3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: 32. Home, Gym (ru)

Postby IronMike » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Teango wrote:
IronMike wrote:I probably missed it in here somewhere, but what style/art?

Uechi-ryū (上地流), Okinawan karate-dō. Do you you train or have any experience in martial arts yourself, Mike?

Did aikido for a couple years in my mid-30s and loved it, but nothing since. Too many hobbies already. ;)
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

33. Superdaddy (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 pm

Russian #17 (2h)

Kept the engine ticking over with some self-talk, dinner table chitchat, and light reviews.

Already benched due to injury, I'll be taking a break from daily exercise and resting up for the rest of the week. It's Discoverers' Day here in Hawaii (previously known as Columbus Day), so I've spent most of my time doing crazy fun things with my kids over the long weekend. And I dare say, I may have gotten a little overambitious and carried away...hence the injury. :roll: As for Russian, I haven't had time to get into much else beyond the "super-daddy" zone, but have higher hopes for making up for lost time in the next project.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

34. Crawling across the doldrums (ru)

Postby Teango » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 am

Russian #18 (1.2h)

Kept in touch with Russian through daily reviews and writing a mini-story.

I almost quit this week for a number of reasons I won't go into right now. Luckily, 3 Day Projects kept me going, even if only for a handful of minutes a day (every little bit helps). The beauty of this approach lies not only in its simplicity, but in the way it accommodates the learner on less spirited dreary days like these. I just need to remind myself to keep the wheels turning daily, stay on course, and stick with the plan. For I think it's a realistic and forgiving plan, and if I stay on track, I'll eventually reach higher cloudless ground.

Total time spent on Russian 3DPs so far: 100 hours.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

35. Balloons and cartoons (ru)

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 am

Russian #19 (0.5h)

Kept up with reviews and watched Russian cartoons with my daughter.

This week was occasion for double celebration: My son had a birthday and I was awarded my first black belt! Needless-to-say, I've been rushed or literally swept off my feet, so language study has taken a back seat to other projects.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 x

Teango
Blue Belt

36. Little quantum leaps (ru)

Postby Teango » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:46 pm

Russian #20 (1.5h)

Thinking to myself in Russian and conversations with my wife.

B2+ in speaking LEVEL UP!
20 Russian projects Image

I've noticed over the years that progress doesn't so much ascend slowly over time, but makes little quantum leaps and breakthrough bounds. Today is one of those occasions, as according to my wife, my speaking level in Russian seems to have shinnied up from a sketchy to more solid B2 overnight. It's a small level up, but an important and motivating one for conversations with native speakers. Accuracy and fluency have certainly improved, and I feel more confident expressing myself in general, although vocabulary is still very much a work in progress. Oh boy..! ♫♫
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
8 x

Teango
Blue Belt

37. Karate Day (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 am

Russian #21 (1.4h)

Self-talk and instructional YT videos.

Up and out before the rising sun, I completed my first 100 Kata Challenge in the park in celebration of Karate Day (i.e., 1 kata, performed as a synchronized group, 100 times in a row). After this little warmup, I stubbornly went on to do some additional circuit training, followed by 50 further kata and forms from multiple martial arts systems. I'm simply ready to drop now! It was great to join up and talk story with the local Goju-kan guys at the event, and to share our love of budō and respect for our Okinawan roots. I'll give my body a chance to recover and let language learning take the conn this week.

Etymology of the day (spooky Halloween edition): застенчивый (shy) -> root: застенок (torture chamber!) :shock:
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: 37. Karate Day (ru)

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Teango wrote:Up and out before the rising sun, I completed my first 100 Kata Challenge in the park in celebration of Karate Day (i.e., 1 kata, performed as a synchronized group, 100 times in a row).

Yes! This I like.

Teango wrote:After this little warmup, I stubbornly went on to do some additional circuit training, followed by 50 further kata and forms from multiple martial arts systems.

Which forms and systems?
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Teango
Blue Belt

Re: 37. Karate Day (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Which forms and systems?

I've been into martial arts since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and I've been training on and off since I first stepped into an "old skool" boxing/kickboxing gym at the tender age of 6. And I've got to say, I simply love it! I try to do an hour or two a day, every day, and then train for several more hours in the park bright and early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Yeah I know, I've been told I'm a glutton for punishment.

Sadly I'm at that busy age, with work and looking after young kids, where it's impossible to keep up with everything I've learned along the way. And of course I also need to fit in some daily language learning and practice too! Nevertheless, I like to revisit or break out the occasional Quánfǎ or Tàijíquán form, maybe do some Judo or Russian Systema drills, and practice some of my early Shūkōkai karate kata when I get a moment. In addition to respecting teachers past and present, I believe it also helps keep the grey and white matter alive and well.

Last Sunday, I went through the rest of my Uechi-ryu kata several times, and then worked on a couple of Ngó Chó Kûn and Wing Chun forms I've been learning recently (the first 3 kata from Isshin-ryu were next on my list, but I just didn't get around to it). But believe me, after those 100 kata (Kanshiwa) in the pouring rain and an additional few hundred jumping jacks, knuckle press-ups, and crunches, I had to call it a day at about 50 more forms and kata. My wife was not impressed with the state of me when I came home *lol* and I don't blame her. She's wonderfully patient, and I'm just a very lucky karate and language nerd.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

38. Споки-ноки (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:43 am

Russian #22 (1h)

Watched travel vlogs and delved further into the world of modern Russian slang.

I've been a fan of Bald and Bankrupt for years and am particularly enjoying Benjamin's current Trans-Siberian adventure across the Baikal–Amur Mainline. Lake Baikal is just stunning, almost otherworldly! With a substantial Russian fan base, the comments sections under his videos are a veritable goldmine of contemporary Russian.

I also watched several hard-hitting and heartbreaking documentaries in German about poverty around the world. This encouraged me to take a good hard look at my own life choices and think of ways I can become more part of the solution than the problem. I simply don't do enough to help, and that's on me. I can do better.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

39. 5 Little Pumpkins (ru)

Postby Teango » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:33 am

Russian #23 (1h)

Some self-talk, translation, and active listening to native conversations.

Sorry guys, not much language learning to report again. The long weekend was instead dedicated to all kinds of spooky antics for the kids, ranging from Halloween parties to candlelit pumpkin singalongs. I have, however, joined up for the current 6 Week Challenge with Russian (losing a day or two at the start). I already know the language to a higher initial level than the Challenge was originally intended, but to be fair, I really need the extra push to have any chance of breaking through to low advanced by Christmas.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”