Vogeltje (wise owl chick, jar-ptitsa, kuikentje) log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Peluche
Orange Belt

Re: Vogeltje (wise owl chick, jar-ptitsa, kuikentje) log

Postby Peluche » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:58 pm

1e4e6 wrote: I really, really want to see how you can tell 29 million people that they do not deserve healthcare.

To every person in the world, I would state that life owes them squat.

I looked into the 29 million number you keep reporting.
Turns out 5 million are illegal immigrants.
http://kdvr.com/2016/05/12/why-are-29m- ... insurance/

Then there is the chunk who could get insurance, but just doesn't know it.
And finally the chunk which says it is too expensive. I'd like to look into the finances of these people. Whether they have iphones and cell contracts. Cable subscriptions. Whether they eat out. Whether their residence has a separate room for each person.

And before you say that I don't know how it is to be poor in America, I was actually below the poverty line for a couple of years in the US. I was still managing to save money by scrimping on everything.

Why doesn't your mom have insurance? How expensive would it be?
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:27 pm

1e4e6 wrote:It is wrong and disingenuous to hint that "taxpayers" bear the burden, whereas the taxpayers also bear the benefit. I am a taxpayer, my mother is a taxpayer, why the hell would we not want to pay taxes into a pool and have it a service like the fire brigade, the rubbish collection service, the police, etc.? This is a cornerstone of a civil, developed nation. The point of paying taxes to the health system is so that people do not end up like the USA where almost 10% of the population lack health insurance. I really, really want to see how you can tell 29 million people that they do not deserve healthcare. Did you know that the USA spend the most on healthcare yet get the least services back compared to all developed nations? Yet their healthcare is private in the USA. Pay the most, receive the least. Yeah, that sounds good.

The problem is not that the taxpayers bear the burden of paying. The problem is they do not have much say in how is the money spent and no government is as efficient as people spending their own money. They pay the taxes but the government decides how much actually goes into healthcare. All the insurance companies around here are so regulated there is no real free choice, you get the same treatment everywhere and sometimes it means the same crap for everyone. I am not saying people shouldn't have access to some basic care but I'd say not having an insurance is quite an irresponsible life choice. We've got the other extreme here, people feel so well covered by "insurance" (=the health tax) that they live irresponsibly and don't realize their absolutely unnecessary and self-inflicted myocard infarcts are wasting money that should have been given to innocent patients. And don't forget that working in healthcare in most european countries is the closest thing to slavery those countries know, that is another part of the awesome "free" healthcare.

Yes, we are unlikely to agree and I'll be happy to continue elsewhere (hopefully, we will finally get to arguing in Spanish, as of from our next PM) but I am not sure whether this is where vogeltje wants their log to continue.
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Cavesa wrote:

I am not sure whether this is where vogeltje wants their log to continue.

I don't mind, it's ok, my log is for the conversations. I have liked all your posts and I will read them soon.

"their log" = I'm a girl.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:00 am

Let's have more productive conversations.

On chocolates, what makes a chocolate good quality? I get 50% chocolate here, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, lecithin for 5 eur/Kg. 70% is more. I've tried higher priced chocolates (like 10eur/Kg), but I didn't find a difference.
PGPR should be banned in chocolates though.
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:28 am

Gemuse wrote:Let's have more productive conversations.

On chocolates, what makes a chocolate good quality? I get 50% chocolate here, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, lecithin for 5 eur/Kg. 70% is more. I've tried higher priced chocolates (like 10eur/Kg), but I didn't find a difference.
PGPR should be banned in chocolates though.

Please don't worry, the conversation was fine.

I don't mind what we discuss, and health insurnace is extremley important. Chocolate is important too haha. I'm just a bit slow with the reading of long posts.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 am

Iversen wrote:
vogeltje wrote:But English food is nice, I love the Thai food here and other ones as well.

I got the joke! But what about the English English food?

haha, I didn't write it as a joke, but I can see what you mean :)

We've eaten Thai this evening and I think that it's my favourite food.

Some English english food is nice, for example the cakes and puddings. I hate baked beans they are disgusting yuck. Cheddar cheese is delicious, but I can't think of more nice English food. Food in London is great, but it's foreign, mostly.

Iversen wrote:I daresay that the chips (=French fries) in British fish and chips are the worst in the world - soggy and soft and.... The fish, well, once you have peeled the socalled bread of it then I can get it down, but it is not a pleasure. And we're not only speaking England here - I have tried fish and chips in Scotland too, and it was equally bad up there. The chips were much better in or instance Belgium (nice and crisp) , but I want them with remoulade as here in Denmark, not mayonnaise or ketchup.

That's true. I like the fish of the fish and chips, but the chips aren't so good. belgian chips are much better, yes, they are like a different thing here, it's weird that they want soggy soft chips and not crispy. I like mayonnaise or sate sauce for sure not salt and vinegar like the traditional English one.

Iversen wrote:I haven't tried the mint sauce which is mentioned in Asterix and the Britons, but I'm in no hurry to do so. And speaking about chocolate: I prefer the products with soft filling (so Cadbury is out), and the luxury types with 70% cocoa or more are far too bitter for my taste.

I don't know mint sauce, but I like After Eight chcolates and mint tea.

I don't agree: I like milk chocolate without filling, although I like Galler with the raspberry filling.

Iversen wrote:About health insurance and the price of operations in the USA: if the damage claims there weren't as astronomically high then operations and other treatments might be done in less costly ways without sacrificing too many patients. But as they are now doctors can't afford to take chances with medication or leave out any kind of test since that could be construed as negligence in a courtroom. They would get sued mercilessly.

My dog's operation was about £3,000 or £4,000 when he had eaten a bone.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:51 am

vogeltje wrote:I'm just a bit slow with the reading of long posts.

You're not slow, the rest of us are graphomaniacs ;-)
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:21 am

Cavesa wrote:
vogeltje wrote:I'm just a bit slow with the reading of long posts.

You're not slow, the rest of us are graphomaniacs ;-)

Haha :)

but yes, I'm slow with reading. i don't mean that I'm slow like low IQ, but sometimes I can't think, but it's different, and also the meds' fault, sorry I know you'll be a doctor but some meds make like you feel so tired that you can't get any power in your self I mean electric, biology, moving or thinking or at all energy but yes, nevertheless probably worth it, generally. anyway, i don't discuss these things online anymore.

My parents said that if we wnat we will stay in London but if we want we will return to Belgium.

It was nice that you all had your conversation yesterday, my log is for the conversaitons so please continue and in the langauge of your choice.
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:44 pm

There were a bunch of Brexit type words in either this or Cavesa's log.

Anyhoo, this might be relevant:

The Czech one is the best.
4 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:45 am

Gemuse wrote:There were a bunch of Brexit type words in either this or Cavesa's log.

Anyhoo, this might be relevant:

The Czech one is the best.

One of my favourites I've seen so far was "Lithunoremania".
2 x

Return to “Language logs”