3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: 28. Rosemary's Babushka (ru)

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am

Teango wrote:Russian #11 (3.7h)

Studied videos "Super Easy Russian" #1-10 and kept up with daily reviews (default).

I'm a bit under the weather this week, so I'm continuing to take things super easy in my Russian language studies. On a positive note, I finally bought a new (heavily discounted second-hand showroom) mattress, which is proving to be a real godsend for my back. Fingers crossed, investing in a better night's sleep will pay dividends in terms of consolidating vocabulary and grammar further down the road?

Phrase of the day: из огня да в полымя (idiom. out of the frying pan into the fire, lit. out of fire and into flame).
I watched a programme about back pain yesterday. Exercise they claim is the thing! :-)
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 pm

DaveAgain wrote:I watched a programme about back pain yesterday. Exercise they claim is the thing! :-)

Vielen Dank for the link, Dave! I've bookmarked this to watch later in one of my future German projects. I get a fair amount of exercise during the week, as I train for at least 1-2 hours in martial arts every day (black belt test coming up in November!) However, all the bumps and bruises aside, I'd venture a guess that 90% of my back pain probably stems from a foolish combination of daily horseplay with two young kids and occasional bouts of overambitious DIY to keep the missus happy. ;)
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby IronMike » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:28 pm

Wow! I've never seen полымя as flame before. Multitran tells me it is quite poetic/folkloric. Thanks for this!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Teango
Blue Belt

29. Thyme to rise and shine (ru)

Postby Teango » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:45 pm

Russian #13 (5.3h)

Discussed Russian food and music, and read a chapter of an easy reader (Gogol, "Taras Bulba").

I forgot how easy an easy reader can be compared to standard pulp fiction. I read a butchered version of "Taras Bulba" for half an hour and knew pretty much every word, which I must admit, was a very different experience from reading Маринина or Лукьяненко. However, despite the benefit of higher lexical coverage and more complete comprehension, abridged and simplified literature is just not for me. Once all the petals have been plucked and the perfume extracted, I feel I'm just left with a bunch of heartbroken stalks. To each their own though.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
4 x

Eafonte
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), english (B2-ish), german (B1), russian (intermediate), spanish (reading and listening).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17202

Postby Eafonte » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:11 pm

Teango wrote:Russian #11 (3.7h)

Phrase of the day: из огня да в полымя (idiom. out of the frying pan into the fire, lit. out of fire and into flame).

I stumbled across and learned this idiom while reading Pushkin's "Капитанская дочка" (chapter XIII, page 109):

Мы отправились далее. Стало смеркаться. Мы приближились к городку, где, по словам бородатого коменданта, находился сильный отряд, идущий на соединение к самозванцу. Мы были остановлены караульными. На вопрос: кто едет? – ямщик отвечал громогласно: «Государев кум со своею хозяюшкою». Вдруг толпа гусаров окружила нас с ужасною бранью. «Выходи, бесов кум! – сказал мне усастый вахмистр.1 – Вот ужо тебе будет баня, и с твоею хозяюшкою!»
Я вышел из кибитки и требовал, чтоб отвели меня к их начальнику. Увидя офицера, солдаты прекратили брань. Вахмистр повел меня к майору. Савельич от меня не отставал, поговаривая про себя: «Вот тебе и государев кум! Из огня да в полымя… Господи владыко! чем это все кончится?» Кибитка шагом поехала за нами.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt

30. Raining cats and dogs (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:37 am

Russian #14 (2.1h)

Discussed favorite books and places I've lived, and engaged in some small talk with Russian parents outside school.

Another tough start to the week, but I made sure I did a little something in Russian every day, no matter how hard it proverbially rained down on me. Up till now, I've managed to keep the chain going and complete 9 projects in a row, which is a personal best for this little кузнечик hopping between the drops!

Lifestyle upgrade: No more sugar in my tea (every calorie counts).
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

31. Milk and cookies (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:02 am

Russian #15 (2.9h)

Spent a little more time on places I've lived, self-talk, and occasional Russian chitchat with my wife.

I'm at a stage where I can talk in Russian for extended periods of time without too much pain, so long as I've warmed up to the task first. However I'm still floating around inside a foreign-friendly bubble, full of kindergarten vocabulary, slippery slides of the tongue, and mischievous monkey bars syntax. This is something I hope to break out of, or at the very least, expand beyond and get a firmer grip on over the coming months.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

32. Home, Gym (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:20 am

Russian #16 (2.2h)

Discussed getting in shape, transcribed Russian pop music, and watched some Easy Russian.

With just a month remaining until my black belt test, I've decided to change things up a gear and marry language learning with physical exercise, all in the hopes of helping them bring out the best in each other. This doesn't mean I'm doing superman burpees while reciting Pushkin, but rather, taking turns to practice my Russian and work out for a bit in the living room. Who knows, maybe I'll make some noticeable gains in both by the end of a month...
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: 32. Home, Gym (ru)

Postby IronMike » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 am

Teango wrote:Russian #15 (2.2h)

With just a month remaining until my black belt test...

I probably missed it in here somewhere, but what style/art?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Teango
Blue Belt

Re: 32. Home, Gym (ru)

Postby Teango » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:22 am

IronMike wrote:I probably missed it in here somewhere, but what style/art?

Uechi-ryū (上地流), Okinawan karate-dō. Do you train or have any experience in martial arts yourself, Mike?
Last edited by Teango on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”