Fuvilensis' Log (EN/DE/RU) | ¡Idiomas, querida!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Fuvilensis
White Belt
Languages: N: Spanish, Galician
C1: English
B1: German
A0: Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11308

Fuvilensis' Log (EN/DE/RU) | ¡Idiomas, querida!

Postby Fuvilensis » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi there! I've been reading the forum for a few months, but today I've finally decided to register myself :D

Since there's no thread specifically for newcomers (at least I think there isn't), I'll use my first post in the log as a way to introduce myself and what my language learning adventure has been.

I'm 19 and I'm from Galicia, which is one of the autonomous regions of Spain. Therefore, both Spanish and Galician are native languages of mine and I use them daily, whether it is speaking or writing them.

My first second language (well, third, actually) was of course English. I've been learning it since I was in elementary school. Some of you might have heard about how terrible are Spaniards at speaking languages :lol: That's mainly because of the poor way of teaching English at schools. The system we use is nearly translating-only, with almost no use of actual speaking (a big part of my English lessons at school have been in Spanish (or Galician), as conflicting as it might be). Almost all the English I've learnt comes from media or the Internet, or at least that's what has helped me achieve the current level I have. I got a C1 certificate three and a half years ago,. I know, I know, language certificates are not that important and the lack of one doesn't imply a lack of knowledge, but since I really enjoy learning languages, my parents have always pushed me to get them, since they can be a really helpful tool in the search of a job in the future, specially if that language is English. Since then, I haven't actively studied English. Reaching a C2 level is a personal goal of mine, but I'm definitely not there yet (and I'm not actually sure what to do to get there other than keep consuming media as I do everyday.

When I started high school, I had to choose a second foreign language. The options were French, German and Portuguese. I didn't have a passion for learning languages then, but I really enjoyed it. I chose German as it seemed an exotic and original language for me (French and Spanish are somehow similar, but Portuguese and Galician are really close, as they were the same language 600 years ago). After I finished high school, I kept trying to improve my German, as it is probably my favourite language of all that I've ever studied. As a result, I have three hours of private lessons of German a week (two hours of grammar and one of speaking). I passed the B1 exam more or less a year and a half ago, and I would say that right now I'm between a B1 and a B2. My greatest virtue is writing (I already passed B1 with a score of 93% in writing), but I lack a wide vocabulary and after all this time I keep guessing noun genders at random unless they end in -e/-ung/-nis/-keit, etc. :roll:

While I was in high school, I had an exchange with Täby, Sweden for two months. Since everyone speaks almost perfect English there, I didn't bother to learn more than basic expressions and words in Swedish, despite I was living with an actual Swedish family. Of course, I deeply regret that, but I don't think that in only two months I could have achieved a high level in Swedish. I haven't resumed it yet, since I don't feel confident enough with my German to do it, and I really messed up my German for some months after I came back from Sweden (I remember thinking "Obst" meant "cheese" in German instead of "fruit", as it reminded me of the Swedish word "ost").

When I had only one year left of high school, I hesitated whether a should study a Maths degree or a language related one at university. It might sound opposite, but for me pure math is quite close to having its own language and I don't find them that different. I finally decided to study Maths, as I find easier to study languages on my own and there's not actual degree where you just learn a bunch of languages (sadly).

At some point I dabbled in Hungarian, as I wanted to try a "difficult" language. It was summer then and I didn't know a lot about language learning resources, so I didn't have the motivation to keep going and I invest almost no time in it. I probably can't remember more than 20 words and how to make plurals :lol:

Currently I am in my third year of university and I wanted to try something new and I started with Russian language almost a month ago. Could I have chosen something easier for me? Maybe Portuguese or Italian? Sure, but Cyrillic looked cool as hell :lol: I've only use the mainstream resources so far: Duolingo, Clozemaster and Assimil. As I'm not in a rush and university is quite demanding for me, I take it slow (so far I've only reached lesson 10 in Assimil), but I'm happy with the progress I've made. Russian phrasal structure doesn't look odd anymore, I'm able to pronounce every Cyrillic letter (well, maybe not ы :lol: ) and to tell them apart, and I'm more than happy with it :D

I hope to keep updating this log and to discuss another language-related topic in the forum, and maybe even join some study groups (but I'm actually not sure if I should, as these study groups seemed to be more aimed at more advanced users and my Russian is quite weak yet) :D
Last edited by Fuvilensis on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 x
I appreciate corrections in any language :D

Assimil Russian: 18 / 100

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Re: Fuvilensis' Log (EN/DE/RU)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Ya hablas muchas lenguas a solo 19 anos. Muy bien. Te gusta el método Assimil para aprender el ruso?
Yo no podría nunca estudiar matemáticas. Soy demasiado tonto para eso. Disculpe, mi espanol no es bueno, soy solo un pequeno novato (no lo estudio en este momento, no tengo mucho tiempo, pero un dia lo haré). Pero tuve ganas de escribir un poco en espanol.
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Welcome! I look forward to reading about your adventures with Russian and other languages. Your English is quite impressive; I think the only thing you'd need to pass the C2 exam is some test prep to get comfortable with the tasks. I don't know how the English exams are, but I've read that there is a very slight difference between the Italian CILS C1 and C2, so I imagine that might hold true for other languages, as well. I bet you will reach this goal sooner than you think!
3 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Fuvilensis
White Belt

Postby Fuvilensis » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:Ya hablas muchas lenguas a solo 19 anos. Muy bien. Te gusta el método Assimil para aprender el ruso?
Yo no podría nunca estudiar matemáticas. Soy demasiado tonto para eso. Disculpe, mi espanol no es bueno, soy solo un pequeno novato (no lo estudio en este momento, no tengo mucho tiempo, pero un dia lo haré). Pero tuve ganas de escribir un poco en espanol.

Sí, en líneas generales estoy muy contento con Assimil. Me parece sencillo e intuitivo y siento que progreso muy rápido, aunque también es cierto que no uso más métodos similares con los que compararlo. La gran pega que le veo es que, al menos en la edición de ruso, se supone que tienes que escribir en cirílico cursivo desde el primer día y sin embargo no explican cómo es el trazo de cada letra cursiva mediante flechas (quiero decir, dónde empezar a escribir y dónde terminar). Tambien habría agradecido textos más largos o las propias lecciones escritas en cursiva para acostumbrarme a leer algo más que palabras sueltas de esta forma, pero quizás es mucho pedir. Es por eso que he decidido aparcar el ruso escrito para más adelante, cuando tenga mejor base del idioma y encuentre mejores recursos para hacerlo.

¡Y tu español es bastante bueno teniendo en cuenta que no lo estás estudiando ahora mismo! Así que no te preocupes, seguro que cuando lo retomes recuperarás nivel muy rápido :)

(EN: Yes, I'm really happy with Assimil in general terms. I find it easy and intuitive and I feel like I'm getting better really fast, though I have no other methods to compare it to. The main flaw, at least regarding to Russian edition, is that you're supposed to write in cursive cyrillic since day one but you're never explained how to trace every letter with the aid of arrows (I mean, where to begin with each letter and where to finish). I would have appreciated longer texts or the lessons themselves to be written in cursive too, in order to get used to reading something more than isolated words this way, but maybe I'm demanding too much. That's why I've decided to put written Russian on hold, until I have a better basis and I found better resources to do it.

¡Your Spanish is really good taking into account that you are not studying it at the moment! You don't have to worry, I'm sure you'll get a lot of level back once you resume it. )

StringerBell wrote:Welcome! I look forward to reading about your adventures with Russian and other languages. Your English is quite impressive; I think the only thing you'd need to pass the C2 exam is some test prep to get comfortable with the tasks. I don't know how the English exams are, but I've read that there is a very slight difference between the Italian CILS C1 and C2, so I imagine that might hold true for other languages, as well. I bet you will reach this goal sooner than you think!

I appreciate your words a lot, since they are coming from a native English speaker :D What you say is probably true for English as well and maybe I only need specific preparation for the test. Anyway, currently English is not my focus and I'd rather get better at German and Russian, as in the world we live in nowadays is nearly impossible for one's English to get weaker ;)
3 x

Fuvilensis
White Belt

Postby Fuvilensis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Here goes a little recap of how the end of last week was regarding language learning.

German
Nothing special, except I'm commiting to at least do a 150 word essay (as asked in official B2 exam) about a different topic that I see in a random article once a week. My first one was about handling stress at work or as a student.

This pushed me to try to go in a few days to the Faculty of Philology's library in order to get a book in German and carry out the most popular method I've read in this forum (one page of intensive reading, 24 of extensive and so on). I'm sure this will boost my vocabulary and grammar (everything that can help me to correctly assign genres is more than welcome :oops: ). Still deciding what kind of book I should get, and probably I won't make my mind up until the very last minute.

Russian
I only did one more lesson (11) since this weekend was really hectic. I'd like to get to lesson 14 at least this week, since it's a review. I know it's a slow pace and a humble goal, but I don't have all the time I'd like and Russian lessons are really tiring for me. Being a perfectionist doesn't help either.

I also got really frustrated with Clozemaster. I'm tired of seeing sentences where Теперь and Сейчас, or Вот and Здесь are completely interchangeable but turns out I chose the wrong one. I know there's a difference and actually Clozemaster really helped me to understand it, but it's impossible to guess which one is right in sentences with almost no context, unless I rely on memorization. And that's not what language learning is about. Anyway, I'll probably make up with CM since it's by far the resource that has helped me the most so far.

But, hey! I least I have a 41-day strike in Duolingo! :lol:

Edit: I've also found a song that I really love and is very easy to understand, since the video has English subtitles and the lyrics are pretty slow. Yay!

2 x

Fuvilensis
White Belt

Postby Fuvilensis » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 am

Really happy with my progress this week, finally.

RU: Yesterday I reached lesson 13 in Assimil Russian and I was able to recognise a lot of words even in the first blind listen just because of Duolingo and Clozemaster.

Precisely regarding to CM, me and the app have made peace and I'm using it daily again.

DE: Ich habe Mord im Orient-Express diese Woche angefangen. Natürlich verstehe ich nicht alles, aber ich suche ab und zu manchen Worte. Ich liebe Agatha Christie und deswegen las ich das Buche vor Jahren, und ich weiß Christies Bücher sind sehr beliebt um etwas in Fremdsprache zu lesen.

My goal for this weekend is to work with at least lesson 14 in Assimil Russian (if I reach lesson 15 that would be awesome) and keeping my current pace with Duolingo, Clozemaster and my German book :D

Edit: Typos.
1 x

Fuvilensis
White Belt

Re: Fuvilensis' Log (EN/DE/RU) | ¡Idiomas, querida!

Postby Fuvilensis » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 pm

After the successful last week, I wasn't able to follow that awesome pace. Proof of that is the lack of updates in my log :oops:

I've done Clozemaster every single day for English, German and Russian and I also keep my Russian strike in Duolingo. Thanks to CM I've learned the beautiful English word pang. Its meaning might not be that delightful, but its sound, nearly onomatopoeic, is really pleasant.

I've only done four more lessons of Russian Assimil this week and I'm now at number 17. It might not sound that bad, but some days I had enough time for keeping with the book and I put it off all over again for later until it's time to go to bed. In a few weeks I will start my mid-terms and then I will wish for all the hours I've lost :? Anyway, I've crossed the psychological barrier that is lesson 14 (from lesson 15 on, audio is no longer slow-paced and it's quite close to be like a real conversation).

I also did little progress with my German book. Hope next week is more fruitful!

Apart from that, I've changed the log's title to make it more attractive (Fuvilensis' log looked really flat on its own, didn't it?). You may wonder where it comes from. Idiomas, querida (which would more or less translate to It's languages, sweetie!) is a famous catchphrase in Spain who comes after one popular character from Spanish tabloids was mocked on live TV for its over-exaggerated English accent. Here I leave the video :lol:

2 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 am

Fuvilensis wrote:

Jajaja, divertido, voy a utilizar esa frase.

(from lesson 15 on, audio is no longer slow-paced and it's quite close to be like a real conversation).

It gets faster, but real life speed is still something else. I'm at lesson 65/66 (Dutch) now and compared to Dutch TV it's still kind of slow and very clearly pronounced (which is good, of course).
1 x

Fuvilensis
White Belt

Postby Fuvilensis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:It gets faster, but real life speed is still something else. I'm at lesson 65/66 (Dutch) now and compared to Dutch TV it's still kind of slow and very clearly pronounced (which is good, of course).

Yes, it's great that the audio is clear enough, but hearing such a sudden change was such a real shock :lol:
I guess it's just a matter of time, now I can recall first lessons from memory and they seem really slow-paced for me. Maybe it will be the same with these new ones in a couple of months (fingers crossed).
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:07 pm

I've been using Clozemaster a lot and the issue with Russian is that there are too many sentences which are nearly or actually the same and so you spend too much time"reviewing" unnecessarily. I have much better results with decks at 20.000 sentences at most. For Russian for example I'm reviewing through the Russian/Greek deck which is much shorter than Russian from English, but even so I stil think there's too much of the same.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “Language logs”