Learning Japanese from zero by listening: 2020 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening: 2020 Log

Postby golyplot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:02 pm

While browsing Tae Kim's grammar guide today, I noticed an example sentence using ちゃった (貧乏ながらも、高級なバッグを買っちゃったよ). I was surprised and figured this meant that Tae Kim must have already introduced that grammar.

I did a search and it turns out it was in fact covered on a previous page. It turns out that ちゃった is just the casual form of てしまった (te + shimau), meaning "an action that has taken place unintentionally often with unsatisfactory results".

I guess this shows how simply reading about grammar isn't enough to actually remember it. I'd already read about this grammar and still completely forgotten about it.

Incidentally, I think the English translation of the example sentence ("Even while I’m poor, I ended up buying a high quality bag."), doesn't really capture this nuance. The English version doesn't imply that the purchase was unintentional and/or unfortunate at all.
4 x

golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese

Postby golyplot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Last night, I watched A Silent Voice: The Movie. I watched it with English subtitles, so it was more for entertainment than Japanese practice. The one thing that stuck out to me most was when Shouya went to Shouko's home and saw her about to commit suicide, and still paused to take off his shoes before rushing in to save her. That little detail seemed so Japanese.

I also completed my first "fast level" on Wanikani last night. I'd been debating whether to do the fast levels at maximum speed (double the already fast pace of normal levels), but I decided to go for it. I expected that the review load on Wanikani will get pretty crushing by the end (the review piles are often exhausting already and fast levels will nearly double that), but it's only 10 weeks (9.5 now) and I figured I'll be able to manage.

I'm not sure how much I'd learn powering through (though admittedly the later levels are mostly rare kanji to begin with), but it will be nice to just get the kanji study over with so I can move on to other things. That's also the reason I didn't subscribe to Bunpro when my free trial ended a couple weeks ago. I figured that I won't have much time for non-WK stuff like that. I plan to start doing Bunpro again once I've finished level 60 on Wanikani in late December. Assuming all goes well, I'm on track to pass level 60 the morning of December 23rd, shortly before Christmas. Talk about a nice Christmas present.

Anyway, this means that following my level up last night, I unlocked 154 lessons. I've never seen the image for when you have 100+ lessons before, but I'll be seeing it a lot in the future. It only gets worse from here.

4 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 am

This evening I moved on to EC lesson 3 Basic skit.

Looking at the script, I was puzzled by the line " あーいけない!あーあ、あげすぎちゃったあ。", with the translation listed as "Oh, no! Darn! I deep-fried it too long.".

I recognized ちゃった as the grammar I discussed previously, about doing something accidentally, and figured that the すぎ must be a form of sugiru (too much). However, I didn't recognize あげ. Apparently, although it normally means to raise (上げる), it can also mean to deep fry, per Jisho. I wonder where that meaning came from.

I also wasn't sure what おいしそう meant, but after looking at the translation ("That looks delicious..."), I realized it must be oishii + sou (seeming). I guess they chop off the i in this case. I recall having a hard time back when I was doing Bunpro trying to keep straight which grammar points used which forms of the preceding words. Especially since in some cases there are distinct grammar points using the same ending word with only subtle changes in the form of the preceding word. All those sous and yous and mitais and the like get really confusing.
0 x

crush
Green Belt
Languages: :
Speak:
--English (N), Spanish, Mandarin
Study:
--Basque, Cantonese, Japanese

Postby crush » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

golyplot wrote:I also wasn't sure what おいしそう meant, but after looking at the translation ("That looks delicious..."), I realized it must be oishii + sou (seeming). I guess they chop off the i in this case. I recall having a hard time back when I was doing Bunpro trying to keep straight which grammar points used which forms of the preceding words. Especially since in some cases there are distinct grammar points using the same ending word with only subtle changes in the form of the preceding word. All those sous and yous and mitais and the like get really confusing.

I think these are the sorts of things that immersion (watching anime/whatever and reading) will help cement in your brain. They're very common. I like reading on my phone using Yomichan like a little ebook reader, later i may try using my actual ebook reader but those dictionaries are a lot slower than Yomichan (which is almost instant) so probably better off for when i rely on it much less.
1 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:57 am

I think I'm beginning to understand Japanese with Noriko better again. This morning while listening, the word kyuuhyaku jumped out at my. My thought process went roughly like this

Kyuuhyaku... ten hundreds? Maybe that's just a fancy way of saying a thousand. Wait no, she said ni sen kyuu hyaku so that can't be it. Two thousand ??? - oh it must be two thousand nine hundred.

The impressive part is that I managed to subconsciously recognize the sounds and keep them in my memory long enough to puzzle that out, despite mixing up the words for nine and ten. I think it shows how there's a long process of training subconscious sound recognition and chunking before you can get anywhere interesting.

Also, I was thinking about subscribing to Crunchyroll to watch Polar Bear Cafe since I constantly see it recommended for beginners everywhere. However, I looked at r/crunchyroll a bit and discovered that most of the subreddit is people complaining about server outages and constant buffering while streaming. Yikes! It's a shame they can't get their act together and provide a usable service. One person joked that the only reason to subscribe to Crunchyroll is so that you don't feel bad when pirating the shows.

Also, I got bored and gave up on trying to keep up with NHK News Easy today.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”