3 Day Projects (2019-2023)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby crush » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:28 am

Teango wrote:For everyday reading, I used to follow a fellow Hawaiian language learner on Learning the Hawaiian Language (lots of easy interesting articles i ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi with generous helpings of media related to living in Japan as a foreigner).

Thanks for this! I know they say they are a student of Hawaiian, do you think it's still a decent source to get started reading (and if it'd be better to start with the latest entries than the first entries)? It sounds like a great place to start building vocabulary and reinforcing the grammar i've learned so far in bite-sized articles, i just have never used so many resources created by non-natives before when learning any other language :D

And i agree, Keao NeSmith has done a huge service to Hawaiian, or at the very least to learners of the language. I will definitely pick up a copy of anything else he translates!

Sorry for taking over your log, i think i've got more than enough to get started now so i'll get back to my studies now!
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby Teango » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:10 pm

crush wrote:I know they say they are a student of Hawaiian, do you think it's still a decent source to get started reading (and if it'd be better to start with the latest entries than the first entries)?

When resources are hard to find, something is generally better than nothing. The main thing is to find interesting material or at least try and make the process as fun as possible if options prove arid. When you feel ready and have at least 1,000 words under your belt, why not set up a translation extension or app, find any article that piques your interest (on this or any website that has a wealth of material written in Hawaiian), and see how you get on...

With regards to a source meeting "acceptable standards" of some kind, it depends on what you want out of it. Personally, I'm not seeking perfection from the get-go, but gradual evolution and harmonization with nativelike thought and expression over time. It's a bit like learning a new style of dance. And in all honesty, I'm only a low-intermediate reader of Hawaiian so far, so I don't think I'm really qualified to judge anyway. What I can say is that I quickly lose interest if material is dry and boring, so I prize happy engagement and good habits over flawless grammar and nativelike usage. So long as it leads to me getting better and better at understanding, thinking, and communicating day by day. And as for the many linguistic failings and gaps in my knowledge, I know from experience that I'll fix many of them further down the road in the process of getting comfortably closer to my language goals over time.

With regards to the link I shared in the previous post, this guy has clearly produced and shared over a decade's worth of posts in Hawaiian with an abundance of cool pictures on a variety of interesting bite-size topics; yet another excellent example of maintaining a language via journalling in a foreign language. This was ideal for me to read at the time (after first finishing Ka Lei Haʻaheo). Not only is it accessible online, but the language he uses is super easy to understand from a grammatical point of view (so I'm guessing it's probably geared to low-intermediate readers and contains plenty of non-nativelike structures, like me ;) ).

crush wrote:Sorry for taking over your log...

No worries, brah. It always makes me happy to see someone take an interest in Hawaiian language and culture. And it's my kuleana to share the little that I know. So if I find anything suitable to read in the meantime, I'll pass it on...
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

77. Getting Genki (ja)

Postby Teango » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:06 am

Japanese #20 (3h)
  • Started 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge for August with Japanese.
  • Sneak peak of vocabulary from Chs. 6-11 in Genki I.
  • Watched 7 videos from "That Japanese Man Yuta".
  • Completed 20 Japanese projects in total! Image
As part of my initial 3-year pilot phase for 3 Day Projects, I've completed 76 projects in 12+ languages, totaling 433 hours, and it's been a blast! I'm amply convinced that this approach works well for me and my particular circumstances and is here to stay.

After a long hiatus due to a series of health setbacks (and still in recovery), this post marks my first language learning project of 2023 and the start of a new more serious and focused wave of "deployment". With a list of 11 languages in hand that I would like to earnestly advance in proficiency, I've decided to start with a Japanese experiment as part of the Forum's 30:30 Vocabulary Challenge for August (i.e., learn 30 new words a day for 30 days). I'll also need to review Genki I (Chs. 1-5), which I studied for a Japanese beginner's course at university last year, in preparation for the corresponding second half of the course that I've registered to audit this Fall. And it's been a while, so I'm quite rusty.

For ease and speed of implementation, and given it's already familiar territory, I've started with wordlists in Genki textbooks. Once reviews are out of the way, I'll go through the remaining Chs. 6-12 in Genki I first, and then move on to Genki II later. After that, I'm not too sure where to turn next. Hopefully Genki will be enough for the purposes of this challenge? I'd also like to complement vocabulary study with some broken Japanese dialogue (using ChatGPT) and actively watch interesting videos supported by English subtitles. I've already watched 7 "Day in the Life" videos on the Youtube channel "That Japanese Man Yuta" and have bookmarked Onomappu's "Life" playlist to try out next. For my present needs, I'm not particularly interested in further teaching and didactic materials, anime, current news events, or "interviews on the street". However I am looking for any cool videos that offer a genuine inside look at daily Japanese life and experiences from the perspectives of different sections of society, and that do so in natural colloquial Japanese speech. Listening is something I'd really like to work on, so if anyone here can recommend suitable playlists or channels in Japanese that fit this description, that would be immensely helpful?

がんばります! (I'll do my best!)

Last edited by Teango on Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
11 x

Teango
Blue Belt

78. Hale and Pace (ja)

Postby Teango » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:27 am

Japanese #21 (2h)
  • Reviewed Chs. 1-2 in Genki I
With the start of a new school year, increased hours at work, and our 13th cold of 2023 :!:, August is churning out a veritable hurricane of harpies. So my priority for language study this month is to prepare for my Japanese university course, which begins in just under 3 weeks. My secondary goal is to learn 900 new Japanese words for the "30:30 Challenge" (not including foreign loanwords in katakana), although there's a 0% chance of this following anything close to a clean trajectory of 30 words a day. In fact, I've decided to try out something new in terms of my core methodology and reserve Day #3 of each new project for write-ups only, starting today (see Revised Guidelines). Already chomping at the bit, my hope is that taking one day off in three will eventually pay dividends in terms of motivation, consistency, and overall study hours.

With regards to other languages, I'd like to recommend an Emmy Award-winning Turkish mini-series I watched earlier in the year called Sahsiyet (Persona, 2018). I was delighted with the originality of the plot, and the writing and actors were top-notch.

Overall, my fitness metrics seem to be gently on the rise, and I'm feeling a little better, so my fingers are firmly crossed that my health will continue to move in a positive direction and afford me more time on languages.

Last edited by Teango on Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Teango
Blue Belt

79. Steady as she goes (ja)

Postby Teango » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:08 am

Japanese #22 (1h) Image
  • Reviewed Chs. 1-3 in Genki I
Triple whammy...dong-dong-dong...cold/flu no. #14 struck yesterday evening! And it's hard for me to wrap my head around it, considering I've yet to fully shake off nos. #12 and #13. I know it's the start of a new school year and all, but man, what a year post-pandemic '23 has been for parents!! For me and the kids, symptoms are relatively mild so far, and even more unexpectedly, my health metrics continue to rise. However my wife is bedridden with high fever, so it's down to me to don the tricorn and tend to the motley crew and wounded warbirds this weekend. Usually under these circumstances, I would have ditched my language project altogether, but with extra time to write up and rest on Day #3 (and treating weekends as one long day), I'm steering a steady course and looking forward to my next project starting on Monday. Hey...maybe this new revision to the project guidelines really works!??

Last edited by Teango on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Teango
Blue Belt

80. Tour de Honolulu (ja)

Postby Teango » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:06 am

Japanese #23 (2h)
  • First wave of reviews up to Ch. 5 in Genki I
I've completed my first wave of reviews, revisiting material we covered in class last year. Yet given there are 12 chapters in each Genki textbook, I suspect my previous teacher may well have run out of time and skipped Ch. 6 altogether. Just in case, I'll take a look at Ch. 6 as part of my next project. After 9-12 months of inactivity, I've forgotten quite a lot of the material, so there's a fair amount of work ahead of me.

At home, my wife is still sick, so I've been run off my feet while holding down the fort. Getting our kids to different schools and back is particularly challenging without a car right now (and with regards to the car issue, I'm working on it but it's complicated). Travel boils down to taking a combination of buses, cycling (using the Biki public transit system), and walking, all adding up to 4-5 hours a day! I'd like to say that my bathroom scales have rewarded me for all the extra cardio, but alas, the Force is remarkably strong in the belly region.

8 x

Teango
Blue Belt

81. Blossoming mugunghwa (ja)

Postby Teango » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:34 am

Japanese #24 (1h20m)
  • Reviewed up to Ch. 6 in Genki I
Ok, that's my first wave of extended reviews through Chs. 1-6 done. Next up: Second wave...

I brought my family to the 19th annual Korean Festival on Saturday - a chance to dip into my grand treasury of 4 basic Korean phrases! My highlight was the taekwondo demonstration, after which I paid my respects to their Sa Bum Nim (Chief Instructor) on behalf of my sensei and karate club. And my wife favored the fan dance most, while the kids revelled in the inevitable sugar-fest and shenanigans of a fun day out.

5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

82. Chattobotto-san (ja)

Postby Teango » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:45 pm

Japanese #25 (7h)
  • Completed second wave of reviews for Chs. 1-6 in Genki I.
  • Revisited supplementary kana and kanji sections for Chs. 1-6.
  • Watched 3 videos by Onomappu.
  • Chatted with an AI for a couple of hours in mainly Japanese.
This marks the completion of my second stroll through Chs. 1-6, with just one more promenade to go. Each successive review is substantially faster than the next, and a lot of words just need a gentle nudge to reawaken them from their slumber. I wish I could say the same of katakana and kanji, but they need some serious ancient Book of the Dead resurrecting! Ye gods and little pharoahs, it's shocking how many of these I've forgotten in under a mere year of inactivity!!

I'm picking out some phrases while listening now, and I've also started chatting (texting) in Japanese with ChatGPT, which has been a motivating and positive experience overall. I initially hung out with GPT-3.5, which was an unmitigated disaster (I should have heeded emk's warning there). In stark contrast, however, GPT-4 was excellent. It managed to infer what I needed given my bottom of the barrel A1 level of Japanese and responded accordingly. It's still tough-going at such a basic level, but it's much easier when accompanied with kana-only transcriptions (as my kanji sucks at this point) and English translations. Most importantly, AIs don't seem to mind at all if I make a plethora of mistakes, deliberate for aeons, or take my leave for a few hours and return to the dialogue later. Chattobotto-san is a most patient and accommodating fellow!

5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

83. At the foothills (ja)

Postby Teango » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:12 am

Japanese #26 (1h20m)
  • Third wave through vocabulary lists in Chs. 1-6 (Genki I).
My Japanese 102 course starts next week, and although not yet up to the level where I left things last year, I'm hoping my projects over these past 3 weeks will have been enough review and preparation to hold my own in class. This time around, I'll be auditing, so I'll have more autonomy over what I do outside class. And best of all, I can happily bypass the traditional torture of extensive dull drills and exercises, along with all those dreaded tests and exams. やった (yay!)

Despite being a stressful week with limited opportunity to study, my health metrics seem to be on the up, and I've managed to reactivate a fair amount of Japanese. Optimal pacing is important. Now, with a gasshuku (2-day intensive martial arts training camp) coming up in October, I'd like to step up my training over the next 6 weeks too. I'll certainly need to be in better shape to assist in several seminars. Perhaps I can find a way to interweave martial arts practice with 3DPs and streamline everything better?

5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

84. Nice cuppa ~te (ja)

Postby Teango » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:28 pm

Japanese #27 (4h40m)
  • Prepared class introductions.
  • Started a new course: Beginning Japanese II.
Tuesday marked the beginning of a new Japanese class at university. It's a small group of students this time, just 5 of us, and an assisting Japanese exchange student from Yokohama. The teacher was really nice and the students seemed highly motivated and able. I prepared both a short and long class introduction in advance, but didn't need to use them, as the teacher already had some icebreakers planned in Japanese to help us get to know one another. We're kicking off proceedings with Ch. 6 of Genki I this week, focusing primarily on the ~て form.

6 x

Return to “Language logs”