Evita's Korean and Other Languages

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Re: Evita's Korean and Other Languages

Postby Evita » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 pm

When I finished reordering the deck in 2016, I created a spreadsheet to see which words had moved up and down the most. Now I've updated the spreadsheet with the most recent info. It's like the evolution of my deck.

2014 vs 2016 vs 2019 comparison

The way to read the table is as follows. Let's say you're going through the 2019 column (J) and see the word 사진 on row 185. Column I shows that this is word no.184 in the 2019 list and column K shows that this word was no.217 on the 2016 list, so it's moved up 33 positions (column H).

I don't blame you if you don't care about all this :lol: I did it mainly for myself.
3 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 am

I think I mentioned a while ago that I wanted to become a software developer and that I was self-studying for it. Well, my plan was successful, I've officially changed titles at my company but I've still got a lot to learn. That's why I've been paying little attention to Korean all this time. Just a little TV, a little Anki. About once a week I still listen to the 볼륨을 높여요 podcast and that's actually the reason I'm writing here today. I started listening to the April 19 episode and there was something about Latvia at the very start of it, but I can't make out what exactly it is. I think she's talking about the sounds that ducks make (?) but it doesn't make any sense to me. Can anybody help please?
1 x

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:54 pm

It feels weird to write in my log after such a long pause but I have good news - I have restarted working on my Anki decks and, as a byproduct, improving my Korean. I've finished Sejong for kids 3-2 and will start 4-1 soon. At the same time, I'm slowly adding some sentences from KGiU Intermediate. I think I will set myself a goal to finish this book this year, I've been sitting on it for far too long.

Can you believe I've been reviewing my Anki vocabulary deck for seven years now? Seven! It seems crazy but then it only has 5915 words in it so it's not a crazy number of words per day. I fully expect to keep the deck for another few years. It's fun when I get an easy word like 학교 and press "Easy" and Anki tells me the next time I'll see the word will be in 13 years. Hehe, I hope not, I hope to be done with Anki by then.
13 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:20 pm

I finally published my second Korean sentence deck for Anki: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1150015417

I've been working on it for 6 years so it's a big moment. I actually have almost 2000 sentences in this deck but I only published 800 of them. That's because I don't want to do endless reorderings for this deck like I do for the vocabulary deck, and I'm reasonably sure that the first 800 sentences won't change much. I've left the other sentences unordered for now.
3 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:26 am

I'm more than halfway through Sejong for kids 4-1. It's not going as quickly as I expected but that's because I've started working on another huge project. It's called "Korean Vocabulary Quiz".

There are a few sites that offer for you to find out how many Korean words you know. They give you a list of (random) words and you mark the ones you know and the site then calculates the total. I think there's room for lots of improvement:

• The word lists that these tests are based on. I won't go into details here but I think my list will be better and eventually bigger than the others.
  • The methodology. Most tests go something like this: "We have 1000 basic words, 2000 intermediate words, and 3000 advanced words so we'll give you x random words from the first group, y from the second group, and so on, and in the end calculate accordingly." The problem is, if the person started learning Korean 2 months ago, there's no need to give them anything beyond the first group; if they started learning 5 years ago, only advanced vocabulary should be presented.
  • Only one quiz that I've seen (here) is a real quiz where you have to select the correct answer instead of just self-evaluating whether you know the word or not. I believe such quizzes give better results and are more fun to do.

I had been thinking about creating my own quiz for some time already and I decided to focus on it now because of the virus - because more people are studying Korean than before, I see it in my Anki deck download numbers.

So how does one create such a quiz? Well, there are two parts to it. The first part is to create a website for the quiz. I'm a programmer so I plan to do it myself. I've already started working on it. The second part, and maybe the bigger part, is to prepare the data for the test. What I need are three things:

- a list of Korean words
- the correct answer for each word
- three incorrect answers for each word

For the list I'm obviously going to use my Anki word list but it can't be used as-is, many words have to be taken out. First, words that don't have a good English translation (like 과연) or have more than one good translation (like 감다). Second, for example, I have 과학, 과학자, and 과학적 in my deck, but I'm only going to make the first one available for the test. Third, all words that come from English are out. So what I'm doing now is going through the whole list and deciding which words should be in and selecting the correct answers for them. I'm currently at word 2320. Coming up with the wrong answers will probably take even more time.

As for methodology, I plan to let the users select a range in which they want to be tested. The assumption would be that they know all the words below the range and none of the words above, or that these words would cancel each other out. So far I have come up with the following ranges:

0-500
200-900
400-1500
800-2700
1500-4500

These are not based on any mathematics, just my experience. I will probably let the users define their own ranges as well. If someone has a better idea, please let me know.
2 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 pm

I just spent more than 50 hours watching the Korean drama "Love is beautiful, life is wonderful". That's a lot of hours but I really enjoyed it. I don't even remember what my previous drama was. I know I watched "My golden life" in 2017 but I'm not sure if I finished any drama since then. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Anyway. It seems I'm quite fond of KBS's weekend dramas. "My golden life" also was one of those and I know I've watched several more. This one, the one I just finished, started off quite depressing - with two 18 year old kids who wanted to and planned to commit suicide together. One of them succeeded. The other one went on to become a police officer so she could save others. It was quite inspiring that way.

But okay, various secrets about the past are expected in Korean dramas. What I didn't expect was the secondary story line. Imagine: a girl from a modest family wants to marry a rich guy because she just wants to be rich. Somehow she meets a rich guy and the guy falls in love with her right away. He knows she's just after his money but believes he can make her fall in love with him so he wants to marry her anyway. So they marry. The rich guy's mother hates the girl because she's a gold digger. Okay. Nine years pass, nothing much changes, but suddenly the guy is in a car accident and in a coma. The mother uses this opportunity to force the girl to divorce the rich guy because the guy had been having an affair with his secretary. Okay. One more year passes and suddenly the guy wakes up from coma and asks "Where is my wife?" She's already moved on and found a new possible love interest. The rich guy basically spends the rest of the series chasing his divorced wife. I thought that the wife would end up with the new love interest because that guy was on the posters for the drama but she ended up back with the rich guy so I feel a bit cheated.

Overall I really enjoyed this drama. I started watching it after my last post so you can see how quickly I did it. I watched it with English subtitles like always but I didn't always need them. I could probably understand more than 50% of the conversation, which felt like great progress to me. However, I still lack the vocabulary to understand the more interesting parts that don't revolve around everyday subjects.

I want to keep working on my Quiz project but I also want to watch another drama. Grrr.
3 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:04 am

My Quiz project is hopelessly late but I haven't abandoned it yet. I just keep procrastinating because finding three wrong answers for each question is such a tedious task, I just don't want to do it. But I do want to make the quiz a reality so I have to do it. So far I've done approx. 270 questions (with at least 2000 more to come).

I'm still reviewing my Korean vocabulary deck every day and I'm up to 6190 words now. I've found that my daily limit for reviews is 15-20 words. If it gets more than that, which it inevitably does, then I get behind, then I stop learning new words and just do the reviews until I'm all caught up. Then I set my deck to 3 new words a day and wait until I get behind again. And so it goes. Currently I have 170 words to review so yes, I'm behind again. But I do some reviews every day.

I wanted to finish 80% of KGiU this year and that goal seems unrealistic now. It's too bad. I'm at 30% now and I might get to 50% or 60% by the end of the year if I really work on it.

So what have I been doing instead? Well, you know how I like to marathon dramas. If I find something I like I really get into it and want to finish it quickly. This summer I got the urge to watch a US TV show, not a Korean drama, and I picked NCIS:LA. It turned out that I really liked it. The thing is, it already has 11 seasons so it took me a lot of time to watch them all :D But now I'm done with that so I'll try to work more on my Korean projects.
3 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm very excited. I've finished programming the functionality of the quiz including the timer. Now I only have to write some CSS to make the site pretty, and keep working on the wrong answers. I've decided to publish the quiz once I get the words to 900. Hopefully it will be within this month. I'll post the URL here and hopefully some of you will be kind enough to give me some feedback.

I've also finished book 4-1 of Sejong for kids and Ewha 3-1. Started on Ewha 3-2, and my Anki vocabulary deck is current, yay.

Ewha 3-2 has -다니 as one of the first grammar points and it's quite tricky. It seems it's a reported speech pattern but can also be used attached directly to the verb stem? It's a bit strange that Ewha and KGiU teach the same grammar point differently.
2 x

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 pm

It's finally ready! Here's my Korean quiz:

My quiz

I would appreciate any feedback.
2 x

mverse
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: French (beginner)
Dabbled: Korean
School classes long forgotten: Spanish

Postby mverse » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi Evita!

I used your Korean deck back in 2015 to learn most of my meager Korean. Thanks for making such an awesome Anki deck! I saw your name here and realized you must be the creator.

I took the first level of your quiz. I have approximate knowledge of many words, so given the multiple choice nature of the test, I could usually jog my memory to get the right answer even if I couldn't have gotten the answer right without that context. Is that what you intended? In any case, congrats on the release of the quiz!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”