3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

8. Tag-along beta tester (tl).

Postby Teango » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am

Try out @Leosmith's new online grammar course (Tagalog Lite, currently in beta) and provide user feedback: 9 hours.

I’ve made my way through just over a third of the course so far, leaving corrections and suggestions in my wake as I go. Each chapter and appendix unlocks new mysteries, and I feel my grasp of the language’s grammar is slowly but surely starting to fall into place.
Last edited by Teango on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Motivating moments: Romanian

Postby Teango » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

While my family and I were out walking one evening last week, we met a couple with 2 children selling slingshot helicopters with LEDs by the side of the beach. Hearing the family were from Romania, I tried out a few of the phrases I learned during my sixth 3 Day Project ("Golden phrases") and the whole family lit up. And when I offered to pay, they handed one to my daughter and said it was on the house. What a lovely surprise! :)
Last edited by Teango on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Motivating moments: Tagalog

Postby Teango » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:11 am

I used Tagalog to buy a couple of items in a local convenience store this morning. The lady was happy to hear her native language for a change, and in the course of our short conversation, asked me if I'd lived in the Philippines. When I said I'd never been but would like to visit one day, a look of worry spread across her face. Then she softened to a big beaming smile again, and with a knowing sparkle in her eye, declared: "Ahhh...your wife must be from the Philippines...that's it!"
Last edited by Teango on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

9. The donkey was waiting at the door (ga).

Postby Teango » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am

Dive into Buntús Cainte and breathe life back into my moribund Irish: 8 hours.

Having completed almost half of the first textbook, I'm finally "back on the capall (horse)" after all these years... I absolutely love the melodious lilt of the Irish language, and the cheeky retro illustrations used throughout this course are great craic (fun)!
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

10. Sign me up, baby (ase).

Postby Teango » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 am

Study Baby Sign Language in preparation for my son learning it next year while at daycare: 3 hours.

With free time at a premium this week, I opted for the easiest project that came to mind. And this was a good choice on the whole, as learning several hundred ASL-based Baby Signs while up to my eyes in baby diapers and toddler tantrums turned out to be a relative crawl in the park.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

11. The tao of jan lawa lili: Part I (tok).

Postby Teango » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:34 am

Read a children's classic in a constructed language: 7 hours.

Having dabbled in Toki Pona over the years, I thought Michael Fridman's (heavily abridged) Toki Pona version of Antoine de Saint-Expuréry's "The Little Prince" would make a fun little project. Chapters were initially challenging and slow to decipher, but I soon got the hang of it and sped up with all the growing confidence of a cryptic crossword aficionado.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Pilin pona mute! Sine mije sona.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Teango
Blue Belt

Postby Teango » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:14 am

jan Seje o, pona! lon la pali ni pi tenpo suno tu wan li pona mute tawa mi. mi kin pilin sama e toki sona ni pi jan Sonja: "sin en ante li sin e lawa li pana e sona"! :)

(Thanks, Jeff! I really enjoyed this 3DP. I so agree with this proverb by Sonja Lang: "Novelty and change freshen the mind and bring insight".)
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt

12. The tao of jan lawa lili: Part II (tok).

Postby Teango » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:24 am

Finish reading Michael Fridman's translation of "The Little Prince" along with Sonja Lang's Toki Pona: The Language of Good: 8 hours.

B1 in reading LEVEL UP!

I believe there's real power in learning grammar and vocabulary through short and playful projects, and you don't necessarily need to wait until you've read a textbook or graduated a formal language course either. Completing some small journey or adventure in the language (in my case, reading a children's book over the last week) felt really empowering, and made the task of studying grammar afterwards a much more motivating and rewarding experience.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
7 x

Koneho
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (Best) Spanish (Second Best) Mandarin (Clasroom Commands only)

Postby Koneho » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am

Tokipona: Not interested in the communities lack of desire to grow the language beyond how it is. Not interested in the Eurocentrism that runs through the learners who're proficient. Tokipona functions a lot like an Austronesian language, esp a Polynesian one. If they'd beef up the vocabulary and quit be open to it being used as an aux lang, it'd have so much potential.

Hawaiian: I have to ask, have you found any Hawaiian communities online for chatting? I've been looking for speakers and the only one I've found is a grumpy old man on discord. (This is the reason I am gracing your humble log, and interrupting the regularly scheduled programming, sorry!)

Tagalog: Grats on starting your journey. I've been with the language for almost 2 years now, and its so rewarding. I also enjoy the feeling of having a big brain. The morphology is quite out there compared to most of the boring languages we see on ll.org. Leo's site in general is great for Tagalog. Hope it serves you well!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”