Amanda's 2020 Log: Spanish, French, and Occasionally Ancient Greek

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cmia11
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (B2)
Italian (B1)
Persian (A2)
German (A1)
Beginner in russian.

Re: Amanda's 2020 Log: Spanish, French, and Occasionally Ancient Greek

Postby cmia11 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 am

philomath wrote:Ce matin j’ai essayé de couper les cheveux de mon copain. Je ne voulais pas le faire, mais ses cheveux étaient très longs, et il ne pouvait pas aller au salon de coiffure à cause du (de la) pandémie. Donc j’ai regardé des vidéos sur comment couper les cheveux, et après notre coloc et moi avons essayé de lui couper de (les) cheveux. Au début, notre coloc a coupé court les côtés des cheveux avec un rasoir électrique. Ensuite j’ai commencé à couper le haut des cheveux avec les ciseaux. Nous étions dehors pour éviter de faire un gâchis, mais il faisais (faisait) un peu froid. Dès que j’ai commencé à couper, mes doigts sont devenus très rigides à cause du froid. Bien que je coupe souvent ma frange, je n’ai jamais coupé les cheveux d’un homme...et malheureusement, ces sont pas (ce n'est pas) pareil. À la fin ses cheveux n’avaient l’air pas bien. Il n’est pas en colère contre moi, mais je suis déçue en (de) moi-même. J’ai espéré que je ferais bien. Au moins ses cheveux ne sont pas horribles, mais je ne vais plus jamais couper les cheveux de quelqu’un.

That's sad, that was your first time so you can't expect to be perfect the first time. Anyway it was nice of you to do that, my hair is also getting too long. Good luck for the week!
2 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 13#p235313

Postby philomath » Mon May 11, 2020 12:01 am

Sunday
- Read Chapter 2 of Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego.
- Read another short story in French. This time I made cloze deletion flashcards for interesting words that I read.
- Did Lesson 30 of Pimsleur French I. I'm done with this level! :D
- Reviewed Anki flashcards.

Wow, I completed all of my language goals for this week! I'm proud of myself.

Here are my goals for next week:

Spanish
[ ] Read Chapters 3-4 of Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego.

French
[ ] Do 2 hours of listening practice.
[ ] Practice speaking twice (not counting my iTalki lesson on Saturday).
[ ] Do Chapter 4 and Chapter 21 of Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar.
[ ] Read two short stories.
[ ] Review the corrections I received on my last two iTalki notebook entries.
4 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)

Postby philomath » Mon May 11, 2020 7:12 pm

One of my biggest fears in learning French is that if I start to read too early, I'll accidentally reinforce incorrect pronunciation. The internal reading voice in my head definitely does not sound like a native speaker. What if, by continuing to read with bad pronunciation, I end up with too many fossilized pronunciation errors? I still read in Spanish with a bit of an American accent and have had to put in a lot of work to improve my pronunciation. However, with Spanish I did very little listening practice and paid very little attention to accent during my first five years of learning it in school, whereas with French I'm doing listening practice and working on my pronunciation from the beginning. This fear still lingers in my mind though, and it's probably the main reason why I haven't done more reading in French. I need to get over it and start reading more!

I don't have work today or tomorrow because I was supposed to go to North Carolina for a quick vacation. The trip is cancelled of course, but I figured it would be a nice to study French and work on the novel I'm writing. :) Today I watched the second episode of The Circle: France. I should watch reality TV in my target languages more often! I'm watching with French subtitles and I'm learning a lot of new words.

I also started Chapter 4 of Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar. Then I did some extra verb conjugation exercises on Conjuguemos. That's all for today!
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 am

philomath wrote:One of my biggest fears in learning French is that if I start to read too early, I'll accidentally reinforce incorrect pronunciation. The internal reading voice in my head definitely does not sound like a native speaker. What if, by continuing to read with bad pronunciation, I end up with too many fossilized pronunciation errors? I still read in Spanish with a bit of an American accent and have had to put in a lot of work to improve my pronunciation. However, with Spanish I did very little listening practice and paid very little attention to accent during my first five years of learning it in school, whereas with French I'm doing listening practice and working on my pronunciation from the beginning. This fear still lingers in my mind though, and it's probably the main reason why I haven't done more reading in French. I need to get over it and start reading more!

My solution to this was to start with loads of books with audio, first listening to the audio 3-4 times before even looking at the book. The idea was to build listening comprehension, but it also planted the voice of the narrator in my mind as the voice when I finally read the books for myself. I then alternated between reading the book, listening to the book and doing both together. While doing this I made little underlines below final "s" and "t" when they were pronounced, and liaison marks like they use in Assimil when words were pronounced together.

Here are a few of the better books from what I used:
A1/A2/B1 readers with CD. Most of these are rubbish, but I found I liked Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray and Enquête capitale, and I have reread and re-listened to these two books periodically. I also found a few Maigret books in easy reader + CD form, and enjoyed these a lot.

Mondes ev VF http://www.mondesenvf.fr/la-collection/ is a book series for learners with a difference: they are intended to be quality literature and for adults. They are certainly longer and seem more interesting than your average easy reader, although I've only read two of them. Pas d'Oscar pour l'assassin and Jus de chausettes by Vincent Remède. All Mondes en VF books are available as paperback or on kindle, and the audio is downloadable from their website if you have the book (it asks a question like, "What is the fourth word in chapter 4?"). Great literature? Not at all, but enjoyable enough that I was able to listen and read many times.

I cannot sing the praises of Le Petit Nicolas enough. I started with it after perhaps 18 months of French learning, and I bought the English translation as well but found that it was rubbish so I never read more than the first story in English. I began as usual by listening to the audiobook, brilliantly read by Brigitte Lecordier, listening 4 or 5 times before even cracking the text open. On the first listen, even when I had little more than a vague idea of what was happening, I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. I then slowly began to work through the stories, meanwhile still listening through the audiobook a few more times on my walks.

Since then, Nicolas has been a constant companion on my French journey, and I've read all but two of the 14 books as well as listening to the 5 audiobooks. The first is always the best, and Brigitte Lecordier was the voice of Nicolas in my head for the longest time. Benoît Poelvoorde may have become my favourite voice of Nicolas, since his narration of Les récrés du petit Nicolas is just so wonderful! [Edit, it turns out that Audible have 8 Petit Nicolas audiobooks. Also, you can hear a sample of some of the audio on this site: http://www.laplumedepaon.com/les-r%C3%A9cr%C3%A9s-du-petit-nicolas]

Now that I read "grown up" books, when choosing what to read I still prefer to read a book that has an audiobook. Two examples I've enjoyed a lot in the past year were Le chapeau de Mitterand by Antoine Lauraine and Un aller simple by Didier Van Cauwelaert. Both are available on Kindle and on Audible, and I alternated listening with reading (but in these cases not both at the same time).

Or, to make a long story short: the solution to your concern is to find a lot of audio + text that you enjoy.
6 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Tue May 12, 2020 2:32 pm

jeffers wrote:My solution to this was to start with loads of books with audio, first listening to the audio 3-4 times before even looking at the book. The idea was to build listening comprehension, but it also planted the voice of the narrator in my mind as the voice when I finally read the books for myself. I then alternated between reading the book, listening to the book and doing both together. While doing this I made little underlines below final "s" and "t" when they were pronounced, and liaison marks like they use in Assimil when words were pronounced together.

Here are a few of the better books from what I used:
A1/A2/B1 readers with CD. Most of these are rubbish, but I found I liked Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray and Enquête capitale, and I have reread and re-listened to these two books periodically. I also found a few Maigret books in easy reader + CD form, and enjoyed these a lot.

Mondes ev VF http://www.mondesenvf.fr/la-collection/ is a book series for learners with a difference: they are intended to be quality literature and for adults. They are certainly longer and seem more interesting than your average easy reader, although I've only read two of them. Pas d'Oscar pour l'assassin and Jus de chausettes by Vincent Remède. All Mondes en VF books are available as paperback or on kindle, and the audio is downloadable from their website if you have the book (it asks a question like, "What is the fourth word in chapter 4?"). Great literature? Not at all, but enjoyable enough that I was able to listen and read many times.

I cannot sing the praises of Le Petit Nicolas enough. I started with it after perhaps 18 months of French learning, and I bought the English translation as well but found that it was rubbish so I never read more than the first story in English. I began as usual by listening to the audiobook, brilliantly read by Brigitte Lecordier, listening 4 or 5 times before even cracking the text open. On the first listen, even when I had little more than a vague idea of what was happening, I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. I then slowly began to work through the stories, meanwhile still listening through the audiobook a few more times on my walks.

Since then, Nicolas has been a constant companion on my French journey, and I've read all but two of the 14 books as well as listening to the 5 audiobooks. The first is always the best, and Brigitte Lecordier was the voice of Nicolas in my head for the longest time. Benoît Poelvoorde may have become my favourite voice of Nicolas, since his narration of Les récrés du petit Nicolas is just so wonderful! [Edit, it turns out that Audible have 8 Petit Nicolas audiobooks. Also, you can hear a sample of some of the audio on this site: http://www.laplumedepaon.com/les-r%C3%A9cr%C3%A9s-du-petit-nicolas]

Now that I read "grown up" books, when choosing what to read I still prefer to read a book that has an audiobook. Two examples I've enjoyed a lot in the past year were Le chapeau de Mitterand by Antoine Lauraine and Un aller simple by Didier Van Cauwelaert. Both are available on Kindle and on Audible, and I alternated listening with reading (but in these cases not both at the same time).

Or, to make a long story short: the solution to your concern is to find a lot of audio + text that you enjoy.

Thank you for the suggestions! I don't have a CD drive (though I should probably get one sometime), so I'm glad that the Mondes en VF books come with downloadable audio. I may give in and get an Audible subscription some time because Le Petit Nicolas also looks good! :D
1 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Sun May 17, 2020 2:35 am

I don't know why, but I barely had any motivation this week. I reviewed my Anki flashcards and I had another iTalki lesson today, but besides that I haven't studied Spanish or French at all. Whenever I run out of motivation, I like to make new language goals, even if it isn't the end of the week yet. So here are my new goals from May 17 through May 24:

Spanish
[ ] Read Chapters 3-4 of Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego.

French
[ ] Do 2 hours of listening.
[ ] Practice speaking twice (not counting my iTalki lesson on Saturday).
[ ] Do Chapter 4 and Chapter 21 of Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar.
[ ] Review the corrections I received on my last two iTalki notebook entries.

So I basically made the same goals as last week, minus reading two short stories in French. However, if I start to feel extra motivated again, I'd really like to get a French audiobook so I can simultaneously listen and read. I'll probably start with French Short Stories for Beginners from Lingo Mastery, since I already have the ebook.
1 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm

I already feel much more motivated to study French. :) Today I finished Chapter 4 of Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar. This chapter was easy because it introduced common irregular verbs such as aller, faire, venir, etc., which I already know pretty well. Next, I reviewed 132 Anki flashcards. In case anyone is wondering, here is how my Anki decks are organized:

1. French
  2. French iTalki
    • 01 - 12Dec19
    • 02 - 19Dec19
    • etc.
  3. French YouTube Videos
    • Cyprien - Apprendre une langue
    • etc.
  4. Spanish

The "French" deck is just a general deck for whatever words or phrases I want to learn. The "French iTalki" collection of decks is for vocab from my iTalki lessons. And the "French YouTube Videos" collection of decks is for Subs2srs-style flashcards from different YouTube videos. My iTalki tutor actually makes these and then I download them, which is a lot easier than making them myself!

Today I also reviewed my last two iTalki notebook entries, and I wrote down the corrected sentences in my French notebook. I really need to make it a habit to review my French notebook every week!
3 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 pm

I'm really enjoying audiobooks! Yesterday I read the third chapter of Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego by listening to the Spanish audiobook while reading along. It took around 20 minutes, which wasn't too long. My only complaint about the audiobook is that the reader does really weird voices for Mr. and Mrs. Dursley. :lol: But I'm excited to keep reading this way!

I also practiced speaking French by myself for 8 minutes. Last time I practiced speaking I said I would record myself, so this time I started to. However I felt like it made me more nervous to speak, so I stopped recording. Afterward, I opened up my Google Translate search history and wrote down some of the phrases that I needed to look up while speaking. Then I wrote an iTalki notebook entry on the same topic. Yesterday was my first time attempting to drive in the city (and my first time driving in a few years!), so that was my topic of the day.

I also signed up for a free trial of Audible, which came with an audiobook of my choice. I got the audiobook for French Short Stories for Beginners, and today I listened to the first chapter while reading along. Listening to the chapter made me realize how bad my pronunciation was when I read it on my own the first time! So I'm really glad I have the audiobook now. I listened to the chapter once at regular speed and again at 0.75x speed. The shorter speed helped me pay more attention to the reader's pronunciation and the words at the same time.

I also watched another episode of The Circle: France. I like it so far! It's more interesting than the US version.
3 x

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Wed May 20, 2020 5:44 am

philomath wrote:I also signed up for a free trial of Audible, which came with an audiobook of my choice. I got the audiobook for French Short Stories for Beginners, and today I listened to the first chapter while reading along.
I also watched another episode of The Circle: France. I like it so far! It's more interesting than the US version.

Hi Amanda! Your log is really inspiring! I'm now inspired to get audible and read more french books + audiobooks too haha.
Just wanted to chip in to say i also love netflix for french learning, and I'm currently binge-watching the Circle France! Which episode are you at now? The last episode is golden HAHA, you'll understand what I mean when you get there!!
0 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Thu May 21, 2020 3:09 am

Wednesday
I haven't been doing daily Anki reviews, so today I had 189 flashcards to review. I also started doing Chapter 21 of Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar, which is about pronouns. And I listened to some French music. :) That was a bit unusual for me, as I don't listen to music very often in any language. That's all for today! I'm very tired this week.
humerusthings wrote:Hi Amanda! Your log is really inspiring! I'm now inspired to get audible and read more french books + audiobooks too haha.
Just wanted to chip in to say i also love netflix for french learning, and I'm currently binge-watching the Circle France! Which episode are you at now? The last episode is golden HAHA, you'll understand what I mean when you get there!!

Thanks, I'm glad I can inspire someone! :D I've only finished Episode 3 of The Circle: France, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm sad that there's only one season.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”