Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:30 pm

It’s been a while again since I last wrote. I guess I sort of lost steam there for a while. I was studying, but stuff just stopped sticking and I got very frustrated and studied less and less. And then my foster cat, whom I loved so much and had been hoping to adopt myself when my boyfriend got his residence permit, got adopted and I was very upset and even a little depressed for a while. I stopped studying altogether for a couple of weeks and just read, surfed the net, and watched a bit of TV. This past week things have been a bit better though. I’ve started doing mediyoga, a type of yoga developed in Sweden and used for reducing stress and as part of the treatment of various medical conditions. And I’ve also gotten back to studying and I guess I needed a short break because my brain seems to have processed all that stuff I was having trouble with and Turkish seems much easier at the moment. I obviously haven’t made much visible progress, but I did get a little further along in the Babbel course, I did some Anki and added another chapter or so from TY to my deck, and I finally got around to starting the A2 level of the Istanbul textbook and workbook series.

Turkish progress

finished
Language Transfer: Intro to Turkish
Memrise official courses: 1-7 (ie all of them)
Turkish Teatime Podcasts
Mango
İstanbul: Yabancılar için Türkçe -- A1
Türkçe Öğreniyoruz 1
Babbel: (levels: Newcomer, Beginner I & II, Words and Sentences)
Teach Yourself Turkish

in progress/starting soon
Babbel - Grammar: 86 / 100
Babbel - Specials: 80 / 100
Assimil - passive: 25 / 71
Assimil - active: 0 / 71
FSI: 18 / 50
Türkçe Öğreniyoruz 2: 8 / 10
A Student Grammar of Turkish: 4 / 40
İstanbul -- Yabancılar için Türkçe -- A2: 0 / 6
8 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm

I’m still working mainly on Turkish, but as I start to get into a better routine, I’m thinking of adding other languages back in a bit more. I’ve sort of gotten into a routine where I get up and do some yoga and meditation in the morning before I do anything else. I think that is helping a bit with the stress. I’m also using Habitica again to help me make sure I do all the stuff I want to do each day, but I’m trying to be careful not to add in new tasks too quickly.

I had a few weeks there where my brain just completely rejected Turkish. It felt like I didn’t know anything, and then suddenly things started to come together again and I made another leap forward. Peppa Pig has become very clear now. Before, I could understand sentences, phrases, words and occasionally most of an episode, but then one day, I could suddenly and consistently understand almost everything of episode after episode. So, I tried Caillou, and I understood almost everything there too. Unfortunately, interesting shows are still beyond me.

I’ve finished all the units of Babbel now, so I’m just going to keep reviewing until my subscription runs out or I feel like I know everything as well as I can. I don’t seem to have been doing anything will Assimil in a long time. It was getting a bit heavy at one point and I dropped it, but it’s probably much easier again now. Maybe I’ll try to work it into my schedule again sometime soon. I’m making pretty good progress with the İstanbul textbook. It would be better with a teacher or in a class, but it’s OK alone too. I’ve finished adding all the example sentences from Teach Yourself into Anki and have reviewed almost all of them now. It’s really helping me to internalize the grammar and structures. I’m also using Clozemaster and Glossika regularly and they help in much the same way. I’ve started going through Hugo’s Turkish in 3 months and I’m adding the example sentences to Anki as I go this time. I’ll try to go through it fairly quickly since it probably covers much of the same ground as TY, but even in the beginning chapters, there are things explained differently and details mentioned that weren’t mentioned in any of my earlier courses, so I’m finding it useful.

My boyfriend has been a bit stressed and down lately. We thought that he might be allowed into the Norwegian class at the school because the teacher wanted to let him in even though he isn’t living in the asylum and doesn’t currently have any right to courses, but the principal said no. We also thought he was going to get a job because there have been several jobs that it seemed he was going to get, but then didn’t. So, he is very frustrated. And his frustration tends to rub off onto me. I wish he could get a residence permit soon so he could go back to school, but they are taking a very long time. It seems they take much longer with Kurdish people then certain other groups. I had been thinking of trying to find a tutor on Italki and take some lessons while my boyfriend was at school, but since he won’t be at school, I’m going to either have to find a way to do it while he’s here in the house, or put it off a little longer. It really shouldn’t be a problem to do it with him here, I just have to get used to the idea and probably remind him every time not to disturb me.

Turkish progress

finished
Language Transfer: Intro to Turkish
Memrise official courses: 1-7 (ie all of them)
Turkish Teatime Podcasts
Mango
İstanbul: Yabancılar için Türkçe -- A1
Türkçe Öğreniyoruz 1
Babbel: (all units)
Teach Yourself Turkish

in progress/starting soon
Assimil - passive: 25 / 71
Assimil - active: 0 / 71
FSI: 18 / 50
Türkçe Öğreniyoruz 2: 8 / 10
A Student Grammar of Turkish: 4 / 40