot, it shows you are using the website (which last time I check was in beta) and not signed in which means you dont have a membership to do all of Lingodeer.

Actually, I am signed in (you can tell by the deer icon in the top right corner), and the web version does require a subscription for everything past the first lesson, just like the app.

Anyway, I reported it as a bug as Christi suggested. We'll see what happens.

Also, I just reached level 3 in Wanikani. I think I'm getting the hang of how it works.
0 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm

golyplot wrote:Actually, I am signed in (you can tell by the deer icon in the top right corner), and the web version does require a subscription for everything past the first lesson, just like the app.

There is no 'deer icon' in your screenshot you posted. Only a gray button saying "Sign In" .-.
0 x

golyplot
Green Belt

Postby golyplot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Oops, I didn't notice that. Anyway, I can assure you that it looks exactly the same when I am logged in except that the login button is replaced with a deer icon.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of me logged in. As you can see, it looks exactly the same.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 19.56.36.png
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 19.56.36.png (186.2 KiB) Viewed 274 times
1 x

Return to “Language logs”