Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (German, Polish, Munster Irish)

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Gaelainn
28 mins.
I listened to the audio from Exercise 20, and shadowed the audio for each sentence. I also mentally translated the sentences as I went along. Then I reread the grammar explanations given in the lesson. Then I listened to the audio a final time.

Deutsch
33 mins.
I finished the C exercises, and then listened to Lesson 7 of Deutsch, Warum Night? I finally got to the possessive pronouns, and reviewed numbers. Looks like tomorrow will be the start of Kapitel 2!

Polski
30 mins.
I worked on the two dialogues again, listening and shadowing them. Then I did the grammar exercises on the workbook audio (specifically the ones taken from Swan's textbook, not the extra exercises). Then I wrote out three of the exercises from Swan (exercises 1, 2 & 5).
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm

I didn't get good sleep last night, so I just did some Anki, Memrise and Clozemaster. As I'm hoping to post everyday (as much as possible), I'm going to start posting about my "free days" one my "free days". :P
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Deutsch
37 mins.
I started Kapitel 2 today, and did exercises A1-A3 (and A10), and then I also read and spoke A8 (the second dialogue in this lesson). I also listened to lesson 8 of DWN?

Polski
30 mins.
I did the two dialogues (listening and shadowing), then did the grammar exercises on the audio. This was Exercises 3, 5, 6, 9 and 10 from Swan and then the first 4 or 5 of the extra exercises not from Swan. A few of the extra exercises were a bit tricky, but over all it went pretty well.

Gaelainn
33 mins.
I started off by shadowing the audio to Exercise 20, then I started working on good ol' Exercise 21. I did sentences 1- 10, and didn't do too bad.

A few points of interest:
1) It was hard to anticipate when they wanted an answer like Is leabhar é and Leabhar is ea é, and so forth.
2) I initially goofed and did a sentence with is, instead of . The sentence in question is: Tá mo chuid-sa sa phortach fós. My current thinking is that because sa phortach is in play, it has to be . It isn't about identity or definition, it's about location.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 am

For point (2), you're 100% correct. Generally, when there's a preposition involved, is used. And that's true for most prepositions, as well. "He is at school" -- tá sé ar scoil

As for point (1), I just asked some people who are learning/have learned Cork dialects (one Muskerry, the other Cape Clear Island) and they both said just to default to the leabhar is ea é structure, as it's by far the most common in Munster, though be sure to recognize the other for outside the area.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:For point (2), you're 100% correct. Generally, when there's a preposition involved, is used. And that's true for most prepositions, as well. "He is at school" -- tá sé ar scoil

As for point (1), I just asked some people who are learning/have learned Cork dialects (one Muskerry, the other Cape Clear Island) and they both said just to default to the leabhar is ea é structure, as it's by far the most common in Munster, though be sure to recognize the other for outside the area.

Go raibh maith agat!
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 pm

Deutsch
44 mins.
Today I mostly worked on the exercises from Begegnungen. I didn't listen to the next lesson of DWN. So far it's pretty smooth sailing. The only think I got stuck on are the sentences I'm suppose to make for A13.

Now, if I understand the exercise well enough, I'm suppose to use the adjectives I've just learned in A12 with the nouns in A13. The only problem is, it seems that they decline so as to match the gender and number of the noun. The textbook hasn't exactly gone over this yet, and I don't remember it that well from the last time I was studying German. (Here are the exercises in question)

Gaelainn
19 mins.
I swear, this lesson is going to make me crazy! I started looking back at the grammar that's given in the lesson, and I wasn't doing half bad as far as doing the next few sentences in Exercise 21 (I mean, even if I got them wrong, I quickly realized why when going over the answers), but then there was sentence 14:
Is iad na Gearmánaigh iad so. - Why is it not Seo iad na Gearmánaigh as far as Munster grammar is concerned?

Edit: I've asked a friend on another forum, and he said it was possibly to set a contrast to the previous two sentences.

Polski
25 mins.
I worked on some of the exercises from Swan. Most of them I did orally, but I also wrote out the last translation exercise. I'm not done with it, I've done most of it.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 am

księżycowy wrote:Today I mostly worked on the exercises from Begegnungen. I didn't listen to the next lesson of DWN. So far it's pretty smooth sailing. The only think I got stuck on are the sentences I'm suppose to make for A13.

Now, if I understand the exercise well enough, I'm suppose to use the adjectives I've just learned in A12 with the nouns in A13. The only problem is, it seems that they decline so as to match the gender and number of the noun. The textbook hasn't exactly gone over this yet, and I don't remember it that well from the last time I was studying German. (Here are the exercises in question)

The information you need is in the table at the bottom of the previous page, plus it gives you the reference to the related page in the grammar section of the same chapter.
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 am

I must have missed that. Thanks!

EDIT: Ah, I see what happened! As I had completed up to Kapitel 6 in the textbook already, I've been printing off the pages from a pdf I have of the textbook. I've been printing off a few pages here and there, and as it turns out the chart was in the last grouping. :P
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:51 pm

No, I dropped down to the second page! :P

Deutsch
31 mins.
I worked on the exercise I was having trouble with yesterday (thanks to gsbod reminding me where the chart was), and then I worked on a listening comprehension exercise, then one on hobbies. Since I did something with audio for German today, I didn't do a lesson of DWN.

Polski
28 mins.
I did the listening comprehension and dictation exercises, and them I took the unit test. I got a little tripped up with the negative polarity items. Mostly which ones they wanted me to use.

But on that note, I'm curious, when you have more than one in a sentence, is there a particular order they have to go in?
For example,
Nigdy nic nie robi.
Can that just as easily say: Nic nigdy nie robi, or no?

Gaelainn
Just anki today.
Last edited by księżycowy on Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:40 am

księżycowy wrote:But on that note, I'm curious, when you have more than one in a sentence, is there a particular order they have to go in?
For example,
Nigdy nic nie robi.
Can that just as easily say: Nic nigdy nie robi, or no?

Well, I think, yes. You just move the stress. The first sentence stresses that he NEVER does anything. Secon one that he never does ANYTHING. Personally I would prefer the first one but the second doesn't sound unnatural to me. I don't know how it is with strict grammar rules, however ;)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Language logs”