What next? (learning Spanish, maintaining German, random dabbling...)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: Tatort und Chill (DE|ES|FR)

Postby gsbod » Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 pm

When I make Anki decks, I tend to focus on either individual words or short phrases/collocations as I find this generally gives me the best value for time spent. I sometimes add notes for clarification and occasionally include whole sentences if that's the only way to keep note of a point I really want to remember.

Anyway, reviewing my Spanish deck this evening made me chuckle. I'd set up a couple of cards with sentences to demonstrate the fact that you don't use an article when stating someone's profession, unless it is qualified by an adjective. The examples I used straight from the book was Marco es músico and Marco es un músico famoso. But I decided that I needed an extra pair just to hammer the point home and had to invent my own sentence based on the vocabulary available to me at the time (halfway through Chapter 2). So I came up with "El jefe es economista" and "El jefe es un economista competente", or "The boss is a competent economist" in English. Is this the result of studying from a book aimed originally at the German market? It amused me anyway, as the card came up again today after a break of a few days so I was a little bit removed from the context in which I first made it, and I had to ask myself where on earth did that come from?
5 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I finished reading Das Nebelhaus and, wow, it was terrible. It's got a rating of 4.3 on amazon.de at the moment and I really don't understand why. When I picked it up I was expecting a trashy Krimi of the good kind - that's to say an easy read driven by good plotting. But this was just riddled with clichés and stereotypes and, whilst I'm pretty cool with books about unlikeable characters, they need to be at least believable. And some of the writing just made me cringe. Take this from one of the final chapters, where our heroine meets a friend in a fashionable Berlin bar:

"Wir saßen in hohen schwarzen Ledersesseln, umrahmt von Lichtbögen, und diskutierten die menschliche Psyche, die fröhlich-bunt sein konnte wie Hannas Mai Tai oder dunkel und rätselhaft wie mein Negroni."

Or (please excuse my amateur translation):

"We sat in high leather chairs, surrounded by flourescent lights, and discussed the human psyche, which could be cheerful and colourful like Hanna's mai tai or dark and mysterious like my negroni.

Oh, and from the outset of the story, you knew that four people had been shot (three fatally) but the identity of two of the victims remained a mystery until the very end, presumably because otherwise it would have been too obvious who the murderer was.

On the plus side, I was still able to pick up some useful-but-lower-frequency vocabulary, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. And I picked it up originally in a charity shop, so not a complete waste of money either. I'll probably donate it back to the charity shop once retail gets back to normal.

In the mean time I wouldn't mind a mai tai...
8 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sun May 31, 2020 6:57 pm

At the beginning of the week I set some goals for the week in order to try and ensure I give sufficient time to both German and Spanish in my attempt to study two languages simultaneously - which I think will require me to be a bit more structured, systematic and even disciplined in my approach. That doesn't make it sound like much fun, but for this week it actually worked pretty well. I'm going to aim to review and set new goals every Sunday, for as long as it makes sense to do so.

Here are the details:

Spanish

- Complete exercises 1-9 in Chapter 3 of Nos Vemos and the corresponding exercises in the exercise book - complete

Asking myself to study half a chapter in one week really picked up the pace, since I'd taken some 5 weeks to study chapter 2. However, I'm also aware that I managed to get the first chapter done in less than a week - although it took me longer than that to get through all the new vocabulary cards I'd made in Anki. I love the idea of trying to blast through the beginning phases of a new language quickly, but I'm not sure I have the time or mental space to get obsessive enough over a new language. Also it's possible that cramming a new language may be a bit like cramming for a test, so that if you don't take action afterwards to maintain and extend your knowledge, you lose it more quickly than if you'd taken a more measured approach to learning it in the first place. Or maybe I'm just making excuses.

Anyway, if I keep up this pace with the textbook and don't get distracted, I could be a very solid A2 by the middle of February next year, which will make things more interesting if I'm able to get a holiday to Spain in early summer.

This week I have managed to write my first very basic short text in Spanish. And I've noticed that the listening exercises from my textbook have felt a little easier this week as I am getting more used to the very basic connectors and verb forms being used to hang everything together.

German

- Stay up to date with the films portion of the Super Challenge - in progress
- Finish reading Elf Tage in Berlin and, ideally, Das Nebelhaus (if I don't drop it altogether) - partially complete
- Keep going with my Anki German Prepositions Project - partially complete
- Start working through a German grammar workbook - done

I've fallen a bit behind on the films part of the Super Challenge. I genuinely find it hard to just sit in front of the TV, and even more so this week where we've had unusually hot weather which means I've been sunbathing in the garden as it's probably the closest I'll get to a summer holiday experience this year! Anyway, there's still plenty of time to catch up on the Super Challenge and it's supposed to cool down soon.

Since I decided I wasn't counting Das Nebelhaus for the Super Challenge as I'd already started it before the Super Challenge started, it feels like I'm really behind on the reading portion as I've only read just over 200 pages of Elf Tage in Berlin. However, I can stay on track by reading just under 120 pages a week, which is still very much achievable.

The first part of my prepositions project - to set up an Anki deck with the genitive prepositions plus any of the dative ones I wasn't confident on meaning and/or usage - is complete and I'm now happily reviewing the cards when they come up. I've started the data entry for the second part with prepositional verbs, adjectives and nouns but I'm making very slow progress.

I've started using the Hueber workbook Deutsch üben 1: "mir" oder "mich"? and I've only completed the first exercise, but that still means, technically, I've completed the workbook goal for the week. For German I think the combination of native input (at a suitable volume and frequency) plus workbooks (as opposed to textbooks) is probably the right approach at the moment. The idea is that the input will slowly help me build and cement my vocabulary, while the workbooks will ensure that my grammar standards don't slip. And right now I'm really not interested in reading C1/C2 level texts about the state of the world through the idealised lens of a language textbook, or writing short, trite essays that nobody will read in response.

Goals for next week

- Finish Chapter 3 of Nos Vemos
- Get back up to date on the films portion of the Super Challenge
- Finish reading Elf Tage in Berlin
- Keep going with my Anki German Prepositions Project, including some (undefined amount of) data entry
- Complete exercises 2-11 in Deutsch üben 1: "mir" oder "mich"?
5 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:40 pm

I am giving myself a bit of a headache with my study plans at the moment. There are a few issues at play.

When I started Spanish in April, it was supposed to be a distraction and I wasn't supposed to be taking it too seriously. Now I keep asking myself how far I want to take it, how much I want to push myself, and how fast I want to go. It's like I'm trying to prove myself all over again, in the sense of trying to learn a new language as quickly as possible, as if that is going to show the world how awesome I am. Except I really don't have anything to prove any more so I don't quite understand where that push is coming from. Maybe I've just stumbled on a default setting I didn't realise I had. The problem is that it doesn't actually help me learn more efficiently, it just makes me worry more about not learning efficiently, which really doesn't help me learn efficiently. I'm just making lots of pointless grand plans I know I can't fulfill, when I know that the best approach is still just to keep taking it one page at a time and see how far I get. Don't stop, keep going, but don't get overexcited and don't overheat.

The other factor is this deep rooted belief I have that I cannot study two or more languages at once. I think this came into play about 8 years ago when I'd just started learning German, was preparing to sit the N2 exam for Japanese, and then signed up for a French evening class. It felt like French broke everything, so I ended up dropping both French and German pretty quickly since I was most invested in getting my N2 certificate at the time. When I came back to German after succeeding in my N2, I ended up dropping Japanese but it felt more of a natural thing to do as my interests were changing. French did occupy a bit of a weird space in my brain at the time, which probably has a lot to do with how I learned it in the first place and the fact that it is much more closely related to English than Japanese, which made it very difficult for me to switch between French and Japanese. It's hard to explain and the only thing that gives me some comfort now is that I've seen other people, in real life, who are generally very competent linguists, have their skills momentarily collapse in a similar way when dealing with switching between two specific language pairs.

Anyway, I haven't experienced any language collapses lately. But what I have noticed is that if I spend any significant amount of time and effort on a language that isn't German, my German pronunciation really starts to go wrong. The vowels end up all in the wrong place and the r sound just gets stuck in my throat and won't form properly. I'm not a natural mimic so any pronunciation abiltiy I have has been really hard won and it gets really frustrating for it to seemingly disappear just because I've had the audacity to spend some time on Spanish (or French, or whatever). I was just talking through some German baking recipes with my husband, and all of the long o sounds came out sounding hideously English. I knew they were wrong but I couldn't put them back in the right place. Right now, it's really not a big deal - my husband's German pronunciation is worse than mine, so it's not like it will upset him - but it still feels like a sign that something is wrong and just fuels my frustration.

So part of me is saying "Learn Spanish as quickly as possible! Show the world how awesome you are!" and another part is saying "Forget about Spanish! It's ruining your German!" and I think actually, objectively, both positions are wrong. It's just one big distraction, hence the headache.
5 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:41 pm

On the whole, German has a much better system for naming animals than English, for example Faultier, Stachelschwein, Nilpferd and so on. But I've found two examples where English beats German: hedgehog (der Igel) and bumblebee (die Hummel). These are possibly now my two favourite English words!

I've also discovered, to my horror, that for the last several years I've been pretty wrong about the gender of Bibliothek. I was sure it was neuter, turns out it's feminine. Ouch.
3 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Offensichtlich hat es nicht funktioniert wie erwartet, wöchentlich Ziele zu setzen. Ich weiß nicht, ob ein Teil von meinem emotionalen Ausbruch am Dienstag eine Reaktion auf die Schwierigkeit, diese Ziele zu erreichen war, oder ob die Ziele selbst ein Reaktion auf meine Unentschlossenheit waren. Ich hatte auch schlechte Laune diese Woche, die kann als normale Reaktion einer schwierigen Situation betrachtet werden. Das ist wahrscheinlich die neue Normalität für die meisten Menschen im Westeuropa.

Ich habe mich entschieden, Sprachenlernen flexibler anzugehen. Es braucht Zeit, Sprachkenntnisse zu vertiefen. Neulich habe ich irgendwo gelesen, dass Fremdsprachenlernen wie Gartenarbeit ist. Man muss sich regelmäßig um die Pflanzen (oder die Sprachen) kümmern, aber man muss auch geduldig warten, bis die Pflanzen endlich blühen. Dieses Jahr habe ich auch erstmals nach 10 Jahren versucht, Gemüse anzubauen, also kann ich vielleicht davon etwas lernen.

Deutsch ist noch da, Spanisch ist noch da, und ich mache damit weiter. Ich lege mich nicht mehr auf eine Deadline für Spanisch fest. Ich muss nur ein oder zweimal pro Woche mit dem Lehrbuch arbeiten, und dann mit Anki fast jeden Tag die neuen Wörter wiederholen. Genau so wie ich bevor letzte Woche gemacht hatte.

Ab jetzt versuche ich, mein Tagebuch hier auf Deutsch zu schreiben, weil Schreiben meiner Schwachpunkt ist. Ich habe nichts gegen Schreiben. Das Problem liegt darin, dass ich normalerweise keinen Grund habe, auf Deutsch zu schreiben und deshalb übe ich Schreiben fast nie. Ich experimentiere auch mit verschiedenen Lernressourcen für Deutsch aber es ist zu früh, ausführlich darüber zu schreiben.

Das Super Challenge ist noch eine echte Herausforderung. Ich habe noch nicht Elf Tage in Berlin zu Ende gelesen. Ich lese es trotzdem weiter.
6 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Postby kraemder » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:04 pm

gsbod wrote:Offensichtlich hat es nicht funktioniert wie erwartet, wöchentlich Ziele zu setzen. Ich weiß nicht, ob ein Teil von meinem emotionalen Ausbruch am Dienstag eine Reaktion auf die Schwierigkeit, diese Ziele zu erreichen war, oder ob die Ziele selbst ein Reaktion auf meine Unentschlossenheit waren. Ich hatte auch schlechte Laune diese Woche, die kann als normale Reaktion einer schwierigen Situation betrachtet werden. Das ist wahrscheinlich die neue Normalität für die meisten Menschen im Westeuropa.

Ich habe mich entschieden, Sprachenlernen flexibler anzugehen. Es braucht Zeit, Sprachkenntnisse zu vertiefen. Neulich habe ich irgendwo gelesen, dass Fremdsprachenlernen wie Gartenarbeit ist. Man muss sich regelmäßig um die Pflanzen (oder die Sprachen) kümmern, aber man muss auch geduldig warten, bis die Pflanzen endlich blühen. Dieses Jahr habe ich auch erstmals nach 10 Jahren versucht, Gemüse anzubauen, also kann ich vielleicht davon etwas lernen.

Deutsch ist noch da, Spanisch ist noch da, und ich mache damit weiter. Ich lege mich nicht mehr auf eine Deadline für Spanisch fest. Ich muss nur ein oder zweimal pro Woche mit dem Lehrbuch arbeiten, und dann mit Anki fast jeden Tag die neuen Wörter wiederholen. Genau so wie ich bevor letzte Woche gemacht hatte.

Ab jetzt versuche ich, mein Tagebuch hier auf Deutsch zu schreiben, weil Schreiben meiner Schwachpunkt ist. Ich habe nichts gegen Schreiben. Das Problem liegt darin, dass ich normalerweise keinen Grund habe, auf Deutsch zu schreiben und deshalb übe ich Schreiben fast nie. Ich experimentiere auch mit verschiedenen Lernressourcen für Deutsch aber es ist zu früh, ausführlich darüber zu schreiben.

Das Super Challenge ist noch eine echte Herausforderung. Ich habe noch nicht Elf Tage in Berlin zu Ende gelesen. Ich lese es trotzdem weiter.

Writing in German was my worst skill too for the same reason you described - I basically had no reason to practice it. One exception was a class I took at the Goethe Institut in Boston where I did a rare writing assignment about giving a presentation in Spanish at school that semester. I think it was full of errors but despite the grammar mistakes etc., my 'voice' came through and the teacher liked it so much she read it to the whole class. Anyway, if you keep posting in German I can use your log to catch up my German skills too.
4 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Gestern erwähnte ich, dass ich experimentiere mit ein paar Lernressourcen. Eins davon ist das Buch Using German Vocabulary. Dieses Buch ist das größte Buch über Vokabeln, das ich kenne. Kanji in Context ist vielleicht ähnlich. Ich finde der Umfang dieser Bücher etwas belastend und weiß nicht genau, wie ich damit am besten arbeiten sollte. Laut Using German Vocabulary soll ich zuerst die Wortschatzlisten mithilfe Karteikarten lernen und danach die Übungen machen. Die Übungen können dann ab und zu wiederholt werden. Es gibt 20 Kapiteln im Buch und in jedem Kapitel 3 Stufen mit zugehörigen Listen und Übungen.

Anstatt Karteikarten habe ich natürlich Anki benützt. Ich habe Karte für nur die erste Stufe des ersten Kapitels gemacht and das macht schon 558 Karten (279 Fakten). Wenn ich die Standardeinstellungen verwende und nur 20 neue Karten pro Tag lerne, würde ich ungefähr 5 Jahren für das ganze Buch brauchen. Das ist zu viel Zeit, also jetzt experimentiere ich mit 100 neuen Karten pro Tag, bis ich die Listen gelernt habe und die Übungen machen kann. Und danach wiederhole ich die Karten in Anki nicht so oft. Ich weiß nicht, ob Anki hier eine große Zeitverschwendung ist oder nicht. Dateneingabe gefällt mir wenig. Aber ich weiß auch, dass ich nach 8 Jahren Deutsch-Lernen schon Wörter wie "Geschirr" und "Beweise" vergessen habe und das gefällt mir auch nicht.

Bearbeitung: Fehler bei der Verbposition.
4 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Diese Woche musste ich eine Pause machen. Ich hatte eine Art Platzangst bekommen, weil ich so viel Zeit hier am Schreibtisch in der Ecke dieses Zimmers verbringe. Ich arbeite hier, unterhalte mich mit Familien und Freunden durch den Computer, lese, höre Hörbücher zu, klöpple, mache Kreuzstich, und lerne Sprachen mit Lehrbücher, Notizblock usw. Manchmal verbringe ich den ganzen Tag hier, außer wenn ich esse und schlafe. Mein Schreibtisch und Bürostuhl sind sehr bequem. Das ist zwar wichtig, weil ich oft unter Rückenschmerzen leide, aber ich habe es so satt immer in der gleichen Ecke dieses Zimmers zu sitzen. Bis diese Woche habe ich geglaubt, dass ich es geschaft hatte, eine psychologische Grenze zwischen Arbeit und Freizeit zu schaffen. Das war wahrscheinlich nur vorübergehend.

Also Mittwoch, Donnerstag, und Freitag Abend habe ich im Wohnzimmer mit einem Buch verbracht. Gestern habe ich im Garten gearbeitet und dann wieder im Wohnzimmer gelesen. Heute bezahle ich dafür in Rückenschmerzen, trotzdem hat es sich gelohnt.

Ich möchte einen anderen Platz im Haus für meine Arbeit finden, sodass ich auch Platz für meine Freizeit habe. Ich glaube aber, dass das wahrscheinlich nicht möglich ist. Mein Mann arbeitet meistens am Esstisch in der Küche, weil sein Computertisch zu klein ist. Es gibt sonst keinen geeigneten Tisch im Haus.

Alles in allem habe ich Glück, dass Lockdown für mich nicht total unanganehm ist. Aber es gibt noch Unannehmlichkeiten jetzt, weil ich im Home Office arbeiten muss.

Ich gehe jetzt in den Garten, um ein Buch zu lesen, während die Sonne noch scheint. Vielleicht ist es nicht so schlimm.
5 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Heute habe ich endlich ein bisschen mehr Spanisch gelernt. Jetzt kann ich auf Spanisch sagen, was mir gefällt und was nicht. Obwohl ich nur ab und zu mit meinem Lehrbuch arbeite, komme ich noch weiter, weil ich fast jeden Tag wichtige Dinge mit Anki wiederhole. Das funktioniert besser als erwartet.

Ich habe auch neulich über diesen Thread nachgedacht insbesondere diese Idee, dass man innerhalb eines Jahres mit einer Sprache fertig sein kann. Die große Frage für mich lautet, was fertig in diesem Zusammenhang tatsächlich heißt? Anscheinend heißt es eine schwache C1. Diese Niveau hatte ich schon 2017 erreicht, ich bin aber noch nicht mit Deutsch fertig. C1 war für mich eher ein neuer Anfang. Danach war ich endlich in der Lage, tiefer in der deutschsprachigen Welt einzudringen.

Wann ich über andere Sprachen denke (zum Beispiel Französisch, Japanisch und jetzt Spanisch), frage ich mich oft, ob ich mit B2/C1 zufrieden sein könnte. In vielerlei Hinsicht ist B1 erfreulicher, weil man nicht viel von einem selbst erwartet, aber es ist noch sehr praktisch wenn man Urlaub macht.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”