Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Three's Company (European Edition) [de + pl + ga]

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:11 pm

0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 pm

I'm giving myself the "challenge" to get as far as possible in Teach Yourself Irish (1960's edition) by May 31. I hope to finish it by then, but I'm not going to pressure myself into doing so.

That way I can start German by June. And, I'll do what I can to maintain my Irish (no matter how far I've made it) from June and beyond.

I've started reviewing Lesson 1, and hope to move on to lesson 2 before the weekend. I'm sure I can pump out the first 5 or so lessons in rapid pace, having gone through them quite well a few years ago. It's amazing how much I remember, even if just the basics.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:39 pm

Bhuel, I've gone through and done the Béarla -> Gaelainn exercises for Lesson 1, and didn't complete crap the bed. (Most of the mistakes were of the "reading the English too fast" variety.)

I'll probably complete Lesson 2 tomorrow.

I'm tempting to start writing out the exercises here with IPA for the individual sentences, but I'm not sure if that would be well received or not.

I'm also looking for places where I might be able to get my written Irish (once I get a bit deeper in the grammar to be able to write more than just "this is a cat. The cat is nice" etc :P ) corrected. Maybe something like a Lang-8 or I'm not sure if ILF would be a good place for that. I'm not really interested in Discord (yet!), as I like the formatting of forums and blogs. Better for isolating corrections and notes. Figured I'd open that up to the floor.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:05 am

I've begun creating a Google Doc with the exercises on them and IPA underneath each sentence. As I state in the document itself, I am mainly doing this to get a feel of the pronunciation and a better understanding of the phonology of the West Munster dialect. I gladly welcome comments and/or corrections, as I am but a wee beginner. (Even grammar and vocabulary corrections/comments are welcome, even though it is not the chief aim.)

I'm hardly an expert on IPA or Irish phonology either, so corrections/suggestions for notation are equally welcome.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hwf ... sp=sharing

I'll probably start in on my Memrise project again soon as well.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:48 pm

I've also started a grammar notebook in Google Docs as well, which I'll fillout as I work my way through TYI. As coverage on any one topic is spread out through the lessons, updates and changes will be frequent for the time being. I just wanted some quick notes/charts I could reference without hunting through the book. I'll mostly be focusing on the Modern colloquial language and usage, so these notes are not going to be comprehensive or cover outdated topics (like the old dative plural or certain verbal forms, for example).

As with the other doc, comments/corrections/suggestions are more than welcome!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jNl ... sp=sharing
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am

księżycowy wrote:I've also started a grammar notebook in Google Docs as well, which I'll fillout as I work my way through TYI. As coverage on any one topic is spread out through the lessons, updates and changes will be frequent for the time being. I just wanted some quick notes/charts I could reference without hunting through the book. I'll mostly be focusing on the Modern colloquial language and usage, so these notes are not going to be comprehensive or cover outdated topics (like the old dative plural or certain verbal forms, for example).

As with the other doc, comments/corrections/suggestions are more than welcome!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jNl ... sp=sharing

I'd really like to cross-reference everything with my two grammars of Kerry Irish (An Teanga Bheo: Corca Dhuibhne and Gaeilge Chorca Dhuibhne), but those are back in the States. I'll have to confuse myself with Ward's pdf Thesis for the time being. (That's not to say I distrust the information given in TYI, just to say it is a bit dated. Even the authors note this in the introduction and peppered through out the lessons.)

I've also gone ahead and bought Fuaimeanna na Gaeilge to (hopefully) help complement Ó Cuiv's older study.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:12 am

So far I've more of less made it through the first three lessons. I have been flipping back to remember verb forms and the masculine singular genitive and (all gender) dative forms. But that's nothing Anki can't fix. I've been lazy and haven't quite put any of the lessons beyond the first one into Anki. I plan to review and re-review the textbook as I go through. I think I'll stagger it, so that I review lesson 1 once I start lesson 4. I can remember from my Greek textbook that Mounce recommends looking back at a previous chapter after about 3 chapters. I don't want to beat this dead horse to super death, but I feel a third review would be a good idea as well. I'll stop there, as I feel 3 times through the book in rapid succession is overkill itself, let alone anything more. I do realize that I can learn languages without extensive drills, but I do prefer that heavy drill/FSI style instruction because it hammers in the grammar and vocabulary. I'm hoping this review heavy approach will mimic that (at least to some degree). So, tentatively, I'll start my third review sweep at lesson 6 (which will be first review of Lesson 3 and second and final review of Lesson 1). I'll obviously tweak and adjust things as I continue on. If this works well, it might be how I continue forward with learning in general, but let's see how it goes with the current Irish and take it from there.

I've also started to think about using one of those journaling sites* for some output correction. This is mostly for when I get later into the book, but I would like to effectively get corrections (and since I'm a poor-ass postgraduate student, free is best) and will explore this option as I continue on.

* Like Lang-8, but probably not specifically Lang-8, even though I do have an active account there last I checked (a few years ago, after the shut down of new accounts). I like the look and feel of Langcorrect, but absolutely hate that they basically force you to give corrections to be able to post entries for correction. I get that they probably are doing that to make an active community, but f-that. (Apparently a Premium subscription gets rid of that block, but even at $8/month, that's a bit steep to me.) So I'm probably going with Journaly, which as far as I can see does not do this.

EDIT: Typos and such.
Last edited by księżycowy on Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:24 am

księżycowy wrote:I've also started to think about using one of those journaling sites* for some output correction. This is mostly for when I get later into the book, but I would like to effectively get corrections (and since I'm a poor-ass postgraduate student, free is best) and will explore this option as I continue on.

For Irish, trust none of them. Especially if you're wanting to write in Cork Irish.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:42 am

galaxyrocker wrote:For Irish, trust none of them. Especially if you're wanting to write in Cork Irish.

Oh, I'll take everything and anything given to me in corrections with a grain of salt, don't worry.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:07 pm

Well, I can't say "when it rains, it pours", but geez if this year hasn't been a slow burn of health issues. I'm not laid up or in dire straights, but my attention has been focused on some of this over the past week and a half or so. Not to get into details, but a prior condition is flaring up and I'm trying to do everything that I can to get back on my meds for it (both back home in the States, and here in Ireland, in the hope I do return this coming September), as I haven't been able to take them since I moved last September. So yeah, not much language study, I'm afraid.

I'm still holding on in Hebrew, and still doing well, so I think I'll be fine on that front at least. I'll take that for the win it is! Only two more classes! Then it's back to the States on the 1st!
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”