3 Day Projects (3DP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n), de, ru
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11283

3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:32 am

source: pixabay.com (wagrati_photo)

Céad míle fáilte! (ga: a hundred thousand welcomes)

This post marks the beginning of a new approach: 3 Day Projects.

My personality being what it is, I quickly lose interest in trudging toward some lofty destination over the distant horizon. After a few days, I become restless and bored, increasingly tempted by shortcuts and vendors along the road. Inevitably, I end up finding new adventure elsewhere, hot on the trail of a few dozen pet procrastinations.

Another issue is that it's almost impossible to predict where I'll be, or what state of health I'll be in, several weeks, months, or years from now. Life is simply littered with bumps and potholes. And as many of my previous projects turned out to be long or overambitious, it only took one serious health setback, domestic crisis, or demanding deadline to break the chain of past successes and watch good intentions fall apart.

I believe the solution lies in how I choose and define projects. Long and overambitious projects make easy targets for life's bumps in the road, and the cost to each project in terms of momentum and motivation adds up. Essentially, the longer the project goes on, the more likely it will get derailed or overturned at several points. At least for me.

If I break language learning down into much shorter achievable wins, I think I'll make greater progress in the long-term; mini-projects that are just long and challenging enough to break free of the shadows of past ambitions, but short and easy enough to remain highly resilient and low risk over the test of time. With enough of these under my belt, I hope to leave the days of wishful horizons behind me.

Ke aloha,
T.
Last edited by Teango on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
20 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Guidelines and Projects

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

Guidelines
1. Start now and choose a language* for the next 3 days†.
2. Do something in it for at least 1 minute‡ a day.
3. Write up your progress at the end of the project and repeat the process.§

* These guidelines could potentially apply to any project and not just language learning. From August 2021, I intend to treat language learning more holistically and include occasional short updates on health and fitness and other areas of personal development.

Given how hectic weekends can be, I give myself a little more time and treat weekends as one long day. This also helps me fit 2 projects neatly into each week.

I win a shamrock at the end of each project for investing at least an hour a day on all 3 days (this is something else I added in 2021). I add this to my project write-up as a little icon Image, and at the end of each year, I count up all my shamrocks and donate a dollar for each to charity: 8 lucky shamrocks found in the clover so far in 2021...

§ The idea here is to chain projects together, record your language learning journey, and invest in some level of accountability. Don't worry if you get derailed or can only put in a few minutes, the important things is to keep the momentum going. Each project can be new, slightly different, or a continuation of what you did before, and each write-up can be online or offline and as short or long as you like.

Projects
American Sign Language (ase, 3h) 1
Filipino (fil, 15h) 1 2
French (fr, 14.5h) 1 2
Irish (ga, 8h) 1
Jamaican Patois (jam, 3h) 1
Japanese (ja, 3h) 1
New Zealand Sign Language (nzs, 5h) 1
Russian (ru, 85h,Image) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Spanish (es, 5h) 1
Toki Pona (tok, 15h) 1 2
Turkish (tr, 43h) 1-3
Other (multilingual; 5h) 1

A new medal is awarded for every 10 projects (e.g., Image for the first 10 projects).
Last edited by Teango on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 am, edited 217 times in total.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Milestones and Motivating Moments

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

Milestones
May, 2021
  • Russian: B2 level in speaking: +55h (starting with B1+ level in speaking)
  • NZSL: B1+ level in signing: +8h (B1 level back in March 2017, rusty)
  • French: B1+ level in speaking: +3.5h (starting with B1 level in speaking, B2 in reading)
  • Turkish: A2 level in speaking: +43h (starting with A0+ level in speaking)
Dec, 2019
  • Toki Pona: B1 level in reading: +15h (starting with A1 level in reading)
Motivating Moments
  • Filipino: 1 2
  • Hawaiian: 1
  • Romanian: 1
  • Russian: 1

Disclaimer: All CEFR levels posted in this language log are self-estimated and unofficial, unless otherwise indicated.
Last edited by Teango on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 56 times in total.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Useful Links and Resources

Postby Teango » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

ASL (Baby)
Baby Sign Language Dictionary (over 600 common signs with videos and explanations)
Flashcards Deluxe:
+ shared deck "Baby Sign Language" (author: FlashcardChic, 2018; source: "Baby Sign Language" by Sarah Christensen Fu, 2013)

Filipino
FilipinoPod101:
+ Filipino in Three Minutes (collection of nibble-sized lessons)
+ 50 Phrases Every Filipino Beginner Must-Know (18 minutes of basic phrases)
+ Learn Filipino in 30 Minutes - ALL the Basics You Need (almost 30 minutes of basic phrases)
Omniglot:
+ Useful phrases in Bikol
+ Useful phrases in Bisaya (with audio)
+ Useful phrases in Ilocano
+ Useful phrases in Ilonggo
+ Useful phrases in Tagalog (some with audio)
Nemo Language App:
+ Tagalog
Tagalog Lite (free online grammar course with audio, written by our very own @Leosmith!)

Irish
Buntús Cainte: First steps in spoken Irish (3 fun illustrated textbooks from 1967, 6 audio CDs, 195 lessons all in all!)

Japanese
Flashcards Deluxe:
+ shared deck "Hiragana and Katakana" (author: ジョナサン・ウィアー | Johnathan Weir, 2019)
Japanese-Lesson:
+ About Hiragana
+ About Katakana

Jamaican Patois (Patwa)
A Soh Dem Gwaan! (collection of funny stories in Patwa by Joelle Wright)
Jamaicasaurus: The Official Jamaican Thesaurus & English-to-Patois Dictionary (Patwa-English dictionary with 3,278 entries and over 13,500 translations and synonyms)

Russian
RussianGram (webpage and app that adds stress markers to Russian words)

Spanish
Perdidos en la Tribu (Chilean reality tv series, 2013)

Toki Pona
Wikipesija: Where is Toki Pona used? (extensive list of resources, links, and articles about Toki Pona)
jan lawa lili (Michael Fridman's translation of Antoine de Saint-Expuréry's "The Little Prince", heavily abridged)
Toki Pona Dictionary (online list: jan Pije; original source: "Toki Pona: The Language of Good" by Sonja Lang)
Toki Pona: The Language of Good (original textbook by the creator of the language, referred to simply in the community as "pu")
Toki Pona: The Simplest Language in the World, Grammar and Vocabulary Lessons (B. J. Knight [jan Pije] et al., online version last updated 2019)
jan lawa lili (sitelen pona script version) (transcribed by jan Same, translated by Michael Fridman - so cool!)
meli lili pi len loje (Little Red Riding Hood) (multiple script versions by jan Same: Latin, sitelen pona, sitelen sitelen)

General
Assimil (my premier choice for language textbooks)
Flashcards Deluxe (my go-to SRS)
Forvo (member-generated pronunciation guide for words and phrases in almost 400 languages)
iTalki (website for arranging online one-to-one sessions with professional tutors, as well as free language exchanges between members)
Nemo Language Apps (100 free useful phrases with audio in 34 languages)
Omniglot (online encyclopedia of over 1,200 languages, with over 50 free frequent phrases with audio in many languages)
Wiktionary (multilingual online dictionary with inflection tables)
17 Minute Languages (50 free important words and phrases with audio in 80 languages)
101 Languages (a good starting place to locate resources for a variety of languages)
Last edited by Teango on Mon May 31, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 44 times in total.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt

1. Perdidos en la Tribu (es).

Postby Teango » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Interpret 5 episodes of Perdidos en la Tribu into English for my wife: 5 hours.

Considering I only ever studied Spanish for a month back in 2010, I was delighted to be able to interpret the gist of this Chilean reality tv show for my wife. I felt like a UN interpreter sitting on our sofa, and as there were Spanish subtitles provided, I learnt several new words and phrases along the way (including some racy Chilean slang).
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt

2. Relearn kana (ja).

Postby Teango » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Relearn the 228 characters and modified forms used in Japanese to represent sounds (hiragana + katakana): 3 hours.

With little time to spare this week, I chose to fast-track proceedings by downloading a pre-made deck on Flashcards Deluxe, which I studied in rounds of 20 cards at a time during dead time. I've wanted to do this for absolutely ages but never got round to it, and thanks to this project, I'm now able to translate loads of words written in kana on shop windows and buses for my family who are visiting.
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt

3. Notes from St Petersburg: Part I (ru).

Postby Teango » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 am

Review 300 words and phrases taken down during my last trip to Russia (2016), including notes from iTalki lessons leading up to my visit: 5 hours.

Sifting through this eclectic bundle of scrap paper, words and phrases reignited happy memories. Vocabulary gleaned from my wife dealt primarily with shopping, while words from my father-in-law tended towards DIY, and my mother-in-law proved once again to be a boundless source of rare herbs, berries, and mushrooms (many of which I hadn't the faintest clue how to translate into English without a helping hand from Wikipedia).
Last edited by Teango on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (starting over), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (starting over)

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby Decidida » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 pm

I really like this idea!

Life really does have a way of trashing checklists, doesn't it. LOL.
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt

4. Notes from St Petersburg: Part II (ru).

Postby Teango » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:22 am

Go through the next 300 words and phrases noted down during my trip to Russia: 8 hours.

I’m a proud dad again (my wife gave birth to a handsome baby boy)!! And given that my feet have barely touched the ground, nor my head enjoyed the gentle caress of a pillow since, fitting in this project marks a monumental achievement.
Last edited by Teango on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N); FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated); ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet); JAPANESE (against my better judgment - barely A0); LANG BELTA? (Walowda ámolof fo kowl beltalowda); start FINNISH? (maybe ...).

Re: 3 Day Projects (3DP)

Postby lavengro » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:20 am

Congratulations!
2 x
“They lived and laughed and loved and left.”

Return to “Language logs”