Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:28 am

Kurmanji
Let’s talk about prepositions, postpositions and circumpositions. Kurmanji has them all and it looks complicated. Before reading the following, note that I only vaguely know what I’m talking about. My knowledge of Kurmanji grammar is still very limited and I’m basically just making notes to help me learn. My understanding will probably be continually refined as I read more textbooks and grammars.

First some basic prepositions:

bi- with, by, through, by means of
bê- without
cem- similar to French chez
ji- from
li- in, at, on
di (always functions as part of a circumposition)- in, at

These are often followed by a second preposition or a noun to give the full meaning of the preposition. Here are a few prepositions that sometimes combine with the ones above:
ber- in front of, before, toward; (weather, conditions, etc) in, under
bin- under, below
navbeyna- between, among
paş- behind, after, afterward
ser- on

There is often a sort of particle that comes as a postposition. These are used together with a preposition to make a circumposition.
de- gives a sense of stationary position (usually)
re- gives a sense of togetherness
ve- gives a sense of getting away

So, putting them together, we get, for example:
bi … re- with, together with
ji … re- for, to
di … de- in
di bin … de- under, below (no motion)
di bin … re- downward, under, below (motion toward)
ji bin- from under, from below
ji bin … ve- underneath (motion through)

Etc, etc. There seem to be millions of them in all sorts of combinations. Note also that the noun forming the object of the preposition is in the oblique case. It’s all a bit complicated and I think I’m going to have to see loads of examples to get the hang of it. Fortunately, the next topic is comparatives and superlatives, which looks pretty easy.

In other news, Google Translate continues to amuse me. Today I learned: “Horses are generally sexist.” If you don’t know what a horse is, Google Translate tells me, “It is a substance that is similar to lentils and is especially used for apnea.” My own translation of the definition seems a bit boring after that, “It is a beast of burden, similar to a donkey, but bigger, and characteristically used for riding.” I wonder which of us is right. Also, how can Google be so far off? It’s not even vaguely close! The only parts it got right were, “similar to” and “especially used for”. The main substance of the sentence was way off.

Turkish
I have two exciting bits of news in Turkish. Firstly, yesterday, I corrected my boyfriend’s Turkish! :shock: He was trying to figure out how to say something in Norwegian and had written it in Turkish into Google Translate. Google isn’t perfect for Turkish either, but it is a lot better at Turkish than at Kurmanji. Anyway, the Norwegian was coming out all wrong. To me, it seemed like he’d written one of the words wrong so I asked if he was sure the Turkish was right. He was, but I was still unconvinced. Eventually, I tried to see if I could correct the word I thought was wrong, and when I did, the Norwegian translation was suddenly perfect. He had written “norveç’e” (to Norway) instead of “norveççe” (Norwegian). To be fair, when I tried to fix it, his phone tried to autocorrect back to “norveç’e”, but I could see the word at the top of the screen where it says the names of the languages being translated to and from.

The other exciting thing happened on Friday, when I could suddenly understand Peppa Pig. It was like someone flipped a switch and it was suddenly in a language I halfway understand. Before that, I only caught individual words and the occasional short sentence or phrase that I already know. Things like “How are you?” or “See you later,” that get repeated a lot and that I know from various courses. But on Friday, suddenly large portions of the show became clear. I watched a few episodes yesterday too, and they were still pretty clear. I don’t understand every word, but I do understand often several sentences in a row and often most of an episode except for longish sentences and some words I don’t know but can often guess when I understand the rest of the sentence. I think Friday was generally a good day for listening comprehension for me, because everything I listened to, also in other languages, seemed a bit easier than usual.

As far as studying goes, I’m almost finished unit 7 of Teach Yourself. I find it difficult and frustrating going through the exercises because I can never remember what the words mean. TY never gives you translations of the dialogues and expects you to remember every word you’ve ever seen in any dialogue or exercises, so they never give you the definitions again after the first time. It’s OK in a transparent language, but I just find it frustrating in Turkish. I also hate the way the audios waste a bunch of time on lots of bla-bla-bla in English and are rather low quality with lots of background noise. It’s supposed to be like real life, but on an audio for language learning, I want to hear everything clearly for imitation purposes. Listening comprehension, I can get from YouTube or someplace. The TY course I have for Croatian is even worse because one of the voice actors they got seems to have chronic laryngitis or something. :lol:

Japanese
Satori Reader has two versions of each episode of the series I’m going through. So far, I’ve been doing first the easy and then the hard version and using my complete method on both. (That is, I review the episode from my last session by just listening through. Then I do the current episode by first listening; then listening while reading; then listening, reading, and shadowing each sentence individually and checking definitions, notes and the translation; shadowing the whole episode; and finally listening through once more. Then I preview the next day’s episode by just listening to it once or twice.) Anyway, since I do both the easy and the hard version of each, this means I’m basically doing the same episode over two days and it’s a little boring. The last couple of easy episodes didn’t seem so challenging for me, so I’m thinking of just doing the hard versions and maybe skipping the easy versions altogether, or possibly just listening to them and not doing anything more with them. I do feel my Japanese has improved a little even with this minimal amount of work though. In the beginning, the easy versions seemed hard enough to me.
11 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Re: Brun Ugle comes clean: Confessions of a wayward owl (NO/ES/DE/JA/FR/PL/TR/KMR/BCS)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm

I know. I disappeared again. December was a bit tough. I actually took a break from the forum, and for a couple of weeks, even from language learning. :shock: I’ve been studying again for a while now, but haven’t visited the forum in over a month. Now, I hardly know where to begin in updating. I really should try to write everyday like Radioclare, but I always think, “I’ve hardly done anything worth writing about today. I’ll wait until I have something more to say.” Then I wait a few days and suddenly have too much to write about and don’t know where to begin and end up condensing it all down to nothing. I’m having trouble juggling so many languages and volunteering and a social life and a boyfriend. It was so much easier to get things done when I was a hermit. I think at present, I could do four languages without a problem: Spanish, German, Kurdish and Turkish. The other four, I’m finding hard to squeeze in. I was doing well for a while doing Kurdish and Turkish daily and rotating the others three and three, but something always comes up. However, I tried out my boyfriend’s Bluetooth headphones the other day at the gym and it was great being able to listen to podcasts. It was a little uncomfortable because his aren’t noise-cancelling, but I think if I could get noise-cancelling wireless headphones, I could make more use out of some of the time that otherwise gets wasted and that might help a bit.

I’m not going to try to detail everything I did this past month or so that I’ve been gone from the forum, but here are some highlights:

Turkish
A more knowledgeable forum member pointed out to me that the source of all those “Spanish” words in Turkish is actually Italian. How silly of me for not thinking of that! Of course, Italy is a lot closer than Spain and there has been a lot of contact between the two regions. I guess because Italian is one of the few major languages that I’ve never dabbled in or even considered studying, I just completely forgot about it.

Turkish is one of those languages that seems very straightforward and logical, and yet still impossible to get into my head. I can at this point understand a large portion of most Peppa Pig episodes, but I still struggle with any sentences of more than a few words. Lately, I’ve mostly been using Babbel and Memrise. I finished course 5 of Memrise and am about a third of the way through course 6. And then I just have to do course 7 and I’ll be fluent, right? Right?!

Babbel is OK. I don’t think it goes much further than Memrise and in some ways it is a bit annoying, but it has different kinds of activities and teaches the grammar more explicitly than Memrise, so it’s a pretty good supplement for a language that’s as hard as Turkish. I’ve also ordered some textbooks, but they might take as much as a month to get here. I gave up (again!) on the Teach Yourself I borrowed and took it back to the library after doing maybe one and a half units.

French
I haven’t been doing much French lately, but Rdearman sent me a box of French stuff (mostly novels) before Christmas, so I guess I should try to get back to work on it. I don’t see myself actually reading them any time soon though. Actually, if it’s something not too complicated, I can read and understand French by just sort of skimming it. It’s probably the only language I understand better when I skim than when I read slowly and deliberately.

Spanish
I borrowed the second book in the “El cementario de los libros olvidados” series, “El juego del ángel” and just finished it yesterday. I found it easier to read than the first book, but that might have been because I’ve finally gotten into a habit of reading for an hour or so most nights, so I don’t lose the thread so easily. Also, it’s the sixth book of his that I’ve read, the second intended for an adult audience, so maybe I’m starting to pick up some of his vocabulary, even though it still feels like I look up the same words over and over again. I really like his books. They’re just the right level of spooky for me. But I also find them a bit frustrating because he always ends them in such a mysterious manner. So, I’m always left at the end tilting my head, wondering, “But who? What? How?”

I’ve done the occasional exercise in my textbook, but mostly I’ve just been reading rather than really studying. I think I’ll alternate reading in different languages and “study” in the ones I’m not currently reading in. That basically means alternating reading and studying in Spanish and German since the other languages are not at a high enough level yet to make just reading very useful or enjoyable. And Norwegian and English don’t count since I’m not really studying either of those. I did just borrow a book in Norwegian now, but I should be able to get through it fairly quickly and then maybe I’ll find a German one.

German
I finished Themen Aktuell A2, which I really should have finished ages ago. I’m not sure if it helped me or not. I feel like I’m still weak on certain areas, though when I do the exercises, I seem to get them mostly right, so maybe I know more than I think I do. I’m going to finish the A-Grammatik book and then move on to B-level materials. That is probably more like my real level, but I feel like I still have a bunch of holes to plug up first.

They finally started making new episodes of Rentnercops again, but there’s a new Günther. I was all confused at first. The episode started with Günther’s family sitting at a table in the garden arguing and I kept wondering who that old man was sitting in Günther’s spot. No one seemed to be taking any notice of him at first and then he said something and they just pulled him into the discussion like he belonged there. Then eventually, I figured out that they just got a new actor to play Günther. It felt very weird. I liked the old Günther and now I have to get used to a whole new Günther. At least everyone else is still themselves.

Kurmanji
I keep running into a brick wall with Kurmanji, but some of it is slowly starting to make sense. I’ve been using LWT a lot to try to break things down. I think I might have said earlier that there was a direct case and an oblique case and that the direct case was kind of like the nominative (actually, one of my books refers to it that way) and the oblique was sort of a catch all for most other stuff (possessives, after prepositions, dative, etc), well, it’s not really so simple. Apparently, the direct case is a bit like a nominative in the present tense, but when you get to the past tense the subject and object switch around and the object is in the direct case and the subject is in the oblique case or something. I guess I’ll figure it out when I get there, assuming I ever figure out the present tense. I feel like I might almost have to write my own textbook as I go, just to learn this language. Most of the books I have are either lacking in exercises, have exercises but no answer key, jump forward to quickly in level, are contradictory with themselves or other materials, have too complicated sentences, or have no translations. It’s also hard to look things up because everyone seems to spell things differently and a lot of things are just missing from the dictionaries and people just borrow words from whatever other language is in their region and say it’s a Kurdish word, but maybe other Kurdish people use a completely different word. And did I mention that there are over 100 different names for the months? Well, according to one of the books, anyway. As far as I’ve seen, there are two completely different sets of names for the months that we usually use (January, February, etc), as well as another set that basically corresponds to the zodiac signs (I haven’t come across that calendar in use yet), however, since there are usually three or four alternate spellings and pronunciations for each name, I guess it might come out to over a hundred.

Now, I’ll leave you with another gem from Google Translate. This is the Google Translate version of the Wictionary definition of the Kurdish word for crossword puzzle. Apparently, Kurdish crosswords aren’t just cross; they are homicidal!!

xaçepirs (crossword puzzle)
a couple of sentences in a homicidal manner in a colossal way and each other is multiplied into a single hometown so that one word is found in just about any kind of colonial
11 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am

I had intended to start a new way of logging where I’d give a short update every evening, like Radioclare, rather than my usual long update every few weeks or months as I’ve been doing these past couple of years. Yesterday, though, I was just so exhausted. I wonder if I’m starting to come down with a cold. Or maybe I’ve just had a tad too little sleep lately. It’s not so strange that I should be feeling a bit under the weather considering the weather we’ve been under lately. Since before Christmas, storm after storm has been rolling through and while we’ve had the occasional few days of non-rainy weather, we’ve also had days and weeks of pouring rain and wind and I’m getting a bit tired of it.

Yesterday was Norwegian Training – daytime version. At the moment, we are often more teachers than students, so it isn’t as demanding as earlier. The current group of students are also mostly more educated and faster learners than many of the earlier groups and the sessions are one hour shorter than before. So, all in all, I don’t leave quite as exhausted as I used to, but I’m still pretty tired afterward. One highlight of today was when we were using pre-printed cards with various questions and three multiple-choice answers on them. We take turns reading out the cards and the others have to figure out the answers. The cards have a variety of subjects and levels, but today we were mostly using B1 level, typical expressions and sayings. One of the cards was for the Norwegian expression meaning “You reap what you sow.” They were having trouble understanding it and we explained it and mimed it, but it was still giving them a bit of trouble. However, the Turkish version had come up in my Memrise course just a few days ago, so I was able to translate to Turkish and then my boyfriend (yeah, he’s one of my students -- that’s how we met) was able to say it in Arabic and suddenly everyone understood. I was also able to translate “to prefer” into Turkish for another card. And when one of the cards asked for another way to say, “Jeg aner ikke”, which basically means ‘I have no idea,’ or ‘I don’t know,’ I was able to help a Syrian man who was struggling with it and who had lived in Germany for a few years before coming to Norway, make the connection to the German phrase, “Keine Ahnung.” All in all, it was a pretty good day in Norwegian Training.

As far as studying went, it wasn’t such a great day though. I just did a bit of Turkish in the morning before Norwegian Training. I did my reviews and two new lessons in Babble and then I did my reviews in Memrise, but there were so many that I didn’t feel like adding any new words after that. During a break in Norwegian Training, I tried to do some Polish on Clozemaster, but I think I got through maybe one and a quarter rounds before I got interrupted. After Norwegian training, I went swimming with my boyfriend. He got a free one-month pass to the local swimming hall and I’m a full member, so we usually meet up there about four days a week after his classes are over. The swimming hall is also the gym I go to, so most days, I’ve been trying to work out in the gym first and then meet up with him to swim and play in the water. I used to always train in the morning, but I think afternoons might actually suit my body better. At least, it seems to be going well so far. However, all this exercise is cutting into my language time, so I really need to get myself those headphones soon so I can at least listen to podcasts or something in the gym.

After swimming, I went to the store to get something and got stuck behind a couple of those people that need a bunch of things that don’t go through the register and then when it’s time to pay forget how to use their card. So, by the time I got home, I was starving. Luckily, we had leftovers in the refrigerator, so it didn’t take too long to make dinner, but I still ate everything in sight.

I was too worn out from swimming and Norwegian Training to do much more studying after that. I’d made a deal with myself at the beginning of the year that I’d define at least 20 Kurdish words in LWT every day. I did manage to do that, but it was hard. I really need to go through some grammar at this point because I’m suffering some confusion over the different verb forms, but I didn’t feel like I could do that last night as tired as I was, so I just looked for words that I could be pretty sure of and added the definitions. Unfortunately, easy enough words were difficult to find, but I did get it done eventually. Then I sat down and read a bit in my book – in Norwegian – and gave my brain a rest.
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I had intended to start a new way of logging where I’d give a short update every evening, like Radioclare, rather than my usual long update every few weeks or months as I’ve been doing these past couple of years.

I just wanted to say that I've decided to have a break from daily updates this year :lol: I couldn't decide what to do with my log in 2020, because on the one hand I did find that having to update my log every day was quite motivational to make me do something, but then it did sometimes feel like a bit of a chore, especially in the evenings when I was tired. In the end I decided to have a break this year and update less regularly, which so far I'm enjoying :-)

It sounds like you are doing loads of stuff anyway regardless of how often you update! I can't even imagine trying to learn a language where there are so many different names for the months :o
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:38 pm

I wasted a bit of time this morning writing yesterday’s log entry. I’ll have to see if regular writing makes me study more, or if it takes too much time away and causes me to study less. After writing my log. I did two Babbel lessons and the reviews for today. I’ve finished the Newcomer and Beginner I courses and am currently working on Beginner II level 1. After Babbel, I did Memrise. There weren’t too many reviews today, so after I finished them, I did level 12 of the Turkish-6 course. It was a bit different than the other levels. Usually each level has a theme and there are a bunch of vocabulary words relating to the theme and then a few random sentences using those words. This time, the sentences sort of fit together into a story about getting lost in the jungle.

After Turkish, I did a few exercises in my Spanish textbook. I’m still only on chapter one!! :oops: :? Sometimes, I like it because it gives me a feeling of accomplishment. (I still feel shocked at times to realize that I actually taught myself a language without going to the country or having a native speaker community around me.) Even so, I sometimes find the textbook to be all those things I hated in high school. “Read this poem and analyse it! Which three stanzas mean the most to you? Why? Find one adjective to convey the basic meaning of each stanza. Write your own poem in the same style…….” It’s like high school English all over again – except I’m doing it by choice now! Who would have guessed that?! :lol:

Then I tried to do a bit of Polish again. I haven’t done much Polish lately, but I found there is a Duolingo course, so I decided to try it. I did the first “skill” and managed to confuse the verbs for “to be” and “to eat”. :roll: I’m going to get myself into trouble if I go to any restaurants in Poland. Then I did most of the backlog of reviews on Memrise and got frustrated trying to spell things and get the words in the right order. I swear I’ve heard some of the phrases with the words in a slightly different order, but Memrise only accepts one version. Like “mówię trochę po polsku”. I’m sure, I’ve heard “trochę mówię po polsku” in some other course.

I didn’t do any other studying until after I came back from the gym, but then I started on Kurdish. First, I did my 20+ words in LWT and went through some phrases on Utalk. Then, I was starving, but dinner was still not ready, so I read some grammar in “Kurmanji Kurdish for the Beginners”. Some of it was stuff I’d read before, but it makes more sense now. After reviewing the parts I’ve done before, I started reading ahead in the pdf. I took a brief break for dinner and then switched to Japanese to make sure I did a bit of that too. I did my usual routine with Satori Reader for Japanese and then went back to reading about Kurdish grammar. I still have a couple of chapters to go, but it’s late, so I’m going to leave them for later and relax with a Norwegian mystery novel.
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I had intended to start a new way of logging where I’d give a short update every evening, like Radioclare, rather than my usual long update every few weeks or months as I’ve been doing these past couple of years.

I just wanted to say that I've decided to have a break from daily updates this year :lol: I couldn't decide what to do with my log in 2020, because on the one hand I did find that having to update my log every day was quite motivational to make me do something, but then it did sometimes feel like a bit of a chore, especially in the evenings when I was tired. In the end I decided to have a break this year and update less regularly, which so far I'm enjoying :-)

It sounds like you are doing loads of stuff anyway regardless of how often you update! I can't even imagine trying to learn a language where there are so many different names for the months :o

I haven't really gotten very far with reading the various logs and stuff I missed during my forum break, so I hadn't noticed. It's too bad I won't have your updates to read. I found your log very entertaining and inspiring.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:16 pm

I started today with Turkish as usual, doing three lessons in Babbel and one new level in Memrise as well as the reviews for both. Then I switched to doing Glossika Croatian while doing some housework and failing at repairing something. After that was French, where I warmed up with some Memrise reviews, and followed up with a chapter in “Grammaire Progressive”. Next was German with a video from “Deutsch mit Marija” as a warm-up and then a few pages in “A-Grammatik”. And finally, Kurdish, where I read the rest of the grammar notes I started yesterday and worked on my 20+ words in LWT. Unfortunately, I’m not quite finished with that part, so I need to go finish that now before I can get back to my Norwegian mystery novel.

In between all that, I welcomed a new cat to the house, fed the feral cat by hand many times (we’re restricting her food so she has to eat most of it from our hands to see if that will tame her), did a bit of housework, and went to the Wednesday evening Norwegian Training session at the library, going a bit early so I could walk to the home of my elderly, blind friend so I could walk her there and home again after. I didn’t go swimming today and so didn’t see my boyfriend until the evening in the library. There he told me that he has been called in to another interview with Immigration in Oslo. That made me a little nervous. I don’t know anyone else who’s been called in to a second interview, so I’m a bit scared. Please keep your fingers crossed that they grant him asylum.
9 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:33 pm

My boyfriend seemed a bit depressed this morning after yesterday’s news. His classes don’t start until 10:30 on Thursdays and he stayed in bed until it was time to go and then didn’t eat breakfast or even take a yoghurt with him. He’s normally a very cheerful and optimistic type, but all the waiting and back-and-forth with the asylum question is getting to him a bit.

I started the morning with Turkish again. I did two lessons in Beginner II and one in grammar and all my reviews for Babbel, but when I got to Memrise, I didn’t really feel like doing anything, so I just did my reviews.

After that, I decided to do my 20+ words on LWT for Kurmanji rather than leaving it for the evening when I’m already tired and frustrated before even starting. I worked until I got tired and frustrated and decided to leave the rest for later, but when I looked at the statistics, I’d already reached 21 words for the day. I do sometimes get 30 or 35 words, but lately, I’ve been just been scraping by. It’s a bit easier since I read the grammar notes. Now at least I know that all those verbs that look almost like verbs I know aren’t typos, but other tenses. However, a lot of the verbs are still hard to figure out. Sometimes, I can find the form in Wiktionary, but a lot of times it isn’t linked and I have to know the infinitive to find it. Some verbs also have alternative forms for certain conjugations that are more common that the standard forms, but which aren’t in the conjugation tables in Wiktionary and I sometimes have trouble finding them. Also, Kurmanji verbs are just complicated. They have two stems, a present stem and a past stem. The past stem is easy because you just take the -n or-in off the end of the infinitive to find the past stem. But the present stems are often irregular and don’t necessarily resemble their infinitive, so it can be hard to figure them out. Not to mention that every word seems to have at least four or five alternative spellings.

I did Duolingo again for Polish, finishing Basics 2 this time. I really don’t understand how the crown system works. Will I learn more stuff if I keep going on the same lesson, or is it just review? I also finished level 5 of the Polish 2 course on Memrise. I wasn’t feeling so great today, so I didn’t put much more than minimal effort into completing the day’s languages. For Japanese, I just did Satori Reader and nothing else.

By the time I got to Spanish, I was feeling rather tired and weak. I did a couple of exercises in my textbook, but the second one was a writing exercise and I felt I was just writing nonsense. So, I think it’s time to give up on that for today. I was going to read the grammar notes from another PDF on Kurmanji, but I think I’ll leave that for tomorrow. I’ve technically gotten through all my languages for today, so I can stop now and relax with my book. I barely read any of it yesterday, and I want to find out what happens.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Fingers crossed for your boyfriend. It's such a painful, miserable process.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am

Once again, things didn’t go according to plan. I got sick on Friday. I managed to get through my planned languages on Friday, but doing the minimal effort method as I was so tired all day. At that point I didn’t know I was sick and didn’t understand why I was so tired. I tried to stay awake to a reasonable hour, but ended up going to bed just a little after nine. Saturday morning, I didn’t feel so well, but got through a little Babble Turkish before I crashed completely. Since then, I’ve done almost nothing as far as studying goes. I finished reading my book, but it was in Norwegian, so it doesn’t really count. I’m feeling much better now, but still a bit tired.

I’ve been thinking a bit about my current language situation and I don’t think I’m suited to doing so many languages at once. Six went well, back when I didn’t have a boyfriend or a social life, but eight never went well, and I’m not sure even six would go so well in my current situation. So, I should probably drop at least two. And those would almost have to be the two Slavic languages. I don’t want to give up any of the languages where I already have made a good amount of progress (Spanish, German, and to some extent, Japanese). I can’t and also don’t want to give up Turkish or Kurdish as those are very important to me because those are the languages my boyfriend’s family speaks and it would be nice to be able to talk to them someday. So that leaves French, BCS and Polish. French seems very practical and also, it’s pretty easy to make progress in it. BCS I’m in love with and don’t want to give up. Polish is not bringing me any joy at the moment, but the Gathering is in Poland this year. So, it’s hard to give up any of them. Maybe I have to think about it a little more, but I’m pretty sure, I’m just delaying the inevitable.

Another possible change that I think would suit my study style better, would be to do more bingeing rather than try to stay on the slow and steady pace. I find it easy to binge when I first get started on something interesting, and hard to keep a perfect balance. The problem is that bingeing means something else gets ignored a bit and with so many languages, I can’t really allow myself to ignore any of them for too long without backsliding.
9 x

Return to “Language logs”