Amanda's 2020 Log: Spanish, French, and Occasionally Ancient Greek

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
philomath
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1/B2), French (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12205

Re: Amanda's 2020 Log: Spanish, French, and Occasionally Ancient Greek

Postby philomath » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 am

jackb wrote:Hi Philomath,

If you are interested, the FSI Basic course for French is available to help with the speaking part. When doing the drills, they use the kind of 'smooshing' you talk about. I end up repeating the words the way I hear them. You might too. I'm in the early stages of the course, but so far I like it.

Thanks! I think I'll check it out. I tried the FSI Basic course for Spanish a while back and it was too tedious for me, but I'm at a much lower level in French than I was in Spanish, and I could definitely use some more pronunciation training.
0 x
French Goals (Starting August 15)
: 545 / 600 Listening

French Goals (Starting October 14)
: 0 / 3000 Writing

French Goals (Starting October 17)
: 0 / 300 Grammar

philomath
Green Belt

Postby philomath » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:15 am

I don't have many updates; I've been very busy with graduate school applications lately, and I started working on a writing project that's taken up a lot of my free time. I'd like to make some progress with French this weekend though. I think I can finish my listening goal and read the rest of Le Petit Prince. Maybe I can even finish FSI French Phonology this weekend too. :)

Last week I found something amazing: a French Discord group for writers. I follow a YouTuber who makes videos in French about her writing, and she recommended it. I really like writing communities so I was extra excited to find one in my target language. I spent about an hour reading other people's introductory posts so I could write my own, trying to sound as much like a native speaker as possible. I apologized for my bad French and explained that I was still learning, but when I woke up the next day I half-expected to see a bunch of replies telling me to get out of the group if I'm not a native speaker. Instead though, a bunch of people had liked my post and welcomed me. :D Since then, I haven't posted anything else, but I've been reading lots of the messages and I think I've learned a lot of new words. It's very useful to see how native speakers message each other conversationally. When I have time this weekend, I may even make some Anki flashcards with phrases I've learned.
4 x

philomath
Green Belt

Postby philomath » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:08 pm

This morning I had another French lesson with my iTalki teacher. I was worried I wouldn’t do a good job at speaking, like last time, but I think I did fine. Even though I didn’t do much active studying last week, I did spend some time every day reading messages in the French Discord group I joined. I guess that helped me maintain my French skills. :)

Today I did Lesson 7 of the FSI French Phonology course. Part 1 was so hard, or maybe I was just too impatient to get through it. I took a break before doing Part 2, which was a lot easier. I also listened to Chapters 13-16 of Le Petit Prince while reading along. I’ve gotten tired of making flashcards for vocab in Le Petit Prince. I did however, make 27 flashcards today from phrases I learned during my iTalki lesson and phrases I saw in the French Discord group. I hope I can keep up this productivity!
2 x

philomath
Green Belt

Postby philomath » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:54 am

I did it: I finished Le Petit Prince! I'm very excited to have finished my first book in French. I think the next book I'll read is Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan. I already have the audiobook on Audible and the ebook is available on Amazon too.

I like the idea of sticking to three French goals at a time, though, and I think my next goal should be something other than reading. So this will be my next goal: Write 3,000 words in French. It doesn't matter how long it takes me to write that many words or what topics I write about, but I hope I'll learn a lot of grammar and words along the way.

There's one issue with my writing goal though: I used to post my writing on iTalki to receive corrections, but recently the website has changed. It looks like I can no longer post notebook entries except on the app, which is a pain. I don't understand why they'd take that function off of their website. :(
7 x

philomath
Green Belt

Postby philomath » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Okay, I give up on the FSI French Phonology course. I've started dreading doing the lessons, and I can't tell if they've really helped me improve my pronunciation. They were so tedious and they usually took up all of my study time for the day. I want to improve my French pronunciation, but at the end of the day, studying French is just a hobby so I don't want to do something that's no longer fun. My new goal is to study French grammar for five hours. Up until now, I haven't studied French grammar much, besides practicing verb conjugations, which is strange because I typically enjoy learning grammatical rules a lot. I think studying grammar for five hours (probably in 20- or 30-minute chunks) will be useful. I can also practice what I learn, since one of my other goals right now is to write 3,000 words.

Anyway, I've been really busy this week with graduate school applications, so tonight I'll be happy if I can just catch up on my Anki flashcard reviews. Maybe I can also finish my listening goal though. :)
4 x

Return to “Language logs”