Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening

Postby golyplot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 am

I learned the word teiban today after hearing it on Utaco's podcast this morning and looking it up, and then noticing her use it several times in other podcast segments later on. She used it when talking about Thanksgiving traditions, as well as grocery shopping, but I was really surprised to see her apply it to rain. It doesn't seem like that fits the normal meaning, so maybe I just misheard.

I also missed 自己 on WK today, thinking it was jiki rather than jiko. I was kind of disappointed afterwards when I realized that I should have known it due to jikoshoukai. I later noticed Utaco say "jikobenkyou" as well.

I gurued 狼 this morning, the 4th new rad/kanji to be gurued. It seems like they’re coming faster now, which is ironic, since I’ve been doing badly on Wanikani lately in terms of general accuracy.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:59 am

これで完璧だ~!

I found it interesting to see 璧, since that's one of the new kanji Wanikani added this summer. I learned from WK that it meant "jade disc", but I hadn't guru'd it yet, so I haven't unlocked any words with it on WK. As it turns out, WK only has one word for it, and that is 完璧. Apparently, the kanji itself means jade disc, but this is archaic, and the only word it appears in which is commonly used means "perfect" of all things. Go figure.
0 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:40 am

golyplot wrote:これで完璧だ~!

I found it interesting to see 璧, since that's one of the new kanji Wanikani added this summer. I learned from WK that it meant "jade disc", but I hadn't guru'd it yet, so I haven't unlocked any words with it on WK. As it turns out, WK only has one word for it, and that is 完璧. Apparently, the kanji itself means jade disc, but this is archaic, and the only word it appears in which is commonly used means "perfect" of all things. Go figure.

This is a word more of a Chinese historical origin
完璧 = 完: complete + 璧: jade disc, since 璧 historically is something very valuable, a complete jade disc means something absolutely perfect
2 x

Sumisu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Japanese (B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 0c0a4beb42

Postby Sumisu » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:02 am

golyplot wrote:これで完璧だ~!

I've found this to be a good word to know, particularly in educational settings. I first heard it on a Nihongo no Mori lesson on YouTube. I then used it during an italki session, and ever since then my tutor uses it all the time, now that he knows I know it. I've also heard it used to describe a well-cooked dish. Finally, because 璧 is easily confused with 壁, I'm just going to write them both here to reinforce the difference for all who are reading this. It's nice that they've left the dot in the jewel in 璧 to make it a little easier to distinguish.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:02 am

This morning, I noticed that while talking about buying discounted chocolate after Valentine's Day, Utaco used the word hangaku a lot. Wanikani taught me that 額 meant "amount" (or "framed picture"), so it was really interesting to see it used in a context where it clearly meant "half price" rather than "half amount" like I would have expected. It's cool to see words in the real world and understand more of the nuance around them.

Speaking of which, she has said ishiki a lot in many of her videos, and I've never been able to understand it. One time she said "ishiki takai", and the standard definition of "consciousness" doesn't make much sense there. (Sadly, this was on the pre-89 episodes with no transcripts, so I can't check to try to figure out what she was saying).
Last edited by golyplot on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 am

golyplot wrote:Wanikani taught me that 額 meant "amount" (or "framed picture"), so it was really interesting to see it used in a conext where it clearly meant "half price" rather than "half amount" like I would have expected. It's cool to see words in the real world and understand more of the nuance around them.
Yeah I don't think I've ever encountered 額 being used for amounts of anything other than money.

golyplot wrote:Speaking of which, she has said ishiki a lot in many of her videos, and I've never been able to understand it. One time she said "ishiki takai", and the standard definition of "consciousness" doesn't make much sense there. (Sadly, this was on the pre-89 episodes with no transcripts, so I can't check to try to figure out what she was saying).

It usually refers to a very specific phenomenon. Yuta had a video about it.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:42 pm

I have a question about the tweet shown in the video: why do they always write "toka" instead of "to" for quoting?
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Here it's used like a somewhat softer quotation marker, like saying "they'll say something like...".
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:24 am

While watching Komi Can't Communicate ep2 tonight, I encountered an unfamiliar kanji at the end: 拗ねる
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:51 pm

私はどもりながら、「あ…、つ、筑波山に、高尾山くらいかなぁ」と答えた

Here's another unknown kanji - 筑. It looks like this is just used in a name though, so I don't have to feel bad about not knowing it.

明子は、付いて来られるだろうか?怪我でもされたら大変だな」と話し合っていた。

And here we have what appears to be yet another meaning for demo. According to SR, it means "or something". Just how many meanings can demo have?!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”