Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening

Postby golyplot » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:08 am

瑠奈は今年中学3年で、受験期である。朝から予備校に行ったらしい。

I heard "yobikou" come up a lot in Blue Period Sunday night and looked it up, so I was surprised when I saw it immediate come up again in いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば the next day.

恵梨香もマンションを父親に送り出されてロビーに向かい、玄関を出る。
「暑いなぁーーーーー」
 恵梨香も日差しに照らされて待ち合わせ場所に向かう。待ち合わせ場所には天斗はもう着いている

Up until now, the story had followed Sorato around and always been told from his perspective, and he even occasionally says "Boku" in the narration, so I assumed it was actually first person, and he just refers to himself in the third person all the time for no good reason. However, here we see the first point in the story that explicitly depicts something that Sorato was not present to see. So I guess the story is mostly limited 3rd with occasional dips into both 1st and omniscient. I suppose the bizarre and inconsistent perspective is one of the reasons people say that it might have been written by an actual highschooler.

明らかに恵梨香は笑いながら疑っているが、僕は断固認めない。

I'd previously learned 疑う (utagau) on WK, so I assumed 疑 would have the same reading here, but apparently, it's utaguru for some weird reason. Also, I was confused here because I thought 認める was just "to recognize", but apparently, it can also mean "to confess" of all things.

---
Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble sleeping, so I watched a very difficult Japanese video to make myself sleepy again, specifically 文学YouTuberベル's review of Kaka. Anyway, I noticed her saying "kingyo" a lot, but "goldfish" didn't make much sense, given that it is a book review. I looked it up to see if there were any homophones, and sure enough, it is probably 近業 (kingyou) meaning "recent work".

---

防災放送などしたことがなかったから操作はよく分からなかったが、適当にスイッチを入れまくったら、ランプが付いた。

Interesting note from SR here about while 適当 can mean "suitable, proper, appropriate", it actually has another, nearly opposite meaning. "In real life, 97% of the time", it will instead mean something like "good enough/doing any old thing", as it does here. Also another note explaining that the -makuru suffix means "with reckless abandon".

---

「なあ、恵梨香、おまえのお父さんは、なにをやってる人なんだ? あんなに大きなマンションに住んでて、別荘も持っててすごい人だよな 」
「ううんすごい人ではないよ!全然!ただの実業家なんだよ! 」

From context, すごい人 obviously means something like "rich person", but I'm a bit surprised, because すごい is listed as "amazing, terrific, etc". Without context, I would have guessed that it would mean "amazing person" as in a complementing their character. Is this some sort of slang?

---

Blue Period ch6:

Netflix popped up a content warnings in the corner at the beginning, listing among other things, "suicides", so I kept wondering who was going to die in this episode (Yasutoka seemed like the obvious candidate). However, as it turns out, there were fortunately no suicides in the episode after all.

One thing that does puzzle me is how they can be working for 12 hours a day at prep school, when they presumably are still attending regular highschool as well. Is the prep school just on weekends or something?

3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:21 am

I did it! I finally did it! A year and 13 days after resetting to level 46, I finally reached level 47 again!

This morning, I didn’t feel up to WK and quit after only two minutes. In the afternoon, I didn’t get started until 5:42 and didn’t think I’d be able to get through my target of 100 reviews since I have a rule about not doing WK after 6pm. However, I rushed through as fast as I could and somehow made it through 100 reviews in only 16 minutes, and with 84% accuracy to boot.

However, I was even more shocked when I went back to the WK dashboard and saw 57 lessons awaiting me, indicating that I’d somehow leveled up. I never expected it to happen like this or this quickly. I’d been stuck at two kanji remaining for the last eight days, and I figured it would take a long time for the first kanji to randomly come up, and then even longer still for the second kanji and the level up. But somehow, two different level kanji came up together right near the end of the session, so I leveled up out of nowhere without even noticing.

Anyway, it was after 6pm, but I didn’t want to neglect the new pile of lessons after leveling up, so I broke the usual rule and powered through all 57 lessons in 20 minutes (6:02-6:22), barely paying attention. I’m sure I won’t remember most of them, but oh well. I’ll learn them eventually, one way or another. It’s funny how a few of the kanji seem incredibly obvious due to being parts of common words that I already know, while the rest seem hopelessly obscure. In fact, one of the new words (眺め) confused me, because I felt like I’d been reviewing it all along this last year. I could have sworn it even came up in my leech lists before. I couldn’t believe that it was actually on level 47 in WK.

Incidentally, the 57 new lessons I did tonight also makes this probably the first time in a very long time that my Apprentice count actually went up.

Thu Jul 21 2022:
Time spent: 38m
Reviews completed: 112
Reviews remaining: 1660
Reviews in next week: 2146 (+486)
Reviews in next month: 2981 (+835)
Accuracy: 83.93% (94/112)
Level: 47

Current item counts:
Apprentice: 742
Guru: 872
Master: 875
Enlightened: 2125
Burned: 2659

---

In non-Wanikani news:

One of the reasons I studied いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば is because it was the easiest webnovel listed on JPDB. Until recently, I was at the mercy of which decks JPDB had built-in or not. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get them to add new web novel decks despite months of trying. However, Tuesday evening, I decided to see if there was an option to create custom decks and try it out. It works pretty well. You can just paste in the text of the story, and it will automatically parse the words using JPDB's parser and compute the frequencies and create the deck for you and so on.

I tried it out by creating a deck for 鈴木おさむ「月王子」, the short story behind Yoasobi's song Haruka and have been studying it ever since. In the mean time, I'm still reading いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば, since after spending months studying its vocab, I might as well. I finished ch3 last night and started ch4 this morning. Only 11 chapters to go!
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 pm

後に、町長は私に、「君の勝手な行動については、本当は注意しないといけないところなんだが…。

天斗は、立ち上がり、海を後にしてみんなのいる別荘に戻った。

In Satori Reader here, I was surprised to see 後に read as nochini, since I assumed it would just be atoni. In the comments, Brian responded to someone asking about this with

Your main clue that 後に is のちに is actually the に. The word あと does not usually take に; it usually takes で. There are exceptions of course, like:

後になって(あとになって)
at a later time

...but if you see the 後に all alone at the beginning of a sentence, it's basically guaranteed to be のちに. (And by the same token, if you see 後で all by itself at the beginning of a sentence, it's guaranteed to be あとで.)

Therefore, when I saw 後に in いつも通りの日常で、、君からすれば soon afterwards, I assumed it would be のちに as well. However, it turned out to be atoni after all. I guess 後にして is another one of the exceptions that Brian alluded to.

---

そして、女王様のように毎日私に指図をして威張っている。

When listening to this chapter before reading it, I heard "jyousama" and assumed it was just 嬢様, but it turned out to actually be 女王様. Short/long vowels are so annoying!

あのラジオがなくても、今にも白猫は、「ちょっとあんた」としゃべりだしそうだ。

Here, SR explains that the story is actually an allusion to an old fairy tale called 聞き耳頭巾. Also has a note explaining the imanimo-X-souda pattern. I'd struggled through 今にも on both Anki and JPDB, but never really learned it. It's cool to see an explanation of what it really means here.

裏山の中は傾斜が急だった。

Interesting to see 急 used to describe a steep slope here, rather than its usual meanings of "sudden" or "urgent".

---

Blue Period ep9: Yaguchi meets Ryuuji/"Yuka-chan" again and seemingly randomly says "Cut it out. That's so creepy." It obviously didn't come across in the English subtitles, but I assumed that he (they?) was using feminine speech style here. I went back and listened briefly and I did notice a "wa" at the end of a sentence, as well as a "yo". "Yo" of course is gender neutral, but I do recall from Satori Reader that ending a sentence in yo without the preceding copula is a distinctly feminine trait, as repeatedly pointed out in notes on Kona's Big Adventure, where the character Lilly speaks like this, so this might have been that.

Later, Ryuuji is shown working at a hostess bar, posing as a girl, which confused me. I'm not an expert on the matter or anything, but I find it very difficult to believe that a guy could pass as a girl well enough to fool hostess clients, at least without hormone treatments and surgery, and given the fact that this is Japan and her/his parents are extremely opposed, those seem unlikely.

Incidentally, it seems like the Netflix content warning about suicide is shown whenever you start watching the show, regardless of episode. Which presumably means one will happen at some point, and there are only three episodes left. The end of ep9 was uncomfortable to watch, because it kept seeming like Ryuuji was about to commit suicide. Also, wow, their father is a dick! I can't even imagine just throwing away all your kid's possessions.

---

Yoasobi's song Gunjyou is often described as being based on the manga Blue Period, but more specifically on a short story called 青を味方に, which is based on the series. I was planning to read it after finishing the anime, but looked it up this morning, since I figured it would take time to study the vocab first (which turned out to be unnecessary as it is so short).

Unfortunately, it wasn't one of the ones linked in kelvin921019's post, and it's not on Monogatary either. Apparently, the story was published on a chocolate company's website as part of an ad campaign, much like Soredemo Happy End. I had to go to Japanese Wikipedia to even find the link, and the link turned out to be broken anyway. Luckily, archive.org had it covered.

Incidentally, I discovered that the words 概要 and 脚注 are on every page on Wikipedia, but JPDB lists them as "top 12600" and nothing respectively. Guess the JPDB corpus doesn't include much Wikipedia. :P
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:41 am

I finished reading Kiki-Mimi Radio on Friday and started News. Unfortunately, the News articles are short and boring and the annotations are poor quality. Presumably they stem from the early days before the Satori Reader writers hit their stride.

---

Tonight, I finally finished watching Blue Period. In answer to my last post, there turned out to be no suicides. The closest it came was ep10, where Ryuuji just briefly talks about it (saying that he isn't ready to die). Presumably, just that bit is what caused Netflix to add the content warning.

One bit of interest: there are two mentions of "buttons" in this episode. From context, it seems like students exchange buttons during graduation? It's interesting, as I've never heard of that tradition before.

Now that I've finished Blue Period, I read the short story 青を味方に.

It is very short and I already knew nearly all the words. Unfortunately, I still couldn't understand it at all! It seems like it is too poetic and there's no narrative to create context. So that was a bit frustrating.
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:16 am

golyplot wrote:One bit of interest: there are two mentions of "buttons" in this episode. From context, it seems like students exchange buttons during graduation? It's interesting, as I've never heard of that tradition before.

There's a school graduation tradition to give the second button of the gakuran as a souvenir to the person you've treasured the most, since position-wise that button is the closest one to the heart. The joke here is that Yuka is so popular with the girls that they were willing to settle for any button, to the point where there aren't any left.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:48 am

vonPeterhof wrote:There's a school graduation tradition to give the second button of the gakuran as a souvenir to the person you've treasured the most, since position-wise that button is the closest one to the heart. The joke here is that Yuka is so popular with the girls that they were willing to settle for any button, to the point where there aren't any left.

Thanks, I would have never guessed that!

Incidentally, I guess I spoke too soon about the Satori Reader "News" story. The first four articles were very short and boring and had poor quality annotations. However, the fifth (Local Dog and Cat Enjoy Deep Friendship) is much longer and has some good annotations.

Edit: The one after that is pretty short though.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:08 am

The big news is that I read 月王子, the short story that Yoasobi's song Haruka was adapted from. Incidentally, I was a bit embarrassed when I realized afterwards that the title was actually just 月王子, not 鈴木おさむ「月王子」like I had thought all along. I figured out that 鈴木おさむ was just the author's name.

Anyway, the story was very long, but surprisingly easy to read and follow. Much better than the last couple of "stories" I'd tried to read. It was pretty cool to read that story and then watch the Haruka music video again afterwards.

---

I also finished Haruka's podcast and started 4989 American Life for the ninth time yesterday. I spent a lot of time listening to podcasts yesterday, thanks to flying out and not having anything better to do while traveling. Unfortunately, Castbox won't track listening stats accurately, but I estimate that I spent around six hours listening to podcasts yesterday.

---

Interesting explanation of だって from Brian in the SR comments:

When だって appears at the beginning of a sentence, it means "because; after all." I would add "well, I mean..." to that list because the sense is of rebutting or rationalizing or explaining yourself. The だって comes first, then the explanation. For example:

おい、なんで僕のアイスクリームを食べたの?
Hey, how come you ate my ice cream?

だって、君は僕のケーキを食べただろう?仕返しだ!
Well, I mean, you ate my cake, right? It's payback!

Because of this sense of explaining, sometimes it feels close to the English phrase "after all." For example:

そんな高い服を買えないよ。だって、お金がないんだもん。
I can't buy such expensive clothes. I mean, I have no money. / After all, I have no money.

Another, totally different, use of だって is essentially as an informal equivalent of も. Take a look:

僕だって、ときどき気落ちするよ。
I too sometimes feel down.

猫や犬がいるよ。ワニだっている!
There are cats and dogs. There are even crocodiles!

In either of these cases, you could substitute も instead. This is how だって being used in the episode. Essentially, Yuuta's dad is saying, "Hey, you may not have thought about this, but *your dad too* is Granda's son, so (it shouldn't be a big surprise that I know about the secret)."

初めて、家に彼氏が来た時、遥がドキドキしてるの分かったよ。
あの時、僕だってめちゃくちゃドキドキしてたんだからね。

Coincidentally, 月王子 uses だって very frequently. I had to look back at the note to remember the meaning though. It seems like this is the "mo" usage.

そして水道の蛇口をひねって、僕に水を入れて、
ゆっくり飲んだんだ。

水道 is a very early word on Wanikani that I always just learned as "aquaduct". Interesting to see it in the wild and learn that it also refers to a water faucet or water sources in general.

あの悲しみから1年たって。
遥の体に、再び命が宿った。

I was under the impression 宿る just meant "to dwell/reside" and was specifically used to refer to gods and spirits residing in an area or sacred stuff like that. But apparently it also means "to be pregnant"!
3 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:47 pm

I've not been logging on much lately, so this is somewhat late now ...

golyplot wrote:This time around, I had no choice in the matter. It was impossible to copy paste the text, which meant I couldn't look things up even if I wanted to. Which also meant that I couldn't put it into Google Translate to find out what happened later either.

(1) turn your image into a PDF
(2) upload to google drive
(3) click on the file and then click on the drop down option "Open with Google Docs"
(4) copy and paste the result into something that has no idea about format (i.e. a dumb text eitor like emacs or Notepad)

The result is this:
さん、にい、いち.......。 ゼロがくれば、あなたからの電話が鳴る。そう期待して、カウントダウン。もう 何百回くり返してるだろう。子どもっぽいおまじない。
換気扇の下、センチな気分に酔って、あなたが吸っていたのと同じ銘柄の煙草に 火をつけてみる。 やっぱりというか、なれず、ハデにむせた。 肺がひりつく。 そんな自分にいらつく。 わたしの唾液がフィルターを濡らす。 煙の白い線が換気扇に飲みこまれ消えてなくなる。 まるで、あなたとの関係性のように。
太陽は真上にあった。 透度の高い、空の青さに目の奥が沁みた。それでも負けず、わたしは顎をあげ る。ひこうき雲の線がじんわり溶けはじめている。
桜並木には、祝福の声がこだましていた。満開だった。ひらひら舞いちる花びら のなか、みんな写真を撮り、ハイタッチし、はしゃいでいた。
早起きして美容室で結ってもらった黒髪。本当は買いたかったけど、お金がない から仕方なくレンタルした着物。だれかが『人生の夏休み終了!』と書いた横断幕 をもって叫んでいる。 わたしたちは美しかった。 たしかに、未来はこの手にあったんだ。 だって、あなたは照れくさそうに微笑んで、いってくれたから。 「卒業しても、俺らはなんも変わんないよ」 その言葉をわたしはしんじた。 あなたの頭皮の匂い。すこしのびた手の爪。舌の感触。朝焼けに染まったシーツ には、ふたりの形がシワとなって残っていた。確かにわたしは、あなたの言葉にう なずいた、はずだった。
2/10

Not brilliant, but largely correct (and this is with 縦書き too). Certainly good enough to pick out unknown words and look them up. It does mess up some kanji but in my experience it's accuracy rate is well over 90%
3 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:05 pm

dampingwire wrote:(1) turn your image into a PDF
(2) upload to google drive
(3) click on the file and then click on the drop down option "Open with Google Docs"
(4) copy and paste the result into something that has no idea about format (i.e. a dumb text eitor like emacs or Notepad)

Not brilliant, but largely correct (and this is with 縦書き too). Certainly good enough to pick out unknown words and look them up. It does mess up some kanji but in my experience it's accuracy rate is well over 90%

Sorry for the late response. I went on vacation for a week, and then got re-addicted to MTG and just played Magic for two days after getting back. Hopefully I can work my way through the massive Japanese review backlog and get back into the swing of things soon.

Anyway, it turns out that this is not necessary. I figured out that if you go back even further in the archive.org history, the story no longer displays as those unselectable nicely formatted pages. Instead, all the text just appears in a page of unreadable gibberish of plain black on white, but it is at least selectable. So copy and pasting it all into a new post and cleaning up the formatting a bit means we can read it like so:

さん、にぃ、いち……。
ゼロがくれば、あなたからの電話が鳴る。そう期待して、カウントダウン。もう何百回くり返してるだろう。子どもっぽいおまじない。
換気扇の下、センチな気分に酔って、あなたが吸っていたのと同じ銘柄の煙草に火をつけてみる。
やっぱりというか、なれず、ハデにむせた。
肺がひりつく。
そんな自分にいらつく。
わたしの唾液がフィルターを濡らす。
煙の白い線が換気扇に飲みこまれ消えてなくなる。
まるで、あなたとの関係性のように。

太陽は真上にあった。
透度の高い、空の青さに目の奥が沁みた。それでも負けず、わたしは顎をあげる。ひこうき雲の線がじんわり溶けはじめている。
桜並木には、祝福の声がこだましていた。満開だった。ひらひら舞いちる花びらのなか、みんな写真を撮り、ハイタッチし、はしゃいでいた。
早起きして美容室で結ってもらった黒髪。本当は買いたかったけど、お金がないから仕方なくレンタルした着物。だれかが『人生の夏休み終了!』と書いた横断幕をもって叫んでいる。
わたしたちは美しかった。
たしかに、未来はこの手にあったんだ。
だって、あなたは照れくさそうに微笑んで、いってくれたから。

「卒業しても、俺らはなんも変わんないよ」

その言葉をわたしはしんじた。
あなたの頭皮の匂い。すこしのびた手の爪。舌の感触。朝焼けに染まったシーツには、ふたりの形がシワとなって残っていた。確かにわたしは、あなたの言葉にうなずいた、はずだった。
でも、日々はどうやったって過ぎていく。
むごいほど、わたしやあなたに目もくれず、うごいていく。
過去は変わらない。
不確かなのは、今のほう。
かよっていた美大を卒業し、あなたは有名な広告代理店に、わたしはその下請けの下請けをこなす、イラストがメインの制作会社に入った。
四月を越えた先にあった現実は、ただの早起き。ただの満員電車。ただの上司からの注意。ただの残業。その「ただの」が、あなたとの時間を壊していった。描きたくもない絵を描いて、急な発注の変更に対応して、それでも結局ボツになったりして、あー、たぶんわたしはいま鬱なんだろうなとか思ったりしていたら、家からでれなくなっていた。

おもにコンビニの袋や、飲みかけのペットボトル、汁の固まったカップラーメンなんかで構成されたくらい部屋で、スマートフォンを眺める。画面に映るわたし。が、笑ってこっちを見ている。
バカみたい。
ピースして、変顔して、あなたに抱きついて。バカみたい。
もうあんな顔できない。
あんな顔して笑えない。

小雨が降っていたあの日、あなたはいった。

「なんで、こうなっちゃったんだろうな」
「わかったらこんなことなってないよ」

そういってわたしは、おかしくもないくせして笑った。でないと、泣いちゃいそうだった。わたしは笑い続けた。鼻水たらしながらバグったみたく笑うわたしを、あなたは困った顔で見ていた。なにかいいたいのに、いえない。いわない。そんな顔。で、あなたはわたしを黙らせる。

あなたは器用でずるい。会う頻度で、会話のちょっとした間で、わたしへの気持ち、その度合いを示す。
最後の言葉さえ、わたしにいわせた。
そう、わたしたちは「ただの」元・恋人。
知ってる。
わかってる。
のに、もう一度だけ会いたかった。
あんなに一緒にいたのに、部屋のどこを探してもあなたの気配はなかった。唇にできた吹き出物がシーツにこすれる。いつも寄り添ったはずのベッドにさえ、あなたの匂いは見つからない。涙がでなくて、どうしていいかわからなくて、ひたすら、枕に鼻を押しつけた。お別れの日、自分の荷物だけきれいさっぱり持っていった、几帳面なあなたを恨む。

あなたは逃げたんだ。
わたしから。
こんなダメなわたしから。

バックれた会社からの電話も鳴らなくなった。
日が暮れるとともに目を覚まし、日が昇るころに眠る生活。もうそれは日常になっていた。支えは、一応振り込まれていた先月分の安月給。寝すぎと運動不足で痛む腰をさすりながら、やっと身体を起こす。今日も部屋はくらい。炭酸のぬけたコーラで喉を潤し、伸びすぎた前髪をかきあげる。堕落。学生時代のほうがよっぽどマシだった。

ザ・廃人のできあがり。地球上で無意味な生き物ランキングが開催されたら、きっとわたしはかなり上位に食い込む。なんて、無意味な妄想にふけりながら、期待半分のカウントダウンをしてみる。
さん、にぃ、いち……。
ゼロの寸前、電話が鳴った。あなた──そう思ったが、大学の同期・ユリちゃんからだった。おめぇじゃねえよ。スマートフォンを壁に投げつけたかったが、とりあえず電話にでた。ユリちゃんは日本画で、わたしは油絵。専攻はちがったが、サークルが同じで学生のころはたまに飲んでいた。

ユリちゃんは大学卒業後も就職せず、カラオケ店でホールのバイトをしながら絵を描きつづけている。そんなユリちゃんを、内心バカにしていた。こんな先のわからない時代、才能をしんじて、夢なんか追って。どうせ咲かない花のくせして。

『あんた、仕事辞めたんだって?』

あらためて言葉にされるとけっこうダメージを食らった。だいたい、どこからその情報仕入れた? まだ親にもいってないのに。が、かろうじて踏ん張り「なに、冷やかしの電話? 性格わる」といい返す。

『ごめんごめん。そうじゃなくて、今度個展やるから来ないってお誘い』
「コテンって、あの個展?」

他になにがあんのよ、と笑われながら、場所と時間を聞いた。

『どうせずっと引き込もってんでしょ。たまには外出なよ?』

うっさいな、といい捨て、わたしは電話を切った。
またひとりになった。

化粧なんかしたの、いつぶりだろう。
以前はわりと、おしゃれは好きなほうだった。けど、イラストの制作会社に入ってからは睡眠不足とストレス、それに機械のごとく働きつづけるキモい同僚たちとの毎日にかまけて、顔はマスクで隠せばいいやという女になっていた。当然引きこもってからは、誰に見せるでもないスッピン。出がけ、鏡に映ったわたしはちょっと気合いが入り過ぎてる感じがして、化粧をやりなおした。

外にでると、久々に直で受けた日差しが痛かった。
鳥のさえずりもピーチクうざい。
街の活気にたじろぎながら、重い足をひきずり駅へと進んでいった。
ピッという自動改札の音さえわたしを威嚇してくるようだった。
何度か電車を乗りついでやっと着いたのは、代沢にあるギャラリー。外で、数人がコーヒーを飲みながら談笑している。
脇をすり抜け、ちょっと重たい扉を開いた。広くはないけど、白を基調としたシンプルな打ちっ放しの内装で清潔感のある空間。
その壁三面が、四季折々の花の画で彩られている。

まだ花ひらくまえの、桜。細いながらしっかり支える枝に、咲いていないからこその、未来への生命力にあふれた蕾たちの姿が描かれている。その隣では深い群青の花弁をたたえた紫陽花が、雨の雫に濡れ、つつましやかな美しさを放っている。夏の日の、向日葵。香りさえただよってきそうな晩秋の金木犀。冬の厳しさを耐えぬいて咲いた、梅の花。
どれもが瑞々しかった。かなり繊細な岩絵具と水と膠のバランスでないと生まれない色彩。

「来たんだ」

声をかけられるまで、自分が魅入っていたことさえ気づかなかった。ふり返ると、紺のワンピースを着たユリちゃんがにやついて立っていた。

「すごいじゃん」わたしはいった。

なんのためらいもなく、心からの感想が言葉となってこぼれる。

「へへ、そうかね」
「そうかねじゃないよ。これ、ずっと描いてたの?」
「うん」

ユリちゃんは八重歯をだして、笑った。晴れ晴れとしたその笑顔が、逆にこれらの作品にどれほど魂を注いだか、その証明のように思えた。

ほかの来場者から名前を呼ばれ、ユリちゃんは「はーい」と元気な声で答える。忙しそうだ。画集でも買ってやれたらいいけど、いまのわたしにそんな余裕はない。じゃ、といって、わたしはユリちゃんの邪魔をしないようそっと出口へむかおうとした。そのとき、腕を掴まれた。

「あんたも描いてみれば」

ユリちゃんは笑わず、まっすぐわたしを見ていった。

「あたし、あんたの描く画、わりと好きだったよ」

聞いたことのある台詞だった。
そう思ったら、あなただった。
あなたはいつだって、わたしの描いた画の最初の鑑賞者だった。

「俺、お前が描いた画、好きだよ」

いま思うとちょっと上から目線の感想だけれど、他人の作品をあまり褒めない人だったから、素直に嬉しかった。
帰り、新宿の世界堂で二十号カンバスを買った。
しずみゆく夕日がわたしの頰を真っ赤に染めた。

買ってきたカンバスを、イーゼルに立てかけた。
むきあう。まっしろの、まだなにもないカンバスに。
これは世界だ、と思う。このまっしろな世界に、わたしはなにを描くのか。しばらく、じっとしてただ見つめていた。
いまのわたしが、描くもの。描くべきもの。

「いいかい、怖かったら怖いほど、逆にそこに飛び込むんだ」

むかし、岡本太郎はそんなことをいったらしい。
あなたが自慢げに教えてくれたのが、なんか懐かしい。
しばらく押入れで眠っていた、筆の感触。
軽く、柄を握る。
パレットに広げた十二色の絵の具。
油壺からただよう溶き油の匂い。
ゆっくりと息を吐く。
目をつむる。筆先が身体の一部となっていく。
わたしは、あなたの街にいた。
無人のコインランドリーが夜道に光っていた。
直してって頼んでも、かたくなに修理しなかった洗濯機。脱ぎ捨てたふたりの衣類をポリ袋につめ込んで、わざわざここまで洗濯にかよった。

「こっちの方が、洗った感じすんだよね」という、あなたの妙ないい訳を思いだす。

商店街に、人の気配はない。
猫がどこかで啼いていたが、姿は見えない。
ヤー、ヤー、ヤー、と奇声をあげながら、あなたの自転車の後ろに乗った夏もあった。精肉店のコロッケをふたつに割って、分け合った冬もあった。スニーカーの底、わざと剥げかけたアスファルトでこすった。
どの店もシャッターは降ろされ、冷たい月がわたしを見下ろしている。繋いで歩いたあなたの手。その感触、その温度。
ずっと、こびりついて離れない。
路地を曲がる。せまい道の両脇に、アパートがひしめく通り。いつだって、雨に似た匂いが、この路地には立ち込めている。
はじめてあなたにキスされた場所だから?
目を閉じて、おそるおそる唇を寄せたあなた。を、本当はわたし、ずっと見ていた。胸がはずむようだった。つま先に力が入った。あのころのわたしはまだ、髪が長かった。
出会ったのはサークルの飲み会。
お金なんかないから、宅飲み。場所はあなたの家だった。
さんざん飲んでみんな寝静まった夜更け、床で目を覚ました。あなたは隣で眠っていて、寝がえりをうった拍子、足が触れ合った。かかとは乾燥してカサついていた。

あの、ドキドキ。
あなたの優しい寝息にも触れてみたいと思った。
だれかが酔って倒した窓際の花瓶から、水がこぼれていた。床にできた水たまり。反射した、すんだ月明かりが綺麗だった。
懐かしい街で、わたしは叫ぶ。
あなたの名前を大声で叫ぶと、返事が聴こえた。
ああ、こんな声だったな。

その声を追うように、足を進めた。いや、走った。膝を高くあげ、全力で走った。関節が擦り切れてもいま走らなきゃ、ずっと後悔する。わかりきったこと。でも、できなかったこと。
坂をのぼりきると、小高い丘にある公園が見えた。いつか遊んだジャングルジムは、砂場に切り絵のような影をつくっていた。
あなたは、ブランコに腰かけ煙草を吸っていた。
長いまつ毛を瞬かせ、「よお」という。
わたしも「よお」という。
次の瞬間、丘のむこうに広がる街々が輝きだした。
人の営みは光となってわたしとあなたを照らす──。
部屋に立てかけたカンバスには、あなたと居た街があった。
もうすぐ夜が終わる。
気づけば全身、汗で濡れていた。いやな汗じゃなかった。その場にへたり込んで、筆をパレットに置いた。
本当はずっと一緒にいて、わたしのこと全部わかってほしかった。
弱いとこ、ダメなとこ、あなたにもっといっぱい受け止めてほしかった。けれど、二十数年ずっとわたしを生きている自分がわたしのこと受け止めてきれないんだから、まぁ、無理か。

希望はなくとも、あなたがいなくても、わたしはこれからもわたしを生きていかなきゃいけない。あなたといた、恋しい日々を抱きしめて。
きっともうわたしは、カウントダウンなんかしないだろう。子どもじみたおまじないなんかに頼ることはないだろう。
すくなくとも、カンバスのなかにいる二人の風景は、ハッピーエンド。それだけでよかった。あなたからの電話の代わりに、お腹が鳴った。
もうちょっとしたら、たまには朝食でもつくろう。
そんで、お腹いっぱい食べよう。
うん。
そうしよう。

In other news, I watched Forest of Piano ep1 last night. The new transfer studen Shuuhei initially mistakes Kai for a girl, and gets surprised after hearing him speak and realizing he's a boy. I assume this is due to Kai using male speech patterns, something that doesn't really translate to English.

1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:25 am

料理が得意だという七海がケーキの制作の指揮をとることになった。

指揮 has long been a problem word on WK. But the interesting part is that even after learning it on WK, I've been misinterpreting it all this time. WK listed it as "command", and I always assumed it meant "a command" as in "order" or "instruction", but apparently it actually means "command" as in "taking charge".

「七海ー! あんまり生地のほうが上手く焼けないね」

When reading, I put confusing things into Google Translate to try to understand them, but it wasn't terribly helpful in this case. For some reason, GT just translates this as "Nanami!" and ignores the rest. Removing the name makes it translate as "the dough doesn't bake very well", which is somewhat more helpful. At least I learned that 生地 can mean "dough", not just "fabric" like I thought.

---

Forest of Piano ep3:

When Ajino talks about Mozart's "ghost", I heard "bake", rather than "yurei" like I would have expected. I first encountered bake recently in the word バケ屋敷 (haunted house), but was under the impression it was more like "goblin" than "ghost". Apparently, it means both, and seems to refer to supernatural monsters in general.

2 x

Return to “Language logs”