3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 am

Congrats again! :-)
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: 4. Notes from St Petersburg: Part II (ru).

Postby IronMike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Teango wrote:Go through the next 300 words and phrases noted down during my trip to Russia: 8h.

I’m a proud dad again (my wife gave birth to a handsome baby boy)!! And given that my feet have barely touched the ground, nor my head enjoyed the gentle caress of a pillow since, fitting in this project marks a monumental achievement.

Congrats! How many is that for you guys now? Know that one enters professional father-status upon the birth of his fourth child. Just sayin'. ;)
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: 4. Notes from St Petersburg: Part II (ru).

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Mahalo everyone for all the good wishes!

IronMike wrote:How many is that for you guys now? Know that one enters professional father-status upon the birth of his fourth child. Just sayin'. ;)

One of each so far, so I guess I'm barely breaking semi-pro... ;)
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

5. Finally Filipino (tl).

Postby Teango » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Study a small subset of words and phrases in Tagalog and other Filipino languages to enhance everyday conversation in Honolulu: 6 hours.

Out of respect to our extensive Filipino community here in Hawaiʻi, I finally got round to learning some Filipino (the official standardized form of Tagalog, used as a lingua franca in the Philippines and abroad to unite people across 182 indigenous languages!) It's amazing how peppering conversation with simple token phrases can lead to a spinning Wheel of Fortune of beaming smiles, suspicious snake eyes, and the occasional free dessert.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Motivating moments: Tagalog

Postby Teango » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I had a short conversation with a waitress in The Original Pancake House this morning while picking up some take-out breakfast for my wife and I. We chatted about work and family in Tagalog, and I received a big smile and fist bump at the end when leaving! I also made a Filipino taxi driver laugh out loud when I switched from Tagalog to Bisaya toward the end of our conversation (having heard that his mom speaks Bisaya too). Ayo-ayo! (take care) :)
Last edited by Teango on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

6. Golden phrases (multilingual).

Postby Teango » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:23 pm

Look up 5 useful expressions across 25 different languages: 5 hours.
(apc, ar, eo, es, it, uk, he, hi, hl, hr, ko, pl, pt, cs, da, fil, ja, ro, ru, sv, th, tr, vi, yue, zh)

I really enjoyed indulging my inner language nerd in this project, and have already used some of the phrases I learned across several new languages in the wild. I don’t know why I didn’t do this earlier?!
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
9 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 pm

A belated congratulations! So which language are you teaching him first?
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Postby Teango » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Bluepaint wrote:A belated congratulations! So which language are you teaching him first?

Thanks, Bluepaint! TL;DR: Baby sign language.

We tried to follow the recommended OPOL (One Person, One Language) approach with our first little one (English, Russian) with limited success. My daughter's receptive knowledge of Russian is ok within predictable domestic contexts, but it's far below that of a typical child her age in Russia (which is totally understandable given that she lives in the US and daddy is the talkative one in the family!) Her productive proficiency in Russian, however, was largely laid to rest once she started daycare at 18 months, and now she sounds like any other American of her age. There are flickering signs of hope that her productive Russian could be lovingly reignited with patience, persistence, and daddy speaking more Russian at home, but peer pressure seems to be the dominant factor here.

New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL), on the other hand, was a big success story with our first child! From the day she was born, I mirrored a lot of what I said in NZSL, having read it's initially easier for babies to learn how to communicate through sign language. This worked wonders, essentially empowering my daughter to communicate how she felt or what she wanted from a very early age. At 2-3 months, she was able to use a dozen signs consistently (most of them being her variation rather than true NZSL), and I can't overstate how incredibly useful that is for both infant and parents alike during the first year. And by 18 months, she already understood 400-500 signs receptively, and could use about 200 signs and variations productively. Once again, this all quickly disappeared after she started daycare, but that's ok. Adding NZSL to the mix gave her a big early advantage in her communicative development, and she turned out to be a very bright and talkative young girl.

With our second child, we might need to rethink our approach with Russian, however some form of sign language will definitely be on the menu. And as our little boy will be going to a daycare center earlier on where they teach baby sign language (most likely a highly simplified tiny subset of ASL) along with Spanish (*so excited*), it looks like I might need to learn some baby ASL... ;)
10 x

Teango
Blue Belt

7. My tailor is rich (fr).

Postby Teango » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 am

Kick-start my French back into action with the help of Assimil’s New (old) French with Ease: 11 hours.

Ignoring supplementary exercises, I pushed through more than half of this textbook and picked up a few hundred phrases for productive review along the way. My wife says it took her close to forever to finish this course, so I guess 63 lessons is a respectable result for 3 days.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: 7. My tailor is rich (fr).

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:37 am

Teango wrote:My wife says it took her close to forever to finish this course, so I guess 63 lessons is a respectable result for 3 days.
I think this, short daily lessons over a long period (5 months?), is Assimil's great strength.

As you're just refreshing rather than learning from scratch I realise that this is not necessary for you, but my current How To Learn A Language Theory is that you should look up a few words every day, and Assimil is a convenient pre-packaged option for that.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”