More Korean than Japanese in 2022 - 2023

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Re: Back to Korean for 2021

Postby kraemder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 pm

First weekend of the year. In the second half of December I tried writing down vocabulary words in a notebook and found this to be a great way to focus on vocabulary while still immersing. I think I was onto something but I noticed that, big shocker, I was still forgetting a lot of the words I wrote down if I didn't review them constantly. So I tried mixing SRS with the notebook. It wasn't bad but then as is typical I started getting lazy and it kind of comes down to one or the other because I just don't have energy for both. Well it depends on my mood and weekends I generally have energy for anything. This week I was leaning towards SRS and adding words and sentences to my Flash Cards Deluxe deck. This week I'm going to try going back to the notebook and writing stuff down more again. The recent events in the news with the political violence etc in the capitol have been really distracting. I will be so happy when the transition is over and hopefully government news is boring and I can just go back to ignoring it.

I'm not having so much success with iTalki tutors. The Japanese tutor I had one free talk lesson with cancelled on me a couple days before the lesson for personal reasons. I am sure there are good reasons for cancelling a lesson but from my experience it's not a one time thing there's going to be a reason to cancel again and it probably will be very common. I really liked talking to her but I'll not be signing up with her again. I kind of am thinking iTalki tutors just aren't reliable at the moment but I haven't given up yet. That and I have an account balance that I should spend. I booked a lesson with a German tutor for tomorrow. I had another tutor say that she preferred lessons booked in advance so she could prepare etc., but somehow I think that if I book lessons not in advance but within the next couple of days, the tutor is less likely to cancel. Maybe? Anyway. I am going to look for other services that offer tutoring/conversation practice besides iTalki. I am pretty sure that the Chinese teacher for my online college class on Zoom really wanted to cancel some days, particularly the first day when she couldn't even open a PDF file properly, but she ALWAYS showed up on time. She was super consistent and took her job seriously even if teaching over Zoom was really weird for her. Right now I really respect her for that. I will say that in my experience older teachers cancel less. I can't even remember a teacher over say 40 years old about ever cancelling on me.

I was looking for online Korean classes. As an upper beginner I'm not so advanced by any means that it should be too hard to find a class.. maybe. I have two semesters worth of Korean under my belt about. My self studies have maybe increased my vocabulary but my grammar only a little. Absorbing grammar through immersion is really slow. It doesn't help that so far I really can't look up grammar patterns I see while reading very well. I just try to understand from the context.

I really like writing entries here and I think it helps me stay focused on studying and think things through. I sometimes wonder if doing this in a foreign language would be more useful. Robin's new website Journaly kind of made me think about that again. There's definitely pros and cons to writing my language log in a target language vs English. If I write in English it will help me improve my English (contrary to what foreigners think, my English needs practice too), more people will read it, and I can better think things through instead of getting too caught up in how to say relatively simple things. If I write in a foreign language then it will undoubtedly improve that language which is kind of the whole point in the first place.
5 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:28 am

kraemder wrote:I really like writing entries here and I think it helps me stay focused on studying and think things through. I sometimes wonder if doing this in a foreign language would be more useful. Robin's new website Journaly kind of made me think about that again. There's definitely pros and cons to writing my language log in a target language vs English. If I write in English it will help me improve my English (contrary to what foreigners think, my English needs practice too), more people will read it, and I can better think things through instead of getting too caught up in how to say relatively simple things. If I write in a foreign language then it will undoubtedly improve that language which is kind of the whole point in the first place.

I found it to be kind of pointless to keep a log in my target language (Highly time consuming causing me to put off updating the log, no audience to read it more or less removing the feeling of public commitment towards my goals). But, maybe there is a way to find a happy compromise... shorter logs in target language maybe? Something for me to think about as well.
2 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:06 am

devilyoudont wrote:
kraemder wrote:I really like writing entries here and I think it helps me stay focused on studying and think things through. I sometimes wonder if doing this in a foreign language would be more useful. Robin's new website Journaly kind of made me think about that again. There's definitely pros and cons to writing my language log in a target language vs English. If I write in English it will help me improve my English (contrary to what foreigners think, my English needs practice too), more people will read it, and I can better think things through instead of getting too caught up in how to say relatively simple things. If I write in a foreign language then it will undoubtedly improve that language which is kind of the whole point in the first place.

I found it to be kind of pointless to keep a log in my target language (Highly time consuming causing me to put off updating the log, no audience to read it more or less removing the feeling of public commitment towards my goals). But, maybe there is a way to find a happy compromise... shorter logs in target language maybe? Something for me to think about as well.

Yeah if you do it on Lang-8 you will usually get corrections if nothing else. I don't know how encouraging that is though. A lot of the time they reply in English and all they do is tell you what you did wrong and don't say anything else. I don't know what's going to happen with Journaly. It's basically Lang-8 but with a different name as far as I can tell but maybe it'll turn out differently.

People studying English have it easy I think. It's the language of the Internet so of course they're just increasing their audience by writing in English.
2 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Well the i-Talki German lesson didn't work out because she cancelled. Seriously. I'm fed up with i-Talki and I'm wondering why so many people recommend it. I'm going to look for some alternatives to get my German speaking practice in.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 am

Listen to This Post

I really liked this short article on using extensive reading to learn a language. Yeah, I'm still learning languages. I kept thinking I would just stop after learning Japanese and relax and enjoy life. But no. I think I'm stuck learning languages for life. From my own experience I think that the numbers are roughly true but it doesn't take into account how distant your target language is from your native language. I'm pretty sure that an English speaker learning Japanese or Chinese is going to have to read more books than if they were reading Spanish. Anyway, it's interesting. I'm going to try learning Korean according this this method. So far I've read Harry Potter book one. One book down, 91 more to go.

https://linguapath.com/learn-language-through-reading/#:~:text=Instead%2C%20aim%20to%20cover%2C%20say,which%20is%20more%20than%20manageable.
2 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:36 am

LISTEN TO ME READ THIS

Well, this month has not been so productive on the language learning front. At first I did really well and plowed through most of Harry Potter Book 2 (in Korean). I read it dual language style. I used an app to make a kindle file with Google translated English on the left, and the Korean human translation on the right. Google did a surprisingly good job on the translation if you forgive it getting confused about the subject from time to time since Korean omits it. I really enjoyed reading it on my new Kindle Oasis with the new (to me) soft light feature which makes it feel more like you're looking at a book. Kind of like if you turn off the light completely on the older models. Obviously not a must have feature unless you have about $300.00 lying around and you're bored. I'm pleased with it even if I definitely didn't need it.

I got back into reading English on the Kindle. I read books like Will Durant's Our Oriental Heritage (well, part of it, it's really big) and finally I got into the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I've been a big fan of his since he was selected to finish the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordon. Anyway, so you could say I brushed up on my English. All of your languages, including your native language, need love, and I didn't give English much love while I was studying Japanese. Since I came back to the States I've been slightly better but I need to make a conscious effort to include it I think. I know when I do language exchanges if my Netflix recommendations are several years out of date it's a bit embarrassing.

So I was thinking this is a big reason SRS apps like Anki are so great for learning languages. At least for someone like me who tends to binge more than doing things consistently if left to my own devices, having this habit of doing my reps every day I think does wonders. What I wouldn't give however to be able to go back and see just how the heck did I learn German in the first place without classes, SRS, or any system whatsoever. Just WHAT did I do? It's too long ago I can't remember :| . Well I had been ignoring Anki thinking it's not such a good tool but I totally think otherwise at the moment. I know I won't make any fast gains with Anki, like I -might- make with immersion, but neither will I be in a situation now where I'm thinking, these past three weeks.. no Korean to show for it at all.

The Anki decks I'm working on right now are: Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita (I feel like Evita's Anki decks have helped numerous people in their Korean studies just like TTMIK has), Korean Vocabulary by Evita, and The One Deck (a monster of a deck from Jalup). I am making free use of an Anki add on to add images to each card and another add on to add Google Cloud TTS also to any card that doesn't have native audio. My goal is about an hour of Anki per day. I definitely think immersion is far more effective for learning but forcing myself to immerse when I'm not in the mood, and immersing in English is just as necessary anyway (in moderation). If I can find interesting stuff that is fun then that will feel less forced of course. I don't mind a challenge, like reading something that's difficult for me, in the short term. But for something to be fun and really maintainable, it would have to be similar to Japanese anime. By nature it's not very intellectual, but it's still enjoyable, and there's always new stuff coming out.

Although I love my new Kindle Oasis, I also noticed that my eyes got tired, reading speed went down a bit, and concentration also decreased after a couple of weeks. I've noticed this about me in the past and if I am trying to do mass input the best solution is using computer text to speech. My (crappy) eyes don't get tired no matter if I quarantine myself in my apartment reading all day, all night, and continuing like that for days on end. It's a shame the kindle doesn't have a decent TTS option (there's a feature built in for people who legit can't see and need it for everything, including all the menus etc.) so I've been reading books on my iPhone instead using the app Voice Dream Reader. I tried increasing the font size on my Kindle even though I can technically read any of the smaller font sizes it has, and this seemed to help some, but didn't eliminate the problem the way I wanted it to. I did only go up to 6 point font though maybe I should have pushed it to crazy big sizes? Anyway.

I was using HelloTalk today and stumbled on this Japanese lady who described herself as a radio personality. It turns out that's a little bit of an exaggeration but in a good way. She records 10 minute episodes of her rambling about language learning and Japanese I guess on radiotalk.jp and posts it on HelloTalk. I grabbed the radiotalk.jp app on the app store and there's tons and tons of free material all recorded by native Japanese speakers just talking about their lives or other topics and it's wonderful. I am a big fan of YouTube and it seems a lot like that but no video. No video is fine - it makes them focus more on the language. I'm told it's not just Japanese but most languages too so I'm eager to check that out more. I think it would be great for my German and Spanish. I would love to use it for Korean but my Korean is still so bad that it feels like a waste. Oh, I also just grabbed a book on the Kindle store. It's called Conversational Korean Dialogues and is pretty cheap at about $5.00 for the Kindle version. It has about 101 dialogues and short stories with English translations. I haven't seen any grammar or vocabulary or anything so far just the dialogues in Korean and English. I wouldn't mind a bit of vocabulary but I'm very happy with it. A problem with many textbooks is that they try to do everything. But when I study, I never want to do everything. I usually just want to read some stories/dialogues or work on some vocabulary maybe and once in a while a bit of grammar. It makes the textbooks frustrating and clumsy for my purposes and is probably why I never get very far with them unless I'm in a class.

And you may have noticed the hyper link above to listen to me reading this entry. Let me know if you find it at all useful. I'm thinking anyone learning English would love to have the option to listen but most people here are native English speakers or really advanced.
3 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 pm

LISTEN TO THIS HERE.

Well I guess nobody found the audio blog version so useful since I didn't get any responses on that. I found it useful to catch up on what I said last before writing this entry at least. You can adjust the playback speed. I listened to it at 1.5X which is a nice speed I find for listening to language blogs on YouTube.

So the last entry was a mix of me studying Korean and me reading English books instead. This time I didn't read any English books but for a few weeks I did play WoW almost every day. Being isolated in my apartment due to this corona virus thing gets to me sometimes and that game is one social outlet available. But then I got a comment on my YouTube channel asking for an update on my Korean and I decided to get back into Korean because months down the road I know I'd be kicking myself if I didn't. Even if I did have some good memories playing games.

So I felt rusty and routineless. I didn't really know where to begin. I decided to go start with Anki and did that for almost a week before trying to read in Korean again. It seemed like easing myself back into and doing something like Anki which is very habit forming was a good approach. I started reading Korean using Riki which is an app that links with the Naver dictionary. It's really slow however - I think more slow because my iPad (2019 regular iPad) uses an older chip (I think from iPhone 7?). But also because the Naver dictionary isn't local but online and it has to queue Korea every time I lookup a word. With the amount of words I was looking up I figured maybe LingQ was a better choice after even if it isn't free and has its own flaws. I restarted my subscription and I'm happier on LingQ for now. Even with all the words being color coded while I read it feels more immersive. I've been reading some on there but not steadily every day which is why I'm glad I have Anki to keep me consistent and moving forward at least some.

Regarding Anki, as I was getting back into it and decided what worked best for me in the long run, I thought about sentence decks vs vocabulary decks. The AJATTers or any subsets of them are so pro sentence cards that it's kind of hard to say otherwise but my personal experience is that they don't work as well as vocabulary cards for me. Reviewing a sentence card just takes more mental energy and I can't get myself to do it every day. But I have a couple good sentence decks and a couple good vocabulary decks so I was thinking fine, let's just do both. Which is what I've been doing until today.

Today I finally made a change I was contemplating for a while. You may have heard the piece of advice: "Just learn grammar the way you learn vocabulary." Well, according to AJATTers, thats probably going to mean immersion and then Anki sentence cards. But like I said I've found that sentence cards just don't work for me. And yet for some reason, because grammar, even more than vocabulary one would think, is dependent on sentences, you should use a sentence card to review. Well, I was thinking if that's not (really) how I review vocabulary then why would I do it that way for grammar? I went into my Korean deck today and changed it up so I just see the isolated grammar on side one and then side 2 has the explanation including a sentence with translation. Reviewing it seemed a lot easier and something I could do for a longer period of time without wasting a ton of willpower. And maybe it even sticks in my head better because I'm more focused on that little grammar point rather than this entire sentence which has a lot of parts.

I'm really hoping this small change will have a big impact on my grammar. Of course, no matter what I do, my grammar is slowly getting better. I know many people have a breakthrough moment or so it seems and then they tend to credit whatever activity they were doing right before they had the breakthrough moment when in fact it was likely just that it took them X amount of time and time was (finally) up. I'm a big proponent of time spent studying rather than how you study. As long as what you're doing can be counted as "studying".

I also tried switching up my WoW experience a little. As I've mentioned before in my blog, there is an official Korean version of the game and I would assume the translation is very professional. I've tried it in the past and it seemed like a good study experience at first but later I ended up switching the client to English. Well, I like playing this game using two separate characters even though it's a one person game. And I found that it's not too hard to set it up so one game/character is in Korean and the other in English. Switching back and forth between the two is very seamless and keeps me engaged and not so frustrated with the Korean. They use a LOT of new vocabulary in the game and frankly it was giving me a headache. I even used some screenshots to start a WoW Anki deck. But I let my subscription lapse and so I haven't pursued this option much. I think reading on LingQ is probably better anyway. But if I get lonely or whatever I may go back to giving this a try. I'm pretty frustrated that you can't play Korean MMO's online unless you have a Korean social security number for some reason. I guess Korea isn't the only country that does this but it's the only country that I know which does. It's very frustrating.

And I am trying out iTalki again. Well, the way they set it up so you have money in your account and it just sits there unless you spend it encourages you not to quit I think. I had many bad experiences last year with tutors agreeing to a lesson time only to cancel the day of the lesson. iTalki has all these warnings about how students can't ever do this under any circumstances or they lose their lesson fee and there's no way to get it back. But they don't have anything setup for when the teacher does this and it's actually very common. I'm sure the reasons vary from teachers just not taking this job very seriously and just not being in the mood, maybe burning out because giving lessons all day is tiring, or maybe some sudden family emergency came up (but this should be rare). I will say that when you sign up for a class like through a university the teacher almost never misses a class. I've taken many many classes over the years and only a couple of times did the teacher cancel and you knew it was not because they weren't in the mood and just didn't want to teach right then.

So I'll stop ranting there. I specifically looked for a tutor that looked reliable - maybe someone who reminded me of an actual school professor. I figured I should probably pick someone a little older and maybe someone who charges more (although I've found that in itself isn't enough). I've had two lessons now with this tutor and they've gone really well and I feel very confident that she won't cancel because she'd rather relax or go hang out with a friend. It seems like she takes the lessons seriously. I'm doing the lessons after work so I'm generally a bit tired when I do the lesson which can't really be helped. I let her know my background and frankly she's doing material that's a bit too easy for me but at the same time I'm pretty happy with it because I am tired after work and review isn't so bad. Her English is excellent and we speak mostly English. I don't think she would mind speaking Korean at all (some teachers really want to use the lesson as a chance to practice their English) but just doesn't think I'd understand or want her to speak too much Korean. In a way she's right with that but now that I'm a few weeks back into studying Korean I think I owe it to myself to push myself more so I'll ask her to speak more Korean. I also signed up with a couple more tutors who are a little cheaper - about $15 an hour instead of $27 an hour. I'm hoping they don't cancel or anything. I was thinking of having a weekend tutor and then a weekday tutor. If the lessons are a bit on the easier side then I could definitely do more than one lesson per week. If that lesson is pretty exhausting I think I'd rather keep it to once a week. And if I have at least one tutor who's reliable I wouldn't mind so much if the other tutor(s) weren't.

So I haven't tried speaking too much with her, I have tried a little. Japanese is mixing into my Korean when I try to talk which is what I expected. I feel so bad about it. I've met a lot of Japanese people who seem to like it when they mix English into their Japanese (allegedly without realizing it) but I think this sort of thing is awful. When I first came back to America I actually mixed some Japanese into my English a little (just a little mind you) and I found it embarrassing. To be fair the person I was talking to had no idea what was going on and didn't call me out on it but I knew. It makes me feel old and dumb. Like going to get something but when you walk away forgetting what was or calling someone by someone else's name.
3 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:12 pm

It's been a while since I posted entries quickly right after another. I just had my first lesson today (Sunday) with a new tutor and I wanted to talk about it a little. She looked a little more mature than the some of the other teachers and sure enough she seemed very interested in teaching the lesson. I think I also picked her because she just seemed like a nice person in her video which was all in Korean. After I picked her, I saw that she had indicated that she spoke German and Japanese at high intermediate level but English at a low level. Self grading your foreign language level is very subjective and difficult but I figured that her German and Japanese were probably noticeably better than her English at least. My Korean is very hit and miss even with experienced teachers used to speaking to foreigners (I've only had a few lessons from Korean teachers who actually taught in Korean and no other speaking opportunities) so I figure we'd lapse into another language but I wasn't sure what it would be.

I booked the lesson about 20 hours in advance so she didn't have huge amounts of time to prepare but still some time. To me, even new teachers really shouldn't spend huge amounts of time preparing although I know some do. It makes me feel guilty because the lesson isn't that expensive. I wrote her a short message explaining I'd studied a lot of Japanese and tend to mix it up with Korean and I was an upper beginner in Korean. In English. She didn't have a good idea of my level so she messaged me back asking for more details on how I studied. I explained I had two semesters of Korean a couple years ago and have been studying alone on and off since. She then wondered if we should just start at the beginning. I said no - let's start with third semester Korean which would be A2 or maybe B1. Still too general so she just asked how about we start with "명사 + 을/를"? I wasn't sure exactly what that was. I was thinking maybe "while" or something and just said sure let's do it. Well the lesson was just how to use the object particle which is maybe the 2nd or third week of an introductory Korean class if you include learning hangul. Total beginner. I think I confused 명사 with 면서. I am pretty sure 명사 is just the korean word for direct object.

So we went through some slides using very simple vocabulary and grammar. Very simple. But she was just as friendly as I expected and she taught using Korean and of course when I made example sentences I could use any grammar I wanted if it made sense. But my Korean has huge gaps. I did end up speaking a lot of Japanese just to make sure we were on the same page and for some small talk where I couldn't use the Korean. I was shocked that utterly didn't know some really basic Japanese grammar but other grammar was ok. I guess I figured that her being Asian and Korean being so close to Japanese that she would have this giant advantage over me and speak better Japanese than me. That really wasn't the case at all.

I'll probably take another lesson with her because I enjoyed it but I'll maybe pick out a grammar point to work on myself and send that to her for next time. When people learn a language their reading I think charges so far ahead of their listening and speaking that it's very difficult for teachers to figure out just what level someone is. I have another lesson this afternoon with another teacher. It seems she speaks a very high level of English though which means communicating won't be an issue at all.
3 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:52 pm

The past week was ok. As per my previous posts, I did several iTalki lessons last weekend and this weekend I'm just doing my own thing. I have been really pushing myself to read more but I find the only time I really focus is right before bed and that's obviously not a huge amount of time. Maybe an hour tops. Not too terrible but I'm not going to make any big break through like that. But while reading is just too painful when you can't focus, I think it's easier to really make yourself listen to Korean. You can just have it playing in the background even when you're doing anything that isn't too mentally intensive (like working..). I bought another Korean audio book on the Google Play Store and I like the narrator. I don't know what the book is about. It had a high star rating and the sample narration sounded like something I could spend a lot of time listening to. I find I can pick out lots of words in this book which is more than any other listening material for natives so far so that's good but it's mostly just words - I'm not following whole sentences and understanding the gist of what's going on. Just keywords sometimes. But the idea is to get a lot more listening practice to compensate for my inability to read for longer periods of time. I also tried turning off the subtitles on a k-drama I started watching - Voice. But I got too interested in the plot and had to turn them on. I was thinking if I tried watching a plotless k-drama like a love story then I wouldn't mind not understanding anything. Of course, I wouldn't be as interested in listening either.

I also found a nice radio station to listen to: KBS World. I've only been listening to it since this morning so I need more time to really know but it seems really similar to the Deutsche Welle for German (or what was the Deutsche Welle, I haven't listened to it in years and years). Namely a radio/podcast station for Korean content made for Koreans living around the world. It includes a variety of stuff from news, to music, to culture shows, and interviews. You can go in and manually pick the shows/podcasts to listen to or just click one of the radio channels and let them choose for you. This is what makes me so happy about it. I don't want to have to go in and pick something else to listen to whenever a show ends. It's too annoying. It seems to just repeat the latest podcast shows for all the categories. I've listened to a few repeated shows already. I hope they refresh it daily (at least some of them). It would be ok if they repeated shows throughout the week while introducing new shows too throughout the week. That is how the Deutsche Welle worked and it was great for a learner like me to get some repeated listening in but no in a way that made me want to die of boredom. They also broadcast on shortwave radio just like the Deutsche Welle did (who uses short wave radio these days? I almost want to get one though just to scan it for great content like this).
3 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 pm

kraemder wrote:The past week was ok. As per my previous posts, I did several iTalki lessons last weekend and this weekend I'm just doing my own thing. I have been really pushing myself to read more but I find the only time I really focus is right before bed and that's obviously not a huge amount of time. Maybe an hour tops. Not too terrible but I'm not going to make any big break through like that. But while reading is just too painful when you can't focus, I think it's easier to really make yourself listen to Korean. You can just have it playing in the background even when you're doing anything that isn't too mentally intensive (like working..). I bought another Korean audio book on the Google Play Store and I like the narrator. I don't know what the book is about. It had a high star rating and the sample narration sounded like something I could spend a lot of time listening to. I find I can pick out lots of words in this book which is more than any other listening material for natives so far so that's good but it's mostly just words - I'm not following whole sentences and understanding the gist of what's going on. Just keywords sometimes. But the idea is to get a lot more listening practice to compensate for my inability to read for longer periods of time. I also tried turning off the subtitles on a k-drama I started watching - Voice. But I got too interested in the plot and had to turn them on. I was thinking if I tried watching a plotless k-drama like a love story then I wouldn't mind not understanding anything. Of course, I wouldn't be as interested in listening either.

I also found a nice radio station to listen to: KBS World. I've only been listening to it since this morning so I need more time to really know but it seems really similar to the Deutsche Welle for German (or what was the Deutsche Welle, I haven't listened to it in years and years). Namely a radio/podcast station for Korean content made for Koreans living around the world. It includes a variety of stuff from news, to music, to culture shows, and interviews. You can go in and manually pick the shows/podcasts to listen to or just click one of the radio channels and let them choose for you. This is what makes me so happy about it. I don't want to have to go in and pick something else to listen to whenever a show ends. It's too annoying. It seems to just repeat the latest podcast shows for all the categories. I've listened to a few repeated shows already. I hope they refresh it daily (at least some of them). It would be ok if they repeated shows throughout the week while introducing new shows too throughout the week. That is how the Deutsche Welle worked and it was great for a learner like me to get some repeated listening in but no in a way that made me want to die of boredom. They also broadcast on shortwave radio just like the Deutsche Welle did (who uses short wave radio these days? I almost want to get one though just to scan it for great content like this).

have you tried condensed audio for korean dramas so you can get relistening in etc without the time sink since they don't even talk half the time in dramas. there's a lotta staring and background music etc. just google condensed audio korean if you don't want to deal with making it yourself.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”