3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Motivating moments: Hawaiian (Samoan?!)

Postby Teango » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:15 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:How I envy you, just having an indoor market called Ohana Hale. To me the very name would make every food inside taste super delicious. What's the Hawaiian, or even the Samoan, word for "yummy"?

Your instincts are spot on, there were indeed plenty of tasty-looking stalls inside. And what I liked best about the place is that it was designed to support local businesses, startups, and entrepreneurs. To try and answer your question...if food is really delicious, we could say ʻono loa in Hawaiian, or ʻono or brok da mout in Pidgin (which is what you'd more likely hear from locals). I think I've heard Samoans say something like mānaia but I could be wrong, maybe some Samoan speakers could chime in here (it's always such a useful phrase to know in any language)?
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

22. Easier Russian 1 (ru)

Postby Teango » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:00 am

Russian #6 (3 hours)

Listening: 1h (B1); Reading: 1h (B1); Writing: 1h (B2); Speaking: Occasional (B2).

A gentle return to my language studies and the beautiful Russian vernacular. I've finally taken the plunge and signed up to Easy Russian on Patreon and am enjoying all their bonus resources (e.g., videos without subtitles, bilingual transcripts, and word lists). I've also started reading what appears to be a trashy crime novel (Александра Маринина, "Когда боги смеются") on my wife's recommendation that she personally wouldn't read it but the vocabulary looks simple *lol* - hm, we'll see how that goes...

Phrase of day: [книга] "очень запала в душу" (lit. [the book] really sank into my soul).
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
11 x

Teango
Blue Belt

23. Easier Russian 2 (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Russian #7 (5.1 hours)

Listening: 20m; Reading: 87m; Writing: 120m; Speaking: 64m.

The Easy Russian materials are just what the doctor ordered! Having a version of each video without subtitles is a real bonus for my listening skills, especially now I can fill in the gaps with a bilingual transcript afterward. On a more straining note, I'm really not enjoying Marinina's novel. This is partly because my reading proficiency is well below par, but most of all, because the story is boring and uneventful so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will get more gripping as I read on, but if that doesn't happen soon, I'll gladly jump ship and find a more compelling story that (in the words of Marie Kondo) "sparks joy".
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: 22. Easier Russian (ru)

Postby Radioclare » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 pm

Teango wrote:I've also started reading what appears to be a trashy crime novel (Александра Маринина, "Когда боги смеются") on my wife's recommendation that she personally wouldn't read it but the vocabulary looks simple *lol* - hm, we'll see how that goes..

I read a book by Александра Маринина earlier this year (a different one, but the same series I think) and I quite enjoyed it :D It was the first (/only!) book I've read in Russian that hasn't been a translation from English, so I was a bit nervous about how I was going to get on with it, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised by how accessible it was. Obviously still lots of vocabulary that I didn't know, but not so much that I couldn't follow the plot. I do secretly enjoy reading trashy crime fiction though :lol:
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Re: 22. Easier Russian (ru)

Postby Teango » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:34 am

Radioclare wrote:I read a book by Александра Маринина earlier this year (a different one, but the same series I think) and I quite enjoyed it

Congrats on finishing "Смерть и немного любви" - малодец! I'm hoping too that once I get further into the story, things will start to heat up in "Когда боги смеются". Mr Paperwhite, wait up...!
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

24. Little Crumbs (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:53 pm

Russian #8 (48m)

Reading: 28m; Speaking: 5m; Writing: 15m.

Lots of work on my plate this week! I nibbled on a few крошек (crumbs) of Russian in order to keep up some level of momentum, and had a chat in a mixture of English and Russian with another parent after picking up my kids from school yesterday (not included in my study time above). I felt bad afterwards as I had a golden opportunity to switch over fully to Russian but sorely lacked confidence at the time. To help remedy this in future encounters, I aim to focus more on speaking in future projects.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

25. Tabula Rasa (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:56 am

Russian #9 (5h)

Listening: 8m; Reading: 108m; Speaking: 185m.

I've been playing around with my daughter's Fire tablet in an attempt to arrange a more comfortable e-reading experience for bilingual transcripts (my Kindle Paperwhite falls painfully short in terms of my study needs and is more suited to extensive reading). For now, I've settled on Moon+ for reading, and Solid Explorer for file management, both of which boast an excellent array of customizable features (they're not perfect, but they'll certainly do the trick). Now I've got the tech sorted, it's time to give it a proper test drive...
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

26. A Touch of Parsley (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:15 am

Russian #10 (8h)

Studied "Super Easy Russian" videos #15-28.

10 Russian projects Image

I'm seasoning my "Easy Russian" experience with some lighter but super helpful "Super Easy Russian" video clips. Having acquired a rather eclectic Russian vocabulary over the years, I'm always pleasantly surprised to discover simple everyday "must-have" words and phrases I still don't know. It's also just nice to ease up and catch my breath, put on a cuppa (or as we say in Wexford, "wet the tea"), and relax with less demanding materials for a while...ahhhhh...*slurp*.

Word of the day: петрушка (parsley).
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

27. Great Sage (ru)

Postby Teango » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 am

Russian #11 (4h)

Studied videos "Super Easy Russian" #11-14 and "Easy Russian Basic Phrases" #1-10.

I recently read that the Latin root for sage is "salvus" (safe and unharmed) when referring to a herb and "sapere" (knowledge and wisdom) when referring to a legendary philosopher of yore. This project combines a little of both, I hope, in the sense that I learned a lot and am relatively unscathed in the process. Sometimes it's simply wholesome and stimulating to return to shoshin (初心, "a beginner's mind[set]") and celebrate the basics once again.

Phrase of the day: Чокнемся! (Cheers!, lit. Let's clink our glasses!)
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 am, edited 12 times in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

28. Rosemary's Babushka (ru)

Postby Teango » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 am

Russian #12 (3.7h)

Studied videos "Super Easy Russian" #1-10 and kept up with daily reviews (default).

I'm a bit under the weather this week, so I'm continuing to take things super easy in my Russian language studies. On a positive note, I finally bought a new (heavily discounted second-hand showroom) mattress, which is proving to be a real godsend for my back. Fingers crossed, investing in a better night's sleep will pay dividends in terms of consolidating vocabulary and grammar further down the road?

Phrase of the day: из огня да в полымя (idiom. out of the frying pan into the fire, lit. out of fire and into flame).
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”