Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:45 am

golyplot wrote:Here's a joke that didn't make sense to me. The fact that the subtitles say "isn't that a copyright violation?" (as best I could tell, the Japanese was something like "is that name ok?") suggests that this name is an allusion to something famous, but I have no idea what it could be, unless it's supposed to be referring to Death Note. Anyone know what the joke is supposed to be here?

It's referencing the manga and anime series 夏目友人帳.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:02 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:It's referencing the manga and anime series 夏目友人帳.

Thanks!

---

This morning, I read ch2 of Oku-Nikkou. As mentioned before, I tried reading this back in June 2022 and gave up after just three sentences. Obviously, my Japanese reading ability is much, much better now, but it was still a challenge, thanks to all the dense poetic nature descriptions. I'm having second thoughts about tackling this story, even now.

もう、うどんを飲み込むように食べて搭乗ゲートに走ったよ。
そしてその入道雲は、あっという間に真っ黒な雲となり、湖の周りの山々を飲み込んだ。

In an incredible coincidence, I read one chapter each of Sakura and Suzuki's Long Distance Relationship and Oku-Nikkou this morning, and they both used 飲み込む (a word I hadn't seen before), and in different senses in both stories! In the former, Sakura is wolfing down her noodles in order to run to the airport gate following an announcement for her flight, while in the later, the narrator is talking about thunderclouds metaphorically "engulfing" the mountains.

This also shows how the poetic nature descriptions in Oku-Nikkou make things challenging. However, the previous sentence was even harder:

さっきまで澄み切っていた青空に、いつのまにか真っ白な入道雲がモクモクと沸き上がっていた。

This had several unknown words (澄み切って, いつのまにか, 入道雲, and モクモク), but the complex set of clauses and time references also made it hard to parse.

そして、僕の頬っぺたにポツっと大きな雨粒が落ちたかと思ったら、大粒の雨がバラバラと降り出した。

In another coincidence, the word 粒 came up for review on Wanikani this morning and I missed it due to only knowing the onyomi and not remembering the vocabulary reading (I guessed tsuba). Seeing it here is especially surprising because I learned it as "grain", and I had no idea that it could refer to stuff like raindrops.

そして一気に土砂降りになった。

"土砂" is a word that I struggled with on WK for a long time last year due to the unusual reading of 砂, but I did get it down eventually. It was surprising to see it show up here as part of a compound that means something completely different though, just like 粒.

次の瞬間、空に稲妻が光った。

Most of the weird unknown nature words here can at least be guessed from the kanji (e.g. 入道雲 is obviously some kind of cloud), but not this one. Apparently "rice wife" means "bolt of lightning" in Japanese. WTF?!
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 pm

彼らは互いに微笑みあった。
They smiled at each other.

Here's an annoyingly perverse reading (hohoemu)

---

When talking about Sumo and Kabuki on her podcast, Noriko mentioned that despite being Japanese, she had seen them on TV but had never watched them "nama". I had learned 生 as "fresh" and didn't realize it could also refer to live performances. Although now that I think about it, I've could have sworn that I've heard her talk about "nama livestreams" in the past as well.

---

Last Thursday night, I finished reading "Sakura and Suzuki's Long Distance Relationship" on SR, and thus started Kiki-Mimi Radio (hard edition) on Friday (in addition to continuing to read Oku-Nikkou). It was pretty challenging at first, most challenging than Oku-Nikkou I think. I know I complained about the later here before, but it's really just ch2 of Oku-Nikkou that is excessively difficult due to the nature descriptions. Once he switched to talking about his childhood and parents, it got a bit easier.

Anyway, here are two sentences I copied out of Kiki-Mimi Radio ch1 because I thought they might be useful speaking Japanese in general. Here's how to talk about one's daily routine.

私は、毎朝仕事に行く前に、この公園でウォーキングをするのが日課だった。公園には、私のようにウォーキングやジョギングをしている人、犬の散歩をしている人など、朝からたくさんの人たちがいた。

---

On Saturday night, I saw that Umbrella Academy s3 was out, and decided to see if it was dubbed in Japanese, and if so, to try watching an episode in Japanese to see what it was like. Much to my surprise, it is dubbed in Japanese (and many other languages), and I also discovered that Netflix has finally fixed their language menu.

For many years, Netflix's language menu would only display six language options, no matter how many were actually available, necessitating horrible hacks like changing your profile language in order to force that language to appear in the options when available. It's really nice to see that they now have a big menu which shows all the options.

As far as UA itself goes, I switched back to English almost immediately and just watched it in English. It's a pretty dumb show, but I figured I'd watch the first episode just to see what it was like. Unfortunately, it was still pretty lame, and from what I've read, s3 just gets worse from there, so I don't plan to watch any more.

---

On Sunday night, it was back to Komi Can't Communicate. In this episode, the boys imagine what it would be like to date each girl, and there's a notice saying that it is just their imagination. It had a kanji I didn't recognize before, so I tried to look it up, which isn't easy when you have a kanji with unknown meaning and reading in a video where you can't just copy paste it. The way I eventually found it was by typing "gensou" into Jisho in order to bring up 想, then copying it into JPDB and looking through all the words containing 想 until I found it (妄想). Apparently, 妄 is level 60 on Wanikani, so I technically have seen it before, but not in a way that I'd ever actually remember.

---

On the SR forums, I recently asked why in "何度もママのスケジュールを説明された。でも、僕には全然理解できなかった。", it is boku ni. Brian Rak responded, explaining that in Japanese, wakaru is more like "to make sense" rather than "to understand". It is something the information does, and thus the understander is marked by ni. I can't believe I went 2.5 years without noticing that.

---

そして奥の方に来た時、棚の隅の方にあった小さな四角い物に目が留まった。

I had no idea that 四角 could be used as an -i adjective as well as a noun.

それは手のひらにすっぽりと収まるぐらいの大きさで、木でできていた。

I have long struggled with keeping 収まる/納まる straight and remembering which is which on WK, so it's cool to actually encounter one in the wild.

スマホを 水 に 落 としてしまったら、 動 かなくなった。

Here, SR has a note saying that ugoku can be used to refer to machines functioning, even ones that don't have any moving parts like a smartphone.

---

でもある時、黄金色の猿が、木の上で柿をおいしそうに食べていたんだ。

Here's another unexpected reading. 黄金 is apparently "ougon". Apparently, it is a common word that is used in phrases like "golden era" or "golden mean", so I guess I should study it. Per the discussion on SR, it could also be read as kogane, but that is rarer and not what the author intended here. I guess that makes this a Buy One Get One Free for weird readings.
4 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:48 am

P.S. I also made a graph of the last 90 days of WK stats on Sunday (which means it doesn't have Sunday or Monday's stats included).

3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:24 am

I remember last year, someone talking about reading The Temptation of Thanatos (back when there were more Japanese logs here than just me :cry: ). I've been doing a lot of active reading on Satori Reader lately, but I haven't done any passive reading, so I decided to try reading The Temptation of Thanatos myself, and to try reading it straight through without looking up any words.

There were of course a bunch of unknown words, but I was still able to understand the gist of most of it. It took around 21 minutes to read. Afterwards, I read it in English with Google Translate, then looked up most of the unknown words and added them on JPDB.

I also listened to 夜に駆ける on Youtube afterwards and was disappointed to see that comments were disabled. It may be my imagination, but I could have sworn that it had comments before. It's frustrating that so many videos have comments disabled nowadays.

---

The following morning, I noticed that when Noriko was talking about The Queen's Gambit, she said that Beth's mother "jisatsu wo hakaru". That sounded like one of the new words I encountered in The Temptation of Thanatos, so I looked up the transcript, and sure enough, it was. I wonder if 図る is especially associated with suicide. It sure is an interesting coincidence that I'd see it used twice in the exact same context just twelve hours apart. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't have recognized it if it hadn't - it's pretty generic sounding on its own.

---

まあ、一人で食パンを焼いてバターやジャムを塗って食べる朝食も、そんなに悪くはないけどさ。

When I see 焼 in the context of bread, I always think of 焼き立てパン. I didn't realize that it could mean "toast" as well as "bake".

それに焼き立ての魚に、ネバネバの納豆、そして炊き立てのほかほかご飯だ。

Speak of the devil. 焼き立て threw me here, since cooking fish is a completely different mental category to baking bread for me. Of course, it can mean both, as seen in words like 照り焼き or 焼肉, but I guess I haven't seen that exact phrase used for fish before.

---

@kelvin921019's post also mentioned Haruka's podcast, so I decided to try listening to it a bit tonight as well. It seems pretty promising, so I plan to listen to it once I'm done listening to Noriko's podcast (for the 21st time!). For a long time now, I've been thinking about trying to find another podcast to listen to, rather than just endlessly repeating Noriko and Utaco (21 and 8 times respectively to date).

---

Komi Can't Communicate

One thing that puzzled me is when the word サバと showed up onscreen, since I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit when I looked it up in Jisho.

Also, there's a point where they talk about "giving protein to the enemy" and it is quoted in a way that makes it seem like it is a reference to a famous saying, but I'm not sure what the reference is, and Google didn't help.

Also in this episode, they play a party game called "Who is the king?", which I had never heard of. It's interesting to see bits of Japanese culture like that. The previous episode features a truck driving around the neighborhood selling roast sweet potatoes in much the way you might see an ice cream truck in the US.

4 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm

golyplot wrote:One thing that puzzled me is when the word サバと showed up onscreen, since I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit when I looked it up in Jisho.

If katakana vs. hiragana makes a difference on Jisho you should try looking up サバト instead.
golyplot wrote:Also, there's a point where they talk about "giving protein to the enemy" and it is quoted in a way that makes it seem like it is a reference to a famous saying, but I'm not sure what the reference is, and Google didn't help.

Apparently the original expression is 敵に塩を送る.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:56 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:If katakana vs. hiragana makes a difference on Jisho you should try looking up サバト instead.

It doesn't make a difference. Searching for "sabato" will turn up both. サバト (sabbath) did come up, but I just ignored it because it didn't make sense.

vonPeterhof wrote:Apparently the original expression is 敵に塩を送る.

Thanks!
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:05 pm

2.5 Year Update

Well, it's time for another update. The main change over the last six months is that I've been spending a lot more time practicing reading. I've been reading a lot on Satori Reader, but also did some reading on Shousetsuka ni Narou. I also started studying non-WK vocab on JPDB, replacing my previous attempts at Anki. And I've continued spending a lot of time on Wanikani and listening to podcasts in the background for hours a day, as I've been doing for the last year.

In addition to continuing to practice reading, one goal I have for the next six months is to start learning how to speak Japanese as well. Since I'm self-studying and only concerned with receptive skills, I haven't bothered to practice productive skills at all over the last 2.5 years, apart from going to a weekly Japanese meetup for a while last year. But I do think it'd be nice to get conversational in Japanese as well, so I intend to try out Italki lessons starting in August.

My main problem is that I have a very low tolerance for making mistakes or not knowing how to say something, which makes it difficult to start speaking. I know that there's some Youtube Polyglots who film themselves harassing random strangers as soon as they learn how to say "hello", but I'm the opposite. I'm not outgoing at all, and even the thought of taking private lessons 2.5 years in is very intimidating. Anyone have any advice for this?

JLPT

Six months ago, I took the 2012 N3 practice test here and did surprisingly well on the test, except for taking much too long on reading and not even attempting the grammar section. So I assumed that after six months of further vocab study and reading practice, I'd easily be able to ace the practice N3 test. Unfortunately, the exact opposite happened, which was a huge blow.

Six months ago, my scores were as follows:
Vocabulary: 28/33
Reading and Grammar: N/A
* Grammar: skipped
* Reading: 13/16
Listening: 17/27
* Task-based comprehension: 4/6
* Point-based comprehension: 5/6
* Summary: 3/3
* Utterance expressions: 3/4
* Quick response: 2/8

When I took the exact same test yesterday, my new scores were:
Vocabulary: 23/33
Reading and Grammar: 25/39
* Grammar: 12/23
* Reading: 13/16
Listening: 14/27
* Task-based comprehension: 3/6
* Point-based comprehension: 5/6
* Summary: 1/3
* Utterance expressions: 2/4
* Quick response: 3/8

I just don't understand how I could do so much worse on Vocab after six additional months of study. It seems like I must have never known it well in the first place and just gotten much luckier on guessing the first time around.

As for listening, I've always done worse on the practice JLPT listening tests than I would have expected, given the amount of listening immersion I did. Sometimes it feels like the question format is a bit artificial, particularly "utterance expressions". However, I am definitely disappointed by the Summary section, since that's the one place where I would expect to do best, as it involves understanding an entire conversation (so more context) and then answering a question about it. However, this time around, I only managed to fully understand the dialog on question #2 (plus the practice question) and just had to guess on the other two (and guessed wrong both times). I wish I knew whether I understood them better six months ago or just got lucky on guessing. One thing that feels really punishing about the listening section is that even a slight lapse in concentration or a single unknown phrase can make it impossible to answer the question.

The new section was grammar, which I didn't even bother attempting last time. Grammar has always been my weak point on the practice JLPT tests. I wish I knew a way to study it. I was hoping that I would just naturally pick it up from immersion, and that did happen somewhat - I was actually surprised how many questions I got right! I felt like I was basically just guessing on the whole thing and there were only one or two questions I was confident about until the end.

The final section of the grammar test was interesting - it consists of an essay with five blanks you need to fill in. This seemed more up my alley since there is more context, although it was still grammar words that needed to be filled in and it was still hard to guess. However, I did manage to get four of the five right in this section anyway. (Which means I got 8/18 on the rest of the grammar section.)

The one clear sign of improvement was in reading speed, although even there, I was disappointed that I didn't improve more. The real JLPT gives you a combined 70 minutes for the grammar and reading sections. However, when I took it six months ago, I skipped grammar entirely and spent 81 minutes just on the reading section. This time, I spent 39 minutes on grammar and 60 on reading. So I did speed up a fair bit, though less than I expected. I was also disappointed that I didn't get more questions right on reading - I got the exact same score as before. I don't have my answers from before, but I wouldn't be surprised if I even got the exact same questions wrong with the exact same answers. One of the downsides of taking the same test multiple times is that you tend to get misled by the same question in the same way each time, so scores are a lot more resistant to improvement than you might naively expect.

Wanikani

In my first year of Japanese, I raced through Wanikani as fast as possible and hit level 60 in only 353 days, then abandoned it when my subscription ended. However, I soon came to realize that I had forgotten a lot of what I had learned, and that I never learned most of the higher level material properly in the first place, so in May 2021, I resubscribed and began my second Wanikani challenge.

I resurrected everything and then set myself to slowly whittling down the resulting pile of ~6500 reviews a second time. Initially, I tried to do it without any resets, but after a month or two of not getting anywhere, I gave in and reset to level 46, where I've been stuck ever since.

Since starting WK the second time, I've done 39096 reviews in a little over a year. For the first few months of the challenge, there was little sign of visible progress. However, in the last six months, my review count has fallen increasingly rapidly. My review count is now below 2000, down from a post-reset high of over 5300!

There are multiple reasons for this acceleration. Part of it is that I'm actually getting better over time and starting to remember the words more. The increased accuracy also feeds into increased review speed, since I spend a lot less time looking up missed answers and trying to figure out how to distinguish words/kanji/etc that I keep confusing.

However, the most significant cause of this pattern is a natural consequence of the SRS levels. At first, most everything was at Apprentice, and even reviewing it correctly would only punt it eight hours into the future. However, over time, with tireless reviewing every day, more and more of the items have reached the higher SRS tiers, and thus take longer to come up for review again (or eventually stop coming up at all), and so my review count would go down increasingly quickly, even with no other changes. Here's a graph of the number of items in each SRS category over time:

Satori Reader

I actually started SR way back in fall 2021, but I've been putting more emphasis on it lately. I set myself the goal of reading every story on SR, and then ending my subscription and moving on to reading free web novels on syosetsu.com. I've already finished Kona's Big Adventure, Akiko's Foreign Exchange, Hole in the Wall, Meditation, Sakura and Suzuki's Long Distance Relationship, and The Jam Maker, and am currently working on Oku-Nikkou and Kiki-Mimi Radio.

That being said, I do think that SR is really important as a bridge. I've learned a lot from the grammar and culture explanations, and being able to instantly see the (manually curated) definition and reading and translation of everything is really nice.

JPDB

Last December, I experimented with Anki for a while, but Anki is a pain to use. Fortunately, JPDB fills the same space while being much nicer and having better features, etc.

I started JPDB in March, and initially went through the N5, N4, and N3 decks, before starting the いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば deck because that was the web novel listed on JPDB with the fewest unknown words. I've been very slowly going through that ever since. I was at 75% words known when I started and am currently at 91%, although a lot of that was just from blacklisting words. I've also started occasionally adding new words I encounter in the wild to my "General" deck on JPDB (63 to date).

Despite being much better than Anki (talk about low bars!), JPDB was pretty miserable at first. After aggressively blacklisting words (particularly anything grammatical, but also sometimes homographs, words that seem too hard, etc.) reducing my max review session to six minutes, it has gotten better, but it is still a slog. One complaint I had early on was that there were a lot of misparses in the example sentences, but I haven't noticed any recently, so either they fixed that or else I just started blacklisting the kind of word that is likely to have misparses (like grammar stuff).

In a six minute review session, I typically manage to go through 14-15 cards. It's actually remarkable, just how consistent it is, since you'd expect it to vary a lot based on luck when a lot of easy or hard cards come up at once (though my last two sessions were just 12 each). Everybody else says they're doing hundreds of reviews a day on JPDB - I'm wondering how much of it is just them pointlessly reviewing easy cards a lot. A common suggestion I've seen is to auto-fail any card which you can't recall instantly, which seems like a recipe for just endlessly churning leeches. Besides, theoretically you're learning best when something is hard to recall.

I've noticed a pattern where typically, I'll get my review pile down to 0 on JPDB and do a few new cards for a day or two, and then suddenly get overwhelmed by the reviews and not manage to get it down to 0 again for many days (and thus do no new cards). Most recently, I haven't done any new cards in the last week, and I don't think I'll manage to get the review pile down today either.

Meanwhile, my new card pile is up to 500 from a low of 481, thanks to a) not doing any new cards in the last week, and b) adding some new words that I encountered in the wild. (Most recently, I added しっくり , which I learned from watching Komi Can't Communicate on Thursday night. I actually added several new words from the movie Bubble last night, but then removed them again because I don't want my new card pile to go above 500 :| ).

Edit: In my second JPDB session today, I must have failed a kanji or something, because the new count went down to 499, so I went ahead and added uzu from Bubble to bring it back up.

Anyway, I think JPDB has a lot of promise if it continues to improve in the future, although I do have a few gripes. One is how you can't control the readings that appear on kanji cards. For example, I added 白杖 (after seeing it on Satori Reader - The Jam Maker), but the kanji card for 杖 on JPDB only lists つえ and づえ as readings, despite it being more natural to learn onyomis first anyway. Also, the kanji cards mostly don't have mnemonics, but I guess I can't complain much about that, since that would require WK-style curation and you'd probably have to come up with your own mnemonics for them to be any good anyway.

Another gripe is that JPDB doesn't give much sense of progress when doing reviews, so it is hard to stay motivated. Going from say, 90% to 91% words known can easily take weeks, so there's no sign of progress in the interim. It would be nice if a) values were shown in 01.% increments instead and b) have a little green popup like WK does whenever a word becomes known during reviews.

Lastly, I wish it was easier to get them to add new decks for web novels. Apparently, there's a process set up to add most forms of media, but not web novels, so they almost never get added.
4 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:54 am

golyplot wrote:サバト (sabbath) did come up, but I just ignored it because it didn't make sense.

Well that's what it's supposed to be based on the kanji, not in the religious sense but in the meaning of "gathering of witches".
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:36 am

Yesterday, I heard Noriko say "America gasshuu" when listing the locations of her listeners and wondered about what gasshuu meant. I was reminded of the word 合唱団 (gasshoudan) and figured that it was probably that + 州. It turns out that I was half right - it's apparently actually written 合衆.

懐かしいねえ」と、目を細めて懐かしそうに語った。

I find it interesting that in Japanese, "narrowing the eyes" means smiling, since it has a completely different meaning in English.

---

I came across a post on Reddit today complaining about the artificial nature of the JLPT reading and listening sections. It was nice to see confirmation of something I'd been thinking for a long time myself. I decided to stop using JLPT tests to judge my progress and stop worrying about practice JLPT tests at all and just do whatever I feel like instead.

---

I spent a lot more time than usual on JPDB yesterday and today, and after many sessions, I finally managed to break through the review wall and start doing new cards for the first time in eight days. My new pile is now down to 491 from a high of 513 (I gave up on trying to keep it at 500 and started added new words again.)

3 x

Return to “Language logs”