Tagalog + Swedish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: ABATT (All Basque All The Time) + MIA (Japanese)

Postby eido » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:51 pm

crush wrote:First off, thanks for the suggestions. Black Butler seems like something i might be able to understand but is probably more on the difficult side. The anime about the maid cafe seems more along what I can follow, but not sure that it's something I'd enjoy. It may have just enough "seriousness" in it for me to enjoy it, though. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya one sounds like something that would be interesting but again probably out of my comfort range. Hetalia also might be interesting, I'm not sure, I'll see if I can find it and watch an episode or two to see.

I started watching anime at the same time i started learning Japanese (since last August). I haven't read much manga, I tried but it didn't do much for me, so I've been reading translated books i'm familiar with for now.

Sure thing. I'm only recommending things I've enjoyed in the past hoping something will stick.

Black Butler is a bit complicated because it deals with the underworld and English politics. You have words for specialized teas, weapons, etc. popping up all the time. But forever ingrained in my mind is "jou-heika," (excuse my poor romanization skills) meaning "highness" or "Her majesty." The beauty of repetition, my bro! If you get a chance, read the manga up to where the unofficial "season three" (Book of Circus) kicks off and save yourself the troublesome mess that is the first two seasons, where all sorts of different producers mashed things together like a pre-school art project. (I say this, but I still love those adaptions... which side of me do you want to believe? ;))

Maid-sama is a slice-of-life that I enjoyed in 2010 as an 8th grader, but it may not have aged well. It certainly had its moments for me as a younger girl looking for a character to understand from another culture, and Misaki was a good mold since up to that point I'd only seen timid Japanese girls.

Touching on what @golyplot said, I don't think Mikuru is as helpless as she'd have you believe. Yes, Haruhi's behavior is appalling in many ways, but some episodes in the series prove that she doesn't just take it like a rag doll. She has her reasons, and at the time I first watched it and again when I re-watched a bit of it this past year, it all seemed to make sense. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, though, so I'll stop there. If you should have any questions regarding my opinion, just ask. (Also, watch out for the "endless eight"! Yeek!)

Hetalia is fun, and the episodes are just long enough so you don't get bored. There are a lot of clips of the anime on YouTube not only from passionate fans but from the company that officially licensed it in America, Funimation. My favorite character is Iceland.

Some other ones I might recommend:

Wolf's Rain (ウルフズレイン): Old but gold. This series follows a set of "humans" in a post-apocalyptic world on the search for a better life. In reality, these people are wolves that have two forms and they are considered dangerous by the government, enough to be pursued by hunters. Danger lies in every corner where a peaceful world once stood. Maybe the flower they search for can help them resurrect what was lost.

Nura! Rise of the Yokai Clan (ぬらりひょんの孫): This one's about a person with two forms as well. He remains in human form during the day, but reveals his demon form at night. He's the young heir to a yokai (demon) clan, and this is his adventures as far as becoming mature and fighting off his enemies.

Durarara!! (デュラララ!!): Oh man, oh man. This is a good one. Action-packed, serious, comedic. It even includes a headless woman! This anime has at least a dozen (to me, interesting) characters with interconnected plots, and it constantly leaves you guessing where the lines it's laid will lead.

Baccano! (バッカーノ!): By the same author as above, with many of the same conceits, only this time we're fighting over immortality (thanks to a drink) and homunculi.

Soul Eater (ソウルイーター): Typical shounen anime about a school for supernatural creatures, including grim reapers (ahem, Death the Kid). More collecting souls!

Anohana (あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない): This one's on Netflix, I believe! It covers death, recovery from loss, friendship, and making amends. Its genre is slice-of-life.

Summer Wars (サマーウォーズ) [movie]: Basically a commentary on technology in the modern era, but when I watched it about 8 years ago, it didn't feel forced or too "back in '33, we didn't have no technology like you darn kids..." and I was 15. If my stamp of approval counts for anything, go 'head and have it.
4 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 am

eido wrote:Anohana (あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない): This one's on Netflix, I believe! It covers death, recovery from loss, friendship, and making amends. Its genre is slice-of-life.

Ha, I just realized that "anohana" is literally just the romanization of "that flower". I thought it was a name at first. I've heard about that series under the English title of "Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day".

P.S. I've heard all about The Endless Eight. In fact, I watched the first out of morbid curiosity. I considered watching more, but decided I had better things to do.

P.P.S. It's a movie rather than a show, but I enjoyed A Whisker Away (on Netflix). I watched it with English subtitles though.
4 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:27 am

golyplot wrote:here are some anime on Netflix that I've liked.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online (better than the original Sword Art Online, IMO)
Cardcaptor Sakura
BNA: Brand New Animal

Unfortunately only one of those three are in the Australian Netflix catalogue, that being BNA.

But thankfully Crunchyroll has all three and doesn't restrict access to Australians.
2 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 am

golyplot wrote:So first off, I disagree on the whole fantasy shows being harder to understand thing. At worst they might use some different vocab. That being said, the shows I mentioned aren't all that fantastical to begin with. SAO Alt is centered around virtual gun battles, so there's a lot of gun related terminology, but that's it. And BNA is basically just set in the modern world except some people can turn into animals and have superpowers. It's not like a fantasy fantasy series where everyone is going on about halberds and reeves and crofters or whatnot (or whatever the Japanese equivalents are).

I definitely identify with the "putting off shows you're interested in" thing as well. I've deliberately avoiding watching Aggretsuko for example for similar reasons.

Hmm... alright, i may give SAO a try then. BNA sounded like something i'd actually enjoy watching so i'll see how SAO goes and decide whether to postpone that one or go on to it. I just checked the Difficulty Level Guide of Everything Japanese and they put it at an intermediate level. It's definitely beyond my 90% comprehension range but probably not too far off from what i have generally been watching.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 am

golyplot wrote:P.P.S. It's a movie rather than a show, but I enjoyed A Whisker Away (on Netflix). I watched it with English subtitles though.

I recently watched that one as well. I thought it was going to be one of those really strange movies but about halfway through i started to really enjoy it. It wasn't too difficult to follow, either.

eido wrote:Sure thing. I'm only recommending things I've enjoyed in the past hoping something will stick.

Thanks again! Maid-sama seems like it has potential, i'll give it a shot. I've also "listened" through Anohana as background/passive listening before (when i first started i'd go to Animelon and just pick a random slice of life show for background listening while working) and had completely forgotten about it. I'll go back and give it another shot, and this time actually watch it. I've written some of the other shows you listed down as well, not sure how they'll fare as far as my comprehension, a few do seem like things i'd enjoy if i actually understood what the characters were saying at least :D
1 x

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:12 pm

ryanheise wrote:Unfortunately only one of those three are in the Australian Netflix catalogue, that being BNA.

But thankfully Crunchyroll has all three and doesn't restrict access to Australians.

Ah, yes. My apologies. I was a bit US-centric in my reply as well. I just assumed everyone in the thread was from the US, but I honestly didn't know. However, as you say, thank God for Crunchyroll! It's a good site for for varied content.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm

eido wrote:Ah, yes. My apologies. I was a bit US-centric in my reply as well. I just assumed everyone in the thread was from the US, but I honestly didn't know. However, as you say, thank God for Crunchyroll! It's a good site for for varied content.

That and it's not easy to know what is in Netflix's catalog where. All I can see is what they have here in the US.

crush wrote:Hmm... alright, i may give SAO a try then. BNA sounded like something i'd actually enjoy watching so i'll see how SAO goes and decide whether to postpone that one or go on to it.

Keep in mind that I'm specifically recommending Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online, which is a spinoff series set in the same universe, but with a different author, a different style, and all new characters. Personally, I think it's better than the main SAO series, but you're free to watch both.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:29 pm

golyplot wrote:That and it's not easy to know what is in Netflix's catalog where. All I can see is what they have here in the US.

Again, my apologies. In my mind I was thinking, "This is in the US catalog" but that didn't come out in the post. I found a website that seems to deliver on that request, but just from cursory looking, I can't tell anything about its true quality. I'll try to be more careful in my editing of posts next time.
0 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:22 pm

eido wrote:
ryanheise wrote:Unfortunately only one of those three are in the Australian Netflix catalogue, that being BNA.

Ah, yes. My apologies. I was a bit US-centric in my reply as well. I just assumed everyone in the thread was from the US, but I honestly didn't know. However, as you say, thank God for Crunchyroll! It's a good site for for varied content.

No need to apologise! I didn't mean anything by it other than to say I was interested in these recommendations but unfortunately I wasn't able to find them, and I also wanted to share that alternative site which may be helpful to anyone else who has the same issue in their country. (Certainly I intended no other implications about what country you are from. I didn't know you were from the US, and I actually had assumed we were all likely from different countries, and so from that perspective, I was just chipping in with my own experience from my own country.)
3 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm

btw both Anohana and A Whisker Away were written by Mari Okada, one of the most prolific anime screenwriters. Anohana in particular is one of her most personal works. If you're interested in anime in a similar vein I'd recommend the movies The Anthem of the Heart (心が叫びたがってるんだ。) and Her Blue Sky (空の青さを知る人よ), both made by the team behind Anohana, as well as the series O Maidens in Your Savage Season (荒ぶる季節の乙女どもよ。), an adaptation of a manga also written by Okada.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”