jalhaesseo의 Korean (Output Challenge 2016)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jalhaesseo
Languages: English

jalhaesseo의 Korean (Output Challenge 2016)

Postby jalhaesseo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I started to learn Korean in February 2015 out of interest. Three months later, in order to keep myself motivated, I booked a flight to Seoul for May 2016. I really hope that I would be able to communicate with the local people using Korean by then. I used to write down my progress in a physical notebook, but from now on I will jot down the things here that are related to my learning.

Currently doing/using:

1) Lessons via Skype
2) Korean Grammar In Use
3) Korean made easy - vocabulary
4) Read random stuff on the Internet
5) Output Challenge for writing and speaking

EDIT: Previously I listed too many books for studying, and it was quite difficult to keep up. So, I've decided to put aside most of them and only leave two on the list for now.
Last edited by jalhaesseo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
3 x

The Real CZ
White Belt

Re: jalhaesseo의 Korean

Postby The Real CZ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Nice to see another Korean learner here. I don't think I recall you posting on the original HTLAL, so welcome to the Korean language learning club.

Just a side note: It took me over a minute to understand what your name meant because I have such a hard time with romanization haha. I learned hangeul right away, so romanized Korean, aside from names, is almost impossible for me to decipher.
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Looks like you have a lot of resources, now it's just a matter of using them :D I look forward to reading about your progress.
0 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

jalhaesseo

Postby jalhaesseo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:05 pm

The Real CZ wrote:Nice to see another Korean learner here. I don't think I recall you posting on the original HTLAL, so welcome to the Korean language learning club.

Thanks! You're right, I didn't post anything on the original HTLAL, only browsing occasionally. But I guess it's time to make a change.

The Real CZ wrote:Just a side note: It took me over a minute to understand what your name meant because I have such a hard time with romanization haha. I learned hangeul right away, so romanized Korean, aside from names, is almost impossible for me to decipher.

I actually had to type 잘 했어 on Google Translate to get the romanization, haha.
0 x

jalhaesseo

Postby jalhaesseo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Evita wrote:Looks like you have a lot of resources, now it's just a matter of using them :D I look forward to reading about your progress.

Haha, I buy books faster than I can finish them. Not only learning materials but also novels. Bad habit!
1 x

jalhaesseo

Postby jalhaesseo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

I had another Skype lesson this morning at 5 o'clock (okay, yesterday actually, as it's 00:30 right now). Normally I am a tea person, but I guess something was not right with me that I spontaneously decided to have a cup of cappuccino before we started despite the fact that sometimes I get palpitations after having coffee. However, during the lesson, it seemed like I focused much better, understood my teacher better, responded to her more correctly and recalled things faster although I only had a 4-hour sleep. Supposedly it was because of the coffee. :lol:

So in today's lesson… we checked through 4 pages of homework and learned some basic vocabulary related to health and hospital. Since I suffer from 추간판탈출증 (Herniated Intervertebral Disc), words such as 정형외과 and 물리치료 are very relevant to me. Although having this problem is very annoying, I actually had fun talking a bit about it in Korean. Furthermore, my teacher also taught me the expression "어이가 없다" which I might be using a lot from now on because in Mandarin we also say something similar like "讓人很無言", this I use pretty often.

Currently I am writing in my second notebook for the Skype lessons. I reviewed my first notebook like two months ago but have surely forgotten a lot already. Now I am doing the 2nd review of my 공책(1). The content is substantial, but I am determined to finish it before the next lesson takes place on Monday.
2 x

jalhaesseo

Postby jalhaesseo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:05 am

Trying to catch up the study plan. So behind scheduleㅠㅠ I didn't study much this past week due to the heavy workload. All I wanted after work was sleep. However, I did manage to listen to the audio files of [Korean Verb Guide] which contain lots of example sentences. While listening, I noticed that at this stage it's still a bit difficult for me sometimes to differentiate the sounds between, say, ㄷ and ㄸ, or ㅍ and ㅂ. Need to listen more, no better way.
0 x

jalhaesseo

Re: jalhaesseo의 Korean (Output Challenge 2016)

Postby jalhaesseo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:25 am

I joined the Output Challenge 8-) , and here is my first writing. I'm using an online word count tool to see how many words I've written, and for this one it shows 89 words (360 characters). This first entry is definitely too short as I was actually hoping to reach 150 words. Need to make it up next time.

Original version
안녕하세요. 좀 늦었지만 새해 복 많이 받으세요. 저는 대만 사람인데 지금 독일에서 살고 일해요. 모국어 중국어예요. 영어와 독일어도 알아요. 작년 2월부터 한국어 배우기 시작했어요. 왜 한국어를 배워요? 저는 금년 5월에 서울에 여행갈 거예요. 2주동안 머물 거예요. 여행할 때 한국 사람에게 한국어로 말할 수 있으면 좋겠어요. 지금 아직 한국어를 잘 못 하는데 이제부터 더 열심히 공부할 게요. 2016년에는 가장 달성하는 것이 한국어를 많이 많이 향상시키는 것이에요. 요즘 언어 학습자 포럼에서 쓰기과 말하기 도전에 응해서 앞으로 Lang-8에서 자주 한국어 쓰기 연습할 거예요. 여기에 한국어를 잘 하는 여러분들은 저를 좀 도와주세요.

Corrected version
안녕하세요. 좀 늦었지만 새해 복 많이 받으세요. 저는 대만 사람인데 지금은 독일에서 일해요. 모국어 중국어예요. 영어와 독일어도 알아요. 작년 2월부터 한국어 배우기 시작했어요. 왜 한국어를 배우냐구요? 저는 금년 5월에 서울에 여행갈 거예요. 2주동안 머물 거예요. 여행할 때 한국 사람에게 한국어로 말할 수 있으면 좋겠어요. 지금 아직 한국어를 잘 못 하는데 이제부터 더 열심히 공부하려고 해요. 2016년에는 가장 달성하는 것이 한국어를 많이 많이 향상시키는 것이에요. 얼마 전 언어 학습자 포럼에서 쓰기과 말하기 도전에 참여했는데 앞으로 Lang-8에서 자주 한국어 쓰기 연습할 거예요. 이 사이트에 계신 한국어를 잘 하는 분들이(한국어 원어민 분들이) 저를 좀 도와주세요.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”