What next? (learning Spanish, maintaining German, random dabbling...)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: gsbod's language log (mostly German, some Italian)

Postby gsbod » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Since my last post, studying German has started to feel like wading through sludge - hard work, tiring, and very slow progress (but at least I am moving forward, one sticky step at a time). The problem isn't German. It's just the rest of my life is wearing me out - particularly the bit where I have to earn money to fund my German habit.

I have decided that I am going to spend my main summer holiday this year learning German in Berlin. I am hoping that the coolness of Berlin will at least counteract the nerdiness of the rest of my plan. I don't expect to make too much progress in just two weeks, but it will be nice to have a bit of immersion and pretend that I am actually living there - I mean, I'll actually have to get up in the mornings so it's not exactly a holiday even if I do have the afternoons and evenings free to fill with cultural goodness and beer. Also I am hoping that the level checks as part of the course will give me some confidence in taking the B2 Goethe Zertifikat later this year - or worst case knock me down a peg or two but save me the exam entry fee!
5 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Re: gsbod's language log (mostly German)

Postby gsbod » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 pm

I finished reading Tiefe Wunden by Nele Neuhaus. These Taunus Krimis are really utter trash, but for me at least they are enjoyable trash. I wouldn't bother with them in English, but it's a bit of a guilty pleasure to read in German. That being said, I think this one could have been made more enjoyable without quite so many characters to keep track of and with a lower body count.

After finishing the book, I realised that I'd stopped keeping track of my pages a few books back. I think I may have lost interest once the Super Challenge Bot went down and my pace of reading started to increase. Anyway, I was able to update the spreadsheet with my German reading to discover that I am now just over halfway to 10,000 pages. In other words I've done 1 Super Challenge worth of reading, although not within the timescales of the challenge.

Despite how tired I've been lately, I am working really well with Übungsgrammatik für die Mittelstufe (just a little bit slower than I would like). I think this book falls into the category of right book, right time. It says it is based on the em Grammatik book. It is at just the right level for me and is really helping me to start tidying up a few problem areas, including plurals, articles and adjective declension. I think it would be better if it had a few more exercises in it, although I find the 2 page per grammar point layout quite helpful for keeping things in manageable chunks - each point takes me about 30 minutes to cover, which is perfect to fit into a weekday evening. I'm also successfully using Anki to help with grammar points that I've always found to be a bit elusive - like tables of articles or adjective declensions, or some of the more consistent patterns for forming plurals. This is working surprisingly well and makes up for the more limited number of exercises in the book. I'm also picking up some quite useful new vocabulary on the side - not overwhelming amounts but just enough to make it feel like more than just a grammar exercise.

The Goethe exam dates in London have now been announced and the B2 is towards the end of November. That really is plenty of time to prepare...I could get all the way to C1 by then! :lol:
0 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Time for an update. It's been a while. But now I'm sat on an ICE train with nothing better to do and it feels somehow appropriate.

After my study plan seemed to be going so well, once again work got in the way. Too many late nights at the office made consistent study either impossible or undesirable. Instead I started using my free time to catch up on reading, predominantly in English.

It doesn't seem to have harmed my German. Two weeks ago I came to Germany for a long weekend and felt that my spoken German had somehow improved without even trying.

Now I'm back in Germany to spend some time in a language school in Berlin. Apparently it's my idea of a holiday! Although after the last couple of months at work a couple of weeks on a Mediterranean beach currently feels more appealing!

I did an online placement test for the language school which was...interesting. After my performance on the grammar section, the test decided I was obviously at a higher level than I thought so gave me some reading comprehension questions on poetry, philosophy and law, which I apparently managed to answer correctly! On the other hand my self evaluation for speaking was not great – mainly because it asked a lot of questions about things I'd never had to do in German. Anyway, time will tell which class they stick me in.
2 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:29 pm

gsbod wrote:Now I'm back in Germany to spend some time in a language school in Berlin. Apparently it's my idea of a holiday!

I did something similar a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. I hope you do the same. I've followed your progress in German for some time now and draw inspiration from your diligence and focus.
2 x
Corrections welcome!

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 am

I found a lot of inspiration reading about your experience learning German, AlOlaf. Your experience on your language school holiday gives me confidence that the next two weeks should be productive and fun.

I also could do with a bit more of that diligence and focus! But I do think that German is the right language for me. The more I learn, the more reasons I find to learn it - and this is why I keep going.
1 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Postby kraemder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 am

I'm disappointed I didn't find your German log sooner. Are you studying at Goethe or a different school? It seems you're good at taking tests :). Not a bad skill to have.
0 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 pm

I guess my log gets buried since I don't update it much any more! I'm not studying at Goethe Institut, not sure if I want to post publicly where I am.

Today was my first day of classes. I've been placed in a C1 class. I'm not quite sure how this happened :lol: It is challenging in a good way and I'm really enjoying it so far.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:58 pm

gsbod wrote:I guess my log gets buried since I don't update it much any more! I'm not studying at Goethe Institut, not sure if I want to post publicly where I am.

Today was my first day of classes. I've been placed in a C1 class. I'm not quite sure how this happened :lol: It is challenging in a good way and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Congrats! There most of my C1 ckass didnt expect ro get into the class and most dis just fine! I also don't blame you for not wanting to post where you are. I so have a few questions though. How long is your class and which book are you using?
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

gsbod
Blue Belt
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)

Postby gsbod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm taking the class for two weeks. Wish it was longer but I still need to earn a living! The coursebook is Aspekte Neu, although so far it hasn't been the main focus, which may explain why I enjoyed myself so much.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Postby kraemder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 pm

I was wondering if you were going to the same school I went to almost 20 years ago - sorry it didn't occur to me that you might want to keep stuff private just in case.

I know my idea of the perfect vacation is taking language classes at a school abroad. I'm pretty sure you'll be in a class with other people wanting to learn German and excited to be there too. That's how it was for me when I went and I met a lot of people and it was a blast.

How's your Japanese these days? I've let my German go and I'm a bit scared to find out how bad it is :/.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”