Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese From Zero

Postby golyplot » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:04 pm

The Great Imgur Purge

A few weeks ago, I heard that Imgur would be going down soon, taking large swathes of the internet with it. Specifically, it will be deleting all anonymous image uploads on May 15th, littering the internet with broken links. In my case, I used Imgur myself to upload images for this log up until December 2020, when iguanamon recommended that I switch to Postimages.

In order to preserve my JPN log for posterity, I decided to reupload all the old Imgur images to Postimages before it goes down. I wrote a few lines of Javascript in the browser console to scrape all 118 pages of my log and find all the imgur links (as well as how many are on each page so I could find the posts to edit later).

The good news is that there were only 29 Imgur links. Even better, Postimages turns out to have a mass upload from URL option, so you can just paste a list of urls into the textbox and it will automatically download every url and upload them to Postimages, so I was able to upload all 29 images at once, and without having to manually download them myself first.

The mass upload tool also conveniently prints out a list of links to all the uploaded images afterward. Unfortunately, they are in a random order, rather than the original order, making that pretty much useless. Of course, I'd have to go through this thread and find each post with an Imgur link and edit in the corresponding Postimages link one by one anyway, but it would have been a bit easier if it had just printed out all the new links in order, rather than forcing me to hunt through the unordered 29 images for the right one for every single post.

Anyway, the whole process took about 40 minutes, and now my Japanese log is safe from the Imgurpocalypse (I wish the same could be said for early Reddit communities - RIP). It turns out I had only 27 Imgur uploads in my log - the other two were comments from other people, one from @devilyoudont and one from @ozymandias, so those are still going to disappear unless they edit their own posts.

vonPeterhof wrote:I actually tried to go and see the largest kofun in Sakai and yeah they're not really tourist attractions, at least not ones supposed to be visited in a traditional sense. You can read the information stands and look at the moats, gates and bridges, but the actual tombs are somewhat understandably off-limits, and from where you stand across the moats they don't really look like anything more impressive than heavily wooded hills. Luckily when I was standing there an older gentleman who was showing his son and grandkids around the city noticed me and told me that if I wanted to get a good view of all the kofuns I should get up to the observation deck on top of Sakai city hall. They even offered me a ride there, and the kofuns definitely looked much better from above.

Thanks for the explanation!
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Tue May 02, 2023 5:45 am

Last night, I watched a song video and noticed that they said "hajiitara" here, which seemed odd. I looked it up, and apparently, 弾く
has an alternate reading of "hajiku" meaning to flip/repel/strum in addition to the more common "hiku" reading (to play a stringed instrument).

---

This evening, I watched an old Hayato video recommended by Youtube. Nowadays, Hayato rarely plays anything interesting and Youtube doesn't make it easy to look through the old ones manually either. Fortunately, this video was actually pretty funny.

I also think it's good Japanese practice to hear Hayato commenting on every absurd aspect of the game world while it appears on screen. Maybe it's just the fact that I've gotten good enough at Japanese now that I could understand most of it, especially thanks to context and when pausing and rewinding bits. I learned a couple new words like dakimakura, mokuba, and wanope from context without even having to look them up, though there were still some things I didn't understand and didn't have luck looking up.

---

Furareta

I also read Furareta ch10 tonight.

遅くなるときは、友達と一緒に帰るとか、気をつけて登下校してくれ——」

I'd heard of 登校 and 下校 before, but never seen them mashed together like this before.

「もう滅茶苦茶だな」

Apparently, 滅茶苦茶 is "mechakucha". I've heard that countless times but had no idea that even had a kanji form.

「病院の先生がそのほうが印象がいいから……って言ってて」

I know sensei is supposed to be more general than just "teacher", but it's still weird to me to see it used to refer to doctors.

---

Aggretsuko

When Fenneco says "You're being too soft" according to the subtitles here, I noticed that the Japanese dialog was "nurui n da yo". I looked up "nurui", and apparently it normally means "lukewarm" but can also mean "lenient".

In s5e2, Haida is kicked out of his apartment so he goes to a net cafe for a cheap place to sleep. It's funny because I only even learned about Japanese net cafes being a place to sleep when it came up in Hi Score Girl, and now it shows up again just two weeks later. This one however, shows more of the process and environment, not just the brief still image shown in Hi Score Girl.

In Hi Score Girl, Ono is shown in a relatively large booth, sleeping on the floor under a blanket. The booth Haida gets, however, is considerably smaller and just has a desk chair and computer. He tries to sleep in the chair, but finds it hard to sleep (something I've read about net cafes as well.)

However, later on, Shikabane bring him to her booth, which she presumably rented hoping to share with him as it has two computers. Her booth is much larger, big enough to sleep on the floor like Ono did, so presumably the net cafes have different types of booths at different prices.

Lastly, Haida gets a gig in construction carrying rocks around and comments afterward that he is out of shape, which I thought was odd because he was frequently shown pumping iron at the gym in the latter half of season 4. Of course, all that gym exercise wasn't enough to let him beat the scrawny Tadano in arm wrestling either.

3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Wed May 03, 2023 5:16 am

Instead of my usual nightly episode of Aggretusko, I watched Hayato's second Shoujo City video tonight. This time, I didn't pause it or worry about the details as much, but it was still very funny. Also, I read Furareta ch11 tonight. JPDB continues to be a terrible grind and timesink even though I'm only doing five new cards a day, and I wish I knew how to make it better.

1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Fri May 05, 2023 2:35 pm

I talked to a coworker who went to Japan last month and asked him about his comment that "there is nothing to see in Nagoya". Apparently, while planning his trip, he talked to a friend from the area, who in turn conferred with his local friends, and they came back to him and told him that he shouldn't go to Nagoya and provided a list of other places to go to in Japan that they said were better. Talk about an indictment of your own hometown!

---
Satori Reader:

Yesterday, I finished reading "My Sweetie is Japanese" on Satori Reader, a series which provides a lot of interesting insights into Japanese culture. The story is fictional, but it's based on interviews with real Americans who married Japanese people and the resulting culture clashes they encountered.

The most notable thing I learned is that Japanese restaurants are apparently very rigid and won't accommodate even requests that are trivial by American standards. In the series, the narrator is refused sugar for his green tea, even though the restaurant provides sugar for people who order coffee, and later is refused a takeout box as well. I had no idea.

その方が、時間をより有効に使えますしね。

An interesting grammar note about the yori + adj pattern, which apparently means "more X". In this case, it means "you can use your time more effectively this way".

Anyway, today I started reading "Closeup: The Zama Nine Murders".

---
Furareta:

Lately, I've been reading a chapter every evening, up to ch13 last night.

絵里の瞳が潤み、涙が流れようとしていた。

I guessed that 潤み is read uruomi, as 潤う is uruou, but apparently it is just urumi instead.

Also, it had "anata" written with the kanji 女:

---
Netflix:

I'm still halfway through Aggretsuko s5, but last night, I looked up Ouran High School Host Club on Netflix (as I was thinking about watching it next after Aggretsuko) and discovered that it is leaving Netflix on May 31st, so I'm planning to start watching that tonight and finish Aggretsuko afterwards. It has 26 episodes, which conveniently means I have exactly enough time to watch one episode per night before it leaves Netflix.

Speaking of Aggretsuko, there was a moment in ep3 that confused me. Fenelope kills a passing butterfly in the game and Haida and Shikabane say "Seriously?!" according to the subtitles. However, the ingame text is "狩るのかよ", which seems a bit different. I can tell that the first part is "to hunt", but I have no idea what it means overall. Does anyone else know?

Also Wednesday night, I was idly browsing Netflix to look for more Japanese shows to watch, and noticed one movie with a male character named Kaede, which surprised me, since I thought that Kaede was a girl's name.

3 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri May 05, 2023 4:28 pm

golyplot wrote:I talked to a coworker who went to Japan last month and asked him about his comment that "there is nothing to see in Nagoya". Apparently, while planning his trip, he talked to a friend from the area, who in turn conferred with his local friends, and they came back to him and told him that he shouldn't go to Nagoya and provided a list of other places to go to in Japan that they said were better. Talk about an indictment of your own hometown!

Coincidentally there was an article on CNN's internet site yesterday entitled: Nagoya shakes off its rep as Japan’s ‘most boring city’. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/nagoya-japan-things-to-do/index.html. Looks pretty interesting to me.
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

nagoyana
White Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN (C*), JA (C*/N1), FR (B2), KO (B?/TOPIK5), CN (just starting...)

Postby nagoyana » Sat May 06, 2023 8:46 am

golyplot wrote:I talked to a coworker who went to Japan last month and asked him about his comment that "there is nothing to see in Nagoya". Apparently, while planning his trip, he talked to a friend from the area, who in turn conferred with his local friends, and they came back to him and told him that he shouldn't go to Nagoya and provided a list of other places to go to in Japan that they said were better. Talk about an indictment of your own hometown!

I spent most of my time in Japan since 2005 (about 3 years in total) in Nagoya and cannot remember how many times I told other people exactly that :lol: For the inhabitants, Nagoya is 住みやすい (a good place to live, to which I can attest), but not especially interesting from a tourism point of view.
The article in Lavengro's post already mentions some places worth visiting and food worth trying. Inuyama is great - although it is not Nagoya ;) And I have been told that Hitsumabushi is actually a local dish of Shizuoka. It is delicious nonetheless. I am sure I could dig up more recommendations if necessary :D

And to end on a classical nothing-to-see-in-Nagoya-note: it is also very conveniently located for (day-)trips to a lot of other interesting places - not only Inuyama, Kyoto and Osaka, but also lesser known destinations such as Fukui and Shizuoka.
3 x
Corrections in any language are much appreciated.

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sun May 07, 2023 5:28 am

The story about the Zama 9 murders on Satori Reader links to this diagram of the killer's apartment layout. What stood out to me is that it has a Western-style bathroom with the toilet and bathtub in the same room. I thought that Japanese custom was to have them in separate rooms, to the point where Haruo specifically remarks on it when they stay in a Western-style hotel. Maybe they just had to put them together because the apartment is so small. To be fair, this apartment would be tiny even by the standards of Western hotel rooms!

---

Yesterday, Youtube recommended to me something different, a live news broadcast about the morning's earthquake in Ishikawa. I found it hard to understand, but watched it for a little while out of curiosity. I noticed that the weather forecast at the bottom has メートル written in tiny letters in a square, as if they got Korean envy and decided to write kana stacked like Hangul.

Also, I looked up a map of the area afterwards and discovered that there's a city named 大野 in the mountains, which stood out because it's the same spelling as the Ono family in Hi Score Girl.

---

My mental image of "hisashiburi" is that you say "hiashiburi da na", so I found it interesting when Sayuri says it with "da ne" here and thought I might have been mistaken. However, in the very next sentence, Hikaru does say "da na".

「光くん、こうやって遊ぶのも久しぶりだね」
「そうだな。また来よう……いつでも」

---

Ouran Host Club:

In episode 2, they make Haruhi dress as a girl for some reason, and for some reason, the animators seem to think that changing your clothes also magically changes your hairstyle.

Haruhi normally keeps her hair cut short, and this is even confirmed by showing her immediately before she changes (that bag she's holding is the outfit she changes into).

However, after changing moments later, her hair is magically shoulder length again. The only way it could possibly make sense is she was given a wig as well, but that barely works, since I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be a wig, and it's not just the length but the style that changes as well. In Boy Forme, Haruhi's bangs go down to her eyes and are rough and uneven. But in Girl Forme, they're suddenly somehow cut straight.

1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Mon May 08, 2023 5:08 am

Furareta:

Last week, I read a chapter every evening, and on Saturday, I took advantage of the weekend to read three chapters in one day. I was planning to read the last two chapters today, but no matter how many times I tried, I just couldn't concentrate. However, I eventually forced my way through, and so I've now officially finished Furareta, the fourth webnovel I've completed.

---

Ouran Host Club:

In Tamaki's imagine spot in ep3, Haruhi is dressed as a girl, but still has her hair short, which surprised me, because in episode 2, when Haruhi changed into a dress, her hair magically grew to shoulder length as well. You'd think it'd be the otherway around, since at least in this case they have the excuse of it being Tamaki's imagination, whereas in episode 2, Haruhi's hair unambiguously transformed in the space of minutes.

This episode also breaks the fourth wall for the first time. I didn't realize this show was the fourth-wall breaking type.

Also, I suddenly realized that I've been pronouncing "Haruhi" wrong all this time. As a teen back in the 2000s, whenever I read about the then-ubiquitous Haruhi Suzumiya online, I always mentally pronounced it as "ha-ROO-hi". However, going by this anime, it's actually pronounced more like "haru-hi".
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue May 09, 2023 5:21 am

Previously, I'd manually spot-checked a bunch of short web-novels listed on JPDB to look for ones with a large number of chapters and hence a low average words counter per chapter. However, tonight I decided to try doing a more systematic search.

I took the top 50 (by word % known) stories with <25k words on JPDB, and then found the number of chapters for each and sorted them by word count. I looked through the page source and wrote some JS/CSS snippets to pull out the desired information, fetch the syosetu.com index page for each story, find the number of chapters, sort and format the data, etc. All in all, it took about 45 minutes, including a digression where I got stuck due to Chrome apparently enforcing CSP on the dev tool JS console for no good reason (I ended up just pasting the data into a tab on a different website (syosetu.com) - fortunately most sites don't use CSP like JPDB apparently does). I probably could have collected the data faster manually, but it was a fun challenge to do it this way.

Anyway, here are the results. I figured I should list the full results in case other people looking for easy-ish stories to read find the data helpful as well. 6 of the top 50 stories on JPDB are dead links, so that leaves 44, of which I've already read four (I put the ones I already read in bold below). So this makes 絆の聖女は信じたい the next lowest, and so I plan to try reading it next. Of course, this has a much higher unknown word % on JPDB than the stories I've read before (~81 vs 90%), but I think having short chapters is more important to making it easier to read.

1. 悪役令嬢が私をいじめるのには訳があるそうです。: 23720 words, 148 chapters, average per chapter: 160.27027027027026
  2. 絆の聖女は信じたい: 20528 words, 56 chapters, average per chapter: 366.57142857142856
  3. 前世、弟子に殺された魔女ですが、呪われた弟子に会いに行きます: 22851 words, 61 chapters, average per chapter: 374.60655737704917
  4. 裏切り者、そう呼ばれた令嬢は: 21626 words, 52 chapters, average per chapter: 415.88461538461536
  5. ひねくれた俺とS級美少女が出会ってしまったようです。: 20528 words, 47 chapters, average per chapter: 436.7659574468085
  6. 猫を被ってる妹に悪役令嬢を押し付けられたお陰で人生180度変わりました。: 15481 words, 33 chapters, average per chapter: 469.1212121212121
  7. 没落寸前だけど結婚したい私: 21147 words, 39 chapters, average per chapter: 542.2307692307693
  8. 超絶金持ちの幼馴染と付き合った俺は最強なのでとりあえず悪を粛清したいと思います: 12656 words, 23 chapters, average per chapter: 550.2608695652174
  9. 婚約破棄され続けたループ令嬢は、今世は諦めることにした。: 16579 words, 30 chapters, average per chapter: 552.6333333333333
  10. 【完結】貧乏男装令嬢の政略結婚〜そっちの趣味がおありですか?と、聞いたらヤンデレ気味に溺愛されています〜: 13956 words, 24 chapters, average per chapter: 581.5
  11. 妹に婚約者を奪われた私は、戦場の悪魔と呼ばれる辺境伯へと嫁ぎます: 15909 words, 27 chapters, average per chapter: 589.2222222222222
  12. ふわふわ日記: 13167 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 598.5
  13. 【完結】名無し姫は札をめくる〜隣国の大使に見染められて二束三文で売り払われた所、大使は王太子だったようです〜: 15104 words, 25 chapters, average per chapter: 604.16
  14. 王子様の婚約破棄から逃走したら、ここは乙女ゲームの世界!と言い張る聖女様と手を組むことになりました: 20040 words, 32 chapters, average per chapter: 626.25
  15. 悪役令嬢は推しが尊すぎて鼻血が止まりません!: 14330 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 651.3636363636364
  16. 【完結】継母の甘言〜可愛くないと育てられた私が公爵夫人になるまで〜: 15243 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 692.8636363636364
  17. 推しの幼少期が見たくて、悪役令嬢を選んでしまった: 16266 words, 23 chapters, average per chapter: 707.2173913043479
  18. 【完結】婚約破棄されて従妹に乗り換えられましたが、納得いかないので彼の新しい婚約をぶち壊そうと思います: 15694 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 713.3636363636364
  19. 記憶を失くした悪役令嬢~私に婚約者などおりましたでしょうか~: 16352 words, 21 chapters, average per chapter: 778.6666666666666
  20. 答え合わせのようなもの: 15664 words, 20 chapters, average per chapter: 783.2
  21. 『こっぴどくフラれてみた』チャンネルのYouTuber、純真無垢な美少女後輩からベタ惚れされてしまう: 24399 words, 31 chapters, average per chapter: 787.0645161290323
  22. 振られた元カノに振り回される中、幼馴染みと再会した俺が立ち直っていく話。【完結】: 15467 words, 19 chapters, average per chapter: 814.0526315789474
  23. 【IF】もう私に構わないでくださいな~お飾り王妃ですが、隣国の公爵様に救われ溺愛されています~【完結】: 18048 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 820.3636363636364
  24. 聖女なんて勘弁願います!: 13832 words, 16 chapters, average per chapter: 864.5
  25. 想いは、ただ一つ: 16777 words, 18 chapters, average per chapter: 932.0555555555555
  26. 恋人だった幼馴染に裏切られましたが、親友だった幼馴染が癒やしてくれたので立ち直って幸せになれそうです。〜あと男と女の友情は成立しないというのは本当でしょうか?: 20599 words, 22 chapters, average per chapter: 936.3181818181819
  27. 待って! それは誤解です!: 14720 words, 15 chapters, average per chapter: 981.3333333333334
  28. 《完結》国を追放された【聖女】は、隣国で天才【錬金術師】として暮らしていくようです: 22014 words, 21 chapters, average per chapter: 1048.2857142857142
  29. 誰より不遜で、臆病な君に。: 18120 words, 17 chapters, average per chapter: 1065.8823529411766
  30. 悪役令嬢と、婚約破棄と、その後の小さな恋の物語。: 19513 words, 18 chapters, average per chapter: 1084.0555555555557
  31. 嘘をついてごめんなさい: 15597 words, 14 chapters, average per chapter: 1114.0714285714287
  32. 素直になりたいのに: 18313 words, 16 chapters, average per chapter: 1144.5625
  33. 婚約破棄された公爵令嬢は山で修行中の魔法使い(隣国王子)と出会い、魔物を食べ、婚約しました。: 21173 words, 18 chapters, average per chapter: 1176.2777777777778
  34. いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば: 17848 words, 15 chapters, average per chapter: 1189.8666666666666
  35. 【引き下げ予定】公爵家の養女になったら義弟のツンデレがかわいすぎて魂ごと持っていかれそうです: 13486 words, 11 chapters, average per chapter: 1226
  36. 魔女の髪に触れていいのは使い魔オオカミだけ。魔力成分を保ちながらサラツヤの髪へ……: 24933 words, 20 chapters, average per chapter: 1246.65
  37. 家の前で倒れていた竜を拾ったら、わたしのつがいだと言いだしたので、全力で拒否してみた: 15729 words, 12 chapters, average per chapter: 1310.75
  38. 美しい指: 15849 words, 12 chapters, average per chapter: 1320.75
  39. 運命の愛なんて知らない: 22175 words, 16 chapters, average per chapter: 1385.9375
  40. 旦那様はとても一途です。: 13150 words, 9 chapters, average per chapter: 1461.111111111111
  41. 元王妃ですが、現代に転生したようです。: 15691 words, 10 chapters, average per chapter: 1569.1
  42. 彼女をみつける日: 17662 words, 11 chapters, average per chapter: 1605.6363636363637
  43. 好きな人に好きって言われても、俺は多分死んでいるからもう遅い: 14041 words, 8 chapters, average per chapter: 1755.125
  44. 人質婚約者のはずなのに婚約破棄されました: 15663 words, 7 chapters, average per chapter: 2237.5714285714284

In case anyone is curious, here are the Javascript snippets I came up with:

Code: Select all

rows = [...document.querySelectorAll('div[style="margin-bottom: 3rem; margin-right: 1.5rem; display: flex; flex-direction: column; align-items: flex-start;"]')]

jd = rows.map(r => [r.querySelector('h5').textContent, parseInt(r.querySelector('table tr:first-child td').textContent), r.querySelector('a:not(.outline)').href])

await Promise.all(jd.map(r => fetch(r[2]).then(r => r.text()).then(s => (new DOMParser).parseFromString(s, 'text/html').querySelectorAll('dl.novel_sublist2').length).then(count => r.push(count))))

vals = jd.filter(r => r[3] > 0).map(([name, words, url, chapters]) => [words/chapters, name, words, url, chapters])
vals.sort((a, b) => a[0] - b[0])

console.log(vals.map(([avg, name, words, url, chapters]) => `[*][url=${url}]${name}[/url]: ${words} words, ${chapters} chapters, average per chapter: ${avg}`).join('\n'))
5 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu May 11, 2023 2:34 pm

Satori Reader:

近所の人によると、事件が発覚する前、白石容疑者の部屋の換気扇は常に回ったままで、悪臭が漂っていたという。

Apparently, 悪臭 is "akushin". I don't think I've seen the onyomi for 臭 before.

そしてそれは、何事も極めようとする完璧主義的な文化からきているのかもしれないな、と思いました。

I learned 極める as "to take to extremes", but apparently it has an alternate meaning of "to master" (talking about the desire to perfect everything in Japanese culture).

---
Mukosei Seijyo:

I read the first chapter of 【コミカライズ】絆の聖女は信じたい ~無個性の聖女は辺境の街から成り上がる~, which I'll refer to as "Mukosei Seijyo" for short. Despite the relatively short chapters, ch1 was pretty rough. The first chapter of a story is almost always the hardest to read, and this is also a fantasy story with a lot of new vocab, which didn't help matters. Hopefully it will get easier in later chapters.

I saw three new kanji that I'd never seen before, 崇める, 祓う, and 穢れ. The first one is lvl59 on WK, so I probably did technically see it before on WK back in 2020. However the last two aren't even on WK at all.

現代において、聖女の存在は当たり前となり、特別ではなくなっていた。

I knew that I'd seen a note about atarimae on Satori Reader before so I went back and looked it up. Here it is:

You might have noticed that touzen and atari-mae appear in almost identical sentences in this episode and seem to mean exactly the same thing. And you would be correct! They are essentially interchangeable, with a few small caveats.
One is that only touzen can act as an adverb:

Another small difference is that only atari-mae has the additional sense of "ordinary; common."

Otherwise, they mean the same thing. But you might be interested in knowing how the word atari-mae came to be. It actually goes back to a kind of misspelling.
People began to write the word touzen with the wrong character for zen:

当然→当前

...and then later, people encountering the misspelled word read it back with kun readings to produce:

当前→当たり前

And voila! A new word that means the same thing.

---
Ouran Host Club:

The show overall has been so-so so far, but ep4 was pretty funny at the end. It also has an interesting moral about not treating people like stereotypes.

The show also teaches you a lot of old slang for gay people. In episode 4, the word "pitcher" shows up, going by the subtitles.

However, the Japanese was "seme" (攻め), which they even helpfully show onscreen.

I looked it up and apparently it means "top" (as in a top/bottom relationship). I guess "pitcher" is slang for the same thing, but it seemed weird to me. Subtitling it as "top" seems like it would make more sense to me, but I guess decisions about translating slang like this are highly subjective.

Episode 6 features "Are you a queer?", when they say "okama" in Japanese. Per Jisho, this is derogatory slang for "effeminate gay man; male transvestite; (preoperative) transgender woman; (gay) male prostitute".

Episode 6 also features the return of Long Haired!Haruhi when she is forced to disguise herself as a middle schooler. This one is slightly more reasonable than in episode 2, since the transformation happens offscreen and it is at least conceivable that the "disguise" also included a giant wig for some reason. But it's still pretty silly. It's so weird how the artists seem to think that gender expression == hair length to the point where dressing as a girl also magically makes your hair grow long.

1 x

Return to “Language logs”