Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (Japanese [+Undecided])

Postby księżycowy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Ok, a slower start than I had anticipated, but it's finally gotten under way!

Japanese:
10 mins. (much better than 0!)
So far I've reviewed the 文系、例文 and 練習A from Lesson 1. I also got my Anki deck all set to go. For the past few weeks (2~3) I've also been watching things in Japanese and doing other things where I have at least some exposure to the language.

Other Stuff:
I've been thinking that, as the Seneca beginner course is still largely under construction, I might like to focus on another North American Indigenous language. Ones that readily come to mind are: Cayuga, Tlingit, Aleut, Iñupiaq (yes, a dialect of Inuktitut ;) ) and Yup'ik. I'll take my time and see which one sticks, if any.

I've also decided that unless I end up with a compelling reason to expedite it, I'm going to put German on hold. I've noticed that I don't really have the time or energy for two+ major languages at the moment. Japanese will suffice.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 pm

One nitpick: Iñupiaq isn't a dialect of Inuktitut any more than Swedish is a dialect of Danish. Rather, Inuktitut and Iñupiaq are separate languages (or groups of dialects, if you will) that are part of the Inuit dialect continuum. Inuktitut refers only to the dialects spoken in eastern Canada.

I can see you already have a few books for Iñupiaq including a couple for the North Slope dialect. I believe there is a free Rosetta Stone course available for North Slope Iñupiaq.

http://www.north-slope.org/departments/ ... -inupiatun
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:59 am

Deinonysus wrote:One nitpick: Iñupiaq isn't a dialect of Inuktitut any more than Swedish is a dialect of Danish. Rather, Inuktitut and Iñupiaq are separate languages (or groups of dialects, if you will) that are part of the Inuit dialect continuum. Inuktitut refers only to the dialects spoken in eastern Canada.

I was using "Inuktitut" as a place holder for "Inuit", which I suppose was misleading. Regardless, we both agree that Iñupiaq and Inuktitut are related.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:27 pm

A day late, and a dollar short. But I'm still posting an update!

Japanese
It was hard to find the time or energy this past week to do much beyond my usual passive activities (such as listening to Japanese music, or watching anime, or whatever) and doing Anki. I also have a few things going on after work a few days, so I was busier than normal. I hope to fix some scheduling concerns, and move into a more productive week starting today.

Undecided
I have began to wonder if I should just try to keep up with either German or Polish (or even Irish for that matter!), and have also considered returning to a non-Modern language (notably Old English, Classical/Koine Greek, Latin or Biblical Hebrew). So, still very much undecided at the moment. :P Which is probably for the better, as I work towards getting my language learning up and running again with Japanese.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 pm

I actually meant to post an update on Monday, but things got away from me. So here we are. :P

Japanese
So far I have been trying to be consistent on my Anki reviews (I fear I have not been, but I'll pick up the pieces), and have worked my way through almost all of the B exercises of Lesson 1. Going forward I intend to say I have not completed a lesson until I have done so in all of the workbooks (excluding the kanji workbook, as that one it set up differently). I hope to complete Lesson 1 and move on to Lesson 2 by Sunday.

Undecided
I'm giving more and more serious thought to picking Old English as my "reading" language. This just leaves the issue of whether I would want to do another modern language in addition to the other(s) I'm working on. If I did, it would most likely be Polish or German. I still haven't made a definitive decision on any of this, however. And rightfully so, as I am still working on getting my language studies back to their former glory (or as close to that as I can muster currently) with Japanese.

More updates to come.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm

księżycowy wrote:Japanese
<snip>Going forward I intend to say I have not completed a lesson until I have done so in all of the workbooks (excluding the kanji workbook, as that one it set up differently).
So do you have all of the supplemental workbooks now? While I have Hyojun Mondaishu, both Kanji books, and the 5 CD set, I'm lacking Bunkei Renshucho as well as the 25 reading and 25 listening supplements.

So I've been very curious, how does Bunkei Renshucho differ from Hyojun Mondaishu?

księżycowy wrote:I'm giving more and more serious thought to picking Old English as my "reading" language.
I have to say, this new Old English resource thread popping up has tempted me. A good friend reads Old English (as well as Old French and Old Spanish) and I'm often jealous.
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am

tangleweeds wrote:So do you have all of the supplemental workbooks now? While I have Hyojun Mondaishu, both Kanji books, and the 5 CD set, I'm lacking Bunkei Renshucho as well as the 25 reading and 25 listening supplements.

So I've been very curious, how does Bunkei Renshucho differ from Hyojun Mondaishu?

Well, after looking over what I have at hand and comparing that to what it on the 3A website, it seems I have all of the workbooks, I even have the Yasashii Sakubun workbook.

It's a little hard for me to put a hand on the exact differences between the two workbooks you're asking about, but it seems that the Bunkei Renshuuchou is the heftier of the two. I'll take a deeper look and see if I can figure anything else out.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:04 pm

I apologize for the delay in updating this thread. And honestly, I'm not sure how much I will be updating it, as a few developments have taken place in the interim.

Firstly, I have have a few preliminary interviews with two Japanese companies that employs English teachers. I am eagerly awaiting whether of not I have passed on to the next interview stage. So, taking that into account, why would I not want to update this thread? Well, that brings me to my next piece of news.

A few friends and I have formed a Japanese study group (using groups.io). The main reason I'm not sure at this point how much updating I will do is because of this. It remains to be seen how active this group will be, and the general longevity of it, but I am hopefully that it will last at least a few months. I'm just not sure how much time and energy I will have to post in the group and here. Time shall tell.

I still hope to use this thread for something, anyway. :P
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's Log

Postby księżycowy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Ok, so the study group is still going (kinda :P ), but we're having trouble getting a common schedule together so it's basically self-paced at the moment. Therefore, I'm goin to go back to my own schedule and thus, use this thread to track my goals and progress. I may also post tidbits as I go.

So I started working on Polish, so it's definately on the list. So far I'm set in Japanese and Polish. I'm tossing around the idea of doing a third language as well (maybe German, or maybe a wildcard) but I haven't decided quite yet. The following is my plan for what I've nailed down so far. (Please note, dates follow the month/day/year format.)

Goals Through 12/06/2020

Japanese
  • Complete Lesson 2 of Minna no Nihongo
    • Main Textbook Exercises
    • Bunkei Renshucho Lesson 2
    • Hyoujun Mondaishuu Lessons 1 & 2
    • Shokyu de Yomeru Lesson 2
    • Shoukai Tasuku Lesson 2

Polish
  • Complete Lesson 1 of First-Year Polish
    • Packet 1 No. 6-8
    • Swan E.1, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13
    • Swan E.6, 7, 8
    • Packet 1 No. 11, 12
    • Swan E.14, 15, 16
    • Unit 1 Pretest
    • Unit 1 Test

I may try to do more (especially considering this is all review at this point), but let's start with this.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's Log

Postby księżycowy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Polish update!

księżycowy wrote:Polish
  • Complete Lesson 1 of First-Year Polish
    • Packet 1 No. 6-8
    • Swan E.1, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13
    • Swan E.6, 7, 8
    • Packet 1 No. 11, 12
    • Swan E.14, 15, 16
    • Unit 1 Pretest
    • Unit 1 Test

So, for this coming week (starting tomorrow) I'll roll over what I didn't get done, and will go on to the next lesson! I'll post my specific goals later (either later today, or tomorrow).
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”