CarlyD's 2020/2021 German Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: CarlyD's 2020 Log--mostly German

Postby Cavesa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:33 pm

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16213

Do you like it? If you want to change absolutely anything in the first post, I'll change it asap!

Are we starting this week (starts in a few hours) or next monday?
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Cavesa wrote:https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16213

Do you like it? If you want to change absolutely anything in the first post, I'll change it asap!

Are we starting this week (starts in a few hours) or next Monday?

I love the new log. Let's start Monday, 10/26, since I was planning that anyway. You're 9 or 10 hours ahead of me? I know I'm 8 hours behind my friend in England.

The weekly goal is going to be a learning curve--I think I'm going to set daily goals for just this first week to see how it plays out and what I can get done. The 6 Week Challenge starts next Sunday, so hopefully I'll have the weekly goals sorted by then.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:35 pm

CarlyD wrote:
Cavesa wrote:https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16213

Are we starting this week (starts in a few hours) or next Monday?

I love the new log. Let's start Monday, 10/26, since I was planning that anyway. You're 9 or 10 hours ahead of me? I know I'm 8 hours behind my friend in England.

The weekly goal is going to be a learning curve--I think I'm going to set daily goals for just this first week to see how it plays out and what I can get done. The 6 Week Challenge starts next Sunday, so hopefully I'll have the weekly goals sorted by then.

Ok, that's a good approach. Week one is an experiment, a test run. :-) I'll do a list of weekly goals, not sorted day by day (but the 30 minutes a day stay, that's the most important part. I just don't like to plan too rigidly which 30 minutes will be spent on what)

I am in the same time zone as England, I think. We've had a winter savings time change recently, so I am now rather confused.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:54 pm

I just did a lengthy placement test from DW. It says that I fully passed the A1 and should be taking courses for A2. :P

But here's the problem--the only questions that I got wrong on the A1 were where someone was speaking (hotel, airport, etc.) and I was supposed to glean from it the room number, flight time, etc. I listened to each short recording multiple times and got the answer wrong on almost all of them.

So my reading and grammar are ready for A2, but my listening comprehension is still in the dumps.

I also took the test for A2, but there were a lot more questions based on listening comprehension and I was getting them all wrong, so I bailed.

I was looking at the DW German classes, and they seem to put a lot of emphasis on listening comprehension, so I'm going to take the time I've been using on GermanPod (that I'm still totally iffy is even helping) and do DW courses and hopefully improve my comprehension. I'm starting one tomorrow and then will re-access after the challenge is over.
8 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Ok, my apologies to GermanPod, but Rocket German is kind of the same thing and 1000x better.

I've been struggling with GermanPod for what seems like forever. I listen to the conversation more than once, I listen to the commentary where they go over the conversation line by line and at the end, I just click "completed" and move on. I must have learned something, right?

I recently started Rocket German. I started at the beginning, thinking to skip through until I got to where it seemed like my level was. Ok, they do the conversation, then go through it line by line. Then they do flashcards of every word in the conversation. Then voice recognition for every word. Then a quiz of every word. Then you go through the conversation again, role-playing first one person, then the other, again with voice recognition. You don't get out of that conversation until you absolutely know it. That's learning. At least to me. I decided not to skip ahead because I'm seriously working on speaking. Never knew I was dropping the final "r" on words until now.

I started Nico's Weg today, from Deutsche Welle. Again, I was going to skip ahead--but this course is all about listening comprehension, my super poor area. They have a video/conversation, and you go over and over it, listening for words and phrases to answer the questions, exactly what I need. The pronunciation part is lame--you say the word out loud and then rate your own pronunciation, but that's ok. They also have one called Mission Berlin I want to look at.

So, for the 1st day of the Challenge, and the official 1st day of my 14-months to German B1 challenge--looking good.
3 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 am

CarlyD wrote:I just did a lengthy placement test from DW. It says that I fully passed the A1 and should be taking courses for A2. :P

But here's the problem--the only questions that I got wrong on the A1 were where someone was speaking (hotel, airport, etc.) and I was supposed to glean from it the room number, flight time, etc. I listened to each short recording multiple times and got the answer wrong on almost all of them.

Then maybe consider going through the video and exercises only in A1. They have a number of listening comprehension exercises. You can glance at the other exercises and see if you want to do them or not. It generally take me about 15-20 minutes to listen to the video and go through the exercises in the sub-unit. The number and type of exercises vary a bit. Some are just having you speak or answer questions and then rating yourself on how you sounded.

Edit ... I see that's what you're doing. I responded to the Saturday post before reading today's post. :oops:
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Yesterday I hit a full year with doing Memrise every single day--366 days (due to Leap Year.)

I thought there'd at least be a party. :P

Oh well, on to Year 2.
6 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Sad day. I ended my auto-renewal to GermanPod. I keep complaining about it, but honestly if it had renewed at the same rate ($108 for two years for premium) I probably would have done it and kept trying. But they said $240. Nope.

I'm working on Chapter 10 in my main textbook, German Step by Step. Finishing Datives and getting into Modals. So I'm working through the pages and doing the exercises and suddenly thought--this seems too easy.

Dare I say that I'm getting better?

So I pulled out my Practice Makes Perfect Intermediate German Grammar that I bought hoping for "someday" and starting looking through. And it looked easy too.

This is getting scary. :P
4 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Still doing well on my 14-Months to B1 project for German.

But a couple of days ago, I was looking around on Amazon--always dangerous. They handle languages in a somewhat casual manner--buy a book on German verbs? Here's on for Italian you might like. Same thing, right? Makes me crazy when I just want to see German.

They have a book--looks like for kids--that's a Russian alphabet workbook. It shows you letter by letter how to both print and write each letter, and what it sounds like. Hmmmm..... Russian has been on my far-off bucket list for awhile, but honestly if I were going to reach for another language it should be Slovenian, which I could at least use for genealogy and far-flung family.

But Russian intrigues me. I still watch the stupid driver videos on Youtube and many clips are from Russia and I'd like to at least be able to read some of the signs I see. I guess there's worse reasons for learning a language than Youtube videos.

So the little workbook is sitting in my Amazon basket--for now.

And now back to German separable verbs.
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:43 pm

CarlyD wrote:Still doing well on my 14-Months to B1 project for German.

But a couple of days ago, I was looking around on Amazon--always dangerous. They handle languages in a somewhat casual manner--buy a book on German verbs? Here's on for Italian you might like. Same thing, right? Makes me crazy when I just want to see German.

That's not casual, that's dangerously clever, meant to tap into our bad habits. They know many language learners can't stick to one language. :-D

You're doing great!!! I'll try my best to catch up
2 x

Return to “Language logs”