Evita's Korean and Other Languages

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Re: Evita's Korean and Other Languages

Postby Evita » Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm

AndyMeg wrote:The same happened to me with Goblin: I only watched about two episodes and left it in my "to finish later" list xD! (but with the korean transcripts leosmith shared, I'm thinking about giving it another try)

Have you tried "Strong Woman Dong Bong-Soon"? It is on my "to-watch" list. I've seen the first episode and found it pretty funny.

From the ones that are currently airing, then one I'm enjoying the most is "Circle". It is sci-fi mixed with suspense. It's really interesting so far!

Also, Viki launched its "Learn Mode" and it works with some k-dramas. It is far from perfect but they are open to receive feedback.

By the way, I've always wanted to ask you: How did you choose which words to put into your Anki vocabulary deck? (I've started to study with it in a particular way, and I'm curious about your word choices). And really: Thanks a lot for sharing your deck! :D

I haven't seen any of the dramas you mention, I'm thinking of watching Rebel and My Father is Strange. By the way, I finished Chief Kim and I'm happy to report that the ending was nice. This is the first drama without any romance in it that I've enjoyed so much. I'm quite picky when it comes to comedies but this one was really good. There were lots of nice side characters, nice character development, and in the battle of good guys versus the bad guys (i.e. the corrupt chairman and his posse), the good guys won like seven times and the bad guys only once.

I don't watch shows on Viki, I prefer more professional subtitles. I get my shows here.

As for transcripts, I have many that I've collected through the years, but I've barely looked at them. At first they were just too difficult. Now I just don't feel like it.

About the Anki vocabulary deck, my sources have been everything you can imagine except perhaps speaking with Koreans. I started building it 5 years ago and my first words were from TTMIK because that was my primary resource. I've also taken words from other internet resources, textbooks, dramas, songs, podcasts, word lists, and even random words from the dictionary. I just added whatever seemed useful and I still keep doing it. Currently I've set my goal to 8000 words but I suspect I'll go up to 10,000 and more. I want to make my deck the best word list for Korean.
2 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Evita wrote:I haven't seen any of the dramas you mention, I'm thinking of watching Rebel and My Father is Strange.

I've been watching Rebel an so far it's really good.

I'm also watching My Father is Strange. It started slow (at least from my perspective) but it gained momentum after episode 10. It is currently the only drama I'm watching without subs because I enjoy it so much that I can't wait for the english subs. (After the subs are ready I re-watch it to make sure that I'm following the story right). I would do the same with "Circle" but as it has a lot of suspense and a lot of the information in conveyed through what they say, I prefer to wait for the english subs.

Evita wrote: I don't watch shows on Viki, I prefer more professional subtitles. I get my shows here.

Thanks for the link! :D

Evita wrote:As for transcripts, I have many that I've collected through the years, but I've barely looked at them. At first they were just too difficult. Now I just don't feel like it.

That's why I'm trying Viki's "Learn Mode". It has a dictionary included and it makes it easier to go through the korean transcripts while having the official english subs as a guide. The dictionary is far from perfect, and the "Learn Mode" itself needs some improvements, but is good enough for the purpose I'm using it now.

Evita wrote:About the Anki vocabulary deck, my sources have been everything you can imagine except perhaps speaking with Koreans. I started building it 5 years ago and my first words were from TTMIK because that was my primary resource. I've also taken words from other internet resources, textbooks, dramas, songs, podcasts, word lists, and even random words from the dictionary. I just added whatever seemed useful and I still keep doing it. Currently I've set my goal to 8000 words but I suspect I'll go up to 10,000 and more. I want to make my deck the best word list for Korean.

Thanks a lot for your answer! So far I'm really enjoying your deck and it is great that some words have audio and some others have hanja (as I've studied japanese before, it makes it easier to remember some words or to understand the way they are structured).
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:19 am

The book series I'm working with now is called 세종 한국어. They are used all over the world by the local Sejong Institutes to teach Korean. The lessons are usually free of charge and the books are also available free of charge. They are available on their website, but you have to register first. Then go to Work Together -> Study Material. You'll be able to view the books online and download the sound files.

There are 8 books in total - 4 beginner and 4 intermediate (or so they say). Each book has 14 lessons and each lesson covers two grammar points. The first two books also have English translations of all the dialogues. I think this is a very good series, I like the dialogues and vocabulary more than what's in the Ewha books.

I've finished book 3 and started working on book 4. Obviously the grammar is not new to me, but I'm using the books to mine sentences for my Anki decks and practice vocabulary. I've been really motivated lately so I managed to finish 5 lessons in book 3 and 1 lesson in book 4 during the last month.

As for dramas, well, I won't be watching "My father is strange". I gave it two and a half episodes, but I didn't like a single character in the drama. I also didn't like its style of comedy so that's it.
5 x

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Evita wrote:As for dramas, well, I won't be watching "My father is strange". I gave it two and a half episodes, but I didn't like a single character in the drama. I also didn't like its style of comedy so that's it.

It starts really slow. I skimmed through the first 15 episodes or so. After the 10th it starts to become more interesting. And from episode 20 on I've found it really funny. I almost gave up on this drama, but I decided to go this route because I was very intrigued by its premise; so I can understand why you decided not to watch it any more ;) .
Last edited by AndyMeg on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Zenman
White Belt
Languages: I speak: English (N) and Spanish (B1)
I'm studying Japanese
I plan to study: French, German, and Italian

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I find your log very motivating I have a question back in the day when you were going through TTMIK lessons how did you go about it did you just listen and look over the PDF's or did you dig into each lesson dissecting it?

Also I have read you have a word-list for German on Anki I was looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere is it private and if it isn't I would really love if you can share it with us. Thanks and keep up the good work hopefully my Korean can me on your level on day.
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Zenman wrote:I find your log very motivating I have a question back in the day when you were going through TTMIK lessons how did you go about it did you just listen and look over the PDF's or did you dig into each lesson dissecting it?

I just listened and barely even looked at the PDF's. At the time I had a long commute to work so I had time to do it, but it was very ineffective because almost all of the audio was in English. I didn't want to read the PDF's more than once because reading in Korean took a lot of effort. I consciously chose the path of least resistance (listening is much easier than reading) and in a way I'm still doing it. Most people are impatient to learn everything quickly and get to new stuff quickly, but I'm not like that. I'd rather go over three different beginners' textbooks because they get easier every time and that means I can enjoy them more - both the language and the feeling of my progress.

Although I liked the TTMIK lessons a lot, over time I recognized their biggest faults. One - not enough vocabulary. Well, that was expected maybe, so the second fault was bigger in my eyes - the fact that they didn't cover Korean grammar systematically, they left many things out. That was why I turned to textbooks and that was also why I decided to create an Anki sentence deck that would cover all the grammar, not just the grammar from TTMIK. The deck, as it is now, does cover completely all the beginner's grammar and about 20-25% of the intermediate grammar. There's still a lot of work left to be done, but I'm very proud of this deck. It's my way of helping others learn Korean. So far it has been downloaded by more than 32,000 people.

Also I have read you have a word-list for German on Anki I was looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere is it private and if it isn't I would really love if you can share it with us.

I started to write that you must be mistaken, I don't have a German word list, but I just remembered that yes, in fact, I was working on one. Wow, I had completely forgotten about it. It's not an Anki deck because I never finished it. If I had finished it, it would have been a German - Latvian deck. What I have is a list of approx. 2000 words without translations. If you really want it, I can share it on Google Docs, but I've seen a 4000 word German deck on Ankiweb. Maybe try that one out first.
3 x

Zenman
White Belt
Languages: I speak: English (N) and Spanish (B1)
I'm studying Japanese
I plan to study: French, German, and Italian

Postby Zenman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Although I liked the TTMIK lessons a lot, over time I recognized their biggest faults. One - not enough vocabulary. Well, that was expected maybe, so the second fault was bigger in my eyes - the fact that they didn't cover Korean grammar systematically, they left many things out. That was why I turned to textbooks and that was also why I decided to create an Anki sentence deck that would cover all the grammar, not just the grammar from TTMIK. The deck, as it is now, does cover completely all the beginner's grammar and about 20-25% of the intermediate grammar. There's still a lot of work left to be done, but I'm very proud of this deck. It's my way of helping others learn Korean. So far it has been downloaded by more than 32,000 people.

I started to write that you must be mistaken, I don't have a German word list, but I just remembered that yes, in fact, I was working on one. Wow, I had completely forgotten about it. It's not an Anki deck because I never finished it. If I had finished it, it would have been a German - Latvian deck. What I have is a list of approx. 2000 words without translations. If you really want it, I can share it on Google Docs, but I've seen a 4000 word German deck on Ankiweb. Maybe try that one out first.

First I want to say thanks for the Korean decks which are amazing and really helpful for me and many others. Second I did look over the 4000 word German deck and I'm not at the level that I can see an English phrase and change it to German. Also I tried to flip it so I get the German word and then the English equivalent but it doesn't allow me it makes you do each card manually. Your deck is so organized that is why I was looking for it also I'm a beginner.

I agree to the point you made about TTMIK and I also just listen to lessons. The vocabulary is lacking and I notice it early on now I'm on Level 2 Ep 26 and its terribly noticeable and also that even though some grammar points build on each other others are just randomly placed either way this really jump started my Korean so I still need to thank them.

If you can send me your German list I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all your efforts it means a lot to the community.
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:24 am

German

Zenman wrote:
If you can send me your German list I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all your efforts it means a lot to the community.

Here's the list I made: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Column A - the full word
Column B - the plural form for some nouns
Column C - the Latvian translation
Column D - the number of times this word is in the list (to avoid accidental duplicates)
Column E - the number of the word in my list (the list is sorted by this column)
Column F - the word without the article so that the list can be ordered alphabetically if necessary
Column H - some words I thought should be added to the list

Korean

I've finished the first four chapters of Sejong 4. They had some nice sentences like this one:

결심을 하기는 쉽지만 지키기는 어려운데 수진 씨 정말 대단하네요. (It's easy to make a resolution but difficult to keep it. You're doing great.)

The first dialogue of chapter 5 had the expression "그러고 보니까", which I had never seen before. Naver says it means "come to think of it" but I wanted to use this opportunity to learn the -고 보니 grammar point so I looked it up in my KGiU Intermediate book. It means to discover something new after an action or event occurs. For example:

지하철에서 내리고 보니 가방이 없더라고요. (I got off the subway and realized I didn't have my bag with me.)

But now I'm a bit confused as to how this differs from the simple 으니까, which also has this meaning:

집에 들어오니까 맛있는 냄새가 나요. (I arrived home to (discover) the smell of something tasty.)

There's also a second thing I'm not sure about. What would be the most appropriate English translation of "학교 휴학하니까 좋아요?" Does the 니까 show reason or discovery?
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm not as advanced as you with korean (I'm pretty much a beginner in many aspects), but after reading a little bit about the ~니까 I'll try to make a guess.

According to Google Translator, 학교 휴학하니까 좋아요? means "Is it okay to take a school leave?"

From my perspective, maybe it could be more accurate to translate it as: "Then, is it okay to take a school leave?" or "So, is it okay to take a school leave?"(but I'm not really sure about this, and I actually may be completely wrong, so let's wait for someone with more knowledge to tell us ;) )
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:41 pm

AndyMeg wrote:I'm not as advanced as you with korean (I'm pretty much a beginner in many aspects), but after reading a little bit about the ~니까 I'll try to make a guess.

According to Google Translator, 학교 휴학하니까 좋아요? means "Is it okay to take a school leave?"

From my perspective, maybe it could be more accurate to translate it as: "Then, is it okay to take a school leave?" or "So, is it okay to take a school leave?"(but I'm not really sure about this, and I actually may be completely wrong, so let's wait for someone with more knowledge to tell us ;) )

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. My guess is "Are you glad/happy that you're taking time off from school?" but this is the first time I've seen such a -니까 좋아요 construction and I don't quite understand how it works.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”