Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) [de + pl + ga]

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:50 am

Goals for 01/01/2023-07/01/2023
Living German by Buckley & Coggle
  • Lektion 1
    • Reading
    • Vocabulary
    • Grammar
    • Exercises
  • Lektion 2
    • Reading
    • Vocabulary

Nicos Weg
  • Lektion 1
    • Information
    • Exercises

Deutsch, Warum Nicht?
  • Lektion 1
  • Lektion 2
  • Lektion 3
  • Lektion 4

Might be a bit overambitious, but I don't mind if I don't get to everything. As per usual when starting off these weekly goals it's about taking a few swings and seeing where the ball lands.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:40 am

Well, I couldn't resist. I bought some language courses written in Irish Gaelic (Old Irish, Scots and Scottish Gaelic). And, for more study material (w/audio!) I bought two books by Peig Sayers (which apparently include not only transcripts of the recordings, but also analysis of them; I'm excited to see that in particular) and a collection of stories by Bab Feirtéar. I was also tempted by Peig's biography, and the classic An tOileánach, but decided to leave those for another day.

I also tried looking for Mo Scéal Fein, but could only find one used copy with notes in it. I want to take my own notes, thank you! (If any other Irish learners/speakers see a clean copy, please let me know. :) I know it's in pdf format on the Cork Irish website, but I'd love a print copy as well. EDIT: I just check AbeBooks again and found a copy I'm willing to risk it on, for the price.)

Anyway, I just might end up switching out Japanese for Irish. But I'll give it some more time and consideration. At least until the 16th I'll be busy enough with writing papers and preparing for a presentation that I won't have a ton of time to add a third language to my routine. I haven't even done any Japanese yet, just Greek and German.

EDIT2: There's also the matter of the Polish textbook which, after talking to the delivery service, is suppose to be delivered today. We shall see if that actually happens or not. If it does, I look forward to seeing what the text is like!
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:50 pm

księżycowy wrote:EDIT2: There's also the matter of the Polish textbook which, after talking to the delivery service, is suppose to be delivered today. We shall see if that actually happens or not. If it does, I look forward to seeing what the text is like!

Predictably, it didn't come today. I'll give it a day or two and reach out again. I do understand that they are still dealing with the ramifications of the holiday rush, no doubt.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:23 pm

księżycowy wrote:
księżycowy wrote:EDIT2: There's also the matter of the Polish textbook which, after talking to the delivery service, is suppose to be delivered today. We shall see if that actually happens or not. If it does, I look forward to seeing what the text is like!

Predictably, it didn't come today. I'll give it a day or two and reach out again. I do understand that they are still dealing with the ramifications of the holiday rush, no doubt.

Yay! It came today!

I have to say, it's not quite as bad as I had feared. I like it. It's a bit of a middle ground between First-Year Polish and Polish in 4 Weeks. It's not as well constructed as F-YP, but it's got better exercises then Pi4W. I think I'll take a pass through it as my first textbook for Polish. I am a little skeptical that it'll actually take me to C1, but as long as it get's me somewhere it's great in my eyes! As most of us around here know, you don't reach C1 simply from one (or even a bunch of) textbook(s) alone.

I also love that you get free complimentary access to the material through the online course, for the ability to go through the exercises as many times as it takes. Now to just figure out how to get the mp3s and pdfs.

The back of the A1-A2 book is tempting me with it's slogan: "effective method + 20 minutes a day = Polish at your fingertips." If only it were that easy. (I am seriously tempted to see if I could spare 20 minutes a day though.) Anyway, this isn't a sales pitch, I swear! I don't earn commission on this! :lol:
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:15 pm

księżycowy wrote:Goals for 01/01/2023-07/01/2023
Living German by Buckley & Coggle
  • Lektion 1
    • Reading
    • Vocabulary
    • Grammar
    • Exercises
  • Lektion 2
    • Reading
    • Vocabulary

Nicos Weg
  • Lektion 1
    • Information
    • Exercises

Deutsch, Warum Nicht?
  • Lektion 1
  • Lektion 2
  • Lektion 3
  • Lektion 4
  • EXTRA: Lektion 5 ✔✔
  • EXTRA: Lektion 6 ✔✔

I have to admit, I've done fairly well sticking to Deutsch, Warum Night?, and I'm contemplating making that my main resource for the time being. (I've spoken before on how I suck at juggling multiple resources at once.) I'll think on it between now and when I post next week's goals tomorrow. I have to admit it is likely, but I'm still not sure. If I go that route, I'll start adding the backlog of vocabulary and phrases from the lessons I've done so far into Anki. I've done the exercises for Lektionen 1-5 so far.

I just started going through Living German today, and read most of the reading from Lesson 1.

For now, I'm dropping Nicos Weg. I might revisit it in the future. Shrug.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:50 pm

Whelp, it's Sunday night (for me anyway), and I have yet to make my goals for this week. This week is going to be a LOT of writing for a paper and a presentation at my university. I'm not letting this week slide on the 365 challenge (unless it becomes to stressful, but we're not there yet), but at the same time, I'm not making goals for this particular week. We'll pick this up again by Monday of next week at the latest. And this is across all of the logs, not just for this one.

I'll probably not update any logs until this coming Saturday or Sunday.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:17 pm

I've just got back to campus from surgery (just an out patient procedure, not surgery in the American sense at least), and it's after 7pm here. As it's late and I'm tired and groggy from the anaethetic still, I'm taking a pass on study today. I couldn't do it earlier either, as I had to leave pretty early to get to hospital. (How's my Hiberno-English getting on? :P )
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Whelp, I didn't get great sleep last night, what with the pain and trauma from the procedure (I am hamming it up slightly), but I feel I have enough mental acuity to talk at least in brief about two acquisitions I got yesterday when I got back on campus.

I was delighted to find the two volumes of Peig Sayer's sayings and stories and the volume of Bab Feirtéar's stories in my mail slot! I figure I'll give my first impressions for any other interested peoples out there.

-I'll start with Ó Bhéal an Bhab, collected by Almqvist and Ó Cathasaigh from Bab Feirtéar:

The book has a collection of 19 stories ranging in length from a few half a page (story 4) to nine pages long (story 6). All of the stories have accompanying audio on two audio cds. In addition, the (auto?)biographical introduction has a recording as well. There are also three aguisíní (appendixes) that accompany stories 13, 14 and 18), which seem to add to the story. Unfortunately at this stage in my Irish learning journey I can't exactly say for sure what the purpose of the aguisíní are.

There are no accompanying English translations for any of the stories, so I would probably recommend this for an intermediate learner (B1-2), or a courageous upper beginner (A2). There are notes, but they seem to mostly to be of a literary nature, rather than of a linguistic/language learning nature. Often citing other folkloric sources and the like. All of the book is as Gaeilge, with no Bearla to be found (so if you can't understand what I just wrote, this book definitely isn't for you :P ). Personally, I can very much envision using this book once I've completed the TY course and started getting comfortable with some other reading material (such as the other two books I'm about to discuss below). I definitely love that there are recordings accompanying the stories!

-Next is the two volume collection of stories and sayings by Peig Sayers, collected (and translated!) by Almqvist and Ó Héalaí:
The full title of the first volume is Peig Sayers 1: Labharfad le Cách / I will speak to You All and the second volume is Peig Sayers 2: Níl Deireadh Ráite / Not the Final Word. Just to avoid any confusion.

These two volumes are very similar in scope and format as the Bab Feirtér collection above. Volume 1 has 29 transcripts of recordings made by various recording studios (mostly the BBC and Radio Éireann/RTÉ), and volume two contains 21 more transcripts. What is particularly interesting is that this is not just confinded to stories. Some of the transcripts/recordings relay biographical information, legends, prayers, information about the sources of her stories, sometimes they are exchanges between the recorder and Peig (in the sense that Peig is asked about something and they discuss it). The transcripts vary in length from a few lines (not even half a page) to a few pages. Most are only about 2-3 pages long, but a few are around 5 pages long. And in at least one transcript/recording Peig speaks in English! It's one of the shorter ones.

What I think is most valuable about this collection is the addition of English translations of all of the recordings/transcripts. the commentary are similar to the commentary in the Bab Feirtéar collection; mostly on literary topics, such as folkloric sources and themes. I could see this collection as one of the first pieces of literature/reading/listening I use out side of TY. It's very handy to have the English translations to compare and help with understanding the Irish. I am disappointed that the analysis is of a literary nature, but I don't fault that. Almqvist was in that particular field, so it's no surprise. I was hoping for something more linguistic/language learning styled, but the English translations do go a long way. I will also note that the QR codes do take you to the recordings as posted on Soundcloud by the publisher, but, at least as far as I could tell last time I checked on my mobile, there were not recordings for every transcript present. I'll check again, and it's that's still the case I'll enquire with the publisher.

[Having said all of that, I think I would like to take the ill-advised step of getting back, formally, into studying Irish (and maybe Japanese soonish, but that's not what this log is for). Even if I steal a page from dEhiN's book and primarily just use Anki (or Memrise, as I do still recall the "course" I was starting to make over there) as my primary learning tool. I think I'll begin splitting the audio apart from the TY course in the near future (be that today, tomorrow, next week, next month, even ever I get the chance). I'll also continue with reconstructing my Anki deck to at least lesson 16. I'll probably add the sentences and audio to Anki (and maybe Memrise, if it's not too much work to do both, which it probably is :P ).]

EDIT: I also got the used copy of Seanghaeilge gan Dua I ordered as well! Now I just need to learn some Irish so I can have fun learning Old Irish through Modern Irish! The book condition is pretty good too, just about how the seller described it, so I'm pleased with that as well!
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:34 pm

księżycowy wrote:as Gaeilge

This is one of my huge pet peeves, but it should be i nGaeilge. As Gaeilge, despite being super commonly taught, is a learners' mistake. It's only used in parts of Munster, and then only for spoken Irish, whereas the other is used for written works (and in all other dialects even for spoken Irish). So Labhraím as Gaoluinn, ach léighim leabhair i nGaoluinn

Just one of my big pet peeves that is, unfortunately, taught so wrongly most people don't have a clue what's right. Another reason of why Irish teachers are worse than useless, they're actively harmful to the traditional language (I have plenty of reasons).

księżycowy wrote:EDIT: I also got the used copy of Seanghaeilge gan Dua I ordered as well! Now I just need to learn some Irish so I can have fun learning Old Irish through Modern Irish! The book condition is pretty good too, just about how the seller described it, so I'm pleased with that as well!

Just don't let Stifter see you with it while walking around Maynooth! He's not a fan at all.
4 x

dEhiN
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); French (B2); Spanish / Brazilian Portuguese (A1-A2); Tamil (A1); Albanian / Tagalog / Maori (A0 - some words)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21&t=17669

Postby dEhiN » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:37 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
księżycowy wrote:as Gaeilge

This is one of my huge pet peeves, but it should be i nGaeilge. As Gaeilge, despite being super commonly taught, is a learners' mistake. It's only used in parts of Munster, and then only for spoken Irish, whereas the other is used for written works (and in all other dialects even for spoken Irish). So Labhraím as Gaoluinn, ach léighim leabhair i nGaoluinn

Just one of my big pet peeves that is, unfortunately, taught so wrongly most people don't have a clue what's right. Another reason of why Irish teachers are worse than useless, they're actively harmful to the traditional language (I have plenty of reasons).

What's the difference in meaning or grammatical analysis in the two? I don't know any Irish, but I'm curious.
0 x
Anki
fr : 658 / 1473
es : 199 / 799
ta : 59 / 649
pt : 118 / 556
mi : 10 / 22
tl : 5 / 37
sq : 12 / 73

Study resources
¡Adelante! Uno : 11 / 218

ISO 639-1 Language Codes