La grande aventure de Thomas dans le monde des francophones.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: La grande aventure de Thomas dans le monde des francophones.

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 pm

It is strange but I have met two groups of Mormon missionaries in June. In Bratislava and in Sardinia. I should have asked more about their language learning method. :?
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 pm

DaveBee wrote:
tomgosse wrote: They have about eight weeks to teach them enough French to function as a soldier in the French Army. The only other organizations that I can think of that need to teach French in very short while are the Foreign Service Institute, the Defense Language Institute, and the Mormon Church. The Legion is a unit of the French Army. Here is the post where I asked about language learning in the Legion.
As I understand that, the Legion don't really teach at all. They expect recruits to pick up basic commands, and let them sink or swim. Tough love! :-)

Quite right. The recruit, or EV (engagé volontaire) is supposed to learn something like 400 words by the end of boot camp. No one seems to have a list of those words. After recruit training the legionnaire is really on his own to learn French. And from what I have read and learned from conversations with former legionnaires the quality of instruction can be all over the place. The EV is being taught by a professional soldier, not a professional teacher. Each non-French speaking EV is paired with a binôme, a French speaking recruit who is supposed to tutor him. The binôme may have two or three recruits assigned to him. His attitude towards his students may be, I must help them so I don't have to do extra pushups if they get an answer wrong in class and, if they do good it will make me look good for having leadership qualities. Other legionnaires told me that their binômes were first class jerks. They used stronger language than that but this is a family friendly forum.

The NPR piece on the Mormons sounds a bit like the FSI approach. Their missionary handbook is interesting too. They encourage the view of language learning as an ongoing process, requiring deliberate effort.

I listened to the NPR report some time ago. Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll read it tomorrow.

Bon courage mon ami,
Tom
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:57 am

tomgosse
I find that I need to refresh beginner stuff because I keep forgetting it. My brain feels like a sieve.
Absolutely! Thanks for sharing your journey Tom!
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 pm

blog_img_874.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:25 am

Bonjour mes amis,

This is not my original idea. I read it in the Duolingo French Group on Facebook. But I think I will give it a try.
"I've been trying an experiment. When I get a call from an unknown or unrecognized number, I answer in French. Usually it's a telemarketer or a political survey. I answer "Bonjour", let them say their spiel, then come back en français. They either hang up, or ask what language I speak. If I answer "Je parle français" sometimes they offer to have a French-speaking rep call back! It's been a lot of fun, and great practice to work on my accent!"

Do you have any ideas of things I might say to them?

À bientôt,
Tom
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm

Nothing from Tom in his log for more than three months. How goes it, good friend? I hope you are well.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 pm

tomgosse wrote:Bonjour mes amis,

This is not my original idea. I read it in the Duolingo French Group on Facebook. But I think I will give it a try.
"I've been trying an experiment. When I get a call from an unknown or unrecognized number, I answer in French. Usually it's a telemarketer or a political survey. I answer "Bonjour", let them say their spiel, then come back en français. They either hang up, or ask what language I speak. If I answer "Je parle français" sometimes they offer to have a French-speaking rep call back! It's been a lot of fun, and great practice to work on my accent!"

Do you have any ideas of things I might say to them?

À bientôt,
Tom

A well chosen Kaamelott quote should make them hang up forever.

This reminds me of a situation, where a person thought they got out of the conversation with their customer by not understanding the official language of the country. Nope, I switched too :-D
(and it turned out to be a pleasant short conversation about a simple and easily fixable issue. No idea why the person had been so nervous)

I've recently seen callcenter recruitement posters, looking for employees with two foreign languages. I think we'll need to get more creative with the language excuses. I think I should start learning Finnish again. Or Euskera, to be on the safe side :-)
Last edited by Cavesa on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Nothing from Tom in his log for more than three months. How goes it, good friend? I hope you are well.

I almost didn't notice, as I am a bit unorganised, when it comes to keeping track of time.

I hope you are ok, Thomas. I'm looking forward to reading the continuation of your log.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Three cheers for Tom and best wishes on the medical front.
4 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:38 pm

We miss you Tom! Hope all is ok.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”