阿波's Endeavour (中文,台語)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Re: 阿波's Endeavour (中文,台語)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 am

Batur和Doris,謝謝你們的鼓勵!我也關注你們的logs ^^

中文:Yesterday I hit 3,500 漢字. Learning characters feels really easy now, 90% of the time I just need to remember what 部首 (radical) and what 聲符 (phonetic component) to use, and the meaning. So the difficulty of a character has very little correlation with the number of strokes. In fact, I really need to find a way to get the readings off of the front side of my cards, because so often they are too much of a giveaway.
But I feel like I'm approaching a point where I can kinda listen for fun. Some things I can transcribe moderately well, given the ability to rewind and all (on occasion, even surprisingly fast things). Some things I get the gist of even without that. And a lot of things are of course still way over my head. Either way, I don't see learning to write more characters by hand being of much help when it comes to my listening... So I think I'll go back to maintenance mode for now, and keep trying to get myself to listen more instead.
Of course, that also meant updating my wallpaper ;)

台語:In case anybody's wondering, the word I couldn't get at all in my last attempt at transcribing some Hokkien was phû/浮. I also found this song (clicky) surprisingly less incomprehensible than some others (disclaimer: a lot of it I may have gotten wrong. For example, I'm more likely to mistake unknown things for ones I'm familiar with, etc.):

Oi, Huang sian-senn/喂,黃先生

Ai-iō/哎喲
Siánn-mih tāi-tsì ## gún/啥物代誌##阮
Sui-liân sī lí guá nn̄g ê láu-tsá hó pîng-iú/雖然是妳我兩个老早好朋友
Hiàn-tsāi #guá # lí ## tshit-thô/現在#我#妳##tshit-thô
Tān-sī guá tshiánn lí ## bē-tàng###/但是我請妳##袂當###
Lí m̄ tsai tshù lāi thài-thài iá teh tán guá/妳毋知厝內太太猶咧等我 //Not sure about this one.
Siūnn khí-lâi, siūnn khí-lâi, hōo guá sim lāi kám-kak ###/想起來,想起來,予我心內感覺###

Ai-iō/哎喲
Sǹg khí-lâi kè-hun í-āu í-king sann kò ge̍h/算起來過分以後已經三個月 //Not sure about the 過分 part.
Sui-liân ####, m̄-koh khuài-lo̍k/雖然####,毋過快樂
Siūnn khí tio̍h i ê ##, # tsiū bô##/想起著伊的##,#就無##
#####liāu-lí, tán guá tńg--khì/#####料理,等我轉去
Kóng khí-lâi, kóng khí-lâi, ## ê lâng, ## m̄ tsai --lah/講起來,講起來,##的人,##毋知啦

Ai-iō/哎喲
Lí nā-sī m̄ siong-sìn guá/妳若是毋相信我
Tshiánn lí lâi khuànn #/請妳來看# //Is the last one mài/莫?
Khuànn guá #### khuài-lo̍k ##/看我####快樂##
Lí it-tīng ē lâi siūnn-beh kái-piàn lí ì-tsì/妳一定會來想欲改變妳意志 //Not sure about the 改變 and 意志 parts.
Guá kā lí kài-siāu tsi̍t ê bí-lē koo-niû/我給妳介紹這个美麗姑娘
Hōo guá lâi, hōo guá lâi, # tio̍h lí ê ### ê lâng/予我來,予我來,#著妳的###的人

A very interesting thing is, I used to think the universal classifier is ê/个, and kò/個 was only used to mean "individual" (like in kò-lîn/個人), but it'd seem the word ge̍h/月 (month) gets to use kò/個 as its classifier. I looked it up in a dictionary, and it does mention this use! What's more, IIRC Japanese did a similar thing, where you'd put ヶ (pronounced "ka" in this meaning) before 月!

EDIT: Can't get the image with all the characters to display.
1 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 am

Just found a video with the song's lyrics (clicky), so I decided to see how much I got right. The words in red are the ones I got wrong; and the blue ones I nearly got right, but wasn't sure enough.

Ai-iō/哎喲
Siánn-mih tāi-tsì ## gún(Sam lông-kun)/啥物代誌##阮(三郎君)
Sui-liân sī lí guá nn̄g ê láu-tsá hó pîng-iú/雖然是(你)我兩个老早好朋友
Hiàn-tsāi #(kiò) guá #(phuānn) lí ##(sì-kè) tshit-thô/現在#(叫)我#(伴)(你)##(四界)tshit-thô
Tān-sī guá tshiánn lí ##(guân-liōng) bē-tàng #(phuānn) ##(lí khì)/但是我請(你)##(原諒)袂當 #(phuānn)# #(你去)
Lí m̄ tsai tshù lāi thài-thài (iā) teh tán guá/(你)毋知厝內太太(也)咧等我
Siūnn khí-lâi, siūnn khí-lâi, hōo guá sim lāi kám-kak ##(khin-sang) #(--lah)/想起來,想起來,予我心內感覺##(輕鬆)#(啦)

Ai-iō/哎喲
Sǹg khí-lâi kè-hun(kiat-hun?) í-āu í-king sann kò ge̍h/算起來過分(結婚)以後已經三個月 //I even texted a friend how I thought it'd be 結婚, but it didn't sound to me like what the dictionary said it's pronounced like! 吼唷……
Sui-liân ##(ka-tîng) ##(sàn-tshiah), m̄-koh khuài-lo̍k/雖然##(家庭)##(散赤),毋過快樂
Siūnn khí tio̍h i ê ##(thé-thiap), # tsiū(un-jiû) bô ##(tuì-pí)/想起著伊的##(體貼),#就(溫柔)無##(對比) //Still not sure about the tuì-pí/對比
#(un)##(sio-tsiú)#(tsú)#(hó) liāu-lí, tán guá tńg--khì/#(溫)##(燒酒)#(煮)#(好)料理,等我轉去
Kóng khí-lâi, kóng khí-lâi, ##(to̍k-sin) ê lâng, ##(當然) m̄ tsai --lah/講起來,講起來,##(獨身)的人,##(當然)毋知啦

Ai-iō/哎喲
Lí nā-sī m̄ siong-sìn guá/(你)若是毋相信我
Tshiánn lí lâi khuànn#(khuànn-māi)/請(你)來看#(看覓) //At least got the first half of the last word right ^^
Khuànn guá ##(sin-hun) ##(ka-tîng) khuài-lo̍k ##(tsu-bī)/看我##(新婚)##(家庭)快樂##(滋味)
Lí it-tīng ē lâi siūnn-beh kái-piàn lí ì-tsì/(你)一定會來想欲改變(你)意志
Guá kā lí kài-siāu tsi̍t(tsi̍t) ê bí-lē koo-niû/我給(你)介紹(一)个美麗姑娘
Hōo guá lâi, hōo guá lâi, #(tsuán) tio̍h lí ê ##(âng-pau) # ê(hō-lé) lâng(--lah)/予我來,予我來,#(賺)著(你)的##(紅包)#的(賀禮)(啦)

In total, between roughly 116-125 words right, out of ~154; or 75-81% words right.
1 x
阿波

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 am

Ezy Ryder wrote:Just found a video with the song's lyrics (clicky), so I decided to see how much I got right. The words in red are the ones I got wrong; and the blue ones I nearly got right, but wasn't sure enough.

Ai-iō/哎喲
Sui-liân sī lí guá nn̄g ê láu-tsá hó pîng-iú/雖然是(你)我兩个老早好朋友
Hiàn-tsāi #(kiò) guá #(phuānn) lí ##(sì-kè) tshit-thô/現在#(叫)我#(伴)(你)##(四界)tshit-thô
Tān-sī guá tshiánn lí ##(guân-liōng) bē-tàng #(phuānn) ##(lí khì)/但是我請(你)##(原諒)袂當 #(phuānn)# #(你去)
Lí m̄ tsai tshù lāi thài-thài (iā) teh tán guá/(你)毋知厝內太太(也)咧等我
Siūnn khí-lâi, siūnn khí-lâi, hōo guá sim lāi kám-kak ##(khin-sang) #(--lah)/想起來,想起來,予我心內感覺##(輕鬆)#(啦)

Ai-iō/哎喲
Sǹg khí-lâi kè-hun(kiat-hun?) í-āu í-king sann kò ge̍h/算起來過分(結婚)以後已經三個月 //I even texted a friend how I thought it'd be 結婚, but it didn't sound to me like what the dictionary said it's pronounced like! 吼唷……
Sui-liân ##(ka-tîng) ##(sàn-tshiah), m̄-koh khuài-lo̍k/雖然##(家庭)##(散赤),毋過快樂
Siūnn khí tio̍h i ê ##(thé-thiap), # tsiū(un-jiû) bô ##(tuì-pí)/想起著伊的##(體貼),#就(溫柔)無##(對比) //Still not sure about the tuì-pí/對比
#(un)##(sio-tsiú)#(tsú)#(hó) liāu-lí, tán guá tńg--khì/#(溫)##(燒酒)#(煮)#(好)料理,等我轉去
Kóng khí-lâi, kóng khí-lâi, ##(to̍k-sin) ê lâng, ##(當然) m̄ tsai --lah/講起來,講起來,##(獨身)的人,##(當然)毋知啦

Ai-iō/哎喲
Lí nā-sī m̄ siong-sìn guá/(你)若是毋相信我
Tshiánn lí lâi khuànn#(khuànn-māi)/請(你)來看#(看覓) //At least got the first half of the last word right ^^
Khuànn guá ##(sin-hun) ##(ka-tîng) khuài-lo̍k ##(tsu-bī)/看我##(新婚)##(家庭)快樂##(滋味)
Lí it-tīng ē lâi siūnn-beh kái-piàn lí ì-tsì/(你)一定會來想欲改變(你)意志
Guá kā lí kài-siāu tsi̍t(tsi̍t) ê bí-lē koo-niû/我給(你)介紹(一)个美麗姑娘
Hōo guá lâi, hōo guá lâi, #(tsuán) tio̍h lí ê ##(âng-pau) # ê(hō-lé) lâng(--lah)/予我來,予我來,#(賺)著(你)的##(紅包)#的(賀禮)(啦)

In total, between roughly 116-125 words right, out of ~154; or 75-81% words right.

That's amazing! brilliant!wonderful!!
I am speechless now! Can't imagine that!!
You must be a talent!!
0 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 am

但願如此 哈哈 but thanks for the encouragement

惡性循環
I keep using Anki to make myself feel better about not spending more time actually listening to Mandarin. I know it's not exactly a new revelation or anything, I'm just back to the “I should do something about it” phase. I'm an Anki addict, so going into relapse eventually is rather likely hh

Here are some things I'll try doing whenever I feel like it:
“精聽” – deliberately picking some very challenging audio (with captions or a transcript), to relisten to individual utterances however many times it takes me to hear what I see in the writing (not just “if I focus real hard”, but “automatically, whether I want it or not”). Inspired by: this thread
“輕精聽” – choosing less challenging audio (with or without captions/a transcript) I can more or less understand provided enough relistens, and then relistening to individual utterances until I manage to decipher them.
“頓聽” – listening to something less challenging (still with captions or a transcript), pausing before each sentence to read the captions/transcript (and looking up new words if necessary), and only listening to that sentence once I can anticipate it.
“泛聽” – listening to things I can understand well enough to enjoy.
Skyping with friends – self-explanatory.
Maybe I'll also post weekly/monthly totals for the time I actually spent listening. Unless I'm too lazy to keep track of it.

I'll try to limit my Anki use for Mandarin to writing characters.
2 x
阿波

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

我很久没有写语言日志了。一旦停下来,再想继续写就难了,总是一再的拖延。
你提到“精听、轻精听、顿听、泛听“,你对听力部分很重视。那说、写和阅读呢?
这三部分你平时怎么练习?
0 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am

嗨,Batur,謝謝你的留言!拖延症就是我非常可以同情的東西(如你所見 嘻嘻 不好意思!!)。我覺得你有空(和餘力)時繼續寫你的日誌還好,不用在意所謂「定期性」呢:)

寫:最近我真想拋棄我的寫字單字卡片,結果我正嘗試把我的(英→中)單詞卡片用來邊複習詞彙,邊複習寫字。希望這麼不會挫折要複習不知道什麼利用它的詞的字。
還有每週幾次我寫日記(又稱「有時記」 哈哈 是手寫的),而天天跟朋友們聊聊天(打字)

說:有時我發朋友語音留言,有時我自言自語(希望宿舍裡的隔壁鄰居不介意 嘻嘻)

讀:除了跟朋友們聊天以外,一般我懶得看中文。我的閱讀速度還太慢,且這兩三年我更想要進步我的聽力(我覺得增加閱讀上的詞彙又容易,又超快;增加聽力上的卻又麻煩,又慢慢)

聽:最近計算我天天花多少時間聽中文,注意到一週算是兩個小時以下……不夠了。決定我要找耳機,去大學,去超市,回宿舍,買東西,去跑步當中等等應該聽手機上的中文呢。那麼每週順便加幾個小時才更容易吧
1 x
阿波

Return to “Language logs”