Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sumisu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Japanese (B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 0c0a4beb42

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening: 2021 Log

Postby Sumisu » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 am

golyplot wrote:Tonight, I watched Aggretsuko s2e1 (with subs as usual), the episode where Retsuko's incredibly overbearing mother who keeps insisting she know's best moves in. It made me decide to look up "Mother Knows Best" in Japanese afterwards. I had trouble understanding the song though.

This is super interesting. It all seems to revolve around "信じて" but there is no single phrase that they substitute for "Mother Knows Best." This is why we will always need human translators.
3 x

Maengin
White Belt
Languages: English(N), Mandarin (Reading), French (Learning)

Postby Maengin » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 pm

Anyway, my main activity has been podcasts, as it's been for most of the year. I listen to Japanese podcasts in the background whenever I can (cooking, eating, going for walks, etc.) I'm rarely focused on it or paying much attention, but I figure it still helps. Last month, I tried estimating the time spent listening to podcasts, and I got an estimate of over two and a half hours on average per day which was much higher than I expected.

After this last update, in the posts after it, it seems that you dont think that the podcast listening is helping much. Is this true? If so, why do you continue it? Do you feel like the podcast listening has helped at all or is it just something to have in the background?

Your log is very interesting and it is cool to see so many people come here to help you on your journey.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:28 am

Well, there's little cost to doing it, since I'm just listening during other activities, and it probably helps at least a little.

Anyway, I'm glad you like my log. I feel kind of bad about it, since Japanese has pretty much been on the backburner for me lately.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:07 pm

I haven't done much Japanese study lately, but this morning, I watched another Hayato's Ambition video at least. I learned a new word - 血税. Also, last Friday, I finished reading Yotsubato ch32, the last one on bilingualmanaga.

2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:50 pm

I decided to try reading manga again for the first time in a week. Since I finished the Yotsubato ch32, the last chapter on bilingualmanga.com, I decided to start reading another manga on the site, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (which I already watched the anime for).

付き合って下さい
って言わなきゃっ

I had to look this up, since despite recognizing the kanji, I hadn't heard of the term 付き合う (to go out with) before. I was able to understand the second half at least.

佐倉千代16歳

I was surprised that "sakura" was spelled with seemingly random kanji. I guess I just assumed it would be 桜.

好きな人に告白したら
サインを貰いました

Right off the bat, we have サイン which apparently means autograph ("sign"), one of those katakana words no English person could ever guess. Also, I had no idea that morau even had a kanji spelling. How common is that? Are they just using the kanji to look cool?
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm

golyplot wrote:好きな人に告白したら
サインを貰いました

Right off the bat, we have サイン which apparently means autograph ("sign"), one of those katakana words no English person could ever guess.

I think サイン can also mean some kind of signal. I don't know the context but the sequence
A: "I love you"
B: "OK, here's my autograph"

seems odd to me in most contexts, even when allowing for the fact that it's Japanese! Then again, if she confessed her love at a book signing, maybe yes?
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:42 pm

dampingwire wrote:I think サイン can also mean some kind of signal. I don't know the context but the sequence
A: "I love you"
B: "OK, here's my autograph"

seems odd to me in most contexts, even when allowing for the fact that it's Japanese! Then again, if she confessed her love at a book signing, maybe yes?

The full sequence is

Sakura:
野崎くんっ
ずっずっと
ファンでしたっ
あっあのっ
Nozaki:
どうぞ

She tried to confess her love to him, but ended up just saying that she was a "fan" and so he misunderstood and gave her his autograph.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 am

月刊誌で一応
連載している

This line was amusing because I missed 一応 yet again on Wanikani (I keep getting the meaning mixed up with 一層) just 20 minutes before reading this. Funny how that works out.

野崎くん
すごい人だった
んだなぁ…

What kind of grammar is this? だった would normally end the sentence. It seems like the copula is duplicated for some reaosn?

私 少女マンガ
くらいしか
読まないけど

What does くらいしか mean here? Jisho didn't help. Also, I find it interesting that in the manga, Sakura did not read manga before meeting Nozaki, because in the anime, she was already a huge shoujo manga fan even at the start.
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:30 pm

golyplot wrote:野崎くん
すごい人だった
んだなぁ…

What kind of grammar is this? だった would normally end the sentence. It seems like the copula is duplicated for some reaosn?

The ん here is the nominalizing の, working here with だった like with any other verb. んだな can be interpreted as "so it's that" or "so it turns out that".

golyplot wrote:私 少女マンガ
くらいしか
読まないけど

What does くらいしか mean here? Jisho didn't help. Also, I find it interesting that in the manga, Sakura did not read manga before meeting Nozaki, because in the anime, she was already a huge shoujo manga fan even at the start.

It's くらい+しか. Basically saying that she doesn't read manga other than shoujo, or maybe even "beyond" shoujo, with くらい implying that reading shoujo manga is something normal and well within expectations for someone like her. So yeah, the anime didn't really change things here.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:28 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:It's くらい+しか. Basically saying that she doesn't read manga other than shoujo, or maybe even "beyond" shoujo, with くらい implying that reading shoujo manga is something normal and well within expectations for someone like her. So yeah, the anime didn't really change things here.

Interesting. I guess the fan translation here was wrong then. It was translated as "ALTHOUGHT IT'S A SHOUJO MANGA, I DON'T READ MANGA". It's a shame they're so unreliable.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”