ᑎᒃᑖᓕᒃ - Learning ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ (Inuktitut)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: ᑎᒃᑖᓕᒃ - Learning ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ (Inuktitut)

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

Studies are going well. I've been clearing my Anki deck every day. I've also been reviewing a Structure of Inuktitut lesson every day. Today I should finish reviewing the last lesson of phase 1 and tomorrow I can start phase 2!

Kreyòl Ayisyen

I am generally hearing the Kreyòl "r" as [ɣ] rather than [ʁ], so now I am thinking of it as a Spanish soft "g" rather than a French "r". I think this is helping my pronunciation.

I keep wanting to say "mwen se" instead of "mwen konnen" in places where « savoir » would be used in French, but that I believe "mwen se" would just mean "I am" in Kreyòl. Hopefully I will eliminate this habit with practice.

Other stuff

I went through the first lesson of Luath Scots and although it's very interesting, I don't think it's a good candidate for me to work on Germanic vowel length. There isn't a spot where it says out all of the vowel phonemes and says whether they're long or short, and the audio is all full-speed with no pauses which is not ideal for slow beginner imitation. These are all things I'm sure I could get around with sufficient time and motivation, but this was intended to be a side project. I think I'll leave Scots until after I have studied RP, which will be some time in the future.

Créole haïtien de poche would be the local choice, but I might save it for later because I've gotten interested in Navajo verb morphology in comparison to Inuktitut. Although they are both polysynthetic languages, they are radically different. I started reading The Navajo Verb again. I read the introduction and first chapter. I think I've read the first five or so chapters before. If I can get though this book, it will make learning Navajo much easier if I decide to go full time on it in the future.

I am not scheduled to finish Pimsleur Haitian Creole for another five weeks, but I am already thinking about what I will do next. I briefly considered doing Pimsleur Ojibwe, but that doesn't have a monthly subscription available so it would be prohibitively expensive, and anyway I don't think it would be satisfying to study the audio only, since I don't know a related language and I'd be compelled to study the grammar.

I think the most logical candidate would be Levantine Arabic. It isn't a written language so I could get away with audio only, and I know a bit of Modern and Biblical Hebrew so the grammar wouldn't be completely alien to me. There is a nice FSI Levantine Arabic Phonology course (actually it seems to be pretty much MSA Phonology, I don't know why they call it Levantine), which I've gotten about half-way through, and then there's a three-level Pimsleur course which does have a monthly subscription available. That should get me to a reasonable conversational level (albeit with a limited vocabulary), and I think that should make my Biblical Hebrew pronunciation much more natural, since Levantine Arabic retains some Semitic sounds that Modern Hebrew has lost.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Postby overscore » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 pm

About the "vin".

https://forvo.com/word/vin/#fr

User "Newdelly" has the "traditional" pronounciation.

User "Clador06" the "new parisian" one.

and User "Silveroo" sounds like me, speaker from Canada.
3 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:55 pm

I took a few days off from language learning because I got sucked into working on another phonemic alphabet for English (this one has a ton of spelling rules and looks much more like standard English). But yesterday I was able to get a lot of work done on ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ.

Kreyòl ayisyen

Not much to report. I'm a quarter of the way through Pimsleur. Haven't worked on Créole haïtien du poche since the last post.

Diné Bizaad

I've been rereading The Navajo Verb. I'm doing fine so far because it's review, but I'll see if I can still keep it up once I get to uncharted territory. I may need to just read while I'm taking a break from Inuktitut to let a new concept sink in.

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

I cleared out most of my Anki deck, reviewed unit 1 chapter 6 of Structure of Inuktitut and went through most of unit 2 chapter 1! I'm looking forward to learning how to produce sentences with a specific direct object but I'll need to wait until chapter 4 for that.

Possessive endings

Chapter 1 deals with possessive noun endings. Hebrew (especially Biblical Hebrew) has this feature too, but Inuktitut possessive endings are like Hebrew on crack.

Hebrew nouns have no cases (although there is an accusative particle for specific nouns) and can be singular or plural with limited use of dual; possessives inflect for number and person of the owner(s).

Inuktitut nouns have eight cases with full use of a dual number, and if the subject of a verb is in the third person, then a related noun can inflect for the third person (owner is the same as the subject of the verb) or fourth person (owner is the different from the subject of the verb).

For example, the English sentence "she is sleeping in her house" could be translated into Inuktitut in two different ways:
  • ᐃᒡᓗᒥᓂ ᓯᓂᑐᖅ (iglumini siniktuq) - she's sleeping in her own house.
  • ᐃᒡᓗᖓᓂ ᓯᓂᒃᑐᖅ (iglungani siniktuq) - she's sleeping in someone else's house
Note that Inuktitut doesn't have gendered pronouns or inflections so it could just as easily be "he slept in his house".

If the subject of the verb is not third person, you just use the nga possessive ending, so "I'm sleeping in her house" would be ᐃᒡᓗᖓᓂ ᓯᓂᒃᑐᖓ (iglungani siniktunga).

Kinship terms

I learned some new kinship terms from the new chapter. In particular, the words for brother and sister work quite differently than the English words:
  • ᐊᖓᔪ (angaju) - an older sibling of the same gender
  • ᓄᑲᖅ (nukaq) - a younger sibling of the same gender.
  • ᐊᓂ (ani) - brother of a female
  • ᓇᔭᒃ (najak) - sister of a male
This reminds me a bit of Indonesian which also has separate terms for older and younger siblings.

I also learned a couple of cool kinship terms when looking at a dictionary. The words for daughter is ᐸᓂᒃ (panik). The dual form should be ᐸᓃᒃ (paniik). But if you add the suffix "gi" before the dual ending, you get ᐸᓂᒌᒃ (panigiik), meaning a mother and daughter, or a mother-daughter relationship. Equivalent forms exist for other kinship words.

Gemination

The last part of the chapter was a bit overwhelming so I skipped the exercises. I'll go back and do them later. It showed the first and second person singular pronouns, and all of the possible possessive endings that can go on them. This course will normally show the North and South Baffin pronunciation (and sometimes East Baffin if there's a difference). But this section introduced a fourth dialect, ᐊᐃᕕᓕᖕᒥᐅᑐᑦ (Aivilingmiutut). ᐊᐃᕕᓕᒃ (Aivilik) is a district of Nunavut that is located on mainland Canada to the southwest of Baffin Island. The name means something like "Walrusshire".

The reason is that in ᐊᐃᕕᓕᖕᒥᐅᑐᑦ (Aivilingmiutut) was used is gemination. In South Baffin, any two consecutive consonants must be from the same part of the mouth (except that uvulars are usually unrestricted). If an illegal combination occurs, the first consonant is deleted and the second consonant is doubled, so the famous North Baffin word for house, ᐃᒡᓗ (iglu), becomes ᐃᓪᓗ (illu) in South Baffin.

However, North Baffin will still geminate t-type and p-type consonants that come together, so if you if you add the second person interrogative suffix ᐱᑦ (pit) to the verb root ᑎᑭᑦ (tikit), you don't get ᑎᑭᑦᐱᑦ (tikitpit), but rather ᑎᑭᑉᐱᑦ (tikippit).

The problem is that when you add a possessive ending to the first person and second person pronouns, the endings will geminate in North Baffin depending on what ending is added, and the original final consonant of the root will be obscured.

That's why they demonstrated the chart in ᐊᐃᕕᓕᖕᒥᐅᑐᑦ (Aivilingmiutut) instead of one of the usual Baffin dialects, because it has no consonant placement restrictions so there is no gemination and no information is lost. If you know the unobscured ᐊᐃᕕᓕᖕᒥᐅᑐᑦ form, you should be able to derive the Baffin forms by applying gemination in the right spots.
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Kreòl Ayisyen

Many older Pimsleur courses have an infamous sexual harassment dialog at the end of lesson 9. This has been removed from many of the newer courses, but I guess the Haitian Creole course hasn't been updated in a while because there it was when I did lesson 9 yesterday, so I skipped over it as I usually do. Today I finished lesson 10, so I'm officially a third of the way done with the course!

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

Fun fact

I recently learned that Inuit tents are secured by placing rocks on the cloth or skin of the tent. I believe this is because stakes can't be used on the permafrost. Here's a cool old-timey picture I found of a ᑐᐱᖅ (tupiq, meaning 'tent'):

The first line of syllabics is ᐃᒐᕐᔪᐊᕐᒥ (igarjuarmi) which means "at Igarjuaq". I believe "Igarjuaq" means "big fireplace" and must be the Inuktitut name of the mountain.

The second line of syllabics is ᐋᒃᑑᐸ (aaktuupa) which is simply the English loanword "October".

Some tricky sounds

The letters 'g' and 'j' each have two pronunciations, one hard and one soft:
  • Hard (when doubled, in a consonant clusters, or at the beginning of a word; only loanwords begin with these letters)
    • g: [g] (as in 'golf')
    • j: [dʒ] (as in 'Juliet') or [ɟʝ] (the Hungarian 'gy' as in 'Magyar', or the hard version of the Spanish 'll')
  • Soft (between two vowels):
    • g: [ɣ] (like the soft 'g' in the Spanish word 'agua')
    • j: [j] (like the English word 'yes' or the German word 'Jäger')
Progress

I went over the first and second person pronoun endings and possessive endings a third time today, and I think they are finally sinking in! But now I have forgotten the third and fourth person endings, so I think I will need to go back and do all of lesson 1 before I can move on to lesson 2.

I'm looking forward to lesson 2 which goes over 'becausatives' and conditionals. 'Becausative' is Mick Mallon's punny term for a subordinate clause that would be translated into English as a phrase using the word 'because', but in Inuktitut the entire clause can be one word.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Kreyòl Ayisyen

I bought the Pimsleur course outright because no subscription service exists for it, so I am flexible to drop it and pick it back up later. So I have decided to switch to Levantine Arabic for the moment, and then I will get back to Haitian Creole after I am done with it.

Levantine Arabic

I have gotten started with Levantine Arabic in the past but I didn't get very far because I think I changed my plans to something that used up my "commuting" time slot. That shouldn't happen now because neither my current project (ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ) nor my next planned project (Biblical Hebrew) use that slot.

I have previously finished around half of the FSI Levantine Arabic Phonology course and also did a couple lessons of Pimsleur Eastern Arabic. My goal is to finish both of these resources (it should take around six months give or take), and then get back to Haitian Creole.

I am also trying to learn the Arabic alphabet using Maha's six-episode series. I'm planning on going through an episode a day.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IbSAXLzrly

The names seem fairly easy to remember, because they seem to be either the consonant plus āʾ(that's a long 'a' plus a glottal stop) or a name that is similar or identical to Hebrew. So far I have learned tāʾ, thāʾ, bāʾ, yāʾ, and nūn. The name nūn is exactly the same as the corresponding Hebrew letter נ, although Modern Hebrew doesn't follow the old system of phonemic length so now it's just 'nun'.

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

It looks like Wikipedia was wrong about something! The article on Inuit grammar says that specific verbs in Inuktitut inflect for only the person, but not the number, of both the subject and the object. But this is not true. I found a whole bunch of tables for the full set of double-person suffixes for any number (singular, dual, or plural) of both the subject and the object, which you can find here. I think that the article's author was working with a text that didn't show all the forms for different numbers, so they assumed that specific verbs don't inflect for number which is false.

I keep doing Phase 2 Lesson 1 over and over but it wasn't sinking in. I tried writing out the full possessive charts (singular possessor only because that's what's covered) for nouns ending in a vowel, a k, or a q: ᐃᒡᓗ (iglu), ᐃᓄᒃ (inuk), and ᖃᔭᒃ qajaq:
ᐃᒡᓗ1233 same
øᐃᒡᓗᒐᐃᒡᓗᐃᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᐃᒡᓗᓂ
ᐅᑉᐃᒡᓗᒪᐃᒡᓗᐱᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᑕᐃᒡᓗᒥ
ᒥᒃᐃᒡᓗᓐᓂᒃᐃᒡᓗᖕᓂᒃᐃᒡᓗᖓᓂᒃᐃᒡᓗᒥᓂᒃ
ᐃᒡᓗᓐᓂᐃᒡᓗᖕᓂᐃᒡᓗᖓᓂᐃᒡᓗᒥᓂ
ᒥᑦᐃᒡᓗᓐᓂᑦᐃᒡᓗᖕᓂᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᓂᑦᐃᒡᓗᒥᓂᑦ
ᒧᑦᐃᒡᓗᓐᓄᑦᐃᒡᓗᖕᓄᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᓄᑦᐃᒡᓗᒥᓄᑦ
ᒃᑯᑦᐃᒡᓗᒃᑯᑦᐃᒡᓗᒃᑯᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᒍᑦᐃᒡᓗᒥᒍᑦ
ᑐᑦᐃᒡᓗᑦᑐᑦᐃᒡᓗᒃᑐᑦᐃᒡᓗᖓᑐᑦᐃᒡᓗᒥᑐᑦ

ᐃᓄᒃ1233 same
øᐃᓄᒐᐃᓄᐃᑦᐃᓄᖓᐃᓄᓂ
ᐅᑉᐃᓄᖕᒪᐃᓄᒃᐱᑦᐃᓄᖓᑕᐃᓄᖕᒥ
ᒥᒃᐃᓄᓐᓂᒃᐃᓄᖕᓂᒃᐃᓄᖓᓂᒃᐃᓄᖕᒥᓂᒃ
ᐃᓄᓐᓂᐃᓄᖕᓂᐃᓄᖓᓂᐃᓄᖕᒥᓂ
ᒥᑦᐃᓄᓐᓂᑦᐃᓄᖕᓂᑦᐃᓄᖓᓂᑦᐃᓄᖕᒥᓂᑦ
ᒧᑦᐃᓄᓐᓄᑦᐃᓄᖕᓄᑦᐃᓄᖓᓄᑦᐃᓄᖕᒥᓄᑦ
ᒃᑯᑦᐃᓄᒃᑯᑦᐃᓄᒃᑯᑦᐃᓄᖓᒍᑦᐃᓄᖕᒥᒍᑦ
ᑐᑦᐃᓄᑦᑐᑦᐃᓄᒃᑐᑦᐃᓄᖓᑐᑦᐃᓄᖕᒥᑐᑦ

ᖃᔭᒃ1233 same
øᖃᔭᕋᖃᔭᐃᑦᖃᔭᖓᖃᔭᓂ
ᐅᑉᖃᔭᕐᒪᖃᔭᖅᐱᑦᖃᔭᖓᑕᖃᔭᕐᒥ
ᒥᒃᖃᔭᓐᓂᒃᖃᔭᕐᓂᒃᖃᔭᖓᓂᒃᖃᔭᕐᒥᓂᒃ
ᖃᔭᓐᓂᖃᔭᕐᓂᖃᔭᖓᓂᖃᔭᕐᒥᓂ
ᒥᑦᖃᔭᓐᓂᑦᖃᔭᕐᓂᑦᖃᔭᖓᓂᑦᖃᔭᕐᒥᓂᑦ
ᒧᑦᖃᔭᓐᓄᑦᖃᔭᕐᓄᑦᖃᔭᖓᓄᑦᖃᔭᕐᒥᓄᑦ
ᒃᑯᑦᖃᔭᒃᑯᑦᖃᔭᒃᑯᑦᖃᔭᖓᒍᑦᖃᔭᕐᒥᒍᑦ
ᑐᑦᖃᔭᑦᑐᑦᖃᔭᖅᑐᑦᖃᔭᖓᑐᑦᖃᔭᕐᒥᑐᑦ

Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes! The columns are for each of the four person options for the possessor, and the rows are for each of the eight case ending. The ø symbol means no ending, it doesn't mean we suddenly switch to Danish. It represents the nominative case when used with a non-specific verb and the absolutive case when used with a specific verb. The suffix ᐅᑉ (up) is the genitive case when used for a non-specific verb or the ergative case when used with a specific verb.

I also started lesson 2 but didn't get very far. It seems interesting and works very similarly to how possessives work, including the distinction of whether a third person inflection is the same or different as the head verb.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Arabic

I'm half-way through learning the alphabet! It's much easier than I thought it would be. It looks so intimidating. But I think I should have have my head wrapped around it within a week. It's a very beautiful and elegant script and it conserves 28 of the 29 original Semitic consonant phonemes (although of course they aren't all pronounced the same as they would have been in proto-Semitic). The two that merged are *s and *š, but those two sounds were not merged in Hebrew. *s is spelled with the letter ס and *š is spelled with the letter ש. So if you know Hebrew and Modern Standard Arabic and you know that a word is a cognate between the two languages, you can probably guess what the original proto-Semitic consonants were!

Arabic has very similar letters for similar and/or historically related sounds. For instance, Ancient Hebrew had 25 of the 29 original Semitic consonants, but the alphabet only had 22 letters because several sounds had merged in other Canaanite languages such as Phoenician. So three Hebrew letters performed double duty: ש,‎ ח,‎ and ע. Sure enough, the Arabic letters that correspond to the two historical sounds of ח, /ħ/ and /x/, are identical except for a dot. And so are the Arabic letters that correspond to the two historical sounds of ע, /ʕ/ and /ɣ/.

The Modern Hebrew script looks clunky and dorky in comparison to Arabic. I vote to bring back the Phoenician/Paleo-Hebrew alphabet. It looks awesome, has a one-to-one letter correspondence with the Modern Hebrew alphabet so nobody would need to relearn the spelling, and it would come with bragging rights for oldest unmodified writing system in use today.

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

Writing out the tables for the singular possessive noun endings is helping a lot. It feels very soothing to write out tables. Flash cards are the complete opposite. I don't know why, but it makes me nervous to go over my Anki decks. If I did half an hour a day I could be in great shape with multiple decks, but instead I keep falling behind and forgetting words because I don't get to reviews in time for the spaced repetition to work.

Instead of spending that time reviewing my vocabulary, I am glued to the news and Reddit. And I'm not on my personal Reddit feed which I personally curated to give me interesting updates including news and memes in many of the languages I've studied, but on the "popular" feed which is designed to make me angry and afraid and keep clicking. I really should stop doing that but I can't help myself. I've deleted Reddit in the past and it's been very helpful. Maybe it's time to do that again.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:56 pm

ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

It's been a crazy couple of days, but today was very productive. I mostly stayed off of Reddit and didn't touch the "popular" feed, so not only am I feeling less anxious but I was able to not only clear out my Anki deck for Structure of Inuktitut, but start reviewing my older deck for Inuktitut the Hard Way.

עברית

If I'm able to keep up my good progress with my ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ Anki decks, I'd also like to start maintaining my Biblical Hebrew decks again.

I have no idea how long I want to keep up Inuktitut. Maybe another month or two, maybe many months. I wouldn't want to get rid of the momentum and progress I have for no reason, and it's a stretch but maybe I could actually get ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ up to a fairly permanent useable level. But in any case, I'm considering my Biblical Hebrew project to be on standby and once I lose steam and start stalling out with ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ I'm planning on returning to it.

The amount of time it will take me to get to a level of Biblical Hebrew I'm happy with is imposing. Maybe a year, maybe two. But once I do have it up to a high level, I should be able to make very quick work of Modern Hebrew, so that's a big plus.

Levantine Arabic

I lost a couple of days, but today I reviewed the first three videos about the Arabic alphabet and also completed the fourth, so I only have two to go. I also watched a separate video about the feminine marker, which seems to be like a hāʾ but with two dots above it. It isn't pronounced but the previous consonant gets an 'a' vowel. Hebrew has a very similar system where a word with a feminine ending doesn't have its own special letter, but it does get a silent ה (he) at the end, and the previous consonant gets not a short 'a' like in Arabic, but a long 'a', which in Tiberian Hebrew was pronounced /ɔ:/ as in the English word "awe" (particularly when spoken with a British accent).

When I'm done learning to read and hand-write Arabic at the end of the video series, I want to learn how to type in Arabic and possibly do some of the Duolingo course. I don't want to start getting into Modern Standard Arabic because that will be another project for another time, but I think I'll at least do the writing and pronunciation lessons.

Once I can type in Arabic I'll stop writing the heading in English!
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Lolindir
Languages: Spanish, English.

Postby Lolindir » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:55 am

Hello! I've given a task in a course. And it's just an image. I've spent several hours trying to guess what it was. And then luck hit.

I think it might be Inuktitut, but im not sure about the first letter. Could you help me please? What does it mean?

This has aroused my curiosity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Lolindir wrote:Hello! I've given a task in a course. And it's just an image. I've spent several hours trying to guess what it was. And then luck hit.

I think it might be Inuktitut, but im not sure about the first letter. Could you help me please? What does it mean?

This has aroused my curiosity.

That sounds like an interesting course, what's it about?

You're on the right track because those are Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics which is a writing system that Inuktitut uses, but this writing is not Inuktitut and that first symbol is not used in Inuktitut, and neither is the quotation-mark-looking symbol ᐦ. My best guess would be Ojibwe or Eastern Cree, I couldn't say which.

The message appears to be:

ᔖᔥ ᓰᑯᓐ, ᐃᔫ ᒥᔻᔨᐦᑎᒻ ᐋ

For more information see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... _syllabics
https://omniglot.com/writing/cree.htm
https://omniglot.com/writing/ojibwe.htm

Let me know if you figure out what the language is and what it means!

Edit: Okay, I figured it out. It is Eastern Cree. You should be able to look up the individual words in this dictionary: https://dictionary.eastcree.org/words

I don't know how the grammar of the language works, but based on a word-by-word translation it may mean something like:

It's already spring, does he/she say he/she likes it?

or

It's already spring, does he/she say he/she is happy?

The transliteration is: Shaash siikun, iyuu miywaayihtim aa
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Lolindir
Languages: Spanish, English.

Postby Lolindir » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help. I will work on it and let you know when I come to something more. Its a course about modern languages in danger and a bit of cryptography with it.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”