Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (German, Polish, Munster Irish)

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Deutsch
38 mins. (gestern)
39 mins. (heute)
I have completed all of the exercises in Kaptiel 3, and feel pretty ready to move on to the next Kapitel. But before I do so, I need to fix/add some stuff to my Anki deck, and I might as well get in a few DWN lessons in as well. I'll plan to start Kapitel 4 on Sunday/Monday.

Polski
15 mins. (wczoraj)
45 mins. (dziś)
I worked on refreshing myself on the grammar notes from Lesson 4, and then did the Self Assessment test at the end of Unit 3 in the workbook. Overall, I was very pleased with my results. The main stumbling blocks where forgetting that pesky <i> between a <k> or <g> and the instrumental case ending a time of two, and then forgetting that Katowice is plural. Other than that I did very good! (Especially considering that they added in pronouns in the instrumental case, that Swan hasn't introduced yet!)

Gaelainn
Nothing but Anki, I'm afraid.

Also, I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days, but I've been wondering if I should consolidate my studies down to one language. This was brought about by my personal thinking towards my future work load once my job picks back up, talking with a friend, and this thread. I'm definitely not a youtube polyglot, or a savant. :P If I do go this direction (which I'm thinking is likely), I'll be focusing on German, and pick up Polish after I get to a B1-B2 range in my German. Rinse and repeat. This means, I'm thinking, that I will increase my study time to an hour to an hour and a half a day (I'm hoping, anyway). This will also give me the leg room to work through Pimsleur and any other resources (such as readers) I would like to try to use for my languages.

Language learning is like most things, a path of discovery.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 pm

księżycowy wrote: then forgetting that Katowice is plural

I would say that it behaves like a plural since there is no singular of that word. But this doesn't change anything. Nevertheless, remember that since it is not the only city that follows that pattern. There are also Skierniewice, Wadowice [John Paul II was born there], Marcinkowice [this is a village but there was a well-known skirmish between Russian and Piłsudski's legionaries in 1914] and probably many others that behave the same way as Katowice
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:57 pm

As always, cjareck, dzięki!

I hope to return to Polish in a few months!
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:54 pm

Wow, I wasn't as far back as I had thought!~Only page 3. :lol:

Deutsch
34 mins.
Anyway, I'm easing myself back into German after another break. Hopefully this will be the last break I take for a while, and I stick to German like glue.

So far I've continued to work on Begegnungen A1+. I've just started Kapitel 4. I also started listening to DWN again.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (German)

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Just a quite little update:
I'm still working on German. I really haven't been keeping track of the time I've been spending on German the past few days or so, but the important this is I'm still sticking to it. I hope to have a proper update in a few days.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (German)

Postby Raconteur » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:01 am

księżycowy wrote:I hope to have a proper update in a few days.
Time for that update księżycowy → がんばって ください ! Let's keep each other accountable, as fellow UniLang members should. ;)
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (Japanese [German])

Postby księżycowy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:10 pm

That update has taken faaaaaaaaar to long, hasn't it?

Well, I would have loved to get back to my three languages (I must confess that I find doing only one too boring, but maybe that because I'm just not very good at focusing on one thing. Why do things effectively when you can do them the hard way? :P ) But as I am very motivated at the moment to continue to pursue a life in Japan, and actually get teaching people, I have decided to switch things up again. (I hate to attach my ship to this motivation wave, as it can easily sink me, but I want to set some routines while I'm motivated so I can power through when that motivation wanes.)

I do not want to lose my progress with German, but at the same time too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup. So, Japanese is going to be my major focus. I will still work on German, but quite frankly, I'm not sure how that's going to look. I might switch to Assimil, so I can pick it up passively for a bit or I might stick with Begegnungen. Time shall tell. In the meantime I want to get working on reviewing MnN and also working on learning to read/write the kana (I can read hiragana very well, but my skills at writing it could use some improvement; katakana, on the other had, needs some work in both reading and writing).

Game Plan:
- Review Lesson 1 - 3 in Minna no Nihongo
- Work on Lesson 1 in Let's Learn Hiragana and Let's Learn Katakana
- Settle on what to do for German: Begegnungen vs. Assimil Battle Royale

I'll try my hardest to post another update either later today, or by tomorrow.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (Japanese [German, Onödowá'ga:])

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:28 pm

I was hoping to post daily, like I used to, but as I am back to work it might be hard to do. I'm going to probably primarily post updates on the weekends.

In the meantime, I signed up for the "Lower Novice" course over at https://senecalanguage.com/community-cl ... available/ for the Seneca language. The Iroquoian languages have long been on my hit list (because of my fascination with Native Americans in general, and because I live in the state that most of the Northern Iroquois tribes traditionally called home). I used to take the Skype class with their instructor a few years ago, but had to quit after a few months because of various other things going on at the time. It seems like the "Lower Novice" course is pretty self directed, so I will poke around with this language again. I'll readily admit that this is a wanderlusty language, but I do intend to get something out of this. :P

I'll admit that Deinonysus' Inuktitut log got me interested in N.A.I.L. again. (Yeah, I'm also interested in Eskimo-Aleut languages too. Especially Aleut, for some weird reason.)
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (Japanese [German, Onödowá'ga:])

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:20 pm

księżycowy wrote:I was hoping to post daily, like I used to, but as I am back to work it might be hard to do. I'm going to probably primarily post updates on the weekends.

In the meantime, I signed up for the "Lower Novice" course over at https://senecalanguage.com/community-cl ... available/ for the Seneca language. The Iroquoian languages have long been on my hit list (because of my fascination with Native Americans in general, and because I live in the state that most of the Northern Iroquois tribes traditionally called home). I used to take the Skype class with their instructor a few years ago, but had to quit after a few months because of various other things going on at the time. It seems like the "Lower Novice" course is pretty self directed, so I will poke around with this language again. I'll readily admit that this is a wanderlusty language, but I do intend to get something out of this. :P

I'll admit that Deinonysus' Inuktitut log got me interested in N.A.I.L. again. (Yeah, I'm also interested in Eskimo-Aleut languages too. Especially Aleut, for some weird reason.)

Awesome, good luck with that! I took a look at the language in your log title and thought it was Mohawk at first because of the accent mark and the colon. I guess that's an Iroquoian thing in general.

I just created a new study group for indigenous languages of the Americas, feel free to stop by!
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: księżycowy's 2020 Log (Japanese [German, Onödowáʼga:])

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:18 pm

Awesome!

I sure will stop by that other thread!
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”