3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby Teango » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:58 am

Koneho wrote:Tokipona: Not interested in the communities lack of desire to grow the language beyond how it is. Not interested in the Eurocentrism that runs through the learners who're proficient. Tokipona functions a lot like an Austronesian language, esp a Polynesian one. If they'd beef up the vocabulary and quit be open to it being used as an aux lang, it'd have so much potential.

Toki Pona was originally created by a Canadian linguist as a "cute, little language" to help her fight through depression and "understand the meaning of life in 120 words". Inspired by Taoist philosophy, it encourages mindfulness and positive thinking, and I admit, I felt surprisingly pona (good) after completing these last two projects. I think a lot can be learned through taking time out to contemplate life in simpler terms, as life can indeed grow complicated and challenging at the best of times. And as a happy by-product, learning to read in Toki Pona also led to new language learning ideas and increased overall motivation and clarity, which I hope to pass on to new language projects.

Koneho wrote:Hawaiian: I have to ask, have you found any Hawaiian communities online for chatting? I've been looking for speakers and the only one I've found is a grumpy old man on discord. (This is the reason I am gracing your humble log, and interrupting the regularly scheduled programming, sorry!)

No worries, and sorry to hear you've encountered some "discord" on Discord. Unfortunately it can happen in any language, but in general, Hawaiians are super friendly and very considerate people. I haven't chatted online in Hawaiian as of yet, as I live in Hawai'i and can do this face-to-face. However it's an excellent question and I'll ask around.

Koneho wrote:Tagalog: Grats on starting your journey. I've been with the language for almost 2 years now, and its so rewarding. I also enjoy the feeling of having a big brain. The morphology is quite out there compared to most of the boring languages we see on ll.org. Leo's site in general is great for Tagalog. Hope it serves you well!

Maraming salamat! :) I agree, learning Tagalog has been very rewarding so far, and the people treat you almost like family after just a few phrases! I can't wait to jump into more of Leo's lessons and continue my journey.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

13. A soh dem gwaan! Part I (jam).

Postby Teango » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 am

Read a collection of funny stories in Jamaican Patois (Patwa): 3 hours.

Like sweet music to my ears, a mere phrase or two of Patwa brings a smile to my soul on the rainiest of days. Rather than dive into Jamaican movies and music (which is what I usually do), I purchased Joelle Wright's A Soh Dem Gwaan on Kindle (along with Jamaicasaurus for reference) and was not disappointed: I rarely laugh out loud this much while reading!
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

14. Liftoff in Russian (ru).

Postby Teango » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Conversation practice and vocabulary mining (travel; coronavirus; environment): 20 hours.

It's been an absolute age since I last posted here, but I'm back baby! In just three days, I've learned close to 500 new Russian words and phrases, and my wife assures me that both my fluency and accuracy have simply skyrocketed.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Teango
Blue Belt

17-19. "Iki dil iki insan!": Parts I-III (tr)

Postby Teango » Fri May 21, 2021 11:04 pm

Turkish #1-3

Speaking: 35 hours (study); Chs. 1-8/16 of "Teach Yourself Turkish": 8 hours (study)

A2 in speaking LEVEL UP!

The Turkish language is both beautiful and logical, even if it is admittedly wholly alien in terms of vocabulary, grammar, and syntax. After 3 projects and 43 hours of study, it's all starting to come together and make sense to me.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:19 am, edited 26 times in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

15-16. Pushing past Pulkovo (ru)

Postby Teango » Sun May 23, 2021 4:22 am

Russian #4-5

Speaking: 17 hours (study), 4 hours (practice); Writing: 1 hour (practice, free-writing on multiple topics)

B2 in speaking LEVEL UP!

I've been hovering around and doing flybys of mid-intermediate Russian for what feels like an eternity, hoping to one day get clearance from air traffic control to land on terra firma. With a couple more projects under my wings (back in April), I feel I've made a huge breakthrough in my speaking proficiency, and can now more comfortably think, dream, and hold long conversations in Russian: "Thanks for flying with Teango Airlines, and have a nice day!"
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am, edited 16 times in total.
6 x

Teango
Blue Belt

20. Milking it! (nzs)

Postby Teango » Wed May 26, 2021 8:34 pm

NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) #1

Signing: 7.5 hours (study), 0.5 hours (practice)

B1 in signing LEVEL UP!

Following a 4-year hiatus, I've started actively studying NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) again! Having helped my daughter communicate from a very early age, as well as being a lot of fun to learn and practice together, NZSL is once again proving its worth a second time around with my young son.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 am, edited 20 times in total.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

21. Tricked out Tricolore (fr)

Postby Teango » Sat May 29, 2021 9:39 am

French #2

Speaking: 2 hours (study), 1 hour (practice)

B1+ in speaking LEVEL UP!

After a bout of accelerated learning and a few short promenades, I'm able to talk about most topics in French with relative ease (albeit slowly for now, hence the B1+ rather than B2 estimate for speaking). Please keep in mind that I studied French in high school for less than a year as part of my GCSEs (over 3 decades ago!), and have since then probably only tacked on a further 80-90 hours of assorted activities over the past decade.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 19 times in total.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Motivating moments: Russian

Postby Teango » Mon May 31, 2021 6:02 am

My family and I just bumped into a Russian family in Whole Foods and got talking. The mom said my Russian was very good, and that it is rare to meet a non-native who speaks Russian so well. I'm just glad I didn't talk for longer and shatter the illusion, but I must admit, I did leave the supermarket with a chocolate cake under my arm and a smile on my face this evening. Ням ням)))
11 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Motivating moments: Hawaiian (Samoan?!)

Postby Teango » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:16 pm

While visiting the Ohana Hale indoor market yesterday (which is large enough to have street signs posted throughout), I thought I heard something like "Mai e ai!" (Come in and eat!) Delighted to hear a little Hawaiian, I replied back in Hawaiian. The owner of the stall and her friends were so impressed they gave my wife and I some lychees and red mountain apples, and then showed us around a bit, all while complementing me on my...Samoan...yeah, Samoan?! I guess my Hawaiian needs a lot of work but at least I'm in the right Polynesian ballpark, and I'll take the complement and free fruit with humble gratitude. ;)
11 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Motivating moments: Hawaiian (Samoan?!)

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Teango wrote:While visiting the Ohana Hale indoor market yesterday (which is large enough to have street signs posted throughout), I thought I heard something like "Mai e ai!" (Come in and eat!) Delighted to hear a little Hawaiian, I replied back in Hawaiian. The owner of the stall and her friends were so impressed they gave my wife and I some lychees and red mountain apples, and then showed us around a bit, all while complementing me on my...Samoan...yeah, Samoan?! I guess my Hawaiian needs a lot of work but at least I'm in the right Polynesian ballpark, and I'll take the complement and free fruit with humble gratitude. ;)

How I envy you, just having an indoor market called Ohana Hale. To me the very name would make every food inside taste super delicious. What's the Hawaiian, or even the Samoan, word for "yummy"?
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”