La grande aventure de Thomas dans le monde des francophones.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Re: 31 août 2015 - Mon aventure fantastique français !

Postby pir » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:12 am

We mentioned Extra a couple of times earlier in the thread, but there was no link. ;)

tomgosse wrote:Now, Duolingo says that I am 41% fluent in French. I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I've finished 41% of the course, or I get 41% of the questions correct ? Who knows !

This is what Duolingo admin a_david said about it 3 months ago when they rolled the badge out: "This is exactly what it sounds like: our estimate of your fluency in the language you're learning. It is calculated based on what words you know, how important those words are, how well you know them, and how likely you are to forget them. It will increase over time as you learn more words and strengthen your skills, but it will decrease if you don't keep up your strength. Since our goal is for this estimate to be as accurate as possible, be aware that finishing your tree won't get you to 100%."

Which means it might not be based solely on the words in the tree, but then what is it based on? There were 1920 words in the tree when I finished it, though there might be a few more; I've come across a couple new ones taking the reverse tree. I'm supposedly 61% fluent. It does go up and down depending on whether you keep our tree golden, and how well you do when strengthening.

I can't say I was much the wiser after reading that, since they never define "fluency".

Memrise says that I have learned 562 words. I wish I could remember which ones they were.

You can look them up by going into the individual sections -- yeah, that is quite cumbersome; I wish there were a list of all the words in a course on one page.

On Friday I go for a lithotripsy and get some new plumbing put in. Not looking forward to that. :(

I imagine not. You have my best wishes; I hope everything goes well!
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: 31 août 2015 - Mon aventure fantastique français !

Postby tomgosse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 pm

pir wrote:We mentioned Extra a couple of times earlier in the thread, but there was no link. ;)
On Friday I go for a lithotripsy and get some new plumbing put in. Not looking forward to that. :(

I imagine not. You have my best wishes; I hope everything goes well!

Thank you Pir. Here is a link to Extra on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAZxBB3JZTj7w3caHHt37WBmqVXSLyhw5
And here is a link to the first episodes seven episodes that are in slightly higher quality: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2mv2wEdsVY1Yt2OAQniz0g/videos

All the best,
tom
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Re: Mon aventure fantastique français !

Postby tomgosse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 pm

A slow week for studying French, but I have been watching French language cartoons on YouTube.

The Pirate Family is about a Pirate Family. What else ? A wiki article : The Pirate Family
Here is the YouTube link:
La Famille Pirate

Corneil et Bernie is about a dog and his sitter : Corneil et Bernie
Here is the YouTube link:
L'intégrale de Corneil & Bernie
1 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 am

I hope your operation tomorrow is a success, and you come through it with flying colours!
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

6 septembre 2015 - Mon aventure fantastique français !

Postby tomgosse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Bonjour à tous,

It was a very slow week in studying French. I had my lithotripsy on Friday morning and it went well. Thankfully I didn't need a stent. So I'm beginning to feel better and restarted studying yesterday.

French in Action. I did nothing this week. I would like to start chapter 4 this week.

Memrise and Duolingo. I just restarted these yesterday. I moved up to level 9 on Duolingo. Whoopee!

Pimsleur. I still haven't moved past lesson 7.

Pronounce It Perfectly In French. I need to start this over.

Easy French Reader. I gave up on this. The story is very boring.

Other things. I volunteered to help with programming some additions and extensions for the forum. I worked in manufacturing engineering for twenty-five years and wrote programs for test equipment. I'm pretty rusty and I'm afraid that if I start brushing up on programming it will adversely effect my language studies. I do want to help with this forum and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

Online French Course. One last thing. I saw this course from Alliance française Paris-Ile-de-France on the internet. It is free, and starts on October 12. It lasts seven weeks. The web page says that you should be comfortable with CEFR level A1.

The web page for the course is here : Cours de français langue étrangère

À tout à l'huere.
Tom
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Bonjour à tous,

I'm still plodding along with my French. I came across a log by Galaxyrocker who is also studying French and Irish. He has a lot of good reviews in his posts. There I told my story of my attempts at learning Irish. I won't repeat it all here, but rather link to it there :My Post On Irish.

I'm seriously thinking of adding some Irish to my studies. Probably not as intense as French. I really don't want to derail French. Maybe I'll just start by listening to Buntús Cainte.
4 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: 6 septembre 2015 - Mon aventure fantastique français !

Postby rlnv » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:01 pm

tomgosse wrote:Bonjour à tous,

It was a very slow week in studying French. I had my lithotripsy on Friday morning and it went well. Thankfully I didn't need a stent. So I'm beginning to feel better and restarted studying yesterday.

French in Action. I did nothing this week. I would like to start chapter 4 this week.

Memrise and Duolingo. I just restarted these yesterday. I moved up to level 9 on Duolingo. Whoopee!

Pimsleur. I still haven't moved past lesson 7.

Pronounce It Perfectly In French. I need to start this over.

Easy French Reader. I gave up on this. The story is very boring.

Other things. I volunteered to help with programming some additions and extensions for the forum. I worked in manufacturing engineering for twenty-five years and wrote programs for test equipment. I'm pretty rusty and I'm afraid that if I start brushing up on programming it will adversely effect my language studies. I do want to help with this forum and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

Online French Course. One last thing. I saw this course from Alliance française Paris-Ile-de-France on the internet. It is free, and starts on October 12. It lasts seven weeks. The web page says that you should be comfortable with CEFR level A1.

The web page for the course is here : Cours de français langue étrangère

À tout à l'huere.
Tom

Great news on the lithotripsy going well. Hope full recovery is going well.

I had to grin when you mentioned Easy French Reader being boring. Yep, it was. But I think I'm the king of boring, so when I read that book, I just kept grind away at it. And being the king of boring, I kept reading all kinds of easy stuff that was semi-boring. Having to do it again, I'd definitely skip Easy French Reader, though. I salut you giving it up. Best choice, more time to do something much more enjoyable! And enjoyable means better progress.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:41 pm

tomgosse wrote:I'm seriously thinking of adding some Irish to my studies. Probably not as intense as French. I really don't want to derail French. Maybe I'll just start by listening to Buntús Cainte.

Yes! We have another gaeilgeoir!
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Bylan
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Korean (~C1)
Portuguese (~B2)
Spanish (~A2 best in reading)
French (new language since Sept '15)

Postby Bylan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 pm

tomgosse wrote:Bonjour à tous,

I'm still plodding along with my French. I came across a log by Galaxyrocker who is also studying French and Irish. He has a lot of good reviews in his posts. There I told my story of my attempts at learning Irish. I won't repeat it all here, but rather link to it there :My Post On Irish.

I'm seriously thinking of adding some Irish to my studies. Probably not as intense as French. I really don't want to derail French. Maybe I'll just start by listening to Buntús Cainte.

I always like to watch this video for inspiration on studying multiple languages at once.

I think if you can mentally approach each language for 20-30 minutes at a time, and do that two or three times a day, you can make good progress without feeling drained. Rather than going "I want to study both of these for two hours today, but where do I four hours of free time??", it's more like "I can spend a half hour on French and then do something else, then a half hour on Irish, then do something else, and repeat the process in the evening". It's helpful too because it's a natural review process too, deepening reinforcement. It's almost like doing sprints, you do a few and then rest. After some time, you do a few more and then rest. If French is your main study, then you could do French for twice the time you spend on Irish, or something like that, if that works for you.

Best of luck!
6 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Welcome to the French/Irish club! :D It's fun discovering all the links between French and Celtic culture now (even in Francophone Canada!). Maybe we can all take up Breton down the line as well :)

Juggling can be tough and I wrestle with it quite a bit. One key is having key short-term projects such as getting through a course. Then you can design the rest of your study around that (preparing review materials like Anki cards, audio to listen to on the go, having a book for sneaking in some reading, etc lets you take advantage of down time).

It's easiest to do when you have one language at a pretty solid intermediate level where you can maintain through exposure to media without losing what you've learned. I've gone through spurts in Irish where I concentrate heavily on it. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with maintaining some sort of regular review sessions between bursts so I end up having to review a bit to get back to my level when taking it up again. And I've thrown Spanish under the bus a lot even though I can get a lot out of simple media exposure.

(Regarding your other post, it's a shame about your YouTube experience. So far I've encountered some bewilderment but no hostility from Irish people IRL. It seems that online commenting culture is dominated by bullies and trolls who just discourage people from putting themselves out there).
7 x

Return to “Language logs”