Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) [de + pl + ga]

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:46 pm

dEhiN wrote:What's the difference in meaning or grammatical analysis in the two? I don't know any Irish, but I'm curious.

They basically just use different prepositions; no difference in actual meaning, outside of the one dialect area (where one refers to speech, the other to writing). as is a preposition that's often use to express origin or medium (it's the preposition used when saying where you're from, or that something is made out of something). It's often translated as English 'out of', though I've gotten into the habit to try to avoid translating prepositions outside of specific contexts as it just leads to me trying to map them semantically one-to-one.

i just roughly corresponds with English 'in'. My guess is teachers think i nGaeilge sounds too Englishy, and so avoid it, despite it being common among all native speakers (mostly because teachers never interact with actual native speakers and generally have an atrocious level of Irish, even the Gaelscoil teachers).

I hope that answered your question!
4 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:58 pm

Thanks for the correction, galaxyrocker! :)
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:03 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
księżycowy wrote:EDIT: I also got the used copy of Seanghaeilge gan Dua I ordered as well! Now I just need to learn some Irish so I can have fun learning Old Irish through Modern Irish! The book condition is pretty good too, just about how the seller described it, so I'm pleased with that as well!

Just don't let Stifter see you with it while walking around Maynooth! He's not a fan at all.

Given that I'm not at the level where I can actually use the book yet, I'm at least not in an imminent danger. Unless he is on call to make the next set of dorm inspections. :lol:
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:46 pm

I had to look it up.

From the Irish Language Forum topic "i nGaeilge" v. "... as Gaeilge?"
I think "as Gaeilge" is being taught in schools for 1 reason only: "as" doesn't trigger any mutation so it's simpler to beginners... But what's the point teaching something that no native speaker ever says?...

That says it all.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:22 pm

That was an interesting read. Especially the tangent at the end about the forms of Gaeilge. I was always curious where the difference came from. (Provided the information given was correct, they didn't seem 100% confident in their answer.)
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 pm

After a week or so's break (context here), it's time to get back at the 365 challenge! Giving up is not allowed this year!

Let's just jump into goals for this week, and take it from there:

Goals for 22/01/2023 - 28/01/2023
German:
  • Deutch, Warum Nicht (Series 1) - DW
    • Vocabulary Learning:
      • Learn Vocabulary from Lektionen 1-6
    • Listening - First Pass:
      • Lektionen 13-15
    • Listening - Second Pass:
      • Lektionen 3-5
    • Grammar and Exercises:
      • Lektionen 6-10

At the moment this is kind of all over the place. I realized that - at least at the moment - when I wasn't really learning the vocabulary or grammar beyond what was presented in the audio, I wasn't always getting everything. (There was progress for sure, don't get me wrong.) The course has wonderful pdfs for each Lektion that give the vocabulary, grammar and basic exercises. It seems a waste to not utilize these to their fullest. I was doing some of the exercises, but not doing much else. I plan to put the vocabulary from the Lektionen into Anki, and continue to learn the grammar points and complete the exercises as I go along. For the moment, at least, I think it will also be helpful to relisten to past Lektionen after learning the vocabulary and grammar better. I may slow my pace with the "first pass" listening and let the vocabulary and grammar catch up, so that I can listen to any given Lektion once and see if that is enough. I'm not opposed to listening to the series more than once, I just want to try to be somewhat systematic about it and figure out the most optimal way for me to capitalize on the Lektionen. (Can I also say this series is making my interest in classical music come back? :P )

What follows is wishful thinking and probably not much else:

Polish:
  • First-Year Polish - Swan
    • Lesson 1
      • Vocabulary
      • (Optional) Grammar
      • (Optional) Drills/Exercises

Irish:
  • Teach Yourself Irish (1960's) - Dillon & Ó Cróinín
    • Lesson 1
      • Vocabulary
      • (Optional) Grammar
      • (Optional) Exercises
    • Lesson 2
      • (Optional) Vocabulary
      • (Optional) Grammar
      • (Optional) Exercises

EDIT: Clarity.
Last edited by księżycowy on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:27 pm

I also wanted to update on this part of my initial impressions of the Peig Sayers books:
księżycowy wrote: I will also note that the QR codes do take you to the recordings as posted on Soundcloud by the publisher, but, at least as far as I could tell last time I checked on my mobile, there were not recordings for every transcript present. I'll check again, and it's that's still the case I'll enquire with the publisher.

I did end up getting in touch with the publisher, who informed me that unfortunately the BBC has changed their policies regarding the audio the transcripts are based upon, and thus the publisher can only upload what they have now basically. They did, however, inform me about a CD set that came with the first edition of Book 1. I was able to very easily track down a copy here at Maynooth University and have since ripped them and stored them safely away. So basically the audio for all of these transcripts exists, it's just the BBC being stingy apparently.

The published didn't really say much about the second volume, but I imagine it's a similar story there as well. Only the audio from transcripts 1-7 are posted at the link the QR code send you too, if I remember correctly.

Either way, I'm content with the audio I was able to come up with, and don't feel the need for all of the audio for the second book. (Not that I would complain if the rest of it found it's way to me somehow. :lol: )

So there's that.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:37 pm

Don't get me started on the BBC and their policy as regards access to their contents. I'm still trying to understand the underlying logic of their Radio nan Gàidheal podcast offer :roll:
2 x

Teacher2003
Languages: English (N)
French
German
Arabic
Urdu

Postby Teacher2003 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:23 am

Warum Nicht (DW)

Hello

Please can someone tell me where to find transcripts for the Warum Nicht lessons (Deutsche Welle)? Many thanks
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:54 pm

Teacher2003 wrote:Warum Nicht (DW)

Hello

Please can someone tell me where to find transcripts for the Warum Nicht lessons (Deutsche Welle)? Many thanks

Here are the official transcripts/lesson pdfs and audio for series 1-4:
https://dw.com/de/deutsch-warum-nicht/s-2163
(Click on the picture for which ever series you want the pdfs for.)

For some odd reason it isn't listed on the main site, nor the English "Learn German" page anymore*. But a little google-fu quickly solves the issue. I'm actually in the process of downloading all of the audio and pdfs for each series, in case they are taken down in the future.

*Not sure about the German "Learn German" page, but my impression is it probably isn't listed there either. I think they are making Nicos Weg their flagship for learning German at the moment. So older stuff, like Deutsch, Warum Nicht?, is being sidelined.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”