Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening: 2021 Log

Postby golyplot » Sun May 02, 2021 1:36 pm

alaart wrote:ちなみに、書いてきている救急車はいるのかな?- By the way, I wonder if there are ambulances that are coming back?
書いて来てる、書いてきてるっていうか。- They are coming back, they are coming back - how should I say it.

Did you mean to write 帰る here rather than 書く?

Anyway, thanks for all the explanations!
0 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Sun May 02, 2021 2:05 pm

oops, yes I corrected it.
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun May 02, 2021 5:21 pm

alaart wrote:So, the ない->ね is a casual form: It is used for young-male speech to sound cool, in some dialects like Kansai, and in Anime.

Are you sure about Kansai? Pretty sure that the ない->ねぇ transformation comes from eastern Japanese dialects, including Tokyo, and shortening it to ね (which the speaker in the video doesn't do BTW, at least not in the line in question) is more of a recent slang youth slang phenomenon.

Also, in my experience the "gender neutral わ" isn't really limited to Kansai anymore, especially in expressions of annoyance. I don't think there was any intent to make the phrase sound Kansai - if there were they'd probably have used something like けえへん instead of こねー.
2 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 am

vonPeterhof wrote:
alaart wrote:So, the ない->ね is a casual form: It is used for young-male speech to sound cool, in some dialects like Kansai, and in Anime.

Are you sure about Kansai? Pretty sure that the ない->ねぇ transformation comes from eastern Japanese dialects, including Tokyo, and shortening it to ね (which the speaker in the video doesn't do BTW, at least not in the line in question) is more of a recent slang youth slang phenomenon.

Also, in my experience the "gender neutral わ" isn't really limited to Kansai anymore, especially in expressions of annoyance. I don't think there was any intent to make the phrase sound Kansai - if there were they'd probably have used something like けえへん instead of こねー.

Yes, you are completely right, it is not Kansai-ben of course, that is something like へん instead of ない, what was I thinking :roll:

Well, the gender neutral わ, I am not sure about it then, I mostly only knew the female わ. Only when I studied a bit of Kansai dialect when I met some Kansai people who really didn't speak standard Japanese, I came across it a bit. This was only for a short time 2 years ago. I try to pay more attention, these days if I see something like that I don't even think about it much and just kind of ~ignore it.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 am

I watched Toradora ep4 last night, but decided not to continue it for now. Tonight, I decided to try Hunter x Hunter instead. Normally, I don't like shounen anime, but this one wasn't too bad, so maybe I'll continue it.

Incidentally, while checking shounen on Jisho, I discovered that shonen (初年) and shounen (少年) are both common, but completely different, words. It's a shame that, as an English speaker, it's very difficult for me to tell apart long vowels like that.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue May 04, 2021 4:01 pm

This morning, I noticed Noriko using -temiru a lot (e.g. 話してみる) when talking about language exchanges and the importance of trying to speak even when you're not very good. It's really heartening to see how I'm able to recognize more and more grammatical details while listening to Noriko, at least when I'm actually focusing and not tuning it out.

I've also gotten better at recognizing vocabulary words. For example, afterwards, I zoned out for a bit, but I was still able to quickly pick it back up in the middle of an explanation about pearls before swine, giving a Rolex to someone who doesn't know the price, etc. I was able to quickly realize that e.g. kachi=value and shinjyu=pearl from context, something I probably wouldn't have been able to do before, despite seeing those words on WK last year. (Of course, recognizing long vowels is still an issue - I thought I heard shinjyuu rather than shinjyu until I looked it up just now to confirm).
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu May 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Yesterday, I looked up the Japanese title of Bofuri (痛いのは嫌なので防御力に極振りしたいと思います). As far as I can tell, this means something like "Since pain is unpleasant, I'm thinking 'I want to max out defence'". Incidentally, is there a way to tell how much of the sentence is supposed to be included in the -to quotation at the end? Is it more like "I'm thinking 'Since pain is unpleasant, I want to max out defence'"?

I'm very puzzled by the term 極振り though. Jisho says it's slang for maxing out an attribute in a game, but I haven't been able to find out more, since Googling it just turns up Bofuri and nothing else. The first kanji means "extreme", which makes sense, but the second kanji is "shake", which doesn't make sense at all.

P.S. I find it pretty crazy that apparently, 嫌 is both a na-adjective and an -i adjective (as 嫌い), both with completely different readings!
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm

golyplot wrote:Yesterday, I looked up the Japanese title of Bofuri (痛いのは嫌なので防御力に極振りしたいと思います). As far as I can tell, this means something like "Since pain is unpleasant, I'm thinking 'I want to max out defence'". Incidentally, is there a way to tell how much of the sentence is supposed to be included in the -to quotation at the end? Is it more like "I'm thinking 'Since pain is unpleasant, I want to max out defence'"?
In general clauses with と and without quotations marks will be a bit ambiguous, but in this case I think your first guess works better, mainly because "xxたいと思います" is a very common structure for expressing desires in a less direct way (a bit like the English "would like").

golyplot wrote:I'm very puzzled by the term 極振り though. Jisho says it's slang for maxing out an attribute in a game, but I haven't been able to find out more, since Googling it just turns up Bofuri and nothing else. The first kanji means "extreme", which makes sense, but the second kanji is "shake", which doesn't make sense at all.

One of the less literal meanings of the verb 振る is "to allocate", which in this case I guess applies to experience points.

golyplot wrote:P.S. I find it pretty crazy that apparently, 嫌 is both a na-adjective and an -i adjective (as 嫌い), both with completely different readings!

Technically they're both na-adjectives. The い in 嫌い doesn't come from the Old Japanese attributive ending き, but from the masu-stem of the verb 嫌う (嫌ひ and 嫌ふ in the old orthography). While there is a tendency to reanalyze na-adjectives ending in い like きれい or 有名 as i-adjectives, so far it seems to be very marginal and limited to youth slang and/or certain regional dialects (and even then there seems to be some disagreement as to whether, for example, the negative form of 嫌い should be きらくない or the less regular きらいくない).
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 am

I watched ep4 of Hunter x Hunter and ep2 of Terrace House tonight. I can't understand much of either one, so I'm still looking for new anime to watch.
0 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:40 am

golyplot wrote:I watched ep4 of Hunter x Hunter and ep2 of Terrace House tonight. I can't understand much of either one, so I'm still looking for new anime to watch.

If you decide to start Hunter x Hunter, you have to expect that you will never see the ending of the anime your entire life :lol: :lol:
0 x

Return to “Language logs”