Shouko's Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Shouko
White Belt
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:54 am

Spoonary wrote:Pero ¡qué genialidad, por favor! :lol:

Me encanta, en serio. Ojalá pudiera yo crear algo tan guay :)

Jeje, gracias. :lol: ¡Y estoy segura que sí! Me gustaría leer tu historia. 8-)
1 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:55 pm

This week was crazy. :shock: I arrived on Monday in Soria after a journey of nearly 20 hours in the car. I spent the first two days organising everything with my familiy (buying some things for my flat/room; visiting the city and memorising all the important spots and shops, etc.). And I already had my first classes yesterday. Fortunately, my tutor is very nice, and I also have classes with her (Traducción C/A Alemán). Sooo yeah, I will be pretty busy the next few days and I also have to write a term paper in English soon (ugh) so I guess I can kiss my free time goodbye. :lol:

Reading

Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Harry Potter y la cámara secreta ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban 11%

I have finished Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal and I have also started and finished the second volume! They are the perfect books for a stressful time – fun and easy to read. :D

Listening

El Internado – Temporada 7: 12|15 Capítulos

I have only watched one episode of El Internado, but on the other hand, I spent the last days speaking with my tutor at the university and my new housemate, I was visiting the city and was trying to become acquainted with my new surroundings etc.

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 43|106 Unidades

Aaaaand here are some photos of the city! :D

Image ImageImageImage ImageImage
2 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:18 pm

On Monday was El día de orientación, and therefore I was visiting Valladolid with all the other Erasmus students from my city, since Soria is only a campus of the 'real' University (there are two more cities with campuses + the whole main faculties in Valladolid). It was pretty, um, exhausting but also very exciting. The city is very beautiful, and I took a bunch of photos. 8-)

Reading

Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego 37%

I'm turning slowly but surely into a Potterhead. :lol: I loved the third book even more than the first two – it got much darker and the mystery was great! I have also completely forgotten what happened in the movies. I have never read Harry Potter before so this is my first time and it's been a long time since I have watched the movies... I didn't even know about Hogsmeade. :oops: I already started the fourth book and I'm loving it! Also, I have some quotes to share (no worries, no spoilers!).

Harry pensó de repente lo rara que le parecería aquella imagen a cualquier muggle que se presentara en aquel momento por allí: nueve personas, entre las cuales había dos hombres adultos, sujetando en la oscuridad aquella bota sucia, vieja y asquerosa, esperando...

– Y te has fijado en tu madre, Malfoy? – preguntó Harry. Tanto él como Hermione sujetabana a Ron por la túnica para impedir que se lanzara contra Malfoy– . Esa expresión que tiene, como si estuviera oliendo mierda, la tiene siempre, o sólo cuando estás tú cerca?

The mental image of all these people holding an old shoe and waiting for something is just too hilarious... and THAT sick burn from Harry. :lol:

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 50|106 Unidades

Sadly I'm not posting much on the forum, but I hope that I can be more active soon (and also do some prompts and actually post something in our Club de lectura thread!).
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:37 pm

I wrote a short 'story' for a course that kind of got more poetic than I'd intended. :lol:

¿Qué es azul?

El cielo, que parece ser un mar de infinidad
y te acompaña incluso si no te sientas bien.
Tus calcetines favoritos, que resplandecen en un color tan frío,
pero que son tan cómodos y calientes.
Y tus ojos, que están uniendo ambas cosas,
mirandome con una profunda intensidad
y escondiendo un brillo cálido
detrás de una fresca fachada.

Reading

Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Harry Potter y la Orden del Fénix 46%
El Tiempo entre costuras 6%

The fourth book was amazing! And I even finished it pretty fast, yay. I really loved Hermione in this book, it's great to see how she fights for the things she believes in. And she supported Harry even when no one else was there for him (Ron, you JERK!). I'm currently devouring the next book and would really like to slap Umbridge in the face. :')
Also, I have to confess that I'm pretty far behind in El Tiempo entre costuras... :oops: When I'm not procrastinating to write my term paper, I usually read HP (it's an urge, okay?!), but I have already decided to read all the chapters of El Tiempo entre costura to be 'up-to-date' before starting the next HP book.

Listening

El Internado – Temporada 7: 14|15 Capítulos

DAT plot twist. I love El Internado but even I have to say that it's good that it ends this season. It seems that a lot of things just happen so that the conflict can drag on.

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 53|106 Unidades

I didn't have enough motivation this week to do an unit every day. Hmm, or maybe that's just because of the imperative... :?
2 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Reading

Harry Potter y la Orden del Fénix ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Harry Potter y el misterio del príncipe 72%
El Tiempo entre costuras 15%

The ending of the fifth book was quite depressing. :cry: Also, I can't remember if the „A Weasley vamos a coronar“-song was in the movie or not, but I thought it was hilarious. :lol:

And here's my HP quote of the week!

–Sí, «señor» –lo corrigió Snape.
–No hace falta que me llame «señor», profesor –replicó Harry impulsivamente.

Listening

El Internado – Temporada 7: 15|15 Capítulos

I have finally finished El Internado! I'm really sad about something that happened at the end... not everyone can get a happy ending, I guess. <_< I still have to think about what series I want to start next – there's just so much to choose from!

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 60|106 Unidades
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:56 pm

I think it is great you are working through the gramática de uso del español book. I did the B version and REALLY loved it. I agree with you that the books seem easier than they should be for the given level (at least that was the feeling I had with the B book). I am also jealous of your travels... great photos. Enjoy everything.
1 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:38 pm

James29 wrote:I think it is great you are working through the gramática de uso del español book. I did the B version and REALLY loved it. I agree with you that the books seem easier than they should be for the given level (at least that was the feeling I had with the B book). I am also jealous of your travels... great photos. Enjoy everything.

Well, the very first units of the books weren't that demanding, but the more recent ones are actually quite difficult for me. :lol: They all deal with the subjuntivo, and I still have problems to come up with the right forms immediately. Right now, I'm just concentrating on understanding the basics of all the functions, but I probably will have to look through all the units with the subjuntivo again after finishing the whole book.

And thank you! :)
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Uhm, I don't have that much to report. I had afternoon classes this week and I also have been pretty tired these last days, so I haven't done as many units as I'd have liked. I also have to finally finish my term paper this weekend. :cry:

Reading

Harry Potter y el misterio del príncipe ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Harry Potter y las Reliquias de la Muerte 19%
El Tiempo entre costuras 18%

I'm nearing the end of the series (sadly). I think I started Harry Potter at the perfect time; I rarely have to look up words, most of them are just really easy to understand with the help of the context. It's a great feeling to enjoy long books in Spanish without any struggle. :') *coughs*Eltiempoentrecosturas*coughs* I think I'm also going to read the HP short stories. 8-)

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 64|106 Unidades
1 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Again, I didn't do anything exciting this week, but I guess I could talk about some of my university courses.

Traducción y Cultura: We had to read Things Fall Apart, which I didn't like... uhm, at all, and we have discussed some differences between the different Spanish translations of the book. The course is alright, nothing really new since I already had some courses about cultural studies. However, we will have to write a very short trabajo escrito (3 pages)… a-another term paper… oh, the joy. :(

Traducción Publicitaria (Inglés)
: This sounds more complicated than it actually is. We have to read some documents about advertisment (definition, structure, types, etc.), and then we usually get some homework, which we have to do as a small group of 3 people. I'm working together with my two housemates, so it's pretty easy, hehe. 8-)

Reading

Harry Potter y las Reliquias de la Muerte ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
El Tiempo entre costuras 18%

I can't believe that I have finished the whole series! =O The beginning was kind of slow-paced, but still very interesting, and I was shocked how many people died later on. The epilogue, on the other hand, was... mehhh. THE NAMES. But oh well, I really really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the short stories! :D

Listening

4x Spanish Obsessed

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 72|106 Unidades

I wrote a haiku :')

¿Cómo funcionas,

maldito subjuntivo?

No lo comprendo.
3 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Traducción Inglés-Español: This class is pretty hard for me. The texts we have to translate are very subject-specific. Hell, I think that my comprehension of English isn't too shabby, but sometimes I have some problems to even understand what the text wants to tell me. It doesn't exactly help that my Spanish skills are still kind of underdeveloped.

Example:
Highlight “The Liar” treats a brief looping guitar riff as a beat for increasingly bothersome static to interrupt and pollute, before fading away to leave the loop on its own with soft, white noise backing.

Uh.... help?

Traducción Alemán-Español
: Ah, this class... 8-) The teacher (who's at the same time my tutor) is very nice, the texts aren't too long and the class is pretty small so that everyone can take part in the translation. The only problem I have, really, is that the teacher always asks me questions, such as “What do you think of this and that?“, „Do you know some other examples?“, „How would you interpret this and that?“. I'm a native, but that doesn't mean that I have an answer for everything (and it makes it nearly impossible to just shut off your brain for a few seconds... :lol:).

Reading

Quidditch a través de los tiempos ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
El Tiempo entre costuras 19%

Quidditch a través de los tiempos was a pretty fun book! You could even read the “reviews” of other people at the start of the book. :lol: I thought that was a nice touch to make it seem more real, haha. It's also very short, so I think this could be a nice book for beginners who already know the Harry Potter universe, but have trouble reading the main series.

I think one of my favourite parts was the motto of the Chudley Cannons team.

El lema del equipo se modificó en 1972: su «A por victoria» se cambió por un «Mantengamos los dedos cruzados y esperemos lo mejor».

:lol:

I'm also thinking about dropping El Tiempo entre costuras... :?

Listening

Frágiles – Temporada 1: 4|8 Capítulos

I have started Frágiles, a pretty drama heavy show. The jokes of the protagonist kinda got on my nerves at the beginning, but his behaviour gets more understandable when you see the end of the first episode. I guess he tries to appear more cheerful than he actually is. His “mistake”, let's just call it that, is a really big no-go to me, so I'm pretty interested to see what will happen at the end. I also like all his patients; their stories are interesting, and I'm excited to see even more development!

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 78|106 Unidades
1 x

Return to “Language logs”