Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: księżycowy's Log

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12 pm

Goals Through 01/17/2021
  • Minna no Nihongo - Lesson 4
    • Main Textbook Drills
    • Main Textbook Exercises
    • Bunkei Renshucho
    • Hyoujun Mondaishuu
    • Shokyu de Yomeru
    • Choukai Tasuku
  • Kodansha's Hiragana Workbook
    • Lesson 3
  • Kodansha's Katatana Workbook
    • Lesson 3
  • 桜 by Ask Publishing
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:12 pm

księżycowy wrote:Goals Through 01/17/2021
  • Minna no Nihongo - Section A
    • Main Textbook Drills
    • Bunkei Renshucho
    • Hyoujun Mondaishuu
    • Shokyu de Yomeru
    • Choukai Tasuku
    • Lesson 3
    • Lesson 3
  • 桜 by Ask Publishing

As can be seen, I didn't quite get done with the lesson, as I had intended to. I am still very happy with my progress, especially given that I didn't really feel like studying two or three days this week. Thanks to the contest, I was able to talk myself into it. :) I also forgot about Section A in the main textbook, which is basically a review of lessons 1-3.

My plan for this week is to focus primarily on powering through the katakana and hiragana workbooks. I feel like this will open up more time going forward for the MnN materials. I will also finish up the remaining items from Lesson 4 of MnN.

As far as Bungo is concerned, I have looked through O'Neill's text a bit, and feel that it will not be too far over my head. Challenging, sure. Impossible, no. So I'll start adding that back into the weekly goals. As the text doesn't exactly have any lessons, as such, but rather sections with a variable number of "frames", I'll probably just use section titles and page numbers to track my progress. I've also ordered Dictionary of Selected Forms in Classical Japanese Literature by Morris to help (which, if anyone if interested, is surprisingly still in print here! If anyone buys the pdf, I might insist you contact me :P ), in case any vocabulary is assumed in O'Neill. I also obviously have my other CJ resources, if grammar trips me up. Given how O'Neill goes about teaching CJ, I don't think that'll be an issue at all.

Wanderlust has been a minor inconvenience lately, and have made me explore some Ottoman Turkish (thanks in large part to discussions of Manchu, of all things :lol: ), and also Ladino/Judeo-Spanish. Quite honestly, I would have never thought I would become interested in Spanish (or really most of the Romance languages for that matter), but here we are. Does anyone know of any dictionaries for Judeo-Spanish?
I don't think I'm going to do much with either of these at the moment. Or at least I'm going to try to resist. But hopefully eventually! ;)

ETA: Oh, and before I forget, I might look at posting to my other 365 thread less. I've started keeping a spreadsheet in which I enter all of my data. Personally I do like the sense of accountability that posting every day give me, but this is self imposed, and I understand not everyone wants to see just numbers posted daily. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Last edited by księżycowy on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Goals Through 01/24/2021
    • Main Textbook Drills
    • Shokyu de Yomeru
    • Choukai Tasuku
    • Lessons 4-8
    • Lessons 4-8
  • Programmed Intro to Literary Japanese - O'Neill
    • Section I - General pgs. 1-5
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) - German, Polish, Irish (+ more?)

Postby księżycowy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:30 am

Let's get this log started again. I haven't really been doing anything with my heritage languages (German, Polish, Irish) lately, so I think it's time to rectify that.

German:
I have been at odds with several textbooks, as I love the apparently "old school" lesson plan that includes, I don't know, a vocabulary list for the lesson! I don't want to have to look shit up in a glossary or dictionary! Ugh. For some odd reason most contemporary textbooks from Germany seem to think students like fetching vocabulary for themselves. But in lieu of a cheap alternative, I'll suffer through it.

I'll use Hueber. I was thinking of using Living German by Buckley & Coggle, but the lack of audio for some lessons annoys me even more than having to hunt down vocabulary. :lol: I think I might add German to my 365, as I'd like to motivate myself to stick with it.

Polish:
I'm still deciding if I want to formally add Polish in yet. I am very tempted, but I want to see how adding in some German will go first.

I'll stick with First-Year Polish by Swan. Why fix what ain't broke?

Irish:
This one will probably be on hold for a bit, but that's ok. I don't want to overwhelm myself with too much at once. Even if I have studied Polish and Irish in the past.

As with Polish, I'll stick with what I was using: Teach Yourself Irish by Dillon & Ó Cróinín.

I will note that all of this is on condition that I keep Hebrew and Greek (and to a much lesser degree, Tibetan) going and the primary focus. Worse thing that happens, these three wait for a bit more.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) - German, Polish, Irish (+ more?)

Postby księżycowy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:03 pm

I've actually decided to put this log (and languages) on hiatus for now. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) - German, Polish, Irish

Postby księżycowy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:57 pm

Well, after some thought and reflection, if I'm going to Europe, I feel it's time to finally get my heritage languages somewhere. Having put Tibetan on hold for a while should free up the time and energy I need to start getting these moving again.

At the moment I've been trying to get Irish going again. I've been reviewing the first two lessons from Teach Yourself Irish (1960's) and plan to continue until I'm finished with the textbook. Afterword I'll see if I want to break out into the Connacht dialect or wait a bit. (Of course, I could always change my mind and do Connacht first, but we'll see.)

I've also been toying around with the idea of picking up Polish and/or German again as well, but I think I'm going to try my best to wait.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) [de + pl + ga]

Postby księżycowy » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:58 am

Eh, I will revive my older logs, so that focus can be kept in any individual log (hopefully!).

So I'll go back to chronicling my (mis)adventures with German, Polish and Irish here. for recent progress and context here's a link to my other log that can help explain for what I'm doing now.

I'll also post my German goals here as well.
DaF Kompakt Neu A1-B1:
  • Learn Vocabulary for Lektion 1
  • Vocabulary for Lektion 2
  • Finish few übungen left in Lektion 1
  • Complete(?) Lektion 2

On the Irish front I have been inspired by dEhiN to start reviewing vocabulary (even if slowly, little by little), and have began to create a memrise "course" for the 1960's edition of Teach Yourself Irish. I have the vocabulary for lesson 1 completed aside from the audio I would like to add. I know that there are a few other "courses" someone else created for the same book, but it looks like they stopped after lesson 6. I'm not sure at this point if I will add the sentences from the exercises or not. I'm not adding all of the grammar. I might add some of the verb charts, but that's probably about it. My main focus for the "course" is vocabulary. Any interested persons are welcome to use it or help in someway. I'm sure there will be mistakes I make along the way.
Link: https://app.memrise.com/course/6326736/ ... rish-1960/

My Polish book (Polski bez Problemu) still has not left Poland, but it has been moving along. I hope to have it either next week or the week after.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:00 am

German
I have gotten through the audio only exercises in the Kursbuch as of yesterday. For the most part it was easy going, as I excepted.

The biggest things I had trouble with are processing numbers fast enough to keep up (which was a recent topic of discussion), and some of the vocabulary related to addresses and phone numbers (Festnetznummer, Vorwahl, Postleitzahl, etc.) which probably reflects that fact that I'm not as used to this vocabulary and it needs some time to sink in.

I'll probably run through the audio exercises a few more times this weekend. Maybe even transcribe them a time or two. My main focus at the moment is aural comprehension though. I'll also work on the audio exercises in the Übungsbuch as well.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:12 pm

I got a bit side tracked today, as my parents came for a lot longer than I thought they would today, but I still managed to start looking into a German audio course to use along side DaF Kompakt Neu. I'm debating between a few: Nicos Weg, Deutsch Akademie's audio course, or maybe Pimsleur, MT or LT.

I have liked Pimsleur in the past, but something a bit neuer and frescher would maybe be a nice change. I don't necessarily mind the ideology of MT or LT, but I know MT isn't a native speaker, and I worry that LT doesn't use one either. Maybe that doesn't matter, but it is something that makes me take pause.

I did start going through the online course for Nicos Weg and found it interesting. I might just stick with it for now. Maybe add in some Deutsch Akademie too, as I went through the first one or two Lektion(en) and liked it as well.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Let's not so much recap German or Irish in 2022 (as there's not much to tell), but rather make plans for 2023!

German
I will readily admit that I have been having trouble committing to a textbook for this one. I do prefer the monolingual German-produced route (such as Begegnungen, DaF Kompakt, and Spektrum), but as I am in the middle of the academic year and need the main focus to rest on my modules and the work for them I think that would be too much of a burden at the present moment (I haven't been asked to review my German at this point, I just wanted to get a head start, in case I am able to continue on to the full degree; plus I want to learn it regardless). Therefore, I will use Living German: A Grammar-Based Course by Buckley, revised by Coggle (7 revised edition), and that's my final offer! No taksies backsies!

My goal is to get to the end of the text's 43 Lektionen by the end of 2023. If I could finish it by Summer, that would be awesome, but I'm not going to make that a specific goal or any other type of burden. Just a hopeful idea that if I do it it's awesome, but if I don't it won't be any cause for concern. The up coming courses and Greek and Hebrew will set the pacing and level of study I do with German.

I expect the first few Lektion to go faster than the remaining, as this is not my first time learning German. I'm just not sure where the cut off point will be, as I've had a lot of starts and stops over the years.
I'll also work through Nicos Weg and Deutch, Warum Nicht? (both by Deutsche Welle) for extra practice (especially on the aural/oral front). I chose Deutsch, Warum Nicht over Deutsch Akademie's audio course because the latter seems too short per lesson. Even though the fairy's voice in Warum Nicht annoys me, but I can live with it.

Additionally, I'll go through Modern German Pronunciation (2e) by Hall. I'm hoping I can complete this particular course in a matter of a month or two.

This is a 365 challenge language for sure!

Polish
I do not have firm plans with this language quite yet, as I am still waiting to receive a resource (Polski bez Problemu!) and to see which way I want to go. In my mind at the current moment, I have two options: First-Year Polish by Swan or Polski Bez Problemu! by PWN. Either way, it is unlikely that I would start this language until the Summer. I have enough on my plate with German, Greek and Hebrew (and Japanese as a fun language). Still, I'll outline my current ideas for both resources below:

Polski bez Problemu!
I really do not know enough about this text to anticipate what specific plan I might want to enact. Based on my research I believe that it is suppose to be a collection of three textbooks (supposedly with English explanations) that got from A1 to C1. But should I choose this option I would endeavor to complete at least the first textbook (presumably the A1-2 level one).

First-Year Polish
This course is a beast. Especially with the supplementary workbooks and audio that I have. Assuming a Summer start time for this course, I would probably not be able to complete the textbook by the end of the year. But I would hope to get maybe half way? Let's say Lesson 15? It's a lot to tackle and very much FSI style learning with plenty of drills (thanks, workbooks!). I actually greatly appreciate the drills. Especially the audio drills (both spoken and dictation).

Assuming I am able to finish a textbook or two in other languages and get that foot in the door I have wanted and thus am able to start this in the Summer, it will become a 365 Challenge language. But that's a lot of conditions to fulfill in order for that to happen. Worse case hope is a later start in the Fall. Worse case scenario, a start in 2024.

Once I decide to start, I'll use Testus Swój Polski - Fonetyka by Kołaczek during the initial phase. I'm hoping, similarly to German, that I can complete it in a matter of 1-2 months.

Gaeilge
I was contemplating starting this one, and doing it more or less like Japanese (not putting too much focus on it, putting it aside as necessary for courses and/or other goals, etc), but I think I'm going to be more reasonable and hold off. I do hope to get started with it in earnest in 2023, but we'll see how it plays out.

When I do start it, I'll use Teach Yourself Irish (1960's edition) as my main resource, but I'll also use some "easy" readers I've picked up from Breacadh and the works of Ua Laoghaire that have audio on Corkirish.com to supplement the grammar textbook. (Wow, I just learned that O'Leary went to Maynooth College [a.k.a. St. Patrick's Pontifical University] where I'm going right now. Cool!) Where as I have struggled in the past with which dialect/textbook to learn (from) first, enough is enough. I'm too used to Munster Irish now to bother trying to start new with something else. Though my eventual plans remain learning the other two dialects as well. Especially Connacht. (The legit dialects, not the CO. Though I should expect that to come easily enough after a dialect or two have made some good head way.) But at this point that is neither here nor there.

If I do manage to start another run through Teach Yourself Irish, it'll depend on when I start it, but I may look to finish it. It's not a very long textbook. But we'll see when we get there. And size isn't everything. As with Polish, worse case scenario, I start it in 2024. I am hoping that I can capitalize on being in Ireland to take a Gaeltacht course in Kerry eventually, but that will obviously depend on my staying on and being able to finish my degree. We shall see about that in (presumably) April.

Once I do start Irish, I plan to use Understanding Irish Spelling by Stenson & Hickey to help iron out issues of spelling and pronunciation. Depending on how well they deal with dialectal differences. Admittedly I've only glanced at the pdf book, so I'm not sure how well what's done. I have Ó Cuiv's older phonetic study of Muskerry Irish as a dialect specific back-up/supplement either way.

I will plan to post updates once a week, if not sooner, depending on the circumstances. I'll post my first set of goals for this week tomorrow January 1, 2023.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”