Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening

Postby golyplot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:25 am

一日中 = ichinichijyuu = all day
年中 = nenjyuu = all year
夜中 = yonaka = midnight

Why Japanese people, why?!

Anyway, I continued looking through Youtube recommendations on Reddit, and found another two that look promising:

Yumi Ura seems similar to Nihongo no Mori except better

Onomappu talks about language learning. I don't agree with his advice, but listening to him talk is still useful listening practice.

2 x

Sumisu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Japanese (B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 0c0a4beb42

Postby Sumisu » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:06 am

golyplot wrote:I looked for new Youtube channel suggestions on the Japanese learning subreddit today, and saw this one recommended.

It's basically a video of someone going through a daily routine in Animal Crossing while narrating everything. I could understand some bits, but overall it felt overwhelming and hard to understand. I think it might be good practice for more advanced learners though.

Thanks for sharing these. I play Animal Crossing so I was able to understand some of it. Gaming is a great way to learn at the intermediate level I think. You'll have to look up a lot of low-frequency words, but you also see lots of words you already know. Unfortunately since my kids also play Animal Crossing I keep it set on English.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:41 am

Tonight, I encountered the word 母音, where 音 is somehow read as "in". Sometimes I wonder if there's a secret cabal of Japanese people making up the strangest alternate kanji readings they can think of just to mess with people.
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:07 am

golyplot wrote:Tonight, I encountered the word 母音, where 音 is somehow read as "in". Sometimes I wonder if there's a secret cabal of Japanese people making up the strangest alternate kanji readings they can think of just to mess with people.

Curiously, if you look at modern Mandarin and the vast majority of other modern Chinese varieties it's "on" that's the strange alternate reading, although I guess it doesn't look quite as weird if we only consider the Cantonese "yam", Korean "eum" and Vietnamese "âm".
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Yesterday I finished listening to Noriko again and started listening to Teppei and Noriko's conversation podcast. Overall though, I've been feeling despondent about Japanese learning again lately.

This morning, I came across this video in my Youtube recommendations:

It turned out to be about advice for Japanese speakers to improve their English reading ability. Obviously, I'm not personally interested in that, but it did have Japanese subtitles, which was nice.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:27 pm

I watched a Hayato's Ambition video for the first time in a while, and I got very confused because the captions kept saying 身体 (shintai) while Hayato was clearly saying "karada" (体). Apparently, people sometimes pronounce 身体 as "karada" rather than the normal reading. Arrrgh!!

The video seems to also have a lot of high level vocabulary (錬金, 胃腸, 霜 etc.), so it seems like it might be better for advanced Japanese learners. I guess the high levels of WK might actually be useful for something for once.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:21 am

Well, the burst of enthusiasm I got for Wanikani yesterday afternoon sure didn’t last long. I did very badly at WK today, particularly in the evening. Oh well, I’m sure things will change again soon enough.

I also started reading Kona's Big Adventure on Satori Reader yesterday. Previously, I had just been aiming to read a chapter of Akiko's Foreign Exchange every day, and often not even meeting that humble goal. But I decided that if I'm paying $9 a month of Satori Reader, I should try to make more use of it, so I set a goal to instead read at least one chapter of Akiko and one chapter of Kona every day. Of course, even just one day in, and I'm still really struggling to keep up because I got demotivated and distracted by other stuff.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:50 am

Nothing to speak of the last few days, but tonight, I watched this video, the last Youtube channel I found recommended on Reddit. It looks like a pretty good channel for Japanese learners. However, the part I found most interesting was right at the beginning.

She describes a kasa as "boushi mitai", which I found really interesting, because in English they are translated as "conical hat" and "hat" respectively. We consider conical hats to just be a kind of hat, but it seems that in Japanese, they're just considered "hat like", rather than a kind of hat. I guess this is a case of translations not being a good match here.

Also, in the practice of reading about this story on (en) Wikipedia, I came across the term 供養 where 供 is read as "ku" rather than the normal "kyou". It seems like there's no end to the weird alternate readings!

3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:04 am

(reposted from my WK log)

What does the scanner say about his review count? It’s under four thooooouuuusaaaand!!!

After an unusual good start today, I decided to go for broke and see if I could get my review count under 4k for the first time and hit 500 reviews in one day for the first time, and while it did take a lot of hard work, I managed to do both.

My review count hit a new record low of 3974, smashing the previous record of 4284 set on November 21st. I also did 545 reviews in one day today, smashing the previous record of 456 set on September 19th.

But wait, there’s more! I also hit one other notable milestone today. On December 3rd, my +30 day review count (aka “reviews in the next month”) peaked at 5114 before I began the current effort to get it below 5000. It took a long time because the +30 day review count can only be lowered by passing Enlightened and Burn reviews, and it also sometimes goes up. But over the last couple weeks, I burned 100 items and enlightened 105 items, thus finally bringing my +30 review count below 5000 for the first time today!

Sun Dec 19 2021:
Time spent: 125m
Reviews completed: 545
Reviews remaining: 3974
Reviews in next week: 4558 (+584)
Reviews in next month: 4986 (+428)
Accuracy: 77.06% (420/545)
Accuracy on resurrected items: 89.00% (267/300)
Accuracy on non-resurrected items: 62.45% (153/245)

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 2668
Guru: 1460
Master: 531
Enlightened: 658
Burned 1760
4 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:23 pm

しかし、教授は、話すのがすごく速い!私は、だんだん焦ってきた

I found this line interesting because Wanikani taught me that aseru means "to be impatient", but apparently, it can also mean "to feel flustered".
1 x

Return to “Language logs”